The Voice of God

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're trying to "pull a Disraeli"--win by ripping off your opponent's agenda. That's how Disraeli beat Gladstone, by taking up the cause of electoral reform. Good luck..........

Maybe he was just being sarcastic, trying to mock Bush?

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm just thinking it's a possibility. We'd have to see a transcript, there's no context given in that article.

Or maybe he does actually think that way :eyebrow: :huh:

hehe when i was 13 i was the voice of god for a skit for my brother in law's class at seminary. imagine, a 13 year old girl as the voice of god! :lol:

but claiming that god takes sides is ridiculous. :huh:

I'm sure God would prefer us to have a Godly leader. But I wouldn't call this the most Godly country any more so we'll see.

shart1780 said:
I'm sure God would prefer us to have a Godly leader. But I wouldn't call this the most Godly country any more so we'll see.

I certainly hope not. Then again, perhaps you'd be extremely surprised by what God wants. I think many people who "quote" God are probably in for a very rude awakening when they kick the bucket. :wink:

While I don't agree with Tom Harkin's comments IF he meant them seriously (I happen to agree with Mrs Springsteen that this was probably a tongue in cheek comment), I don't really see the difference between the Democrats invoking "God's Blessing: any worse than the dribble that we've been hearing from the neoconservative wing of the Republican party that wears God on their shoulders every time they want to justify a foreign policy decision. :ohmy:

Neither side should speak for God, but it has been the conservative side with its Bible thumpers who have most often sullied God's name by dragging Him/Her into every ridiculous political and/ or moral position they hold!:tsk:

Definitely time for regime change....:up:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Just like anyone who claims W is God's doing, they're all:coocoo:

I can't tell you how many times I have heard this.

W has even said he believes God wanted him to be President.

This is the ultimate "Taking of the Lord's name in vain."

The neocons are hardly what I would call devout evangelicals - in fact a lot of them, as we are reminded to no end, are Jews.

I agree, assuming that God takes sides in elections is just plain ridiculous. You *could* say that God gave us the right to choose our leaders, but that's it.

*sigh*

I just bet God can't wait until this election is over.

(And how come folks only care what he thinks every four years?)

SD

The God thing is the ultimate heresy in my opinion, whether you're a believer or not.

Don't ever confuse God's will with human actions. God doesn't decide elections, people do. It's not funny.

God's will permits the greatest evil, for reference I invoke The Crusades, Jihad, The Inquisition and Sharia Law.

I agree, God has certainly not kept people from committing horrible crimes and atrocities. He didn't stop the Crusaders from sacking Constantinople in 1204. A bunch of drunken :censored:holes decided to do it. He didn't stop Hitler from coming to power in Germany. And Sherry, you're no doubt right, God is awfully tired of all of this stuff. :wink:

this is from Sojourner's God is Not a Republican or a Democrat campaign. Since I never post here, I can't post a link but you can find more info at sojo.net

These leaders of the Religious Right mistakenly claim that God has taken a side in this election, and that Christians should only vote for George W. Bush.

We believe that claims of divine appointment for the President, uncritical affirmation of his policies, and assertions that all Christians must vote for his re-election constitute bad theology and dangerous religion.

We believe that sincere Christians and other people of faith can choose to vote for President Bush or Senator Kerry - for reasons deeply rooted in their faith.

We believe all candidates should be examined by measuring their policies against the complete range of Christian ethics and values.

We will measure the candidates by whether they enhance human life, human dignity, and human rights; whether they strengthen family life and protect children; whether they promote racial reconciliation and support gender equality; whether they serve peace and social justice; and whether they advance the common good rather than only individual, national, and special interests.

We are not single-issue voters.

We believe that poverty - caring for the poor and vulnerable - is a religious issue. Do the candidates' budget and tax policies reward the rich or show compassion for poor families? Do their foreign policies include fair trade and debt cancellation for the poorest countries? (Matthew 25:35-40, Isaiah 10:1-2)

We believe that the environment - caring for God's earth - is a religious issue. Do the candidates' policies protect the creation or serve corporate interests that damage it? (Genesis 2:15, Psalm 24:1)

We believe that war - and our call to be peacemakers - is a religious issue. Do the candidates' policies pursue "wars of choice" or respect international law and cooperation in responding to real global threats? (Matthew 5:9)

We believe that truth-telling is a religious issue. Do the candidates tell the truth in justifying war and in other foreign and domestic policies? (John 8:32)

We believe that human rights - respecting the image of God in every person - is a religious issue. How do the candidates propose to change the attitudes and policies that led to the abuse and torture of Iraqi prisoners? (Genesis 1:27)

We believe that our response to terrorism is a religious issue. Do the candidates adopt the dangerous language of righteous empire in the war on terrorism and confuse the roles of God, church, and nation? Do the candidates see evil only in our enemies but never in our own policies? (Matthew 6:33, Proverbs 8:12-13 )

We believe that a consistent ethic of human life is a religious issue. Do the candidates' positions on abortion, capital punishment, euthanasia, weapons of mass destruction, HIV/AIDS-and other pandemics-and genocide around the world obey the biblical injunction to choose life? (Deuteronomy 30:19)

We also admonish both parties and candidates to avoid the exploitation of religion or our congregations for partisan political purposes.

By signing this statement, we call Christians and other people of faith to a more thoughtful involvement in this election, rather than claiming God's endorsement of any candidate.

This is the meaning of responsible Christian citizenship.

A_Wanderer said:
God's will permits the greatest evil, for reference I invoke The Crusades, Jihad, The Inquisition and Sharia Law.

I will add to your list the holocaust,
slavery enshrined in governments and laws,
genocide of native peoples often times under color of religion.

Back
Top Bottom