True North Green and Free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
Well its pretty much official. Canada has De-criminalized pot.

Finally people have the common sense to relize the good this will do. Here is a break down of the new laws:

PROPOSED CANNABIS PENALTIES

? Possession of 15 grams or less of marijuana: a fine of $150 for an adult, $100 for a young person.

? Possession of one gram or less of cannabis resin: a fine of $300 for an adult and $200 for young people.

? Possession of 15 grams or less of marijuana or one gram or less of cannabis resin where aggravating factors exist: a fine of $400 for an adult and $250 for a youth. Aggravating factors include driving a car or being on school property.

? Possession of between 15 grams and 30 grams of marijuana: A police officer would decide if the person should receive a ticket or issue a summons for a summary conviction. The ticket fine would be $300 for an adult and $200 for a youth. The summary conviction penalty would be up to six months imprisonment and/or up to a $1,000 fine.

Well your thoughts.

here is what other countries are up too:

Over the last few decades, countries have adopted more diverse approaches to the problem of cannabis possession. In some countries, including Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belgium and Luxembourg, possession of small amounts of cannabis is not a crime. In the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Denmark, it remains a criminal offence, but it is not prosecuted. The Swiss parliament is currently considering legalizing cannabis possession. In France, an official directive advises public prosecutors and judges to avoid criminal charges except as a last option when the only offence committed is the consumption of illegal drugs. Some countries, including the United States, see active prosecution as a key element of their policy response to possession of small amounts of cannabis. Although drug enforcement is a federal responsibility in the U.S., 12 states have laws decriminalizing possession of small amounts of cannabis.

In 2002, the Government of the United Kingdom announced a new comprehensive drug strategy focusing on prevention, treatment and harm minimalization. An order in council was put before Parliament that proposes to reclassify cannabis so that possession would be the equivalent of possession of steroids or growth hormones. Possession of cannabis would remain illegal, but it would not be grounds for arrest unless a danger to public order is perceived, or arrest is necessary for the protection of children. This order in council is expected to be passed in July 2003.

In 1987, the state of South Australia adopted fines for cannabis possession of up to 100 grams of marijuana or up to 20 grams of cannabis resin. The Australian Capital Territory followed suit in 1992, and the Northern Territory in 1996. The scheme is based on expiation, meaning that a summons is issued with an indicated fine that, if paid on time, ends the case with no criminal conviction. If the fine is not paid, the case is treated as a criminal charge with the possibility of conviction. Fines average between 50 and 150 Australian dollars, depending on the circumstances of the offence (exchange rates are usually similar to the Canadian dollar). The maximum fine for a possession offence in South Australia is 2,000 Australian dollars. Several evaluation studies in South Australia found no increase in cannabis use linked to adoption of its policy on cannabis possession. Since 1998, the states of Victoria and Western Australia have dealt with non-violent, first time cannabis possession offences with official warnings from prosecutors. The Government of Western Australia is also considering legislation to create an expiation scheme.

While there are some similarities with the Australian approach, the Government of Canada proposes a scheme with important differences. First, the Government decided to define small amounts of cannabis at a lower weight level. Second, a person who receives a ticket but does not pay it will not face a criminal conviction. Nor will a person who chooses to challenge a ticket in court, even if they are found guilty. Fines assessed in court will not be higher than those set out on the ticket, as can be the case in Australia. Fines not paid will be collected according to the same provincial rules governing parking or speeding tickets.

Should the US start to follow the rest of the world?

Canada has not yet passed the law.

it will prolly take a long long time. There's opposition from the police force and everyone is scared to death of pissing off the Americans.
I heard one imply that if this passes the canadian/US border could end up like the US/mexico border

the american border officials are doing little more than posing. even the great drug wars can't slow down the canada-us border, not only because both nations need the cross traffic so badly, but because there are pretty reasonable enforcement regulations mandated within the legislation for the border.

besides all this the bill is still unlikely to pass any time soon, possibly next year at the earliest. it must pass the house and then through judicial committees which are presently weighed down with same sex rulings. it is unlikely to leave the house prior to their summer split, which is in a couple of weeks. then it will be a fight to stir up support before the leadership change in february. as i recall, martin supports the shift but this will not be at the top of his agenda as his time in office nears.

i hope so, bonoman. the principle of the regulation is sensible and its time has truly come. don't know how much i agree with the educational onslaught coupled with the relaxing of laws but this is definitely a step in the right direction.
don't know if i agree with you on the timing though.

My thoughts? Hmmm. Canada?s a good country. I like it. Friggin? cold, but I like it.

Back
Top Bottom