This is only a test!!!!! There is nothing to see here!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meanwhile, the secretary for Veterans Affairs said that "society would benefit" if the U.S. were to bring back the draft and that it shouldn't have any loopholes for anyone who is called to serve.

WTF. :huh:

As far as I'm concerned, conscription is thoroughly morally reprehensible.

No exceptions? Well I've got one eye, if they draft me expect lots of ducking; god only knows who I might accidentally pick off.

382476.jpg

I don't understand the problem.

Israel has a draft, Israeli men and women serve from ages 18 till 21 (two years for women and three years for men). What's wrong with serving in the army and aiding in the defense of your own country?

Why should people only be allowed to take from their country and not give back?

AussieU2fanman said:
^ ? Don't they let gay people in the army? What if ur not a very flamboyant gay and u hide it well?

in the US, we have an archaic, "don't ask/don't tell" policy.

they discharge perfectly fluent Arabic translators.

it's the supidest policy ever and proof positive that Bush and Co. were never serious about the GWOT in the first place.

tens of thousands of gay people serve in the US Armed Forces, they're just forced to live a lie while at work.

(was being snarky; but you can be damned well sure i'd be as flamboyant as possible if someone threatened to send me to Iraq to die for a failure)

AchtungBono said:
I don't understand the problem.

Israel has a draft, Israeli men and women serve from ages 18 till 21 (two years for women and three years for men). What's wrong with serving in the army and aiding in the defense of your own country?

Well, if it were in defense of our country that would be different. I'm sure if we were attacked we'd all be out in the street fighting. But look, America goes all over the world sticking their noses in everyone else's business. I don't believe in their causes, and I won't die for them. No one should be forced to.

Why should people only be allowed to take from their country and not give back?

I don't personally believe ANYONE in ANY country owes their government their life just because they were born there.

Butterscotch said:

Well, if it were in defense of our country that would be different. I'm sure if we were attacked we'd all be out in the street fighting. But look, America goes all over the world sticking their noses in everyone else's business. I don't believe in their causes, and I won't die for them. No one should be forced to.

Amen.

If it were a legit war or if this country was in serious eminate danger, the draft would be totally unnecessary because people would not hesitate to enlist.

It's possible to serve your country without serving in the military. You can work at a public hospital or in some other service capacity. It's against some people's religion to serve in the military. The Mennonites, the Quakers, and others don't believe in serving in the military because they are pacifists. People who don't want to serve in the military aren't just takers.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You think the military is the only way to give to your country?:huh:

No BVS, I shouldn't have said that - That was very hypocritical of me because I, myself, didn't serve in the Israeli army.

At the age of 18 I finished high school and received my draft notice. However, because I was attending a religious school I received an exemption on religious grounds. This has disturbed me for all the years since (I'm now 46).

On the other hand, because I didn't serve my country physically,
I have done all I could not to be a burden on my country. I obey the law, keep a steady job, pay my taxes, donate to charities, give blood whenever I can - and most of all, I've appointed myself as Israel's online ambassador, spreading messages of peace and defending Israel on hostile Islamic websites.

YES.....there are more ways to serve one's country, and I apologize for my remarks.

It's proposals like this that make me very grateful for being old and having really shitty eyesight. :)

Back
Top Bottom