The War On Easter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
One of the weakest arguments I've seen. And I see this phrase all the time.

Have you seen these other religions in government buildings?

And Christian groups have sued on the basis of "separation of church and state" anytime they've seen other religions represented more than them (i.e., when state universities required reading and writing essays on the Koran following 9/11).

So they sure know how to use these laws they supposedly deny when it suits their narrow interests.

Melon

the iron horse said:
The U.S. Constitution declares freedom of religion

not freedom from religion.

That's not entirely true (freedom from religion)

We have freedom from state established religion
I have freedom from your religion and you of mine
The only real guarantee is that we both can worship as we please

In fact, that's one of the things that is said verbatim

no interpretations needed

and Thank God for it (I suppose that might be slightly ironic :wink:)

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Have you seen these other religions in government buildings?

Yes, all the time.

For example, government seals include symbols from various religions. The Seal for the City of Los Angeles contains the Godess Pomona.

U2DMfan said:

That's not entirely true (freedom from religion)

We have freedom from state established religion
I have freedom from your religion and you of mine
The only real guarantee is that we both can worship as we please

In fact, that's one of the things that is said verbatim

no interpretations needed

and Thank God for it (I suppose that might be slightly ironic :wink:)

Actually, it is true. You have no right to be "free from" other religions - what ever that really means.

The Constitution sets two clear principles:

1. No establishment of a state run church.

2. No interference with the free exercise of religion.

There is nothing that says we can be free from someone elses religion.

nbcrusader said:

Yes, all the time.

For example, government seals include symbols from various religions. The Seal for the City of Los Angeles contains the Godess Pomona.

And do people in the great city of LA swear on her holy scriptures before secular legal proceedings? There is quite a difference of degree here that you're glossing over, Doug.

(Although given my impressions of LA, perhaps the do swear of the bible of the Goddess Pomona. :wink: )

Sherry Darling said:
And do people in the great city of LA swear on her holy scriptures before secular legal proceedings? There is quite a difference of degree here that you're glossing over, Doug.

(Although given my impressions of LA, perhaps the do swear of the bible of the Goddess Pomona. :wink: )

Please point out the material degree of difference for sake of discussion - the degree that is a clear violation of the Constitution.

Current secular legal proceedings do not use a Bible. Well, maybe on television.

mary_jesus.jpg

Don't go to church on Sunday
Don't get on my knees to pray
Don't memorize the books of the Bible
I got my own special way
Bit I know Jesus loves me
Maybe just a little bit more

I fall on my knees every Sunday
At Zerelda Lee's candy store

Well it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
Make me feel good inside
Got to be a chocolate Jesus
Keep me satisfied

Well I don't want no Anna Zabba
Don't want no Almond Joy
There ain't nothing better
Suitable for this boy
Well it's the only thing
That can pick me up
Better than a cup of gold
See only a chocolate Jesus
Can satisfy my soul

(Solo)
When the weather gets rough
And it's whiskey in the shade
It's best to wrap your savior
Up in cellophane
He flows like the big muddy
But that's ok
Pour him over ice cream
For a nice parfait

Good enough for me
Good enough for me

Make me feel good inside
Keep me satisfied

Hell yeah, Mule Variations is one of my favorite albums.

Besides, what good is a s'more without chocolate? :wink:

I bought "Foreign Affairs" when it came out in the 70s.

Then Small Change
and everything else.

I had the chance to catch many live shows
in clubs and small theaters.

They were "other worldly" experiences at times.

deep said:
I had the chance to catch many live shows
in clubs and small theaters.
Lucky you. I never did get a chance to see him perform.

Rain Dogs, I think, was the first album of his I bought. Actually it might have been the first album I ever bought, period.
VertigoGal said:
that's a graham cracker. :sad:

apparently the matzah has been very well hidden in my beloved dwelling this year...cos i certainly can't find any around. :uhoh:
:wink: I know it's a graham cracker, but there are only so many photos of Peeps s'mores to be found online! (I did discover a whole world of truly sick and bizarre things people do to and with Peeps in the kitchen while searching for it, though...some particularly amazing photos of what happens to them in the microwave.) Anyways, Peeps aren't kosher on account of the gelatin, so I've never actually had one. Which I gather is no great loss.

We always splurge on those hand-baked round matzah for Passover. :drool: They are pretty pricey though, especially when you're having 26 Seder guests like we will tomorrow night. :crazy:

We just did Bedikat Chametz with our kids tonight, have you ever done that? That's where you hide 10 pieces of bread around the house, turn out the lights, then the kids go around with candles hunting for them. Kind of like the Jewish equivalent of an Easter egg hunt, I guess. Our sons were really sweet, they both simply pretended not to see the really easy ones, then took their three-year-old sister's hands and helped to her find them. It's nice when they get old enough to not just think competitively about it like that.

Peeps are best if you let them get a little stale. Better texture.
I'm a peep connoisseur.

Calling it "Bunnies and flowers" is a copout, it symbolizes a holiday, but I still think it is ridiculous to take it down, it isn't a bad thing to celebrate life.

yolland said:
We just did Bedikat Chametz with our kids tonight, have you ever done that? That's where you hide 10 pieces of bread around the house, turn out the lights, then the kids go around with candles hunting for them. Kind of like the Jewish equivalent of an Easter egg hunt, I guess. Our sons were really sweet, they both simply pretended not to see the really easy ones, then took their three-year-old sister's hands and helped to her find them. It's nice when they get old enough to not just think competitively about it like that.

you mean like the afikomen thing? or is it different? because we did the afikomen thing at my grandparents' house one year when I was young. I remember I was really competitive and was so proud when I found it first...and then my grandpa turned around and gave all his grandkids a dollar, even though I found it. man, I was pissed off. :angry: ;)

irvine...I kind of like Peeps. they're delicious in a gross sort of way. :drool:

No, the afikoman thing is different, that takes place the next day during Seder, when the kids "steal" the afikoman (piece of matzah) and hide it. Then immediately before the closing prayers and songs, the adults search for the afikoman (and dutifully fail to find it), at which point the kids "ransom" the afikoman by bargaining for something in return. Sounds like maybe your grandparents sort of blended the two? Obviously there are some intentional parallels between them. But Bedikat Chametz is the culmination of the clearing-the-house-of-leaven (hence the use of bread) that precedes Passover, whereas the afikoman ritual involves matzah and is part of the Seder.

Anyhow speaking of Seder, time for me to get offline and scamper back, as we'll be starting soon and I'm supposedly "just checking on a few important emails" right now. :shh:

Last edited:
naplesnews.com

By Tom Hanson

Monday, April 17, 2006

The Easter Bunny is arrested for attacking a woman.

This actually happened.

This isn't a joke.

Saturday night at the Edison Mall, a 6-foot tall 280 pound Easter Bunny and his assistant were arrested by Fort Myers Police for an altercation. For the Johansson family, it's a holiday memory they'll never forget - even though they would like to.

"It was something like you would see in a movie," Robert Johansson said. "The next thing you know my wife is sucker punched by the manager, she is pulled to the ground by her hair and then the Easter Bunny jumps on top and starts punching my wife in the head."

Arthur McLure, 22, and Crystal Frechette, 25 were charged by the Forth Myers Police with battery and disturbing the peace.

McLure listed his occupation as the Easter Bunny.

Johansson said the incident started because the Easter Bunny decided to close shop 15 minutes early on Saturday night with a line of children and families still waiting. Robert Johansson said his wife, Erin, approached the manager to complain when she was knocked to the ground.

The Edison Mall released this statement concerning the matter: "We have been pleased over the years to make a visit with the Easter Bunny part of the springtime experience at Edison Mall. We were shocked and dismayed at the events of Saturday evening at the Easter photo set, and it is particularly disconcerting that families with young children witnessed the highly unfortunate incident. We have been in contact with the company that operates the Easter photo business at our mall and will continue to cooperate fully with the Fort Myers Police Department as they move forward with their investigation."

Robert Johansson said his wife is still extremely sore from the incident.

Back
Top Bottom