Tolerance in the Magic Kingdom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AcrobatMan said:

I didnt mean putting those who spread religions into prison or hanging them.

Just ensuring means to stop of spread of false stories...preaching..harassing others for spreading..putting loud speakers to spread propoganda..distributing free books....publicity at public places.. I want to end this...Not the Saudi style prohibition

The offender should be fined monetarily ...

repeated offenders can be put into JAIL :) for 2 months...
This is nutty. Sounds to me like reverse bigotry, and is in no way accepting of any belief other than your own. There are places in the world where people are executed for their beliefs, which is a sickening shame. How does that punishment begin to fit the crime? I seriously hope you learn to appreciate freedom of speech and expression a LOT more than this, and realize that it applies to everybody, not just yourself. In a free society, it is essential to allow both secular and spiritual ideas to surface. Is it really that hard on you?

When it comes to tolerance of religion I think that defending the rights of people to worship how they want provided that it does not hurt anybody is tolerant.

I chose the term "reverse" - as reverse racist could mean the likes of Malcolm X (before he cooled down) and Michael Moore.

Macfistowannabe said:
This is nutty. Sounds to me like reverse bigotry, and is in no way accepting of any belief other than your own.

I said ALL beliefs... no favors for my belief...or your belief

Macfistowannabe said:
There are places in the world where people are executed for their beliefs, which is a sickening shame.

I agree with you... this is really really bad...and unacceptable :(

Macfistowannabe said:
seriously hope you learn to appreciate freedom of speech and expression a LOT more than this, and realize that it applies to everybody, not just yourself. In a free society, it is essential to allow both secular and spiritual ideas to surface. Is it really that hard on you?

I am FOR freedom of speech and expression...and freedom to practise one's religion

Macfistowannabe said:
it is essential to allow both secular and spiritual ideas to surface. Is it really that hard on you?

spiritual...u mean spreading religion is spiritual...this is NUTTY

AcrobatMan said:
spiritual...u mean spreading religion is spiritual...this is NUTTY
So let me get this straight. Peaceful missionaries who clothe and feed villages, and offer a positive, uplifting message of hope are nutty and deserve to serve months behind bars?

Is dictionary.com nutty also?

2 entries found for spiritual.
spir·i·tu·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spr-ch-l)
adj.
Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See Synonyms at immaterial.
Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
Of, from, or relating to God; deific.
Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.
Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.

n.

A religious folk song of African-American origin.
A work composed in imitation of such a song.
Religious, spiritual, or ecclesiastical matters. Often used in the plural.

AcrobatMan said:
I said ALL beliefs... no favors for my belief...or your belief
What if my belief involved sharing my faith with others who may be interested?

AcrobatMan said:
I am FOR freedom of speech and expression...and freedom to practise one's religion
To what extent?

Macfistowannabe said:
So let me get this straight. Peaceful missionaries who clothe and feed villages,and offer a positive, uplifting message of hope are nutty and deserve to serve months behind bars?

That's really why they're there. The first part is equivalent to bribery.

Seeing what kind of small-mindedness and hateful stereotypes that Christianity spreads around, I don't know who to hate more: Saudi Arabia's brand of "Islam" or the missionaries' brand of "Christianity." It's all nutty and very overzealous.

Melon

Macfistowannabe said:
I chose the term "reverse" - as reverse racist could mean the likes of Malcolm X (before he cooled down) and Michael Moore.

Still no such thing. You are either racists or you're not, reversing racism eliminates racism.

melon said:
Seeing what kind of small-mindedness and hateful stereotypes that Christianity spreads around, I don't know who to hate more: Saudi Arabia's brand of "Islam" or the missionaries' brand of "Christianity." It's all nutty and very overzealous.

Melon

Is this based on your experiences as a missionary, or is it a counter-stereotype for purposes of discussion?

melon said:

That's really why they're there. The first part is equivalent to bribery.

Melon

Careful, melon.

So my brother who has been on many mission trips and does all these things, not just one , is just as dangerous as those who want "sharia" law? Wow.

Or in the same vein, Wahabi Islam is just as dangerous as Mormons in white shirts on bikes. (Please, no debate over Mormonism here, I am just making a point.) How many suicidal Mormon bikers have you seen?

nbcrusader said:
Is this based on your experiences as a missionary, or is it a counter-stereotype for purposes of discussion?

Counter-stereotype.

The point, I guess, is that I see a very large disconnect here. I'm glad you all are very judgmental of Islam. Personally, I can't stand the religion and if Saudi Arabia ceased to exist tomorrow, I wouldn't cry. Good riddance. Although I'm sure we'd miss their oil.

But when it comes to Christianity, we don't see the more "zealous" or "irrational" elements within our own religion. I don't generally see a real desire for "religious freedom" out there, when I see our own nation leading towards theocracy more and more. My "religious freedom" is ignored on a regular basis by a bunch of ranting and raving Christian mullahs whining about how the sky is going to fall if two men are happy together.

No, what I see is a bunch of Christians licking their chops on how they can convert a nation of Muslims into Christians, and then the gate of "religious freedom" can be closed, as far as they're concerned.

"Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye? You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye." -- Matthew 7:3-5

I guess Matthew here sums up my real point in language people will understand.

Melon

And Melon, the only beliefs I have bashed on this thread are racism and religious persecution. I respect all kinds of belief systems that get people through the day, and passive, non-militant Islam is one of them. If you really wanted to get into Bible verses, there are in fact some that encourage spreading the gospel.

Macfistowannabe said:
What if my belief involved sharing my faith with others who may be interested?

what if my belief requires me to carry SWORD. What if my religion wants to kill all those who dont believe in it.

Religions should always be personal and private "businesss".

Macfistowannabe said:

To what extent?

As long as you are not affecting others...Do anything you want behind the closed doors :sexywink: or your worship place.

...When outside it, be a representative of humanity and not your religion.

Macfistowannabe said:
So let me get this straight. Peaceful missionaries who clothe and feed villages, and offer a positive, uplifting message of hope are nutty and deserve to serve months behind bars?

Yes this is nutty. :|

If you want to offer help, please make it SECULAR else it should be disallowed.

first a warning..
then monetory fine ...
and then behind the bars for couple of months, if that is what it takes to stop this :shrug:

Please read Melon's post for more detail. I 100% agree with Melon on this.

Macfistowannabe said:
And Melon, the only beliefs I have bashed on this thread are racism and religious persecution.

Oh yes.. we all hate racism and religious persecution... :)

but dont expect any favors just because you are from religion X or religion Y.

All religious and non-religious people should be treated equally...

and rules should not be made on the basis of religion...
There is where Saudi gets it all wrong..There is where YOU get it all wrong... Like Melon, I see no difference between the two..

Sikhism, part of the 5 k's if im not mistaken ~ the kirpan, a most interesting religion, very much a theological bulwark against Islam historically and has not been immune from extremists in modern times.

Last edited:
AcrobatMan said:

Yes this is nutty. :|

If you want to offer help, please make it SECULAR else it should be disallowed.

first a warning..
then monetory fine ...
and then behind the bars for couple of months, if that is what it takes to stop this :shrug:

Please read Melon's post for more detail. I 100% agree with Melon on this.
You're on here saying "All religious and non-religious people should be treated equally..." but think about it. Should evangelizing atheists be treated the same way?

AcrobatMan said:
what if my belief requires me to carry SWORD. What if my religion wants to kill all those who dont believe in it.

Religions should always be personal and private "businesss".
You're relying on extremes to support your argument, and they are universally frowned upon. I request better examples.

AcrobatMan said:
As long as you are not affecting others...Do anything you want behind the closed doors :sexywink: or your worship place.

...When outside it, be a representative of humanity and not your religion.
People can live their way of life outside closed doors. You should be able to be the same person at home as you are anywhere else.

Macfistowannabe said:
Should evangelizing atheists be treated the same way?

There is no such thing as evangelizing atheist. I have never met or heard about any evangelizing atheist.

dictionary.com

e·van·gel·ize ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-vnj-lz)
v. e·van·gel·ized, e·van·gel·iz·ing, e·van·gel·iz·es
v. tr.
To preach the gospel to.
To convert to Christianity.

But If some crazy atheist guy wants other guys to believe that God doesnt exist and offer help to those who believe in what he says...or offer help and then try to FORCE this own ideology..that should be treated in the same way as I have told for people who FORCE religious ideology.

But I dont think it exists...Even dictionary.com doesnt think it exist..

Believe me "evangelizing atheist" doesnt exist.

:wink:

Macfistowannabe said:
You're relying on extremes to support your argument, and they are universally frowned upon. I request better examples.

I believe you havent travelled enough. This is not an SIMPLE example. this is a real time situation.

There is no end to appeasing in the name of religious freedom.

I am a big fan of religious freedom BUT I am not a fan of appeasement in the name of religious freedom...

Back
Top Bottom