Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbara Walters also went down to Florida to interview him, and she wouldn't say-but the implication was that he wanted to be paid for the interview. So it never happened. I also read recently that a female family member is accusing him of molesting her. She says it went on for years.

Zimmerman Apology: Trayvon Martin Shooter Tells Parents He's Sorry During 'Hannity' Interview

George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watchman charged with murdering unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, said during his first televised interview: "I'm not a racist. I'm not a murderer."

Zimmerman, joined by his defense attorney Mark O'Mara, sat down with conservative Fox News talk show host Sean Hannity and discussed the events that unfolded the February night Zimmerman shot and killed the 17-year-old Martin, the national outrage the shooting caused and what he perceived as the media's rush to judgment.

"Is there anything that you regret? Do you regret getting out of the car to follow Trayon that night?" Hannity asked. "Do you regret that you had a gun that night?"

"No, sir," Zimmerman, 28, replied. "I feel that it was all God's plan and not for me to second-guess it or judge it."

I know that people who believe that God has a plan for them include the bad stuff, but I don't know that God really wants people killed (self-defense or not) as part of His grand master plan for you.

I mean, was it God's plan for Ted Bundy and the Green River Killer to kill all those women?

Even if you truly believe that, it does not come across well to say that "God's plan" made you responsible for someone else's death.

Maybe His plan is to open your eyes to the way you live your life, or to open your eyes to something you need to change about your self, but I'm sure He'd prefer that nobody die in order to have your eyes opened.

I know that people who believe that God has a plan for them include the bad stuff, but I don't know that God really wants people killed (self-defense or not) as part of His grand master plan for you.

I mean, was it God's plan for Ted Bundy and the Green River Killer to kill all those women?

Even if you truly believe that, it does not come across well to say that "God's plan" made you responsible for someone else's death.

Maybe His plan is to open your eyes to the way you live your life, or to open your eyes to something you need to change about your self, but I'm sure He'd prefer that nobody die in order to have your eyes opened.

Well said.

I hate it when people say things like "It was God's plan" or "I prayed about it" when essentially all it is is a cop out.

I can understand the family saying "God's plan" types of things in regards to a relative who has died, even in a horrible fashion, as it might provide comfort to them.

But when the person responsible says it, it's almost a slap in the face to the family of the deceased. "Hey, this was God's plan for me - sorry his plan for your kid was that he die so I could learn a lesson."

Sheesh.

"Is there anything that you regret? Do you regret getting out of the car to follow Trayon that night?" Hannity asked. "Do you regret that you had a gun that night?"

"No, sir," Zimmerman, 28, replied. "I feel that it was all God's plan and not for me to second-guess it or judge it."

Uh-huh. Sure.

Not to mention, okay, even if he really believed he was doing it in self-defense...there's nothing he regrets about that night? Nothing at all? He doesn't feel bad that he took a young man away from his family? He doesn't feel any regret that he wound up killing someone who wasn't armed?

Maybe I'm weird, then, 'cause that stuff sure as hell would weigh on my mind.

^ exactly. it's also an incredibly hollow apology, considering he didn't even seem to give a shit that he took a teenager's life. even if zimmerman's ever-changing story is true (he even contradicted himself in the freaking interview, come on) he should at least say he's sorry for taking a life. to just focus on how it was like totes self-defence is a slap in the face to martin's parents.

not to mention if he really cared about apologising to them, he would've done it privately and not on a fucking tv show. i think he cares more about saving face with the public (sweetie, you do know even if you swayed peoples' opinions, they can't serve on your jury?) than anything else. i don't know if he's guilty or not but it just seems like he's treating this like a reality show or something more than him eventually taking the stand for a murder charge.

Don't know anything about her credibility and/or motives, but the female relative also claims that his family is openly racist.

He supposedly has a very good lawyer, but I don't get all this pre-trial behavior. It must be some sort of strategy, but obviously it makes no logical sense. Zimmerman's words and actions are such a turnoff. What he's already done is bad enough, even if it actually was in self defense. But keep hangin with Hannity, George. Maybe he'll give you shelter and protection for a month.

To me, George's comments clearly indicate that his shooting was deliberate, and not an accident. Had it been a defensive move, I think he would have a lot of remorse and guilt. But he doesn't, so that tells me he likely set out to shoot Trayvon. If it really was an accident, and he still believes it was "God's plan", then frankly I would question his empathy levels and common sense.

Eh, I think it indicates that he shot him on purpose but I don't know that it indicates he set out to shoot him. I think his rationale is that "I didn't plan to shoot but ended up in a situation where I had to." His lack of remorse is typical of our culture unfortunately where it seems that no one from the castoff American Idol contestant to the shooter of innocent people has regrets anymore, no one learns anything.

regardless of whether it was murder or manslaughter, his actions since the shooting have come off as incredibly cocky to me. he may be innocent and he may know he's innocent, but to be acting like this? if he's found innocent, it won't mean much if everyone hates him because of his behaviour. he'll never have to sit in jail but good luck finding friends, good luck finding jobs, etc.

Anyone following the case? I've seen some of it, and so far to me it's looking like an acquittal. I guess he could be found guilty of a lesser charge like manslaughter, depending on the charge to the jury. Not sure about that (reading further back in the thread it seems he could be, it's an automatic lesser included charge in FL?). It just seems to be that the reasonable doubt will be a big factor, and the witness credibility. You had the girl who was on the phone with Trayvon and the sensation she caused. Personally I thought she stuck to the basic story quite well, in spite of his lawyer's incessant badgering. I liked her spunk and her willingness to stand up to his condescending ways, but of course all that matters is the jury's impression of her testimony.

Well said.

I hate it when people say things like "It was God's plan" or "I prayed about it" when essentially all it is is a cop out.

Very much agreed. It is true, that sometimes we can MAKE something good out of bad things happening (acts of heroism after tsunami, teachers facing a shooter to save kids, kid in China standing in front of tank...etc) - but that is not the same as God deliberately planning/scheming new ways to inflict suffering.

God's "Plan" is the redemption of the universe. Anything that is not directly related to making earth/universe/reality more like heaven is acting AGAINST God's plan (think "-on earth as it is in heaven" from Matt. 6:10).

This case is a very odd one. I hate that it has become a Left/Right thing. It doesn't seem that either person was an ideal citizen (who is?). Zimmerman is obviously guilty of running around with a gun playing Walking Tall, but is he guilty of murder - that remains to be seen, that is what the trial is about, and not about politics. To reach a judgement prematurely on either side is playing into the hands of those that want to sell commercials while you watch to coverage.

This case is a very odd one. I hate that it has become a Left/Right thing. It doesn't seem that either person was an ideal citizen (who is?). Zimmerman is obviously guilty of running around with a gun playing Walking Tall, but is he guilty of murder - that remains to be seen, that is what the trial is about, and not about politics. To reach a judgement prematurely on either side is playing into the hands of those that want to sell commercials while you watch to coverage.

Exactly.

Self defense is a smarter tactic, no question.

Here we see the effect of individuals feeling empowered to act as Die Hard-style vigilantes.

Self defense is very convenient when the only other party that could have given any insight as to who threw the first blow is dead.

Self defense is very convenient when the only other party that could have given any insight as to who threw the first blow is dead.

This isn't the first time a court has considered self-defense where one party has died.

The jury will consider Zimmerman's testimony, the testimony of the various witnesses and the physical evidence. The jury is empowered to weigh the validity of such testimony and evidence, accept it as fact, disregard it completely or something in between.

Probably a better process that the trial the media has conducted.

This isn't the first time a court has considered self-defense where one party has died.

The jury will consider Zimmerman's testimony, the testimony of the various witnesses and the physical evidence. The jury is empowered to weigh the validity of such testimony and evidence, accept it as fact, disregard it completely or something in between.

Of course not, it's just very unfortunate that it almost comes down to the lawyer at this point.

I just wish George Zimmerman had listened to the police and stayed in the car like he had been told.

Otherwise an unarmed teenager might still be alive today.

I just wish George Zimmerman had listened to the police and stayed in the car like he had been told.

This alone is my biggest gripe with Zimmerman. The rest of the story is pretty much hearsay, and one can conclude guilt either way, both men aren't pillars of society, but Zimmerman acting like a vigilante will always be my sticking point with this case.

Probably a better process that the trial the media has conducted.

From what I hear the prosecution has pretty well bungled the trial, so I'd be surprised if he's found guilty.

But it is what it is.

This alone is my biggest gripe with Zimmerman. The rest of the story is pretty much hearsay, and one can conclude guilt either way, both men aren't pillars of society, but Zimmerman acting like a vigilante will always be my sticking point with this case.

Yeah - I'm not sure anyone can prove beyond a reasonable doubt what went down that night. But I do think it is clear the Zimmerman is lacking judgement in many key areas, and he was/is a danger to the very community he claimed to be defending.

Neighborhood watch is a good thing. You see something off - call it in. Heck, you can be as racist as Archie Bunker and call everything in (of course, you can only cry wolf so many times before you are ignored - but that is another point).

What is NOT a good thing is running around with a frickin' handgun playing Starsky and Hutch.

Trayvon Martin should not have been killed because Zimmerman should not have been there tracking him down with a gun. What in the world did he think would happen? How could something like this end well?

That being said - I'm not it can be proven that Zimmerman is anything more than fool.

Zimmerman told the police that he carried a gun everywhere except to and from work. That night he was packing while going to Target to grocery shop. I guess he intended to take it into Target and not leave it in the car.

Comes in handy in aisle 2

I think it's one indication of a paranoid wannabe cop/vigilante. I guess his employer wouldn't permit it, or he would have brought it there too.

Confluence of that and all other circumstances that led to a tragedy. I don't know exactly what happened, but the only other person who does is dead.

From what I hear the prosecution has pretty well bungled the trial, so I'd be surprised if he's found guilty.

Yes they have. Incompetent. I watched all day yesterday, it's hot and humid as hell here so I just wanted to stay in the AC. The medical examiner that they put on as their last witness (huge mistake) was a complete disaster. If that guy keeps his job after this trial, well that's beyond my comprehension. He seems so clueless, I wouldn't be surprised if he would autopsy someone who is still alive. Don't know if they ever rehearsed him or at least watched video of his other court appearances. Then he brings his own notes to the stand and the defense was then entitled to them, notes that were never part of pretrial discovery.

Trayvon's mother did so well on the stand. She should have been the last witness.

My only legal experience is a paralegal certificate, but so much of it is just common sense and instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom