This guy gives me hope for the future of true Christianity - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,720
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This guy gives me hope for the future of true Christianity

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse




Irvine511,

That's up to you. I'm just saying it's a good idea to give all points of view on an issue a good read and study.

For me, it breaks down to what you decide will be the final authority.

Your personal opinion or the source of your faith.


i'm not going to give much weight to perspectives that are demonstrably false. saying that black people are criminals, women are stupid, and gays are immoral are not points of view that i have any time for. i draw no authority on this other than my own eyes, ears, experience, and conscience. likewise, i'm not going to give much weight to the opinion that the earth is 4,000 years old, that there are civilizations living below the earth's crust, or that the sun revolves around the earth.

none of these have anything to do with opinion vs. faith. they have everything to do with logic, reason, and fact.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

That is, they engaged in rational debate over ideas drawn from existing enshrined customs of their own cultural milieu--more often ones born from bloody power struggles between monarchs and parliaments, merchants and aristocrats, established churches and religious minorities than from any alleged revelations of "universal law" acquired through "pure" reason or faith.
Yolland, for the most part I agree with you.

However, do you think such a consensus is possible in the era of multi-culturalism? This examples demonstrates a consensus reached by people of a common background, education, customs...etc. I wonder how possible it is to reach such s consensus between people of radically different backgrounds, educations, customs...etc.
__________________

AEON is offline  
Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
hardyharhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Out Californy-way
Posts: 8,403
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON


Yolland, for the most part I agree with you.

However, do you think such a consensus is possible in the era of multi-culturalism? This examples demonstrates a consensus reached by people of a common background, education, customs...etc. I wonder how possible it is to reach such s consensus between people of radically different backgrounds, educations, customs...etc.
It seems to me we're finding this out right now in this melting pot called America.
hardyharhar is offline  
Old 07-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #104
War Child
 
BWU2Buffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Posts: 918
Local Time: 08:15 AM
Did the person ever write the post that he/she was researching and working on at home and work -- someone mentioned it was like waiting for Harry Potter -- Harry showed up, but did the post? Please help, my eyelids are getting heavy and I am curious to read it.
BWU2Buffs is offline  
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar


It seems to me we're finding this out right now in this melting pot called America.
Very true. What is your verdict? Has a consensus been reached? If not, can it possibly be reached through rational dialogue? (I hope so, but I have my doubts).
AEON is offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 AM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
hardyharhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Out Californy-way
Posts: 8,403
Local Time: 06:15 AM
I'd say that considering how polarized we are currently, and the fact we haven't had another revolution yet, means there is at least a consensus on trying to move forward despite our current difficulties. Who can say what the outcome will be, but I think most people truly want the same thing. Their families to be safe and have food to eat. And I think this is the same anywhere on earth. If people felt these two basic needs of theirs were important to the rest of the world, the odds of so many turning to radicalism are diminished. And I definitely feel a consensus in this country and most others could be reached committing to something like this if we felt it would ease global tensions.

At least I would hope so.

Probably not what the original question was, but this is where it took me
hardyharhar is offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #107
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Can you give an example of a significant US voting bloc today which rejects the authority of the Constitution, the form of the government it maps out, or the procedures by which it operates?
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 03:14 AM   #108
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 08:15 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This guy gives me hope for the future of true Christianity

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

I'm just saying it's a good idea to give all points of view on an issue a good read and study.
Then please do so, drive by posts don't add much to anything...
BVS is offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #109
War Child
 
Ormus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Frontios
Posts: 758
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BWU2Buffs
Did the person ever write the post that he/she was researching and working on at home and work -- someone mentioned it was like waiting for Harry Potter -- Harry showed up, but did the post? Please help, my eyelids are getting heavy and I am curious to read it.
It's me who's supposed to write it, and, no, I haven't finished it yet. My apologies.

To give you an idea, this week at work has been rather difficult, and I'm writing bits of it after very long days at work. If I had known that this week was going to be so awful, I wouldn't have hyped everyone up like that.

To be realistic, probably the earliest anyone can expect it is this weekend, so feel free to rest up!
Ormus is offline  
Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus


It's me who's supposed to write it, and, no, I haven't finished it yet. My apologies.

To give you an idea, this week at work has been rather difficult, and I'm writing bits of it after very long days at work. If I had known that this week was going to be so awful, I wouldn't have hyped everyone up like that.

To be realistic, probably the earliest anyone can expect it is this weekend, so feel free to rest up!
That long?
__________________

U2isthebest is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×