Transgendered Neuroscientist Saw Gender Bias Firsthand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:
The woman who has a definite edge over the other due solely to performance is of course the most suitable for a promotion. To say that women who have children cannot compete because they take a year off or less per child is severely undermining the ability of women and specifically working mothers.

And thank you for making this point because it's really about performance results...not seniority, years of experience, hours worked etc.

Companies and managers value high performers (defined by results not time on job) and in turn give them flexibility and advantages. High performers don't bitch about things like seniority and hours worked...they get hostile when average performers and underachievers are given equal consideration.

maycocksean said:
Well, the plan is when my wife and I have kids, that I'll be the one to stop working for awhile. She's a school principal, and I'm a teacher.

I think if more men could/would take time off to raise their families this might help to level the playing field. But that concept barely seems to be on the radar.

You're both lucky to be in a profession where that is more culturally acceptable whereas in others, it can still be career suicide. It's evolving slowly but surely...about 2/3rds of the workforce are dual career couples so over time as more women have higher incomes than their partners, income-potential or are self-employed, more men are taking parental leave. :up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom