Trump General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a historic context of the past 8 years Palin's nomination as VP was the point conception of the fetal Trump nourished by the growth of the Tea Party placenta.

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1478810673.388656.jpg

Lord I apologize for that visual as we approach dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

But Trump has promised an economic agenda that will increase the ranks of the uninsured by tens of millions, that will eliminate crucial safety net programs for low- and moderate-income Americans, that could start a trade war that drives up prices and devastates the economy, and that will put in place a tax code that exacerbates inequality and leaves many families with children worse off.

Good ol' "trickle down" economics strikes again :up:.

There's a word for doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time...

There's always faithless electors.

All we need is 20 of them.

If they're anything like my time in the United Kingdom so far... they could always tell mister Trump that his Floridian delegates were improperly filed and take two months to reinstate but continue to fuck it up even then, leaving him without a [White] House to live in.

True story.

In a historic context of the past 8 years Palin's nomination as VP was the point conception of the fetal Trump nourished by the growth of the Tea Party placenta.

View attachment 10969

Lord I apologize for that visual as we approach dinner.

So, in essence, we can blame a desperate John McCain.

And if we want to go even further, we can blame George W. Bush for his dirty campaign tactics that pushed McCain from the bid.

Damn you, Georgie.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russian-...ontact-with-the-trump-campaign-165347421.html

Donald Trump’s spokeswoman says that if there was any contact between members of the president-elect’s campaign and the Russian government, she was not aware of it.

“I do not know of any campaign official that was communicating with any foreign entity during the campaign,” Hope Hicks, Trump’s longtime spokeswoman, told Yahoo News on Thursday.

She said this after a top Russian diplomat told the state-run Interfax news agency that there was a routine line of communication between Moscow and the Trump campaign during the lead-up to Tuesday’s presidential election.

“Obviously, we know most of the people from his entourage,” Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said. “Those people have always been in the limelight in the United States and have occupied high-ranking positions. I cannot say that all of them but quite a few have been staying in touch with Russian representatives.”

Throughout the campaign, Trump and his campaign repeatedly denied having any connection with the Kremlin, while the U.S. government said it believed Russia was behind a series of cyberattacks aimed at influencing the election. The attacks released thousands of embarrassing emails from the Democratic National Committee and Clinton’s campaign chair John Podesta.

Earlier this month, the New York Times reported that FBI had conducted a preliminary investigation into possible electronic communications between the Trump Organization and servers connected to a Russian bank, but the bureau failed to find a direct link. The bureau reportedly concluded that the interaction could have been a coincidence.

Oh, and there's also this not at all unnerving quote from Trump from a while back:

During an interview with MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” late last year, Trump explained why he defied U.S. leaders on both sides of the aisle to embrace Putin.

“He’s running his country, and at least he’s a leader,” Trump said when host Joe Scarborough brought up allegations that Putin kills journalists. “Unlike what we have in this country.”

So. Yeah.

Back to prognostication as the FYM Bookie

When we talk about Trump picking cabinet positions we must factor in his managerial style and his value on loyalty in the inner-circle. Even when he let Corey Lewandowski go, he became a commentator on CNN only to troll them on Trump's behalf.

Pence was Trump's first hire and it paid huge dividends. He was a popular mainline conservative with beltway and Gubernatorial experience. His Midwest candor made them a dynamic duo in the Rust Belt push. Trump successfully targeted those population pockets that made the difference.

Rudy Giuliani can have a pick of whatever he wants. Seems like the obvious pick for AG. Word is he would rather State or Defense.

Chris Christie is leading the transition team, but his stock is down based upon 2 cohorts being convicted in Bridgegate

Chief of Staff: Reince Preibus. Take it to the bank (The big MVP of the cycle. Very fair during the primaries. Hit the trail with Trump. In the end takes credit for holding the Senate)

Secretary of State: Newt, Bob Corker, John Bolton, Rudy

Attorney General: Rudy, Trey Gowdy, Pam Bondi

Defense: Jeff Sessions, Rudy, Duncan Hunter Jr (Active Military has to wait seven years before becoming a Civilian head of Defense Department)

NSA : Gen. Michael Flynn

Health and Human Services: Newt, Carson, Rick Scott (I feel Newt may end up here first to untangle Obamacare and he's wonkish enough to craft a replacement)

Treasury: Rep. Jeb Hensarling, Carl Ichan, Steve Mnuchin

Education: Ben Carson

DHS: Christie

Agriculture: Sam Brownback

Interior: Jan Brewer, Mary Fallin, Sarah Palin (I give Palin 4:1 odds, Trump is bullish on opening up more land to fracking, Palin was head of the Alaska Oil Commission (not sure if it is the exact name) and broke-up the old boys network before becoming Governor))

Press Secretary: Laura Ingraham (played Hillary in debate prep)

Wild Cards Rick Perry (Vet Affairs), Steve Bannon, Kellyanne Conway, Venture Capitalist Robert Grady (maybe Energy), Sonny Perdue, Huckabee, Sheriff David Clarke

I'd rather a bunch of Wall Street fucks and corporate junkies than the leftovers of the shitty failed Republican campaigns. Give me Lewandowski any day over Rudy, Christie, Palin, Newt, etc. etc.

So an acquaintance of mine lives in rural Part of the country, they made this post on fb today, "I have a question for all of my friends. Are you seeing blatant racism (people yelling at African Americans and Hispanics) in the name of Trump's win? Apparently it's happening here in ... but it's nowhere in the media. I'm chalking it up to ignorant rednecks. Giving true conservatives a bad name."

Half of their friends are chiming in with similar stories, the other half are saying "are you kidding, there's stories like this all over today", and one is blaming Obama supporters saying they're pretending to be Trump supporters so Obama can enact "marshall" law.

This IS isolationist media at work. She is genuinely shocked that these stories are happening in her backyard. Racism in the empowering of Trump was all glorified liberal hyperbole. This is what you voted for.

Carson is better suited for Agriculture, I mean he knows all the grain is stored in Vegas.

Or maybe Department of Zombie Studies?

I have several gay couple friends who are engaged and planning weddings over the course of 2017.

They are all considering rushing to the court house before January 20.

Must be nice not to have to worry about such things.

I'm late on this, but this is a good example of the sky-is-falling thought process that is really working me up a wall, lately.

I protested Trump long before he got the nomination. I hated the idea of this man from before the first GOP debate.

That said, it's as though we're just going to think up every horrible thing and say, "yes, that right there - that's what he's going to do."

How could he possibly affect gay marriage on January 20? Unless I'm overlooking something, this is virtually impossible.

my emotions are still all over the map, and i'm headed to "real" America in about a week for Thanksgiving. i've been there. i won't say i know it, but i'm a frequent tourist.

there is no "real" America. there are many Americas. and a lot of this stuff is true.

I’m a Coastal Elite From the Midwest: The Real Bubble is Rural America
Posted Nov 10, 2016 12:52 PM
By Patrick Thornton

I’m from the rural Midwest. I now live in Washington, D.C. All of this talk about coastal elites needing to understand more of America has it backward.

My home county in Ohio is 97 percent white. It, like a lot of other very unrepresentative counties, went heavily for Donald Trump.

My high school had about 950 students. Two were Asian. One was Hispanic. Zero were Muslim. All the teachers were white.

My high school had more convicted sexual predator teachers than minority teachers. That’s a rural American story.

In many of these areas, the only Muslims you see are in movies like “American Sniper.” (I knew zero Muslims before going to college in another state.) You never see gay couples or even interracial ones. Much of rural and exurban American is a time capsule to America’s past.

And on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2016, they dug it up.

The first gay person I knew personally was my college roommate — a great man who made me a better person. But that’s an experience I would have never had if I didn’t go to college and instead decided to live the rest of my life in my hometown.

That was when I realized that not supporting gay marriage meant to actively deny rights to someone I knew personally. I wouldn’t be denying marriage rights to other people; I would be denying marriage rights to Dave. I would have to look Dave in the eye and say, “Dave, you deserve fewer rights than me. You deserve a lesser human experience.”

When you grow up in rural America, denying rights to people is an abstract concept. Denying marriage rights to gay people isn’t that much different than denying boarding rights to Klingons.

I have some extended family in rural New Jersey. Some of them had never been to D.C. before visiting me. They had never made the short drive to see the Constitution in person. They had not seen the Apollo moon lander, nor George Washington’s Revolutionary War uniform.

And they certainly have not seen the new National Museum of African American History and Culture. They’ve never seen the extent of American greatness or its messiness.

To pin this election on the coastal elite is a cop-out. It’s intellectually dishonest, and it’s beneath us.

We, as a culture, have to stop infantilizing and deifying rural and white working-class Americans. Their experience is not more of a real American experience than anyone else’s, but when we say that it is, we give people a pass from seeing and understanding more of their country. More Americans need to see more of the United States. They need to shake hands with a Muslim, or talk soccer with a middle aged lesbian, or attend a lecture by a female business executive.

We must start asking all Americans to be their better selves. We must all understand that America is a melting pot and that none of us has a more authentic American experience.

If we pin this election on coastal elites, we are excusing white working-class and rural Americans for voting for a man accused of violating the Fair Housing Act by refusing to rent apartments to black people. If we pin this election on coastal elites, we are excusing white working-class and rural Americans for voting for a man who called Mexicans rapists, drug dealers and criminals. If we pin this election on coastal elites, we are excusing white working-class and rural Americans for voting for a man who called for a complete ban on Muslim immigration.

I have friends and acquaintances who are Trump supporters. They genuinely do not understand today’s shock, particularly from minorities. These Trump supporters do not understand that many minorities believe the people who voted for Trump endorse his racism and bigotry — that those voters care more about sending a message to the political establishment than they do about the rights and welfare of human beings.

And, of course, people on the coasts could stand to meet more rural and exurban people, to understand why they are anxious about a changing world and less economic opportunity. But rural and exurban people need to see more of America. People do not understand the depths of how little rural America travels and sees other people and cultures.

I’m from the Midwest, and I love the Midwest, but it’s not representative of modern America. We cannot fetishize it as “real” America. It’s part of America — a great, big, beautiful, messy republic — but just a part.

What we are seeing is a reaction to a rapidly changing world. A world that is becoming more connected. A world that is more diverse. A world where education and skills are necessary for good jobs.

Change has not been kind to the Midwest and rural America.

And rather than embrace it, rural and white working-class Americans are twisting and turning, fighting it every step of the way. We will never return to the days where a white man could barely graduate high school and walk onto a factory floor at 18 and get a well-paying job for life. That hasn’t set in for much of the Midwest.

This doesn’t mean that coastal Americans can’t empathize more with their fellow Americans and try to find solutions to these problems (nor does it mean that there aren’t many struggling working-class people in coastal states). And it certainly doesn’t mean coastal Americans haven’t contributed to this divisiveness.

Let me tell you about the Ohio I know: It’s the birth place of the Wright Brothers and our first astronauts, John Glenn and Neil Armstrong. It’s where the generals who won the Civil War came from and the politicians that led Reconstruction after our darkest hour.

It’s a place where no matter how improbably the Browns lose year after year, people keep showing up, always holding out hope for next year. It’s a place of deep pride.

It’s not flyover country. It’s a place worth visiting.

We are all real Americans, and it’s time we start empathizing with one another more.

P.S. This piece started as a tweetstorm on Twitter. I got a message from a high school classmate who now lives in Arizona. He had this to say, “I can’t believe what you tweeted was true. I never thought of that before.”

When you are in the white bubble, you just don’t know it.

- See more at: I’m a Coastal Elite From the Midwest: The Real Bubble is Rural America

I'm late on this, but this is a good example of the sky-is-falling thought process that is really working me up a wall, lately.

I protested Trump long before he got the nomination. I hated the idea of this man from before the first GOP debate.

That said, it's as though we're just going to think up every horrible thing and say, "yes, that right there - that's what he's going to do."

How could he possibly affect gay marriage on January 20? Unless I'm overlooking something, this is virtually impossible.

we thought Trump's election would be virtually impossible.

NOM has laid out a plan. social conservatives sense an opening. SCOTUS has been somehow functioning with only 8 members since February and now Trump is going to appoint the 9th, Scalia's second coming.

look at Mike Pence and his horrible, horrible record on LGBT people.

telling me not to be scared reeks of privilege. that's some straight-splaining.

of course i hope you're right, and to his credit, the only deplorable Trump didn't exploit was homophobia. i also think that most Americans don't care much about SSM anymore.

but then most Americans didn't vote for Trump.

Last edited:
we thought Trump's election would be virtually impossible.

NOM has laid out a plan. social conservatives sense an opening. SCOTUS has been somehow functioning with only 8 members since February and now Trump is going to appoint the 9th, Scalia's second coming.

look at Mike Pence and his horrible, horrible record of LGBT people.

telling me not to be scared reeks of privilege. that's some straight-splaining.

of course i hope you're right, and to his credit, the only deplorable Trump didn't exploit was homophobia. i also think that most Americans don't care much about SSM anymore.

but then most Americans didn't vote for Trump.

Scalia was on the court when SSM was ruled on. Even if you were to appoint his second coming, or even, say, someone further right, how would this change anything?

If logically reflecting on how the US government is structured if privileged, I'm at a loss for how to proceed.

Scalia was on the court when SSM was ruled on. Even if you were to appoint his second coming, or even, say, someone further right, how would this change anything?

If logically reflecting on how the US government is structured if privileged, I'm at a loss for how to proceed.

our justices are pretty old. people die. more people get appointed. hate groups like NOM bring a court case. marriage amendments are introduced and sail through three branches of government all controlled by one party. there's also the bogus phrase "religious freedom." don't want to give CPR to a gay person because it denies your religious freedom? we have sympathetic ears.

and there's Mike Pence.

we can discuss the structure, but telling me my fears are just Chicken Little-ism is like telling a woman that Donald Trump isn't going to grab her pussy.

I'd rather a bunch of Wall Street fucks and corporate junkies than the leftovers of the shitty failed Republican campaigns. .

Wall Street fucks are our best hope at this point.

They may be entitled assholes, but we all know what they stand for. And it ain't guns, gays, uteri and religion.

our justices are pretty old. people die. more people get appointed. hate groups like NOM bring a court case. marriage amendments are introduced and sail through three branches of government all controlled by one party. there's also the bogus phrase "religious freedom." don't want to give CPR to a gay person because it denies your religious freedom? we have sympathetic ears.

and there's Mike Pence.

we can discuss the structure, but telling me my fears are just Chicken Little-ism is like telling a woman that Donald Trump isn't going to grab her pussy.

Should Ginsberg or Breyer retire, then this would start to become a potential problem. I have to imagine that both are going to do all they can to hang on for four more years, so I think the only chance we end up in this situation is if one dies, not retires. However, even then, I have to imagine dems would filibuster anyone to extreme - the gop won't have a supermajority, and I can't see McConnell pulling the nuclear option.

I definitely understand that Trump is a shock to the system and can be quite scary, and I don't mean to make it sound like gut reactions are stupid. I do think alleviating likely baseless fears is a worthwhile endeavor for the sanity of the country, right now, though.

I'm proud to say my county went the way of California on the 60+ 40- D/R.

We wish to be an exclave of the New California Republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom