Total Information Awareness blocked by senate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Good news! :happy:

Senate Rebuffs Domestic Spy Plan
04:51 PM Jan. 23, 2003 PT

WASHINGTON -- Saying they feared government snooping against ordinary Americans, U.S. senators voted Thursday to block funding for a Pentagon (news - websites) computer project that would scour databases for terrorist threats.

By a voice vote, the Senate voted to ban funding for the Total Information Awareness program, under former national security adviser John Poindexter, until the Pentagon explains the program and assesses its impact on civil liberties.

Full Story here

Bin Ladin and Al Quada also enjoy this news as well.

((My Privacy)) since I last checked I was entitled to that.

As if they would have caught Bin Laden if this had passed. :rolleyes: More likely it would have spiraled out of control; our government can see enough of our lives if they want to.

What do you have to hide that is more important than others peoples lives, freedom and security?

STING2 said:

*gag

how much damage and removal of privacy would ever make you satisfied into thinking that enough is enough? once iraq has fulfilled their 17 rules?

its not a matter of not having anything to hide. its the fact that uncle sam has his fucking fingers up the noses of the american public looking for gold.

cheers to the senate, the republican senate may i add.

Yep *gag* . Who in the USA has the most to hide? Terrorist. Who benefits the most from blocking legitamite intelligence efforts to thwart terrorist events. Terrorist.

yup, then we also need to have security cameras in every room of every house so that our friendly big brother can watch to make sure were not doing anything they dont want us to do.

oh, but wait. that would be rediculous now wouldnt it...

STING2 said:
Yep *gag* . Who in the USA has the most to hide? Terrorist. Who benefits the most from blocking legitamite intelligence efforts to thwart terrorist events. Terrorist.

Yep *gag gag*. What happened to probable cause? Last I looked random scouring of any databases was an invasion of any citizens privacy. This makes me SICK!

I just find it interesting that the President, with a Republican controlled Senate lost this one. It would seem to me, that it means a few things potentially.

A) The Bill sucked.
B) Bush is losing control of the Moderates in the party.
C) Bush is free falling in the polls, hence some distancing.
D) Some special interest spent some money.

Hmmmm

Dreadsox said:
I just find it interesting that the President, with a Republican controlled Senate lost this one. It would seem to me, that it means a few things potentially.

A) The Bill sucked.

Hmmmm

E) Sanity prevailed.

STING2 said:

I know. Pity on the Senate for actually doing its legislative duties, and not handing Bush and his "secret" government carte blanche on security bills. For shame.

:|

Melon

Dreadsox said:

A) The Bill sucked.

Hmmmm

It is my view that privacy is one thing that has bipartisan concern. Both the far right and the far left value privacy heavily, and I must admit that I am quite happy that the Senate is willing to really debate this bill, rather than hastily slap up laws all under the guise of "anti-terrorism." The potential for abuse is heavy.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom