Toys R Us Disqualifies First Baby Of 07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Because her mother is an "illegal". It said so in the contest fine print, but the Asian community is angry about this-and like they say they certainly don't prohibit illegal immigrants from shopping in their stores. Wanna bet with all this negative publicity that they will do something about the situation soon?

I am posting the whole article because it requires registration.

NY Times

January 6, 2007
First-Baby Sweepstakes Fuels Immigration Debate
By NINA BERNSTEIN

It seemed like a perfect formula for good publicity: A national sweepstakes would award a $25,000 United States savings bond to the first American baby born in 2007, courtesy of the toy chain Toys “R” Us and its Babies “R” Us division.

Instead, after disqualifying a Chinese-American baby girl born in New York Downtown Hospital at the stroke of midnight on New Year’s, the toy company finds itself caught in the glare of the immigration debate, stumbling over the nation’s new demographic realities.

The baby girl, Yuki Lin, was an American citizen from the second the ball dropped in Times Square, where the Toys “R” Us flagship store draws thousands of shoppers from around the world. But like 6 out of 10 babies born in the city — including at least two others born in Brooklyn about the same moment — she has immigrant parents. And according to the contest’s fine print, the chain decided, she was ruled out because her mother was not a legal resident.

The first baby of the year is usually a one-day story. But Albert H. Wang, a corporate lawyer who read about Yuki Lin’s lost chance on the Web site of the Chinese-language newspaper The World Journal, was outraged enough to start an e-mail campaign that is enlisting the ire of prominent Chinese-Americans like the president of the Asian American Business Development Center and officers of the Organization of Chinese Americans.

Their criticism, and threats of a media campaign against the company, come just a month after the chain opened its first store in China, in Shanghai.

“They want business from China,” said Mr. Wang, 39, adding that most of the chain’s toys are made by Chinese workers in China. “But when it comes to this Chinese-American U.S. citizen, she was deprived of $25,000 intended to be used for her college education, because of who her parents are.”

Kathleen Waugh, a spokeswoman for the company, confirmed yesterday that Yuki Lin, born at 6.5 pounds and 19 inches long, had been close to winning the prize. The baby won a random drawing to break a three-way tie with hospitals in Gainesville, Ga., and Bay Shore, N.Y., which also claimed a baby born at midnight.

But, Ms. Waugh added, “in working with New York Downtown Hospital to verify the potential winner’s information and obtain a signed affidavit of eligibility — which is required under the official rules of the sweepstakes — the sweepstakes administrator was informed that the mother of the baby born at New York Downtown Hospital was not a legal resident of the United States.” Contest rules say that only mothers who are legal residents are eligible, Ms. Waugh said, adding that such requirements are common in sweepstakes.

The award went instead to the runner-up in the drawing, Jayden Swain, born 19 seconds after midnight at Northeast Georgia Medical Center to Renee Swain, 20, described by her mother as “a black American.” “She’s an American all the way,” Ms. Swain’s mother, Janet K. Keller, said in a telephone interview.

The baby at Bay Shore was born to a couple from El Salvador.

Mr. Wang and other Chinese-Americans say the winner was to be the baby, not the mother, and they see implications of second-class citizenship that strike an ugly chord. It only seemed to add insult to injury, they said, that the baby was instead given a $100 gift basket, just like all the others the chain gives to the first New Year’s babies born in any hospital that signs up for it.

“People are just pretty much outraged,” said John Wang, president of the 13-year-old Asian American Business Development Center, on Wall Street, adding that he was perplexed by the company’s actions.

“The schools accept children whose parents are illegal aliens in this country, so why is Toys ‘R’ Us taking this kind of position?” he asked. “They’re supported by many people, whether they’re legal or illegal, shopping in their stores, and they’re injecting themselves into this debate.”

The parents could not be reached for comment, and their exact immigration status was unclear. Vanessa Warner, a spokeswoman for New York Downtown Hospital, would not answer questions about the event, though an upbeat account of the birth and photos of the parents and medical team were on the hospital Web site yesterday. The mother is Han Lin and the father is Yan Zhu Liu, both 22-year-old restaurant workers.

Leo Y. Lee, 49, an engineer who is past national vice president of the Organization of Chinese Americans, an advocacy organization, pointed out that the savings bond was awarded in the name of the baby, not the mother, and that there was no legal requirement for a rule barring the American-born child of an illegal immigrant.

“I am strongly opposed to the Toys ‘R’ Us decision to give the award to another baby just based solely on the mother’s status,” he said. His group, he said, does not “condone or approve illegal immigration, but anyone who is here should be protected by law — especially a baby with the same rights as any other citizen.”

But comments by Ms. Keller, the grandmother of the winning baby, hinted at the wrath that the company risked from the other side at a time when the most stringent critics of illegal immigration have called for an end to birthright citizenship, saying the children born to illegal immigrants are “anchor babies” who encourage illegal entry.

“If she’s an illegal alien, that makes the baby illegal,” said Ms. Keller, 50. Told otherwise, she remarked, “Sounds like a double standard to me,” adding, “She was disqualified — that should be it. Don’t go changing your mind now.”

Adding to the confusion were promotional materials that called for “all expectant New Year’s mothers” to apply to the contest, and allowed hospitals and Ob/Gyn offices to apply on behalf of their patients. The hospitals were offered a chance to win a $10,000 prenatal education grant. About 8,000 mothers and more than 800 hospitals participated in the contest, Ms. Waugh said.

Ole Pedersen, a spokesman for Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in Brooklyn, said the hospital initially believed it had won the sweepstakes with the midnight birth of Odunayo Muhammed to a Nigerian immigrant couple, Christiana and Abdul Muhammed. Later he learned that the doctor who reported the birth online had missed the contest’s 6 a.m. deadline on Jan. 1 by an hour and a half.

As for a mother’s legal status, Mr. Pedersen added, “We wouldn’t have even thought of that.”

Sigh. The child is a US citizen.

PR nightmare. Your disqualifications should be as prominent as your come-ons. I suspect Toys R Us didn't want to create the PR nightmare that would have ensued in a prominent ad and ended up creating a worse mess for itself.

They are legally covered though.

I always thought the New Year's baby contests were dumb ideas anyway.

The contest rules state that the mothers have to be legal residents. I don't see that there's any issue to this at all.

What about the grandmother of the new winner saying her daughter is "an American all the way"? What could be more "American" than the first baby born in our great and prosperous country in the New Year, right? Right up there with Ellis Island and the Statue Of Liberty and all that...

Maybe Toys R Us shouldn't take business from illegal immigrants either, if they feel that strongly about it. And why would that even be in the fine print-the first baby is the first baby regardless, isn't it?

They could be screwed either way -- not giving the prize has cause an uproar and giving the prize could easily cause an uproar too.

It's a shame that this had to happen, but if the rules clearly state that the mother has to be a U.S. citizen then I don't see how they can fight this, it looks like Toys R Us just followed the rules

Don't see an issue here, honestly. The rules are the rules, period. It would be a totally different story had they decided after the fact to have a citizenship requirement for the mother, but they didn't.

And the whole "well they let illegals buy their toys" argument is kind of silly...can you imagine if a retail shop asked for ID with every purchase? Never happen, because it would never work.

Can we expect a Rosie O'Donnell "ching chang chong" on the View over this?

Sorry, but, the rulz is the rulz. Speaking of rulz, is Mom eligible to satay here?

Almost all contests have residency and age restrictions. U2.com has contests that clearly state "open to UK residents only." If I actually entered one of those and won, I would fully expect to be disqualified. I don't think those rules have anything to with how the companies feel about illegal immigration, it has to do with taxes and stuff.

And yes, the baby is a US citizen, but babies can't legally enter a contest or sign a contract, which is why the residency requirement fell upon the mother.

I think Toys R Us did the right thing. The contest was designed to be positive publicity and it turned into negative publicity. This was, it has the best chance to be positive again.

I think the rule was black and white - but the interpretation of it is gray since the child is born American.

They had to do that because of the publicity, and rules are rules but that doesn't make it right :shrug:

Let's face it, it looks mean spirited to disqualify a baby :slant: Babies are all-American, right?

I remember when there were all sorts of contests for the millenium babies. I assume these contests also have rules against inducing.

BostonAnne said:
I think Toys R Us did the right thing. The contest was designed to be positive publicity and it turned into negative publicity. This was, it has the best chance to be positive again.

Bingo.

Dreadsox said:
Sorry, but, the rulz is the rulz. Speaking of rulz, is Mom eligible to satay here?

An interesting question, indeed.

Satay

From Wikipedia,

Satay (also written saté) is a dish that may have originated in Sumatra or Java, Indonesia, but also popular in many other Southeast Asian countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, and Thailand.

Hard to say from the inofmation provided,
isn't she Chinese?

Just another example of why the US has serious issues now with illegal residents - there is no respect for our laws and requirements of citizenship. And why should there be when every time someone cries 'US/Toys-R-Us/Insert-whatever-entity-here is unfair to Hispanics/Asians/Hindus/Insert-whatever-nationality or creed-here!!' and we cave?

Trust me, I am not zenophobic and I don't begrudge anyone who wants to LEGALLY enter this country and become a productive citizen, but why should we go out of our way to appease folks who won't even respect the basic rules laid out for them?

I readily admit that the status of the Chinese parents in this case was never mentioned in the article that I read, i.e. they are in the process of applying for citizenship, etc. so I don't automatically intend my comments to them in particular. I'm just speaking in general about the big picture. :slant:

Last edited:
BluRmGrl said:
Just another example of why the US has serious issues now with illegal residents - there is no respect for our laws and requirements of citizenship. And why should there be when every time someone cries 'US/Toys-R-Us/Insert-whatever-entity-here is unfair to Hispanics/Asians/Hindus/Insert-whatever-nationality or creed-here!!' and we cave?

Trust me, I am not zenophobic and I don't begrudge anyone who wants to LEGALLY enter this country and become a productive citizen, but why should we go out of our way to appease folks who won't even respect the basic rules laid out for them?

I readily admit that the status of the Chinese parents in this case was never mentioned in the article that I read, i.e. they are in the process of applying for citizenship, etc. so I don't automatically intend my comments to them in particular. I'm just speaking in general about the big picture. :slant:

"We cave"? Toys-R-US is a corporation, so only their shareholders should care about the additional expense. As mentioned earlier, at this point the publicity had turned negative for Toys-R-Us, and $50k was the cheapest way to turn the negative into a positive.

BonosSaint said:

PR nightmare. Your disqualifications should be as prominent as your come-ons. I suspect Toys R Us didn't want to create the PR nightmare that would have ensued in a prominent ad and ended up creating a worse mess for itself.

They are legally covered though.

They created this nightmare themselves they have only themselves to blame if their sales go down.Why put that in the fine print anyway....does it honestly frickkin' matter...the child was the first to be born on american soil in 07!

ntalwar said:

"We cave"? Toys-R-US is a corporation, so only their shareholders should care about the additional expense. As mentioned earlier, at this point the publicity had turned negative for Toys-R-Us, and $50k was the cheapest way to turn the negative into a positive.

Yes, 'we'... as in America as a whole.

Here's the comparison I was attempting to make between corporate America & the government in general: Someone with no legal right to a benefit or prize steps forward to claim it. They're told, 'no - you don't meet the requirements'. What to do? Get yourself a lawyer, put on your best 'victim face' and scream to any media outlet that'll listen how you've been discriminated against & demand restitution. TRU & the government have shown that rather stand their ground, they'll bend rather than lose a few dollars (or votes, if you're a politician).

So the question remains: what's the point of making rules when all it takes to get them changed, bent, or outright ignored is a few cries of "Opression! Opression!" and fear of some bad press??? And how should anyone that easy to manipulate expect to be taken seriously? :eyebrow:

I've learned that my fourfathers and fourmothers are illegal...we're going back...:wave:

1994_06.jpg

This is not part of my farewell tour...!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom