Trump General Discussion - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #401
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
I take issue with an economic explanation of the rise of Trump. It sounds compelling, but the logic is quite flawed in many ways. The fact that people in the old industrial areas have economic difficulties is not a sufficient explanation of why they join a populist movement. There is an almost post-marxist tendency of attributing the outcome to class, but that completely overlooks that ethnic/racial distinctions and the more granular data that is available.e Why isn't the non-white working class joining the populist movement? Or why is it that you see consistent support to Trump across class?

I spent a lot of my academic life doing research on why people join social movements. My subject matter is mainly recruitment by rebel groups, and not simply political participation, but the underlying theories are similar. And personally, I feel that the class/economic explanation to social mobilization has been basically disproven since the mid-1970s, even though it continues to pop up from time to time.

I subscribe more to a cultural approach to social mobilization, i.e. the consolidation - and subsequent instrumentalization - of a collective identity that a certain group of people share as a means to get them to participate in a political process. Basically, many social movements start by creating a concept of "us" (some of them good - like the civil rights movement or the LGBT movement more recently - but many of them bad, like ethnic mobilization). That concept then supersedes any other social bounds that would normally tie people together. For example, gender identity can become less important than ethnic identity (see white women voting predominantly for Trump).

This, to me, is quite clear in Trump. The exclusionary rhetoric creates a concept of "us" - white people - that is shared across class divides. The dog whistles and slogans - Make America Great Again - further point to that collective identity it tries to create. And that is, ultimately, an exclusionary identity of white supremacy/privilege. People of different backgrounds join for different reasons, but I think it is a mistake to ascribe it simply to economic status. The data shows that it wasn't the case. Without the exclusionary rhetoric, I very much doubt Trump would have built this base.
In Trump economic stagnation and xenophobia were tied into a tidy and frightening package, which was his mantra from day one with the rhetoric about Mexico taking jobs, China manipulating currency, etc. The "other" was cast as the thief, basically. I am not denying the role of entrenched racism and sexism in his rise, but it's too easy of an explanation to cast huge swaths of his supporters in that light alone.

Another major difference between this election and a united effort toward LGBT rights, for example, is the latter group is acting toward a cohesive long-term goal, whereas most voters (IMO) are looking for immediate gratification - their job saved, their corporate taxes lowered, or whatever. I don't see those as analogous. A rich gay person who can't marry has a vested interest in social change and is likely to be mobilized within a movement, but that same person has no reason to fear a Mexican immigrant taking his job and likely won't be affected by such rhetoric.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #402
45:33

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

Old 11-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #403
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:43 PM
That was most likely done by someone on the left,
Just like that the article about the Muslim woman that claimed trumpeters beat her with a pipe, until her story collapsed.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:29 AM   #404
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Friday Night Barstool Thought: can we get that damn album already so we have some fun together !!!

It took me a month to process the Romney loss. I understand the pain.

I texted "Love you" to my sister for the first time in awhile when she was coping with the loss of her side. She's nervous. Our families will come back together.

Our U2 family will have something to celebrate soon

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-12-2016, 12:39 AM   #405
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
That was most likely done by someone on the left,
Keep on

telling yourself that,

if it makes you feel better about the emboldening of fascist presence in your country
Old 11-12-2016, 12:48 AM   #406
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post

Ugh. Infowars.

9/11 was an inside job!
Sandy Hook was a government conspiracy to take away our guns!
Obama and Hillary are literally demons!

If you're reposting infowars material, you're doing it wrong.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:07 AM   #407
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:13 PM
Infowars is Alex Jones making up excuses to tear his shirt off in anger.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:20 AM   #408
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post

Old 11-12-2016, 01:24 AM   #409
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Said this on Facebook and Twitter:

I can't in good conscience go and protest Trump. I've said a lot of arguably regrettable things in the last few days, but when he has a lone supporter turn up in Auckland who damn near gets assaulted, and people are lowering the discourse to his level - I can't be associated with that.

I may still mutter things under my breath, but I'm better than what we've seen from Trumps campaign and supporters. Besides, I'm the brownest white person I know.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:24 AM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post

Top right corner

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1478931847.202125.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	10975

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #411
Blue Crack Addict

Donna Brazille will be out as DNC leader,

Is this the new leader?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-donald-trump/
Old 11-12-2016, 02:32 AM   #412
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Sounds like a cool guy. I'd be fine with seeing how he'd run the DNC .
Old 11-12-2016, 04:03 AM   #413
Blue Crack Distributor

People on the Internet are SO weird.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:17 AM   #414
Blue Crack Addict

Yes
what kind of person would post that
Old 11-12-2016, 05:59 AM   #415
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Trump General Discussion

interesting article i read a few days ago, more in the Brexit context, but also touches on Trump and the US

the really interesting bit is his thoughts on the "switch", interesting analysis... will be interesting to see how Trump plays the mob now he is in power...

"Across the world, a succession of near-catastrophes has over the past two years begun to drain progressive politics of its resilience. Anti-racists, globalists and believers in the virtues of science over mumbo-jumbo are still winning elections. But the effort is going to exhaust us unless we become more radical.

In America, whether he wins or loses, Donald Trump’s candidacy – by sidelining the respectable right and creating a mass movement based on hate – has eroded American democracy to a new and fragile baseline. All the right needs to do in 2020 is to find a more respectable candidate and, until then, unleash a resistance struggle against the legitimacy of Clinton, her supreme court appointments and any Democratic majority in Congress that emerges.

It’s important to understand the new cross-fertilisation that has begun between Trump’s white-supremacist revolt and the revolt being planned by Ukip. Virtually nobody in mainstream politics a decade ago used the term “white working class”. Now it’s common to hear even BBC presenters parrot the phrase, as if the separation between white and non-white populations in Britain’s post-industrial towns were an accomplished fact, not a far-right fantasy.

In Britain, since the high-court decision, and with the tabloids ramping up their attack on the judiciary, people have been asking: what do Jonathan Harmsworth, owner of the Daily Mail, and Rupert Murdoch want? What would make them stop?

The answer is: they want Britain ruled by a xenophobic mob, controlled by them. The policies are secondary – as long as their legal offshore tax-dodging facilities are maintained. They also want a Labour party they can control and a Tory party they can intimidate.

In pursuit of that, they have created what the sociologist Manuel Castells calls a “switch”. You create a constituency of angry rightwing voters, assembled around using language no respectable politician could utter, and you switch them on, or off, against the government of the day as long as that government does your bidding.

It’s facile to call Trump and Farage “fascists”. They are elite, rightwing economic nationalists who have each stumbled upon the fact that a minority of working-class people can be fooled by populism – especially when the left refuses to play the populist game. And they are moving forward fast."

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...re-farages-mob
Old 11-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #416
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1478957469.730090.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	10976
Old 11-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #417
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
There are nearly zero celebrities that I would want for president. There was a time I thought Jon Stewart could maybe do it, but I've completely changed my mind on that.
Jon Stewart being President is about as bad an idea as Donald Trump being President.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #418
Blue Crack Distributor

Donald Trump Prepares for White House Move, but His Tower May Still Beckon http://nyti.ms/2eq2dVm

Guy never wanted the job.

Good job electing him, dicks
Old 11-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #419
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Trump Tower will get an emergency Oval Office, bunker, and underground rail escape.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #420
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Donald Trump Prepares for White House Move, but His Tower May Still Beckon http://nyti.ms/2eq2dVm

Guy never wanted the job.

Good job electing him, dicks
If he wants to step down, that'd be a-ok with me.

Mind, that means we'd still have Mike Pence to deal with, so... Hm.