Trump General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my longest friend (at least, of those with whom I'm still close) currently lives in Georgia. Since the election she's been almost too afraid to go outside. Two of her friends have had guns pulled on them by people shouting pro-Trump slogans. Both are fine, fortunately. One was let go because he was white, because the person who pulled the gun on him didn't twig this guy is as gay as it gets.

Also, I love the people saying "oh it'll be fine, it will all blow over". Yeah, it will be fine until it's not. Sure, many of us were greatly disappointed in Bush's victory - and especially his re-election - but that was more embarrassment and mockery. Nobody thought this was fascistic, or white nationalistic, or whatever. This campaign has unleashed some unpleasant forces, much like similar events have done in Europe (and to a lesser extent in Australia). The current trend of global events is not positive. We do not know whether shit will hit the fan, or how much. But I do not have a good feeling about the current political trajectory of the West. Whatever happens or does not happen, this moment ought to at least be a good lesson in historical contingency.

The folks who voted for Trump voted for racism, xenophobia, and white nationalism. They also gave their support for sexual assault. They also gave approval to the alt-right white supremacists who surround his campaign like Steve Brannon, who may become his chief of staff.

These individuals themselves may not be racist, xenophobic, or white nationalists. But they voted for it.

What a privilege it must be to vote for such things because it won't ever affect you.

Ahhh just keep repeating the mantra 'racism, xenophobia, and white nationalism'

The mantra that has been repeated over and over and over. Beaten into the brains of free-thinking Americans by liberals on Facebook, the Media. They got to voting booth and the weren't sick of minorities and Muslims, they were sick of being told they were racists by smug people that did not know them.

This is why you lost.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The mantra that has been repeated over and over and over. Beaten into the brains of free-thinking Americans by liberals on Facebook, the Media. They got to voting booth and the weren't sick of minorities and Muslims, they were sick of being told they were racists by smug people that did not know them.

This is why you lost.

I think the whole world has lost

Ps - you do realise Clinton actually won though don't you?

"My side" excels at hysteria? This from the "Merry Christmas" freak-out-about-a-Starbucks-cup crowd?

I am an Independent and not necessarily evangelical, though i have my beliefs, but if you can find anywhere where i have freaked out about a Starbucks cup then please make me aware of it.

Don't ever tell me about the victim card. People like Mike Pence have the power and ability to reduce my (apparently) money making bragging ass and reduce me to a "choice" that requires conversion therapy and people can deny me a hotel at the inn or my marriage license or a seat at the counter or a hospital visit. That's the fear. That no matter what I do, or who I am, I can be reduced to a faggot and discarded as such. THESE are the people who want to take something from me. Not Mexicans, not Muslims, not anyone else. I vote for the working classes, for the urban poor, for people less fortunate than I. I vote against the Donald Trumps of the world.

Yeah Mike Pence, i don't like him as much on social issues as you might think, in fact i find the conversion therapy disgusting and i support marriage equality. I hope that same sex marriage and the repeal of DADT are upheld to be honest. However keeping all of Americans safe, to include our LGBT brothers and sisters, is very important now more than ever. Mike Pence will never cut your head off, set you on fire in a cage, or throw you off of a building because of your sexual orientation.

You voted for a man who makes Putin and ISIS happy. You have been conned. We are less safe because of your vote.

I prefer not to go to war with Putin or Russia. ISIS wants to kill you, not me, not TRUMP or PENCE. HRC just wanted your vote, she doesn't really care about you and she was never with your or on your side. That is a fallacy. You were conned into believing that she was on your side when her foundation took millions of dollars from governments who have outlawed homosexuality - punishable by death. HRC created ISIS through her foreign policy and now they want to come here and kill you. You were conned. Thank GOD that now we have TRUMP and he's not going to let that happen.

2016-05-11-1462978686-3140956-trump-thumb.jpg

Win so much, we'll be tired of all the winning.

I should stop. I'm angry.

NOT BECAUSE WE "LOST," but because America died on Tuesday.

It's not a competition. We have elected an ignorant authoritarian. Truth and fact are dead. And the minority who voted for this horrible sexual assaulting man won't admit it.

I woke up this morning in America once again and i am relieved to say that we are still here or not dead :up:

Hillary took millions from Persian Gulf Countries into the Foundation. Countries that condemn gays to death just for being who they are.

Trump called on her to return the money. What say you?

Fiscal Blood Money Conversion Refund

So you're saying its OK for Hillary's supporters to go around calling any Trump supporter racist etc.?
Just want to get that straight.
Because someone supported Clinton, they have carte blanche to treat folks who voted the other way whatever names they want, knowing nothing about that person?

But only the folks who voted for Trump are the problem here.
Got it.

This is why you lost.

All very good points :up:

I am an Independent and not necessarily evangelical, though i have my beliefs, but if you can find anywhere where i have freaked out about a Starbucks cup then please make me aware of it.

Yeah Mike Pence, i don't like him as much on social issues as you might think, in fact i find the conversion therapy disgusting and i support marriage equality. I hope that same sex marriage and the repeal of DADT are upheld to be honest. However keeping all of Americans safe, to include our LGBT brothers and sisters, is very important now more than ever. Mike Pence will never cut your head off, set you on fire in a cage, or throw you off of a building because of your sexual orientation.

I prefer not to go to war with Putin or Russia. ISIS wants to kill you, not me, not TRUMP or PENCE. HRC just wanted your vote, she doesn't really care about you and she was never with your or on your side. That is a fallacy. You were conned into believing that she was on your side when her foundation took millions of dollars from governments who have outlawed homosexuality - punishable by death. HRC created ISIS through her foreign policy and now they want to come here and kill you. You were conned. Thank GOD that now we have TRUMP and he's not going to let that happen.

are you for real? :lol:

(thanks btw - i reaaaaaally needed the laugh)

I'm really sad things have gotten so ugly in here.

I'm also really mad about the state of things in general.

..... that's all I've got.

I'm really sad things have gotten so ugly in here.

Agreed.
Though I suppose we shouldn't be surprised after such a divisive campaign season that the results cause further division.
I'm just a tad surprised at the level some of the vitriol and who its coming from, but hopefully things will settle down here and everywhere over time.

Yeah, it's tough because I agree with a lot of the points being made by Irvine etc, and I'm outraged at what Ashley (and others I've seen elsewhere) described happening to her nephew, and I have a lot of the same angry feelings, but still.

I don't know. It just all sucks. I'm sad and mad and angry and disappointed and all those things.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Though I suppose we shouldn't be surprised after such a divisive campaign season that the results cause further division.

I'm just a tad surprised at the level some of the vitriol and who its coming from, but hopefully things will settle down here and everywhere over time.

I'm trying to cool down, but I think this is an important point:

People aren't mad because they lost.

People are legitmately scared.

This is very, very different from 2000 or 2004.

I'm trying to cool down, but I think this is an important point:

People aren't mad because they lost.

People are legitmately scared.

This is very, very different from 2000 or 2004.

This is bad - I don't intend at all to diminish it. But I remember a similar atmosphere in 2004, where anti-gay policies were bandied about indiscriminately throughout W's campaign and Muslims were still facing an incredibly hostile environment. Even the smear campaign on a long-serving public figure is reminiscent of 2004. I remember the gay marriage issue being a major factor in Ohio among other places going red.

The important point IMO is that election galvanized the left in ways that paved the way for Obama; that's what needs to happen now as well. Going back and forth with racism allegations isn't going to help anything at this point.

Yeah, I like how whenever Islamic extremists commit a horrific crime, the right always demands that Muslims need to speak up against said extremists to prove they don't support such violence. When black people commit crimes, the right demands black people have to speak out against that stuff, that they need to take care of the problems in their own community. The left's "SJW" rhetoric is why they lost, because their words alienated a lot of people. And so on.

When Trump makes offensive sexual remarks about women, or insults all Mexicans and Muslims, however, when Klan members are holding rallies in support of his win and he gets an endorsement from David Duke, and people STILL vote for him after all of that?

"Well, you can't call all his supporters racists/sexists/xenophobes! We're not responsible for his actions! Just 'cause we voted for him doesn't mean we endorse what he says and does!"

Mmkay. Yep. That's totally fair and logical.

If the left/Muslims/black people have to take responsibility for the shitty actions of some in their group, guess what, Trump supporters, so do you.

No, it isn't.

But it sure sounds like a convenient way to deflect blame for some extremely harmful rhetoric.

I was the first one to warn against Hillary's baggage as a liability in Spring 2015. FYM dismissed it as hogwash.

I calmly explained the dynamic of how the Democrats drifted too far left to retain working class voters versus Trump. FYM said it didn't matter.

I said Trump would win Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. FYM laughed hysterically.

If the Democratic Party gets stuck in a time loop of blaming the loss and voters on 'harmful rhetoric' the Senate losses will be dramatic in 2018.

I was the first one to warn against Hillary's baggage as a liability in Spring 2015. FYM dismissed it as hogwash.

I calmly explained the dynamic of how the Democrats drifted too far left to retain working class voters versus Trump. FYM said it didn't matter.

I said Trump would win Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. FYM laughed hysterically.

If the Democratic Party gets stuck in a time loop of blaming the loss and voters on 'harmful rhetoric' the Senate losses will be dramatic in 2018.

Right. And Hillary's baggage had a hell of a lot more to do with Trump's win than hurt feelings on the right.

Otherwise, I would assume more of them would have turned out. More so than Mittens' crowd, at any rate. But a lot of these vengeful conservatives saw fit to just stay home.

Last edited:

In fairness, I'm pretty sure you said Trump was going to win every single state but California, Illinois, and oddly, Maryland.

I'll give you your credit for Pennsylvania because there was some content there, but you made this sound like a popular revolt against Clinton. It wasn't. Electoral college-wise it wasn't close, and arguably as big of a landslide as any republican is eligible for.

It was still nothing near your map.

In fairness, I'm pretty sure you said Trump was going to win every single state but California, Illinois, and oddly, Maryland.

I'll give you your credit for Pennsylvania because there was some content there, but you made this sound like a popular revolt against Clinton. It wasn't. Electoral college-wise it wasn't close, and arguably as big of a landslide as any republican is eligible for.

It was still nothing near your map.

My final map I missed Virginia, NH, CO, NV, Maine, and MN

I was closer than anybody else

Yeah...about that... "I have a plan to defeat ISIS in 30 days" ? Not gonna happen. You were conned. And keep dreaming they can't come, whoever's in the White House. How's that for a con ?

I'll just leave the rest since you don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom