The War on Soda Begins...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Nicholas Kristof wrote of Bill O'Reilly (paraphrasing here): Using the word "war" is offensive in this context to anyone who has experienced war first hand. This is not a war. No on is going to be blown up, shot at, stabbed, lose their brother/sister in this government attempt to help our citizens health.

blueyedpoet said:
As Nicholas Kristof wrote of Bill O'Reilly (paraphrasing here): Using the word "war" is offensive in this context to anyone who has experienced war first hand. This is not a war. No on is going to be blown up, shot at, stabbed, lose their brother/sister in this government attempt to help our citizens health.

Thank you. I find the exploitation of this term "war on:" to be truly ignorant and offensive.

blueyedpoet said:
If people are going to take this stand that we have the right to kill ourselves, then fine argue that the government doesn't have to right to make you drive with a seat-belt too. Yet in both instances, tax dollars are used to either treat the person for obesity related diseases or to help clean a dead body off the street. I don't want my tax dollars paying for things that can be avoided.
You have effectively expressed the cost of liberties for government welfare.

I never had soda when I was in school, or vending machines. We had milk and juice. Of course one can argue about milk too, one can argue about pretty much everything. Obviously kids will drink it at home, at the mall, etc. But I see nothing wrong with schools trying to do their part.

I drink a Diet Pepsi (caffeine free, used to be caffeine) practically every day, I know I should stop. That's all though, when I'm out I usually have just water. Other than that I drink lower fat milk, water, and sometimes juice in the morning.

Soda can be very addictive, I have known many adults who become addicted to it. What about stuff like Red Bull? Kids drink that too. I'm always surprised when I see parents let their kids have Mountain Dew and the other highly caffeinated sodas, not to mention the sugar content.

Getting rid of soda is a decent start, but honestly I don't think soda is more of a problem than the crap that they serve at lunch. Even the juices (apple juice - kool aid) that kids drink are loaded with sugar, making them no better than drinking soda. At least in some juices the sugar is a natural one rather than high fructose corn syrup.

I would probably cringe if I saw the salt and fat content of the chicken nuggets, ravioli, etc. Addressing the solid food needs to occur. The salt can lead to high blood pressure and we all know what excessive fat can do.

Getting kids outside and active would be the best solution - it would be real preventative medicine. The focus needs to be on healthy living rather than taking away options from the kids. If you take something away from kids, they are more likely to want it and will have free access to it at home.

anitram said:
The hysteria surrounding aspartame (or more accurately, phenylalanine) and brain tumors is completely out of control.

Maybe if people actually went and read the studies done on rats and understood what they meant we could tone down.

Next time you eat 2 eggs, you've just consumed more phenylalanine than is present in a can of Diet Coke.

I'm going to tell my friend this, who, every time she sees me with a Diet Coke, tells me I'm embalming myself. :rolleyes:

When I was in high school, it was a huge deal with the pop machines were installed (Crystal Pepsi, anyone? :wink: ). Kids would have cans of Mountain Dew and Coke at their desks from 8am until 3pm. When I was a senior, they finally installed a juice and water machine, but guess what was still more popular? Yep, you guessed it.

soda is bad for kids. gives them a sugar rush, a caffeine high, and then they crash. we regulate all things regarding children, including that terrible media parents seem to love to blame for all social ills under the sun.

soda is bad for adults, too.

:shrug:

The problem is not the soda they drink at school, but the plopping of their fat little asses on the couch after school.

Until parents do more to get their pudgy little whelps out the fucking doors and away from their TVs and electronic gadgets, this what we can expect.

Can anyone here, over 30, look back on their childhood and say, gee, I wish I'd never guzzled Coke when I was young? That pizza in the cafeteria really did me in. Look at me now...

We must be resolute in our battle against soda............it may take months or even years but we must be steadfast in this fight.... there maybe losses along the way and great sacrifices but this must be accomplished until we all can stand up and say:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!!

*** cues up Start Spangled Banner***

sorry it's been a very long week

:reject:

Things go better with Coca Cola
Things go better with Coke

Anyone else remember that jingle? It's from the 60's, before the modern Nanny State.

Our school has some soda machines but they're not open during school hours, and we're not allowed to bring in soda (or any other drink). As a result, tons of kids sell Faygo (this really cheap soda brand) on the "black market" and get a huge profit :D

I think having soda machines in an elementary school is retarded, but by middle school - certainly by high school - kids should be able to make their own decisions. Besides, drinking soda actually helps you lose weight by being more active. I mean, when I drink Mountain Dew I start snowboarding and skateboarding and kiteboarding and surfboarding and jumping off cliffs and stuff...:wink:

AtomicBono said:
Our school has some soda machines but they're not open during school hours, and we're not allowed to bring in soda (or any other drink). As a result, tons of kids sell Faygo (this really cheap soda brand) on the "black market" and get a huge profit :D

I think having soda machines in an elementary school is retarded, but by middle school - certainly by high school - kids should be able to make their own decisions. Besides, drinking soda actually helps you lose weight by being more active. I mean, when I drink Mountain Dew I start snowboarding and skateboarding and kiteboarding and surfboarding and jumping off cliffs and stuff...:wink:

POP

Was one of their best :)
*using several tunes in upcoming worship services*

Back
Top Bottom