They're both stupid and should be slapped equally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
It's all here guys.
It's funny how both parties still think they're relevant in their respected arenas:

Politics RSS ARCHIVE

Rocker Tells Huckabee to Lay Off Song

Friday, February 15, 2008 11:00 AM

Article Font Size

CONCORD, N.H. -- The chief songwriter and founder of the band Boston has more than a feeling that he's being ripped off by Mike Huckabee.

In a letter to the Republican presidential hopeful, Tom Scholz complains that Huckabee is using his 1970s smash hit song "More Than a Feeling" without his permission. A former member of the band, Barry Goudreau, has appeared with Huckabee at campaign events, and they have played the song with Huckabee's band, Capitol Offense.

Scholz, who said Goudreau left the band more than 25 years ago after a three-year stint, objects to the implication that the band and one of its members has endorsed Huckabee's candidacy.

"Boston has never endorsed a political candidate, and will all due respect, would not start by endorsing a candidate who is the polar opposite of most everything Boston stands for," wrote Scholz, adding that he is supporting Democratic Sen. Barack Obama. "By using my song, and my band's name Boston, you have taken something of mine and used it to promote ideas to which I am opposed. In other words, I think I've been ripped off, dude!"

Fred Bramante, who was chairman of Huckabee's New Hampshire campaign, called the allegations ridiculous. He said he attended dozens of Huckabee rallies in New Hampshire and other states and never heard Huckabee play "More Than a Feeling," other than when Goudreau campaigned with him in Iowa in October.

"Governor Huckabee plays 'Sweet Home Alabama.' Does that mean Lynard Skynard is endorsing him? He plays 'Louie Louie.' Does that mean The Kingsmen are endorsing him? To me, it's ridiculous," he said. "Never once has he said, 'The band Boston endorses me.'

Tensions between Scholz and some of the early band members date from the early 1980s, when CBS Inc. sued the band over delays in recording new albums. The company's Epic Records label recorded the band's first two releases: "Boston," in 1976, and "Don't Look Back," in 1978.

Scholz _ who wrote, engineered, and laid down nearly all the instrumental tracks on the first album _ countersued for the rights to the band's name and music. Three members of the original band, including Goudreau, testified for the record company, which lost.

In his letter, Scholz referred to Huckabee as the "straight talk candidate," but that label more often is applied to Sen. John McCain, who has had his own troubles when it comes to his musical playlist. Last week, McCain's campaign agreed to stop playing John Mellencamp's songs "Our Country" and "Pink Houses" at his rallies after the liberal rocker complained.

Mellencamp had supported Democrat John Edwards, who recently dropped out of the race.

Other candidates have had better luck selecting songs. Celine Dion said she was "thrilled" that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton used her song, "You and I" as her official campaign anthem. Obama frequently blares U2's "City of Blinding Lights" at his events.

What does the title of this thread mean? Are you saying both Huck and Sholtz are stupid?

Why is Sholtz stupid? He has every right to tell Huck to screw off...

Ahahaha! He signed the letter with:

Still evolving,
Tom Sholz for BOSTON.

Classic.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
What does the title of this thread mean? Are you saying both Huck and Sholtz are stupid?

Why is Sholtz stupid? He has every right to tell Huck to screw off...

Boston is crap music, but maybe not to you.

dbs

wtf.gif

I saw the title of this thread, and thought it was going to be about Wolf Blitzer and Charles Barkley.

"More Than A Feeling" is one of those songs I've always secretly loved but felt like I shouldn't because I'm a bit of a music snob.

And good for Scholtz for telling Huckabee off. If I were a songwriter and Huckabee or any other politician I despised used one of my songs in an election campaign, I know I would be livid.

I thought Scholtz was the one member who killed himself recently, to be honest :(

Canadiens1160 said:
I thought Scholtz was the one member who killed himself recently, to be honest :(

First of all it's Scholz. At least Anitram got the spelling right.

Boston was a band that had a moment in the late 70s and after seeing them as a teenager up close, having seen, experiencied and compared contemporay bands like Led Zepplin and Queen up close- Boston was etremely weak. They were a joke.

I weaned my closet friends off this weak band with their formulatic music, simple lyrics and predictable guitar riffs, only musical simpletons still clung to their commercialized rubbish.
Fans of Boston drove American clunker cars while fans of the British bands drove European cars. Are you guys getting the picture?

Huckabee in the same right is a person with little substance, other than trying to evangicalize the Republican Party. He's playing crap music without the crap author's permission at his crap rallies and is quickly becoming as stupid looking as Ron Paul for staying in race. Other opponents have graciously bowed out, coalescing around the front runner for party unity. To do this you have to put yourself 2nd and the people of your party first.
I don't think Huckabee can do this, this is why he needs a slap.
He's a politcian first, a Republican 2nd. His ego in charge -which is sad.

Yes and Wolf and Charles need to have their heads konked together.

dbs

More Than a Feeling is AWESOME, and you all fail if you think otherwise. :tsk:

Plus, Smells Like Teen Spirit stole its riff from the chorus. :wink:

So, hold on, we're not talking about Terrell Owens and Drew Rosenhaus?

Damn it.

Scholz may have written a few schlocky tunes during his time, but he at least is responsible for the awesomeness that is More Than a Feeling. And he has enough functioning brain cells to realize that Huckabee is a total huckster. So, I don't think you can say they are equally stupid and equally deserve to be slapped.

Bono's shades said:
Scholz may have written a few schlocky tunes during his time, but he at least is responsible for the awesomeness that is More Than a Feeling. .

Ok, he's a one hit wonder.

Maybe for the most minisculeist (if that's a word) of reason Scholz doesn't get slapped as hard-but he still needs a slap to even think his music is relevant.

dbs

The debut album is one of the biggest albums in the history of rock, and it's quite good.

That said, they couldn't really come up with anything different after that.

As for whether Huckabee should be playing it or not, I could care less.

phanan said:
As for whether Huckabee should be playing it or not, I could care less.

Ahem...I don't really care about the subject enough to comment on it, but what I think you mean here is that you "couldn't care less." If you could care less, then this means that you do care—at least a little bit—which seems to be counter to the point you're trying to make.

:wink: Sorry, pet peeve of mine. *exhale*

One hit?

:eyebrow:

*The highest selling debut abum in US history
*ALbum reached number 3 on the charts - 11 Years later it was still at 101 on the charts.
* One top 10 and two other songs in the top 40

Second album One top 10 song, two top 40.

3rd aLBUM- #1 Song, Top 10 song, Top 20 Song.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom