Trump General Discusion II - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 9,900
Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
This doesn't shock me at all.

Early on when Trump was clearly borrowing Hitler rhetoric, the right would throw their hands up and say "oh everything devolved into comparing something to Hitler on the internet!"

But the reality is, in a literal sense, he was likely purposely actually using Hitler's methodology, from a studied perspective. That doesn't mean he wants to commit genocide. But it's foolish to think Trump doesn't know exactly what he was doing on the campaign trail. And it doesn't surprise me that he admires someone like Putin and wants to be just like him.
Yeah, his rhetoric is remarkably similar to most fascist leaders we have seen in the past. Hard to think it is a coincidence. And given the advisers he's surrounded himself with, you can see how this is so dangerous. Now imagine this man and his team in the face of a national crisis?
__________________

gump is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,132
Local Time: 06:02 PM
The hand pledge thing was the trolliest troll in the history of trolls
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,439
Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The hand pledge thing was the trolliest troll in the history of trolls

And they loved it. Nobody was looking around saying "hey this seems kinda nazi-ish don't ya think guys?"
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #24
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,977
Local Time: 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Early on when Trump was clearly borrowing Hitler rhetoric, the right would throw their hands up and say "oh everything devolved into comparing something to Hitler on the internet!"
...
That doesn't mean he wants to commit genocide.
It's a bit frustrating how people immediately leap to the industrialised killing of 1941-45 as soon as a Nazi comparison is made, as if the Nazis did literally nothing other than emerge from nowhere in 1939, invade a bunch of places, and build some nasty gas chambers. Genocide - or world war - are almost never the point of any genuine and valid Nazi comparison. Anybody making an honest comparison between today's politics and Nazi Germany is most likely referring to 1933-1935, the period of increasing discrimination through legislation, propaganda, and low-level street violence, and maybe taking it up to 1938 as persecution became more intense.

I don't think anybody seriously thinks Trump - or Brexiteers, or Marine Le Pen, or whoever - is plotting for something akin to the extreme barbarity perpetrated by the Nazis from 1938. But Nazi Germany is a useful case study for understanding how regimes radicalise and how democracies deteriorate - sometimes rapidly - into authoritarianism. It is not hard to draw parallels: the consequences of economic crisis, the use (and normalisation) of extremist language, the construction of a threatening "other" responsible for a nation's ills, the rhetorical techniques and propaganda, and the use of legislative avenues to exclude that "other" from various facets of the economy and society.

Separate from any specific event, I do think the rhetoric surrounding Muslims has become dangerous and toxic throughout the West. It's not hard to fan the flames of Islamophobic fear.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
And they loved it. Nobody was looking around saying "hey this seems kinda nazi-ish don't ya think guys?"

#wewerenotconned
#benghazi


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
We can reasonably assume deep will ignore that link
Well fuck me sideways, didn't see that one being right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Ford. Was never moving. Tump supporters fall for yet more bullshit. Nobody surprised.

Team of Imbeciles. Making America Stupid...er
coolian2 is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #27
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 08:02 PM
Sweet.

__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 12:02 PM
Report: Trump to settle Trump University lawsuits | TheHill

Man who vowed not to settle lawsuits will settle lawsuits
coolian2 is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 21,956
Local Time: 06:02 PM
for fuck's sakes. i give up. let's just freely call Donald Trump a full-blown fascist from now on and not worry about the consequences. have fun when you elect a real fascist, america.
DaveC is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,716
Local Time: 05:02 PM
All the talk about banning/vetting Muslims reminds me more of the Japanese internment camps of the early 1940s. I shudder to think of what might happen to Muslims in this country if the Trump administration does follow through on any of their threats regarding them. They may not be in "camps", per se, but I could definitely see them being forcibly isolated in some other fashion.

Jumping topics for a moment, just saw this article about the state of our economy, and how it'll impact Trump in the future:

Donald Trump will inherit a robust economy

Quote:
After several years of dismal performance, a key indicator of small-business health has jumped to new highs. The Index of Main Street Entrepreneurship, calculated by the nonprofit Kauffman Foundation, recently hit the highest level since 1997, when the organization began taking measurements. The biggest improvement in 2016 was a rise in the new business survival rate, with nearly half of all new businesses making it to their fifth year.

There are many other signs of a strong economy getting stronger, which highlights an obvious irony: Donald Trump got elected president this year by continually accentuating problems faced by many Americans who feel they’re falling behind. Yet he’ll inherit an economy that is far healthier than the one President Obama started with eight years ago, in the midst of a grueling recession.

Employers have created about 5.4 million new jobs during the last two years, and they’re on course to create nearly 4 million more during the next two years, according to economists at the University of Michigan. Unemployment-insurance claims filed by people losing their jobs are well below levels from before the recession that began in 2007. Construction of new houses and retail sales look strong. Wages are rising as well, with the Federal Reserve now likely to hike interest rates at its next meeting in December. That would be a sign the Fed finally feels the economy is healthy enough to tighten monetary policy.
Quote:
So why did Trump’s appeal to the “forgotten men and women” of America get so much traction, if the economy’s doing great? Two reasons. First, a lot of people who are doing fine voted for Trump. Not because they need help climbing out of a hole, but because they agree with him that the US political system is broken and dominated by crony capitalists.

The second reason is that the overall economy is getting back to normal with less participation from people who are unsuited to a digitized, global economy—and are, in fact, falling far behind. Nicholas Eberstadt, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, has highlighted the problem of 9 million “missing men” who don’t have jobs and don’t want them, even though they’re at prime working age. Millions more are trying to support families on inadequate wages, with no obvious way to get ahead. Trump has oversimplified the solutions to these complex problems, but he also convinced people he heard their complaints.
I can definitely attest to the first explanation about some of those who voted for Trump. Many of my relatives, who are better off financially than my family and have been for years, voted for Trump. My aunts and uncles don't seem to truly "get" the struggles my family has been through over the years sometimes, because they've never been in our situation.

Another reason for why some Midwestern towns are still struggling economically, and perhaps why many of them went for Trump as well, that doesn't seem to get talked about as much is the fact that many of these towns are populated mostly by older people. There's not a whole lot of young people living there, because the towns don't have much of anything to offer young people to keep them around after high school.

And eventually the older population is going to reach retirement age, and without their work as well as new young blood, and a more diverse population in general, trying to help keep these towns active and progressing economically, well... Towns can't survive very long on that. Especially when there's very little variety in the types of jobs available, and jobs that don't always pay liveable wages and which can't keep up with technological changes (retail jobs, for example, are struggling in large part because of online shopping becoming such a big thing).

I'm not saying every small town has to become some big city, of course, but...there needs to be SOME ability to embrace change and progress in order for a town to survive. And a lot of people who live in small towns seem very resistant to that, to their own detriment.

I will say, though, that I definitely think it wouldn't have hurt Clinton to spend time in this area of the country touting the progress the economy has been making in recent years, as well as better show and discuss the ways in which the Democrats' economic plans would continue to prove beneficial to people. News articles saying the economy's getting better are nice, but I think Democrats should've done more to show where that progress was happening.

Mind, given the talk about people blatantly not caring about facts nowadays, maybe there really was nothing the Democrats could do to get that message to actually sink in for some people in the end. Who knows.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #31
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 08:02 PM
Awesome!

__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,716
Local Time: 05:02 PM
Oh, good lord...

HOW WAS DAVID DUKE'S SUPPORT NOT A MASSIVE WARNING SIGN FOR VOTERS?!?! Christ.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #33
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Oh, good lord...



HOW WAS DAVID DUKE'S SUPPORT NOT A MASSIVE WARNING SIGN FOR VOTERS?!?! Christ.

Not conned and not racist.
This is what blows my mind, and they refuse to have this conversation.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #34
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 08:02 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.2a18574638d1
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,352
Local Time: 04:02 PM
Strom Thurmond thought Jeff Sessions was TOO racist. STROM THURMOND! But....

trojanchick99 is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 07:02 PM
David Duke himself would have been a fine choice for a cabinet position, but that whole convicted felon thing I suppose got in the way.
anitram is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Oh, good lord...



HOW WAS DAVID DUKE'S SUPPORT NOT A MASSIVE WARNING SIGN FOR VOTERS?!?! Christ.

Let's roll the tape and find out how racist white Trump supporters justify the David Duke support.

https://youtu.be/8NVVwZVd6ZM


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Oregoropa is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 12:02 PM
Gonna acknowledge you were lied to about Ford yet?
coolian2 is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Gonna acknowledge you were lied to about Ford yet?

Why because S(nope)S told you otherwise?


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Oregoropa is offline  
Old 11-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,644
Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
for fuck's sakes. i give up. let's just freely call Donald Trump a full-blown fascist from now on and not worry about the consequences. have fun when you elect a real fascist, america.
Again, it seems like because people aren't agreeing with your point of view, you're just shouting instead of listening. Axver just outlined a very good explanation for what the comparison point is, but you almost seem to want to stick your head in the sand and continue to believe that Trump is an idiot incapable of having a political ideal.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×