Theresa Heinz Kerry Apprecition Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, I liked it when she told the Jamican children that they could go naked for a little while during the hurricane releif effort:up::wink:

diamond said:
yeah, I liked it when she told the Jamican children that they could go naked for a little while during the hurricane releif effort:up::wink:

HAHAHAHA she's so cool!!!! I'd be very interested to find out what kind of a first lady she'd be. I wonder if she could charm heads of state the way Jackie-O did.

That's right i've seen those pins at kerry rallies......i don't know why i didn't get one :huh: For awhile I thought I'd be her for halloween (seniors at my school are allowed to dress up) but no body would get it so I'm going to be a donkey :wink:

Here's what she wrote to me in a note, i get all warm and fuzzy whenever I read it:

"Laura, Thank you for believing - our country and world belong to your generation - and with your help we will leave it in good shape. Teresa Heinz Kerry"

What a wonderful woman!!!

uh oh more brilliance coming from Teresa-

'Real Job'? It Works for Laura Bush

By Hanna Rosin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, October 21, 2004; Page C01

Teresa Heinz Kerry, right, apologized after saying she didn't know if Laura Bush had ever had a "real job." (Jim Bourg -- Reuters)

"Well, you know, I don't know Laura Bush. But she seems to be calm, and she has a sparkle in her eye, which is good," Heinz Kerry said in a USA Today interview published Tuesday. "But I don't know that she's ever had a real job -- I mean, since she's been grown up."

A real job?

For one thing, no one says "real job" anymore. The correct term these days, and for the past 20 years, is "a job outside the home."

For another, everyone knows that Laura Bush was a librarian and a teacher. Just yesterday she talked about it again for the millionth time in one of those standard first lady events honoring great history teachers. Never mind that she hasn't taught in nearly 30 years and that she quit as soon as her future husband proposed.

Laura Bush will always be, in the public imagination, The Librarian. Even for Democrats, who like to fantasize that behind her smile lurks a curious, even progressive ally, their spy in the White House, reading with her Itty Bitty book light in bed late into the night.

Plus Heinz Kerry has to know that everyone loves Laura Bush: women, men, Democrats, children. Her approval rating is just about her husband's plus Dick Cheney's, the highest of anyone in the administration.

Within hours after the USA Today interview was highlighted on the Drudge Report yesterday, Heinz Kerry realized her mistake and apologized.

"I had forgotten that Mrs. Bush had worked as a school teacher and librarian," she wrote in a statement, "and there couldn't be a more important job than teaching our children. As someone who has been both a full-time mom and full-time in workforce, I know we all have valuable experiences that shape who we are. I appreciate and honor Mrs. Bush's service to the country as first lady, and am sincerely sorry I had not remembered her important work in the past."

But here Heinz Kerry just stepped into it deeper. Again, she was repeating that Laura Bush only had a job when she had a paying job, and not during all those years she was raising the twins, or supporting her husband, or being first lady, or all those other things one is not allowed to define as the opposite of job. And Bush adviser Karen Hughes, who famously left the White House to spend more time with her husband and son, picked up on that instantly.

"Well, I think it's very nice that she apologized, but in some ways the apology almost made the comment worse because she seems to have forgotten that being a mother is a real job," Hughes said on CNN. "Again, I think her comment threw an inappropriate wedge between women who choose to work at home and women who choose to work outside the home. I think most women -- and most men -- would be offended by that because most women want to be able to choose to do what's right for them, whether it's to stay with their families and work at home or to work outside the home pursuing a career."

Republicans have gotten sophisticated about feminism. Laura Bush does not stand up at "W Stands for Women" rallies and hand out her cookie recipes. She talks about how, in her husband's administration, "there are more women in senior positions than in any other presidential administration in history." She talks about how "across America, millions of women are raising families, working full time, going to college, starting their own businesses."

If you are in the audience in your business suit, she's speaking to you. If you're pushing the stroller, she's speaking to you. She's not Jackie O, and she's not Hillary. She's just a reflection of you.

So it's no surprise that yesterday she played the role of Melanie to Heinz Kerry's Scarlett.

"Mrs. Bush knows that some days are more difficult than others when your husband is running for president," said her spokesman Gordon Johndroe, "and she has a lot of empathy for her."

Last edited:
Teresa goes too far sometimes. That was uncalled for, and I hate to see women saying those types of things.

Being a Mother is a REAL JOB, the hardest one on earth, same goes for being a Father. So even if Laura never did anything other than that, I have the utmost respect for her.

Not that the election should be about this stuff anyway, but :down:

diamond said:
she's made more than a few blunders:wink:

True. I thought everyone knew that Laura Bush had worked as both a teacher and a librarian. I think this is an excellent background for a political wife, she knows what it's like to get out there, clock in and deal with all of the pressures and stresses of ordinary occupational life. That being said I also really like Teresa. She has unique experiences, as a young working emigrant and such, that are valuable to anyone no matter what they are doing, including public life. I'm glad we're not voting for First Lady, I wouldn't know who on earth to vote for. I like both Laura and Teresa very much.

Eh, the problem is that Theresa speaks her mind and sometimes she's like me -- speaks before thinking. At least she speaks. I rarely see anything about Laura going out and doing anything in the capacity of First Lady. Hell, I bought a "Just Say No" button in fourth grade when Nancy Reagan told me drugs were bad. What has Laura done as First Lady?

I like Theresa. so she says what's on her mind sometimes? At least she has a mind and is a strong woman that she doesn't feel threatened to hold her tongue.

Laura Bush, as First Lady, has adopted a more traditional approach for a political wife than has Heinz Kerry. It's their personalities, and not something they have a ton of control over, alot of choice. Laura is simply being herself, and so is Teresa. This is refreshing in a world of phoney scripted characters and I just wish citizens of all political persuasions could accept this.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Teresa goes too far sometimes. That was uncalled for, and I hate to see women saying those types of things.

Being a Mother is a REAL JOB, the hardest one on earth, same goes for being a Father. So even if Laura never did anything other than that, I have the utmost respect for her.

Not that the election should be about this stuff anyway, but :down:
capt.sge.soo86.161004172346.photo00.default-290x349.jpg

Gina,
I appreciate when you put your partianship aside and call a spade a spade.
Good on ya.

Diginity and class is something that cannot be bought. I think the First Lady has that all over Ms Heinz.

db9

Well I'm not into determining who has more dignity and/or class. I happen to assume they're both classy ladies w/ different approaches to life and manners of expressing themselves. I have always thought Laura is a lovely and classy lady.

"Laura Bush said Thursday that Teresa Heinz Kerry didn't need to apologize for saying she couldn't remember whether the first lady had ever had "a real job.

"She apologized but she didn't even really need to apologize," Mrs. Bush told reporters at a coffee shop before attending a rally for President Bush. "I know how tough it is and actually I know those trick questions."

U2democrat said:
Nice post, Mrs. Springsteen, i hadn't seen that. :up: kudos to laura bush.

Good for Laura. She knows everything there is to know about being a high profile political wife and then some and it shows. She's definitely qualified to be First Lady. I think Teresa is also, she's just different, and Laura understands that.

I give Laura credit for that. classy.

And why can't our First Ladies have spines? What would we have done without Elenore Roosevelt?

One can admit they regret what they said and apologize.

One can commit vehicular manslaughter and use one's family status to have it hushed up.

I almost included that in my post. i believe TK got/ used his status to evade justice.

I believe Laura got special treatment when she killed someone too.

Edwards is right we do have two Americas.

Back
Top Bottom