Trump General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs Garrison, I've never interacted with you as far as I'm aware, but may I ask you a few questions? Deep, Oregoropa and others please answer too if inclined.

1: Do you condone the 'shit' Trump said, posted, promised etc during the campaign, specifically the anti minorities/women/climate etc?
2: Presuming you answer 'no' to the above, did you all along think he was lying about those positions, and are therefore not as worried as others that he will act them out?
3: It seems obvious lots of people DID take him literally and are acting out hateful shit at the moment against minorities - is the onus on Republicans, in your opinion, to fix that?

I'm not winding you up or having a go, I'm truly interested. Someone said, on CNN maybe, that we have to stop shouting and start listening. So I'm listening.

Mrs Garrison, I've never interacted with you as far as I'm aware, but may I ask you a few questions? Deep, Oregoropa and others please answer too if inclined.

1: Do you condone the 'shit' Trump said, posted, promised etc during the campaign, specifically the anti minorities/women/climate etc?
2: Presuming you answer 'no' to the above, did you all along think he was lying about those positions, and are therefore not as worried as others that he will act them out?
3: It seems obvious lots of people DID take him literally and are acting out hateful shit at the moment against minorities - is the onus on Republicans, in your opinion, to fix that?

I'm not winding you up or having a go, I'm truly interested. Someone said, on CNN maybe, that we have to stop shouting and start listening. So I'm listening.

To try and answer your questions, i don't condone everything that was said on the campaign. What i am concerned about first and foremost is keeping the country safe, which in my humble opinion means we need stronger leadership than what we currently have...OR....perhaps a change in direction.
Obviously i was not alone.

I don't believe TRUMP will live up to everything he said he was going to do, but who knows. That doesn't mean he necessarily lied, it means he said a lot of stuff on the trail but once a person gets into office they realize some of the things they said were not even feasible. I hope that makes sense.

The job of any new administration is to try and bring people together. So absolutely it is on them to try and get that done, or fix it, as you say. The country needs it and i hope people do listen. Thank you for the thought-provoking post :up:

The sun rose this morning. The world has not ended. I live in the best city in the best country on this earth.

I get to smile as my bus crosses the Harbour Bridge, while I look at a city that needs my support.

Oh...when did you last buy a homeless guy something to eat?

Funny you should mention that, I was getting out of my car the other day at a shopping center when a 30-something (apparently) homeless lady approached me and asked me for some change. I explained to her that i did not have any change on me. However i offered to buy her some food once i came out of the shopping center if she was hungry. She told me to "go fuck myself" and turned and walked away.

Funny you should mention that, I was getting out of my car the other day at a shopping center when a 30-something (apparently) homeless lady approached me and asked me for some change. I explained to her that i did not have any change on me. However i offered to buy her some food once i came out of the shopping center if she was hungry. She told me to "go fuck myself" and turned and walked away.

Oh, you're equating one asshole to cover an entire group of people?

Yeah I shouldn't be surprised.

One of my best girlfriends is in the US right now, has been there all week by happenstance. She is a professional, accountant and MBA who lives in a fairly wealthy exurb of Toronto and is a conservative voter both provincially and federally. This is not some unemployed leftist radical vegan we are talking about. She also happens to be a person of colour married to a white man and they have a biracial daughter. She texted me today saying she can't wait to get home because she feels awkward and uncomfortable walking on the street.

So Mrs. Garrison and et al. do you think people like her are making it up? Imagining it? Why is it incumbent upon THEM to come together and unify? Is it not the sole responsibility of the man who fomented this racism and these division to do so? And I'm sorry but after a year or more of hurling obscenities at everyone not a white straight male, you think that one or two sentences in a victory speech is it? So now these people who are living in genuine fear are the ones who have to make it all better.

This is to say nothing of how Republicans behaved when Obama won. Except W, he was the class of the field it has to be said.

One of my best girlfriends is in the US right now, has been there all week by happenstance. She is a professional, accountant and MBA who lives in a fairly wealthy exurb of Toronto and is a conservative voter both provincially and federally. This is not some unemployed leftist radical vegan we are talking about. She also happens to be a person of colour married to a white man and they have a biracial daughter. She texted me today saying she can't wait to get home because she feels awkward and uncomfortable walking on the street.

So Mrs. Garrison and et al. do you think people like her are making it up? Imagining it? Why is it incumbent upon THEM to come together and unify? Is it not the sole responsibility of the man who fomented this racism and these division to do so? And I'm sorry but after a year or more of hurling obscenities at everyone not a white straight male, you think that one or two sentences in a victory speech is it? So now these people who are living in genuine fear are the ones who have to make it all better.

This is to say nothing of how Republicans behaved when Obama won. Except W, he was the class of the field it has to be said.

I don't know your friend's situation or where she lives but i am sorry she feels that way. Tell her to move to Oklahoma, we are friendly to everyone.

I am sure it is real if she felt that way. When i suggested people in here unify, it was from my heart, i am not putting the onus on liberals to unify or conservatives or whatever. I was trying to encourage everyone to do so. Obviously that did not work out. Maybe in time i hope.

As for the nation, yes TRUMP has a lot of work ahead of him. He needs to bring people together. What i am seeing now is pretty bad, i don't remember it being this bad when Obama won, that's my opinion of course, feel free to differ.

Let me ask this of you, is coming together or unifying wrong? I cannot imagine this country surviving if we dont...

Thanks Mrs Garrison. I guess in that context it is a little easier for me to understand people deciding the way you did.

Regardless, the US and UK results show something I didn't know existed to this extent, that absolute intolerance of traditional political elitism. That I can accept. It's the blatant hate speech I can't figure out.

I guess I equate much of the Trump movement with the 1930s Germany, and that's a bit silly on my part. There are similarities but it's a different time, different country, different movement.

I have to adjust my mindset to one that clearly understands Trump voters as rational, caring, intelligent humans. The only people who can help me with that are Trump supporters. So please keep trying.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Thanks Mrs Garrison. I guess in that context it is a little easier for me to understand people deciding the way you did.

Regardless, the US and UK results show something I didn't know existed to this extent, that absolute intolerance of traditional political elitism. That I can accept. It's the blatant hate speech I can't figure out.

I guess I equate much of the Trump movement with the 1930s Germany, and that's a bit silly on my part. There are similarities but it's a different time, different country, different movement.

I have to adjust my mindset to one that clearly understands Trump voters as rational, caring, intelligent humans. The only people who can help me with that are Trump supporters. So please keep trying.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

You are very welcome and thank you for this post. :up:

Let me ask this of you, is coming together or unifying wrong? I cannot imagine this country surviving if we dont...

No, that is the ultimate goal.

But you don't get to be the person who has hurled obscenities at every minority group and has NORMALIZED racism, misogyny and xenophobia and then expect others to fall in line overnight. Your side won, YOU need to be the bigger person and reach out and heal the divide. And by you I mean Trump and his voters.

I don't understand your comment about Obama and it not being bad. We had Trump and his ilk attempt to delegitimize his citizenship, we had how many Republican county chairs and so on sending around e-mails and flyers superimposing Obama and Michelle's faces on orangutan bodies (like nobody remembers this anymore? please), we had Rush Limbaugh directing his listeners to hope that Obama fails, Republican leadership talking about making a policy his Waterloo and so on. If you cannot see how Barack Obama was disrespected for the entirety of his presidency by the right then truly this conversation is pointless. The indignities he has taken with extraordinary class are countless. A testament to him and an indictment of every racist out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom