To HELL with Seatbelt Laws!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z edge

I serve MacPhisto
Because about 30 minutes ago I just got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt.

This will be my 3rd ticket this year, and all because I wanted to run down the street to taco hell real quick.

I realize its only $35, but its the point of the matter. Oh, and the ticket is due 12/28. Explain to me how in the fuck I only have 2 weeks to pay this shit(e)???

Okay, I agree we should wear seatbelts. I normally do. I actually have this little agreement with myself; on the highway or long distances across town or anywhere the speed limit is 40+mph, I wear mine. Around town and to taco-fu*&^%g-hell I DON'T. Comfort and Convience are MY reasons.

The truth is, they say the laws are there to save lives. Bullshit(e)! They are there to make revenue. Thats why I was stopped, and have only 2 weeks to pay the fine. They could care less about my safety, its all about this $$$$$$$$

Well there gonna get my $$$$$$$ alright, I will be paying them 3500 pennies!!!!!!

I've always wondered about this law. Seems to me that if you make the choice not to wear a seatbelt and then you get in an accident and hurt yourself, it was your life anyways and your choice. How does this fall under the jurisdiction of the government? I don't quite get it.

Exactly. I guess the same could be said about helmet laws, although I think that is a bigger issue. However, the question of "freedom" keeps coming to mind.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I've always wondered about this law. Seems to me that if you make the choice not to wear a seatbelt and then you get in an accident and hurt yourself, it was your life anyways and your choice. How does this fall under the jurisdiction of the government? I don't quite get it.

Hmmm...never thought of that before...

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

yeah but it's an injury that didn't have to happen. it's an accident that didn't need an ambulance and it's a person who, otherwise, probably wouldn't have needed to go the hospital.

plus they just want your money.

------------------
against smileys

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 12-14-2001).]

Originally posted by kobayashi:
yeah but it's an injury that didn't have to happen. it's an accident that didn't need an ambulance and it's an injury that wouldn't need an ambulance and a hostpital visit.

plus they just want your money.

Yeah, but heart disease from eating too much McDonald's is an injury that didn't have to happen either, and they don't fine you for eating there.
tongue.gif
Bottom line...it's all about money and control.

What is the problem with wearing a seat belt? So the government make money out of you for not doing something that will prevent you from getting seriously injured. What's more inconvenient - putting on a belt or paying a fine? The government rips you off in more unfair ways than this people.

Just belt up
tongue.gif

------------------
Rain from Heaven.

Turn and talk or Crash and Burn.

Yeah, but heart disease from eating too much McDonald's is an injury that didn't have to happen either, and they don't fine you for eating there.
tongue.gif
Bottom line...it's all about money and control.

well one is in the public interest and the other is private. there is a very large consequential cost that stems from most traffic accidents. the roads, where traffic accidents occur, are a public domain and therefore the government, imo, has every right to try to decrease whatever they can.

------------------
against smileys

well one is in the public interest and the other is private. there is a very large consequential cost that stems from most traffic accidents. the roads, where traffic accidents occur, are a public domain and therefore the government, imo, has every right to try to decrease whatever they can.

Hmm. Perhaps. But accidents will occur on those roads whether people wear their seatbelts or not. If they don't wear them and they end up in the hospital, the domain again is private, is it not?

Hmm. Perhaps. But accidents will occur on those roads whether people wear their seatbelts or not. If they don't wear them and they end up in the hospital, the domain again is private, is it not?

oh i think you've got me there sula.

i'm stuck in my canadian mentality where healthcare is 'free'.

------------------
against smileys

oh i think you've got me there sula.

i'm stuck in my canadian mentality where healthcare is 'free'.

Ah well. I was actually going to remind you of that. Our healthcare is not only NOT free, it's expensive as hell.
biggrin.gif

*moves to Canada*

wink.gif

Originally posted by Mirrorball Man:
Z edge: Why don't you want to wear a seatbelt?

I am for seatbelts, I usually don't wear them around town at low speeds for comfort. I really don't like the idea of having to pay a fine because they IMO could give a shit(e) less about my health or well-being, just an excuse to make me cough up some revenue. And the whole 2 week deal really seals it. I've been thinking hard about this. F**K 'em, I'm going to court. I will at least cause them some paperwork and heartache. I know several good lawyers.

if you don't wear a seatbelt, the only person you will be physically harming is yourself, period.
seatbelt laws are a joke, and they are there to annoy and to cash in on. it's like having somebody give you free advice, and then make you pay for it!!! utter bullshit.

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 12-14-2001).]

and the roads are not privately owned, so it's not like a "if you don't wash your hair in my house, get out" sort of thing.
i can see the use of other laws where they prevent you from hurting yourself and OTHER people, but if it's yourself only, then you should have the simple freedom of :choice.

seatbelts save lives.

that's why they made a law enforcing it.
when they make a law you'll bitch and complain but for the most part you will comply.

this is quite likely to help you at some point in your life, perhaps it will save your life. if it's not you then it will be someone you know or love.

if you choose to break the law then you will have to pay a relatively small monetary fee.

it's really not that of a deal. i only ever see american's ever get worked up about these 'invasion of their rights'

------------------
against smileys

that's what makes this country great, you are allows to have a choice regarding your OWN life.
seatbelts save lives huh? ok thanks for the info, i'll take that into account when i break the law by not wearing a seatbelt, but abid with the law when i smoke my cigarette in a designated smoking area of a resturaunt.

Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
that's what makes this country great, you are allows to have a choice regarding your OWN life.
seatbelts save lives huh? ok thanks for the info, i'll take that into account when i break the law by not wearing a seatbelt, but abid with the law when i smoke my cigarette in a designated smoking area of a resturaunt.

yeah you're right, that is definitely a discrepancy.
but wait 'till you lose a friend because they were 'cool' and didn't wear their seatbelt, by their own choice of course. unfortunately there will be no cop to stop them and they will die.

the more they enforce it
the more will comply
the less lives lost
if you wanna look at it as another revenue stream for the government so be it, but the statement above is the actual result on society(in addition to a handful of people having $30 less dollars).

in case you were wondering i live in ottawa, ontario. one of several cities in ontario where you CANNOT smoke in public, save for a very few designated spots. even bars. i love it.

------------------
against smileys

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 12-14-2001).]

hey i'm arguing reason, and your arguing feelings.
my cousin is paralysed neck down from a car accident because he didn't wear a seatbelt. who am i to blame him, that because he did not wear a seatbelt, he could have survived this fully intact? am i god? do i know what's better for his OWN self? all i can do is offer my support for him, and that is ALL he needs.
you know last time i checked, seatbelts reduce the amounts of death considerably, but they do not completely eliminate the chances, and in a few incidents, seatbelts have been known to interfer with the rescuing process.

Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
hey i'm arguing reason, and your arguing feelings.
my cousin is paralysed neck down from a car accident because he didn't wear a seatbelt. who am i to blame him, that because he did not wear a seatbelt, he could have survived this fully intact? am i god? do i know what's better for his OWN self? all i can do is offer my support for him, and that is ALL he needs.
you know last time i checked, seatbelts reduce the amounts of death considerably, but they do not completely eliminate the chances, and in a few incidents, seatbelts have been known to interfer with the rescuing process.

i am sorry for your cousin and am glad you realize. unfortunately such a law is neccessary within society, though it may not be applicable in your mind.

------------------
against smileys

What are the seatbelt laws in the US? I guess it's different state by state. As long as I've been alive it's been law that you have to wear a belt here. But you get so used to it that without thinking it's on by the end of the driveway, and no-one ever gets fined for not, unless you are doing something stupid to attract the attention.

i am sorry for your cousin and am glad you realize. unfortunately such a law is neccessary within society, though it may not be applicable in your mind.

i do relise that it's a good thing, just the way they inforce it what i don't appreciate. they should keep the law, show the risks on tv just like they do with cigs, but not charge the people when they break it.
a simple reminder is better and it even makes people less hostile towards it. force doesn't always work.
it's only neccessary in a society that is too dumb to relise the consequences. we are not children. by all means strap your child in and make that a seperate law and fine people for not doing it.

Fine.
You want to risk death, why should I, the gov't, or anyone else have any say??
I agree with you there.
But please dont wreck and fly out of your windshield, and onto the highway where I could be passing by and run your already dead carcass over!
That would ruin MY day, not to mention make a mess on my car.

AND, would my insurance rates be affected??? With all these "freedom fighters" headbuttin' windshields left and right!??

I dont want to pay more because you died. That would bum me out.

Yeah, I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt. I guess for the same reasons I would never drive with my eyes blindfolded and my hands tied behind my back... Its safer.

Simple.

This reply HAS been all "tongue in cheek", but.. I am serious about the insurance deal.

[This message has been edited by Trash Can (edited 12-14-2001).]

final response to this thread which was so lacking in common sense.

always wear you seat belt

------------------
against smileys

This is the same logic I gave the cop when I got a ticket at three AM for going 73 in a 55 zone... with not a car in sight...

Hrrumph...

A seatbelt law is to protect the aidworkers from mental damage when the have to scrape your worthless ass off of the pavement. A seatbelt saved my life once and I?ve seen people who didn?t wear one end up in a puddle near the side of the road with their brains at the OTHER side of the road (I shit you not).

I guess this law is an attempt by the government to protect people who are too dumb to protect themselves.

But hey! If you want to be free, be free....

z edge:

Have you tried that new Grilled Chicken Quesadilla at Taco Bell?

Most of you know how conservative and pseudo-libertarian I am, but let me propose this: If you are in a wreck and you are NOT wearing your seatbelt, insurance does NOT pay for your injuries. How does that sound?

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom