Three UK vessels seized in Iran

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3826179.stm

According to Iran three British navy vessels have been seized inside its territorial waters close to the Iraqi border.

"Iran's naval forces, acting on their legal duty, confiscated the vessels and arrested the crew," he added.
The Ministry of Defence in London confirmed that it had lost contact with three small patrol boats in the area.

So do you think it was simply an incident, does Iran use these soldiers for getting more tolerance on their nuclear program, has it something to do with the iranian troops at the border of iraq/iran?

The Iranians have a little bit of history when it comes to using hostages for political bartering, I wouldnt be surprised if they use them in negotiations with Britain to water down UN resolutions against them.

It probably isn't directly related to the movements of the Iranian Army on the western border but I am certain that it will remove any warnings for a future buildup.

We can only hope that the Iranians don't fly off the handle and put panties on their heads.

If the British ships were in Iranian waters, then Iran has every right in the world to do what they've done so far. What happens next with the sailors is the interesting part. I'd say it's all to do with the British pressure on Iranian nuclear interests. I'd be amazed if this is the first time British/US/etc ships have strayed into Iranian waters. I guess just see how they use it to pressure back. If it's subtle or if it's open blackmail.

Nobody really seems to know where they were.

A British military source acknowledged the British boats may have strayed into Iranian waters. "It was quite a confused situation. The weather was appalling and this happened in a confined stretch of water," he said.

Reuters

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Eight British sailors seized in Iranian waters could be released soon if investigations show their incursion was not ill-intended, an Iranian military official said, potentially defusing a serious diplomatic spat.

Earlier, an unnamed Revolutionary Guards official told the semi-official Fars news agency the men had confessed to entering Iran's territorial waters deliberately and would be tried.

A Tehran-based political analyst, who declined to be named, said the contradictory statements emerging from Iran on the Britons' case were "probably the result of some kind of battle going on inside the Iranian regime" between reformist and hardline elements. "We probably won't see a solution until that battle is resolved."

They admited on TV that they crossed the border:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3828377.stm
Iranian television has broadcast statements by detained British sailors apparently admitting entering Iranian territorial waters illegally.

Two of the eight sailors being held said they crossed the border from Iraq by accident, according to an Arabic translation played over their words.

nbcrusader said:
Really? A couple of the soldiers held under armed guard made a statement supporting the Iranian claims?

A couple of soldeirs held under armed guard (Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib, etc.) made a statement supporting the American claims?

Every pendulum swings both ways.

nbcrusader said:
So you are outraged by this Iranian incident?

If they were in internationally recognised Iranian waters, then that's the way the cookie crumbles. I mean, you can imagine what the US would do if an Iranian Navy ship stumbled into US waters.... If they were there, they put themselves in a stupid position and now it's all down to how Iran treats the situation. If they were there, Iran so far hasn't done anything wrong. It's how they handle it from now. How they treat them and how much of a big deal they make it/the leverage they try and get from them.

If they were NOT in Iranian waters then it's a different story, but it seems no-one, not even the British Navy, seem to know where they were. Obviously I don't believe the 'statement' by the soldiers for a second.

So I guess, who knows?

US spy plane over China anyone?

Last edited:
nbcrusader:
You're right - of course their statements are not more trustworthy than these held under american armed guard.
Isn't it sad that the country formerly known as the leader of the free world is now on comparable to iran in level of honesty and torture?

Last edited:
Apparently, the UK sailors will be released today. From the BBC website:

Iran orders release of UK sailors

Iran has issued an order to release eight British sailors detained on the border with Iraq, an Iranian armed forces spokesman says.

Ali Reza Afshar said "the order for the release of the vessels and their military crew was issued" after UK forces said they had "made a mistake".

Iranian Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi was quoted on Wednesday as saying the British crew "will be freed today".

Back
Top Bottom