This "Barbershop" Movie..Whats all the hoopla about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
A lot of hype/controversy on this film..
Some ppl are offended...
Some arent..

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are trying to censor portions of it..
Its a comedy based on the way African American view each another w differing opinions who work in the nieghborhood babershop together.. ect.

Many in Jesse and Al's community are saying by censoring portions "polictical correctness" has gone too far..
The producers of the film are not happy w Jesse and Al..claiming they are trying to suppress their art..saying they are too sensitive ect..

Looks like a decent film..

Anybody seen it yet?
Is it offensible?

DB9

i haven't seen it yet cos we don't get a lot of movies out here. i think we should leave this in here for a bit...if anyone has any news on it.

I haven't seen it yet but the "offensive" jokes have something to do with Rosa Parks and Dr. King being a philanderer.

I saw it before all the controversy, so the comments made about Jackson and Sharpton were surprising, but HILARIOUS considering the character who said them.

The character is played by Cedric the Entertainer and I'm assuming that the controversy in the media was spurred by the monologue Cedric performs. He basically says a lot of stuff that you wouldn't expect a black man to say. He claims that Jackson, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Sharpton, and a bunch of other black leaders are cons who get all the credit, but do/did little of the actual work that lead to the progress of black Americans.

The comments had some truth, and I don't see what drawing attention is going to do. People who see it will laugh and have a good time, and that one particular scene will probably cause most moviegoers to have a stimulating conversation afterward.

I think that Jackson and Sharpton are just trying to gain publicity, but are hurting their images within the black community.

Danospano said:
I saw it before all the controversy, so the comments made about Jackson and Sharpton were surprising, but HILARIOUS considering the character who said them.

, Sharpton, and a bunch of other black leaders are cons who get all the credit, but do/did little of the actual work that lead to the progress of black Americans.

The comments had some truth, and I don't see what drawing attention is going to do. People who see it will laugh and have a good time, and that one particular scene will probably cause most moviegoers to have a stimulating conversation afterward.

I think that Jackson and Sharpton are just trying to gain publicity, but are hurting their images within the black community.

So..Al and Jesse are looking 'oppurtunistic' here is that it, Dano..in your estimation?

Hmmmm....
I was watching a African American lady verbally 'bitch-slapping' a African American fellow on a talk show he was being way too sensitive regarding this issue and to grow up..and dont watch the movie if it offended him..

DB9

the NAACP has issued statements saying this scene was not offensive, AH is correct, it is indeed all about Sharpton and Jackson shamelessly playing the race card in an attempt to get publicitiy; Sharpton has threatened to call for a boycott of the film in protest, which makes so much sense, protest a film instead of the appalling statistical atrocities that indicate that many minorities in the inner cities are poorly educated, facing poverty and live in environments over-run with crime, way to go Sharpton/Jackson, for once again speaking out on the issues that are so important

Back
Top Bottom