Tillman Family Rejects DOD Findings...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
SAN JOSE - Pat Tillman’s family firmly rejected the Defense Department’s findings into the former NFL star’s friendly-fire death in Afghanistan, calling for congressional investigations into what they see as broad malfeasance and a coverup.

“Perhaps subpoenas are necessary to elicit candor and accuracy from the military,” his family said in a statement Monday night, after hearing the results of the latest probes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17810007/?GT1=9145

It's such a shame that his story has turned into this because the military waited so long to tell the truth. It seems that they were so nervous about the whole thing because he was famous. I feel sorry for his family-to have to deal with all of that on top of their grief.

Tillmans reject son's death as 'a travesty'

Los Angeles Times-Washington Post

Washington: The family of US Army Ranger Pat Tillman has angrily rejected the Pentagon's latest explanation of his 2004 death in Afghanistan from friendly fire as a "travesty''.

The family accused the military of "a conspiracy to deceive'' and of exploiting Tillman to bolster recruiting efforts.

"Once again, we are being used as props in a Pentagon public relations exercise,'' the Tillman family said in a statement released on Tuesday, one day after military officials met with them to discuss the most recent review of the case.

Tillman's mother, Mary Tillman, told National Public Radio in an interview tinged with bitterness that officials who visited her on Monday accused the family of being "abusive'' towards the military - an allegation she did not deny.

"We got to the point where we were extremely rude to them, but they ... were just lying,'' she said. "You know, lying is a form of abuse, and we've been lied to for three years.''

The Tillmans demanded a congressional investigation into what they say is sweeping malfeasance and a cover-up. US Rep Mike Honda, who represents the Tillman's San Jose, California, district, asked the House Committee on Armed Services to hold hearings.

The hearings started today-Jessica Lynch also testified

She was distraught to come home and find herself billed as a hero when two of her fellow soldiers had fought bravely until the firefight's end and another had died after picking up soldiers and removing them from harm's way.

"The American people are capable of determining their own ideals for heroes, and they don't need to be told elaborate lies," she said. "I had the good fortune to come home and to tell the truth. Many soldiers, like Pat Tillman, did not have that opportunity.

"The truth of war is not always easy. The truth is always more heroic than the hype," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/24/tillman.hearing/index.html

Irvine511 said:
but i thought the US military never lies. :sad:

There is always someone with an agenda. It is indeed a tragic mess. However, I still have a tremendous amount of respect for Tillman. He put his money (literally) where his mouth was.

I am shocked that the U.S. military would lie about such tragic events. Why would they do such a thing? Why not just come out with the truth right away and say: "sorry, we made a mistake"? Why compound the pain of the family by hiding the truth??

The same thing about Jessica Lynch. Her being rescued was brave enough - why embelish the story? Why not just report the truth of what happened? Why do people have to lie about something when they know that the truth will come out eventually anyway.....

I don't understand.

++++

From the CNN website:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The last soldier to see Army Ranger Pat Tillman alive, Spc. Bryan O'Neal, told lawmakers that he was warned by superiors not to divulge -- especially to the Tillman family -- that a fellow soldier killed Tillman.

O'Neal particularly wanted to tell fellow soldier Kevin Tillman, who was in the convoy traveling behind his brother at the time of the 2004 incident in Afghanistan.

"I wanted right off the bat to let the family know what had happened, especially Kevin, because I worked with him in a platoon and I knew that he and the family all needed to know what had happened," O'Neal testified. "I was quite appalled that when I was actually able to speak with Kevin, I was ordered not to tell him."

Asked who gave him the order, O'Neal replied that it came from his battalion commander, then-Lt. Col. Jeff Bailey.

"He basically just said ... 'Do not let Kevin know, that he's probably in a bad place knowing his brother's dead,' " O'Neal told House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Henry Waxman. "And he made it known I would get in trouble, sir, if I spoke with Kevin on it being fratricide."

The military instead released a "manufactured narrative" detailing how Pat Tillman died leading a courageous counterattack in an Afghan mountain pass, Kevin Tillman told the committee. (Watch Kevin Tillman accuse the military of lying )

Also Tuesday, former Pfc. Jessica Lynch told the House panel that the military lied about her capture.

Lynch testified that after her vehicle was attacked in Iraq in March 2003, she suffered a mangled spinal column, broken arm, crushed foot, shattered femur and even a sexual assault.

But it only added insult to injury, literally, when she returned to her parents' home in West Virginia, which "was under siege by media all repeating the story of the little girl 'Rambo' from the hills of West Virginia who went down fighting," Lynch said. (Watch Lynch set the record straight )

"It was not true," she said before gently chiding the military. "The truth is always more heroic than the hype."

Waxman, D-California, said the military "invented" tales about Tillman and Lynch. (Watch Lynch describe her bond with the Tillman family )

"The bare minimum we owe our soldiers and their families is the truth," Waxman said. "That didn't happen for two of the most famous soldiers in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars."

Brother calls tale 'calculated lies'
As the tide was turning in the U.S. battle against Afghan insurgents -- and as media outlets prepared to release reports on detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib in Iraq -- the military saw Pat Tillman's death as an "opportunity," Kevin Tillman told the panel.

Even after it became clear the report was bogus, the military clung to the "utter fiction" that Pat Tillman was killed by a member of his platoon who was following the rules of engagement, the brother said.

"Revealing that Pat's death was a fratricide would have been yet another political disaster during a month already swollen with disasters," Kevin Tillman said. "The facts needed to be suppressed. An alternative narrative had to be constructed, crucial evidence destroyed."

Tillman bristled at the military claim that the initial report was merely misleading.

Clearly resentful, he told the panel that writing a field report stating that his brother had been "transferred to an intensive care unit for continued CPR after most of his head had been taken off by multiple .556 rounds is not misleading."

"These are deliberate and calculated lies," he said.

Pat Tillman, who became a national hero after he gave up a lucrative contract with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals to join the Army's elite Rangers force, was awarded the Silver Star, the military's third-highest combat decoration, after the Army said he was killed leading a counterattack.

O'Neal testified that his superiors had him write a statement about the incident for Tillman's Silver Star commendation. He said the final version contained false statements about enemy fire that had been inserted by someone else.

Thomas F. Gimble, the Defense Department's acting inspector general, said that investigators could not determine who altered O'Neal's statement and that no attempt was made to examine the document's electronic history.

The Army later acknowledged that not only that Tillman was killed by his fellow soldiers, but that officers in Tillman's chain of command knew the counterattack story was bogus.

Still, Senior Chief Petty Officer Stephen White told the official heroism-under-fire story at a May 3, 2004, memorial service for Tillman.

"It's a horrible thing that happened with Pat," White, a Navy SEAL who was Tillman's friend, told the committee. "I'm the guy that told America how he died, basically, at that memorial. It was incorrect. That does not sit well with me."

Though the military blamed the erroneous report on an inadequate initial investigation, Mary Tillman told ESPN Radio last month that everyone involved in the shooting knew immediately that her son had been shot three times in the head by a member of his platoon.

"The Tillman family was kept in the dark for more than a month," Waxman said. "Evidence was destroyed. Witness statements were doctored. The Tillman family wants to know how all of this could've happened."

Lynch: Truth 'not always easy'
Lynch's testimony began with a recollection of the March 23, 2003, attack and her purported rescue nine days later.

As she and her fellow 11 soldiers drove through Nassiriya, Iraq, they noticed armed men standing in the streets and on rooftops. Three soldiers were quickly killed when a rocket-propelled grenade slammed into their vehicle, Lynch said.

The other eight died in the ensuing fighting or from injuries suffered during the fighting, she said. Lynch later woke up at Saddam Hussein General Hospital.

"When I awoke, I did not know where I was. I could not move. I could not call for help. I could not fight," she said, explaining she had a six-inch gash in her head and numerous broken bones. "The nurses at the hospital tried to soothe me, and they even tried unsuccessfully at one point to return me to Americans."

On April 1, U.S. troops came for her.

"A soldier came into the room. He tore the American flag from his uniform, and he handed it to me in my hand and he told me, 'We're American soldiers, and we're here to take you home.' And I looked at him and I said, 'Yes, I'm an American soldier, too,' " she recalled.

She was distraught to come home and find herself billed as a hero when two of her fellow soldiers had fought bravely until the firefight's end and another had died after picking up soldiers and removing them from harm's way.

"The American people are capable of determining their own ideals for heroes, and they don't need to be told elaborate lies," she said. "I had the good fortune to come home and to tell the truth. Many soldiers, like Pat Tillman, did not have that opportunity.

"The truth of war is not always easy. The truth is always more heroic than the hype," she said.

Lynch became a celebrity after U.S. troops filmed what they said was a daring raid on the hospital. Hospital staffers, however, said there were no Iraqi troops at the hospital when the purported rescue took place.

In the March 23, 2003, attack, Lynch, the Army claimed, was shot and stabbed during a fierce gun battle with Iraqi troops that left 11 of her comrades dead. It was later learned that Lynch never fired a shot during the firefight because her gun was jammed with sand.

They lie so they can manipulate the populace.

There are thousands and thousands of documents from the past along with testimony from individuals who participated in past events which have revealed totally different versions of the popular view of history. Lotsa things happen because good people do bad things behind the scenes. Governments have no conscious.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/ or watch Fog of War and hear former Defense Secretary Robert McNamara reveal a whole lot about what he knew. Scary stuff.

Truth is always the first casualty of war.

Last edited:
The US military won't even supply witnesses or evidence to the British courts in cases of friendly fire...and the UK is meant to be its best buddy:eyebrow:

AEON said:

There is always someone with an agenda. It is indeed a tragic mess

Who do you think has the agenda in this situation?

It's a tragic mess because people in the US military took a man with enormous integrity and honorable motives and turned his death into a bunch of propaganda filled lies. His death was tragic enough, that only adds to it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You mean the military in this instance?

I think, "the military" is a bit far fetched, but people with a say, or at least great
influence, surely did.

Vincent Vega said:

I think, "the military" is a bit far fetched, but people with a say, or at least great
influence, surely did.

What do you mean? You don't think anyone in the military had anything to do with this?

I wonder how long the Administration and all of the "talking heads" ie: Rush, Hannity and O'Rielly start calling Pat Tillman's Mom a bleeding heart liberal who is against the troops and is a traitor because she is speaking out like she is.

This is truly a travesty. :sad:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What do you mean? You don't think anyone in the military had anything to do with this?

Sorry, just realized that "far fetched" wasn't the right expression.

I mean, to say "the military" is too general, not far fetched.

I think it was a political militarical thing, plain propaganda, because the public loves stories of heroes, and to keep the wars accepted among the public someone with influence, either a person out of the military, or some influencial person, or both, constructed stories and used his influence to change the stories.

Vincent Vega said:

I think it was a political militarical thing, plain propaganda, because the public loves stories of heroes, and to keep the wars accepted among the public someone with influence, either a person out of the military, or some influencial person, or both, constructed stories and used his influence to change the stories.

Or like his brother suggested, to deflect attention away from decreased support for the war, negative stories about the war, AbuGhraib, etc. Who knows how high up this went, will we ever know?

And anyone like Rush, etc. who starts attacking Mrs. Tillman- well that's pathetic. The least any parent deserves who has lost a son or daughter in war is the 100% truth about the circumstances surrounding their death.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Or like his brother suggested, to deflect attention away from decreased support for the war, negative stories about the war, AbuGhraib, etc. Who knows how high up this went, will we ever know?

And anyone like Rush, etc. who starts attacking Mrs. Tillman- well that's pathetic. The least any parent deserves who has lost a son or daughter in war is the 100% truth about the circumstances surrounding their death.

Yes, I was thinking of that. News weren't as good as hoped for, and then it also was a very popular person so they didn't need a friendly fire incident because that doesn't make for good propaganda.

President didn't know Tillman killed by friendly fire until after funeral
The Associated Press
Updated: 5:02 p.m. ET April 25, 2007

WASHINGTON - President Bush hopes that someone is held responsible for the U.S. military's mishandling of information about the death of former football star Pat Tillman in Afghanistan, the White House said Wednesday.

Bush did not learn about the unusual circumstances of the Army ranger's death until after the soldier's memorial service on May 3, 2004, said deputy press secretary Dana Perino.

U.S. military officers at first reported that Tillman had died in an ambush, when he actually was killed by fellow U.S. troops.

"I think that he feels deeply sorry for the family and all that they've gone through," Perino said. "And he's pleased that the Department of Defense has taken it upon themselves to investigate it. And he hopes that people are held to account."

Tillman's death received worldwide attention because he had walked away from a huge contract with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals to enlist in the Army after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. His family initially was misled by the Pentagon about how he died on April 22, 2004, and did not learn the truth for more than a month.

Bush asked for updates about Tuesday's hearing by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, which was held to learn whether, and when, top Defense officials and the White House knew that Tillman's death resulted from friendly fire.

"It's not clear - people don't remember - if he (Bush) heard it from media reports, or if he heard it from the Pentagon, but it was sometime after the funeral," Perino said.

In questioning what the White House knew about Tillman, Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., cited a memo written by a top general seven days after Tillman's death, warning that it was "highly possible" the Army Ranger was killed by friendly fire and making clear that his warning should be conveyed to the president.

But Bush made no reference to the way Tillman died in a speech delivered two days after the memo was written on April 29, 2004.

The White House said there's no indication that Bush received the warning, which was conveyed from then-Maj. Gen. Stanley McChrystal to Gen. John Abizaid, head of Central Command.

"There is no record of Gen. McChrystal's memo coming to the White House," Perino said.

Why are these people complaining? It's not as if their suffering is as much as that of LAURA BUSH and the President:

First Lady Laura Bush said this morning that "no one suffers more" than the president and she do when watching television footage of the carnage in Iraq -- potentially opening her up to charges that the first family is too removed from the anguish of American troops and their families.

From the Washington Post.

hey, wake up!

Informed and educated Joe and Joan America are with the DOD.

Its the democrats and liberals who are un American by questioning the DOD and are cuasing great distress among the troops.

But don't you see, guys? We just need to give them another chance to make things right. I mean, have they ever let us down before?

mypetgoat.jpg

guantanamo.jpg

AbuGraib-USSoldier.jpg

050901-katrina2-l.jpg

mccain-market.jpg

Rumsfeld1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom