Towers of Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
I think this is a beautiful memorial.

Beginning tomorrow, the "Towers of Light" will remain lit for a month.

empire_index.jpg

click link below for full article. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38440-2002Mar4.html

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 03-10-2002).]

I find that original, and the symbolism of the "towers of light" very powerful... maybe I am looking too deeply into this...

------------------
id love adam to perform for me..wearing only cologne and a smile

I really like it as well. Very simple, but very emotionally powerful. I really think it should be part of the permanent memorial, with anything added to be very simple as well. Perhaps all the names of the victims should be carved in granite as the sidewalk area around it?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
I really like it as well. Very simple, but very emotionally powerful. I really think it should be part of the permanent memorial, with anything added to be very simple as well. Perhaps all the names of the victims should be carved in granite as the sidewalk area around it?

Melon

Oh, I like that carved idea, but I think a wall would be more classy. Maybe a tower with names carved into them? Something definately that shows the sheer number of people who died.

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

Originally posted by U2LA:
I think they should keep them lit forever as part of a long term memorial.

I agree whole heartedly Camilo!!!! I had been thinking the same thing over the past couple of days.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

The towers of light are very moving and beautiful.

However...the amount of electricity consumed by the lights has to be very great...and eventually cost too much for the tax payers.

I'm trying to think of something I would want to visit...

I know...I would want a very beautiful and vibrant botanical garden...with sections dedicated to the people who passed away. Maybe the families could participate in selecting the flowers/plants that would be grown and maintained?

What if the firefighters and families participated in the building of this memorial...just like they participated in the clean up of the memorial area? I think it would be a profound healing process for them...and the procreation of new life...is definitely bringing hope back into the picture. It would definitely be a POSITIVE change to the present environment. Also, it would appeal to everyone and not just those directly involved.

Submit your ideas here:http://www.thewtcmemorial.com

See the light show... http://www.creativetime.org/towers/main.html

[This message has been edited by ]{arao]{e (edited 03-11-2002).]

What is amazing about them is that they are two powerful beams of light just standing there. Usually they have those kinds swirling around at some kind of an event. But the sheer simplicity of them standing ever so still is magnificient.

I was riding in a cab last night coming over the Williamsburgh bridge into Manhatten and I could really see how powerful they were at that moment. They are so comforting and I wish they could stay up forever.

Also, I was watching the news the other night, and I heard about some critics who were asking if Lower Manhatten will ever be the Financial powerhouse that it once was. I don't think it needs to be anymore. Its changed so much. I hope they make it into a peaceful, serene resting place rather than Wall Street: the sequel.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

OK, I think I might be bashed seriously for this one:

The first thing it reminded me of the second I saw it were Nazi light-shows.

But then again, it is beautiful and emotionally powerful.....

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Originally posted by speedracer:
Do astronomers have anything to say about it?

I happen to be an amateur astronomer...in a city as bright, I dont think it matters.

yeah, even without the tower of lights, you rarely see any stars in Manhattan.

its weird because I stil haven't actually seen them. for some reason, even though I live in Brooklyn really close to Manhattan, I keep missing them. I'll have to venture out tonight and try to get a glimpse.

how much money would it cost to keep them lit for a week?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I finally managed to see them. I also live in Brooklyn although not close to the skyline. I only saw one beam from my viewpoint. It is hard to see because of the city lights and all but it was moving. I don't know how much it costs to keep the lights for a month but I read in the paper that Con Edison is supplying it for free.

~*~Keep your head up cause a new day's gonna come...Midnight--Oh...she can't sleep she's afraid to dream...My Spanish Rose~*~

[This message has been edited by Lise (edited 03-16-2002).]

Originally posted by Danospano:
Does this picture remind anyone else of the Batman signal?----Batman, where were you when we needed you?

Dano! I've several things to say to you.

#1. I love where you're from...such a classic line.

#2. I like to search for search lights, and when I find them I put a piece of cardboard shaped like the Bat signal over it. Then everyone sees it. Hilarious.

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Back
Top Bottom