The US: not really liked by the rest of the world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Lemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie
At least according to
this from Yahoo news. I thought it was pretty interesting because I have a good friend who's studying in France this year, and she's told me that whenever she tells people she's American they go on a huge rant about how much they hate American foreign policy.

U.S. Culture Still Has Fans
By SONYA ROSS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - In the eyes of much of the world, this is America: an inconsiderate lone wolf that has really good entertainment but really bad values, that wants war with Iraq just to get oil but still should remain as the only superpower on Earth.

In a broad international survey released Wednesday, the Pew Global Attitudes Project found that the United States is falling out of favor in 19 of 27 countries where a trend could be identified.

The dislike was especially striking in Muslim countries. Seventy-five percent of those surveyed in Jordan had an unfavorable opinion of America, as did 69 percent of Egyptians and Pakistanis and 59 percent of Lebanese. In Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Senegal, Turkey and Lebanon, the vast majority said they oppose the U.S.-led war on terrorism.

But ill will toward the United States was also found in supposedly friendly nations like Canada, Britain and Germany.

"The biggest headline is the slipping image of the United States, not simply that we're not liked in the Muslim world," said Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew Research Center. "But there is still a great reserve of good will toward the United States."

The surveys in 44 countries were conducted by established survey organizations in each country between July and October, with polls done by phone in eight of the most developed countries and face-to-face in the others. The error margins ranged from plus or minus 2 percentage points to 4.5 points, depending on the sample size.

A generally favorable view of America is held in 35 of the 42 countries that took part in the survey. Among Russians, U.S. popularity has surged 24 points, from 37 percent two years ago to 61 percent today. Similarly, 77 percent of Nigerians and 85 percent of Uzbeks had pro-U.S. views, up 31 percent and 29 percent respectively.

The most common criticisms of the United States are that it acts by itself, it pushes policies that widen the gap between rich and poor nations, and it doesn't do enough to solve the world's problems.

Americans don't necessarily agree.

Seventy-five percent of Americans polled said U.S. foreign policy is considerate of others. But next door, only 25 percent of Canadians said America is a considerate world citizen. Perhaps surprisingly, U.S. foreign policy was deemed considerate by 53 percent of respondents in Germany, a harsh critic of President Bush (news - web sites)'s position on Iraq.

World citizens admire American technology and culture, but not the spread of U.S. ideas and customs; 54 percent of Canadians, 67 percent of Germans, 71 percent of the French and 84 percent of Egyptians said it would be bad to spread American ideas and customs.

But Canadians ? 77 percent of them ? also said they like American music, movies and TV. It was much the same for Venezuela (78 percent), Poland (70 percent), Japan (74 percent), Ivory Coast (84 percent) and Great Britain (76 percent).

U.S. officials have tried to do something about America's image problem abroad. The White House established an office of "global communications" to provide in-depth explanations of President Bush's foreign policy.

Madeleine Albright (news - web sites), secretary of state during the Clinton administration and chair of the Pew survey, said the fact that the United States is the world's only superpower may have led to the results.

"In many ways, we are viewed as the rich guy living on the hill," Albright said. "We have seen this coming since the end of the Cold War."

Most of the people surveyed said they don't want the world to again have more than one superpower. Even in Russia, 53 percent said they believe the world is safer with just one.

In Germany, the percentage of people who hold a favorable view of the United States fell 17 points over two years. In 1999/2000, 78 percent of Germans considered the United States favorably, this year 61 percent.

In Turkey, which is being actively courted for help in a possible war with Iraq, pro-U.S. views dropped from 52 percent to 30 percent.

Sentiments were similar in Argentina, where 34 percent saw the United States in a good light, compared to 50 percent two years ago. In Indonesia and the Slovak Republic, favorable ratings fell 14 points.

Large percentages of Muslim respondents in several countries said they believe suicide bomb attacks are a justifiable defense of Islam. This was especially so in Lebanon, where 73 percent supported this belief.

Also, 21 countries rated the news media as a good influence, while the military was seen as a good influence in 15 countries. Five gave the top rating in influence to religious leaders. Only one, Ivory Coast, said the national government is the top influence.

In six countries ? Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Turkey and the United States ? the majority said Iraq poses a great or moderate threat to the world, and Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) must go.

Only 22 percent of Americans said oil is the United States' real motive for pursuing war with Iraq, but 44 percent of the British, 75 percent of the French, 54 percent of Germans and 76 percent of Russians held that view.

When it comes to conditions at home, Uzbeks and the Vietnamese were the happiest of all. Sixty-nine percent said they are satisfied with the state of their countries. In Peru and Argentina, only 3 percent of respondents said they are pleased with the way things are at home.

i hope they didnt spend too much money conducting that poll. i could have told them that myself.

but you know, america is always right about everything.

i found the part about foreign policy hilarious. most people think american foreign policy stinks, but 75% of americans themselves think its ok. funny that. do these americans live in foreign countries? ofcourse not.

*shakes head

the more i read and hear about the us, the more angry i get inside. it frightens me, actually.

Interesting to note that many of the countries with an unfavorable view of the USA also said that suicide bombing of innocent civilians is a justifiable defense of Islam. hmmmm real smart those people must be.

Most Germans, 53%, have a positive view of US foreign Policy! Looks like German citizens may understand a thing or two about foreign policy after all, unlike are friends to the North.

STING2 said:
Interesting to note that many of the countries with an unfavorable view of the USA also said that suicide bombing of innocent civilians is a justifiable defense of Islam. hmmmm real smart those people must be.

The individuals who said this have every right, just as Americans do in wanting to kill thousands of Iraqi civilians in the name of justice. It goes both ways.

I gathered from the article that most foriegners disapprove of our government and enjoy our people. This is my opinion as well, and doesn't it feel good to be a part of the majority! ahhhhhhhhh:wave:

I read most of this report yesterday. There is somrthing to be learned here.

protester.jpg

A Pakistani demonstrator poses as death, shrouded in a U.S. flag, to protest against U.S. support of Israel.
Provided by: Reuters ? 2002

The Pew Global Attitudes survey interviewed more than 38,000 people in 44 nations.

The questionnaire was translated into 63 languages and dialects. Most interviews were conducted face-to-face in the respondent?s home.

Opinions about the U.S., however, are complicated and contradictory. People around the world embrace things American and, at the same time, decry U.S. influence on their societies. Similarly, pluralities in most of the nations surveyed complain about American uni-lateralism. But the war on terrorism, the centerpiece of current U.S. foreign policy, continues to enjoy global support outside the Muslim world.
165-1.gif
165-2.gif
165-4.gif

The above are excerpts from the study. The report is available ---> HERE

Large percentages of Muslim respondents in several countries said they believe suicide bomb attacks are a justifiable defense of Islam. This was especially so in Lebanon, where 73 percent supported this belief.

Read abit closer SINTG2. Large perscentages in SEVERAL countries.

Oh and i bet you'd have a fovorable view about us.

Giant Lemon said:
she's told me that whenever she tells people she's American they go on a huge rant about how much they hate American foreign policy.

I bet they loved it (our foreign policy) when they could not properly defend there own country and we had to do for them what they could not do for themselves. :rolleyes:

Edited for grammer

Re: Re: The US: not really liked by the rest of the world

Spiral_Staircase said:

LOL. Oops- now I feel dumb. :eek: But even the countries that have a generally favorable view have some bones to pick with the US (or their opinion has dropped)- that's what I was referring to with my subject.

Zoomerang96 said:

but you know, america is always right about everything.

i found the part about foreign policy hilarious. most people think american foreign policy stinks, but 75% of americans themselves think its ok. funny that. do these americans live in foreign countries? ofcourse not.

*shakes head

the more i read and hear about the us, the more angry i get inside. it frightens me, actually.

I feel the same way. I'm so pissed off at the nearsightedness of our government that I can't stand it. Our neighbors to the north haven't looked so good since the Veitnam war.

I must be stupid, but doesn't it seem that Bush is itching for war so bad that nothing the UN or the Inspectors do will be right. This will of course increase our standing in the world community.

I was so glad to hear The Edge speak out against unilateral violence on the part of the US (Hot Press). I'm sure Bono would also like to, but can't piss off Washington when he's trying to get money out of them. I seriously doubt he really thinks "Bush seems to have a feel for the crisis in Africa". My ass Bush has a feel for anything that advances Corporate America's profits period.

edited cause I have children that always seem to need homework help right when I'm typing.

Last edited:
Danospano,

Americans do not desire to see Iraqi civilians die. Americans want Iraq to be disarmed and 16 UN resolutions its in violation of complied with.

Bonoman,

Sorry but whats your point? What are correcting me on?

Scarletwine,

The United Nations has already approved 15-0 Bushes resolution on Iraq. Any move against Iraq will be as apart of a Coalition. But the USA would certainly not stop to defend itself and others just because it was alone in doing what was required to insure international security.

By the way, freeing up more oil from Iraq would actually hurt oil companies as the price of oil would go down from more supply. But Iraq is already selling a lot of its oil on the market through the UN approved program for humanitarian assistance. Again, this is about weapons of mass destruction and the concluding the 1991 Gulf War and the 16 resolutions Iraq is in violation of from the aftermath of that war.

STING2 said:

By the way, freeing up more oil from Iraq would actually hurt oil companies as the price of oil would go down from more supply.

The only oil companies it would hurt are those that aren't busily pumping oil out of the newly "liberated" Iraq. Freeing up the oil in Iraq gives American oil companies a chance to tap into the second largest oil reserve in the world. Do you think someone who received millions of dollars in campaign donations from (and spent many years involved in) oil companies would choose now to make a move that would hurt the oil and gas industry? And then consider other members of the Bush team. Dick Cheney was the CEO for Halliburton Incorporated, the world's largest oil field services company. Condoleeza Rice was on Chevron's board of directors. Chevron even named an oil tanker after her. Do you think Cheney and Rice would now turn their backs on Big Oil? Not likely. While this conflict may include concerns about weapons of mass destruction and violated UN resolutions, to deny that it has anything to do with oil interests is simply naive.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
ThatGuy,

Sorry to burst your conspiracy bubble but here is some facts about supply and demand. The price of oil or for that matter the price you pay to fill up your car at the pump is directly effected by the amount of supply of oil that is available worldwide. Oil companies would make a great deal more money if the supply of oil was limited or cut off in many cases from various parts of the world. When supply goes down, demand for the remaining supply jumps which causes a massive price increase. Foreign oil in the USA keeps the price of oil and the price you pay to fill up your car down! When the price of oil goes down, Oil companies in general make less money. I know, my uncle worked for Mobile Oil for decades. Any war in Iraq will only eventually lead to more oil being available on the market. As you said, Iraq has the second largest oil reserves in the world. Making sure this oil gets dumped on the market will drive the price of oil and the price people like you and me pay for energy DOWN. Price falls in response to an increase in supply.

Is this in the profit interest of oil companies, NO. Is it in the interest of the US economy, global economy, and individuals like me and you that have heating and gas bills to pay, YES! Is the reason were so concerned in the region to begin with because of Oil, YES! Its because we want Oil and energy to be Cheap. We want Cheap Oil! I'm interested in Cheap Oil just like every other consumer. When consumers spend less on energy, they spend more money on goods and benefits that boost the economy. Are Oil companies interested in cheap Oil, NO. They want to either have high Oil prices or at the very least have and Oil price thats at the market equilibrium and not below it. Its nice though from time to time when price is below the market equilibrium to give the economy that extra push.

anyone else find an uncanny resemblance between sting2 and achtung bubba?

...and al gore?

Zoomerang96,

Oh and whats the resemblance? Is it because I have a different view point? Is it because you do not like my view point?

I'm from Spain and here, and probably in the rest of Europe, we have a MAJOR problem with US. The problem is GEORGE BUSH. We usually identificate the republican policy with War, proteccionist foreing policy or whatever. In other words, with Bill Clinton the "problems" with US policy was lower.

Vox!!

alright gather around u little bitches..

ok.
Ive had it.
Listen up,little bitches here's the deal -ya :sexywink:

Forget about the polls.
Leadership has nothing to do w polls.:down:
Leadership has to do w courage and moral conviction.:yes:

I suppose if we had snap-shot polls thru out history..-

-polls woulda called Winston Churchill a bafoon at the time he uttered the historical phrase-"NEVER NEVER GIVE UP".and went on to win the battle.
-If you think so much of polls, most ppl favor Pop music over U2 music:huh:-whats up w that?:huh:

Cowards worship polls.
Leaders w conviction disregard them.

If courage is too expensive for you..I offer no apologies.

Diamond

Peace.

Vox02 said:
The problem is GEORGE BUSH. We usually identificate the republican policy with War

YET.....

A Democrat was in office when the US entered World War I

A Democrat was in office when the US entered World War II

A Democrat was in office when the US entered the Korean Conflict

A Democrat was in office when US involvement in Vietnam escalated from "advisor" to active combatant.

Not to mention, it was a Democrat who gave birth to that "global friendship consortium" known as the CIA.

with Bill Clinton the "problems" with US policy was lower.

It could be argued that Clinton's failure to make Iraq comply with UN resolutions, coupled with his refusal to take bin Laden when the opportunity presented itself has led us to the problems that face the Bush administration.

STING2 said:
Are Oil companies interested in cheap Oil, NO. They want to either have high Oil prices or at the very least have and Oil price thats at the market equilibrium and not below it.

So, given this, what oil company in their right mind would rush to pump out all of Iraq's oil? None. Why would they engage in practices that would undermine their own bottom line? I'm not suggesting that American companies would increase Iraqi oil production after they had access to the resources. More than likely they would just keep the supply relatively steady. As you said yourself, Iraq is pumping and selling a fair amount of oil already.
STING2 said:
Iraq is already selling a lot of its oil on the market through the UN approved program for humanitarian assistance.
So American oil companies wouldn't need to pump out more oil. If they keep the supply steady they can keep market levels where they are now make a nice profit. Is this not a feasible hypothetical situation?

It's easy to say my ideas are just wild conspiracy theories. You never did answer my question, though. Do you think with all of their ties to Big Oil that the members of the Bush Administration that I mentioned would do anything to harm the American oil and gas industry? If so, why? They certainly haven't done so in their domestic policy.

Danospano said:

The individuals who said this have every right, just as Americans do in wanting to kill thousands of Iraqi civilians in the name of justice. It goes both ways.

It is sooooooo easy to make statements like this. I have yet to talk to a single person who believes it is good to kill thousands of Iraqi citizens. Do you have a poll to back this (ADJECTIVE DELETED) statement.

Please show me any statement by President Bush or his government that come close to characterizing the governement as wanting to kill thousands of civilians.

Six months ago on this board people were whining that the governement was not acting through the United Nations. Surprise surprise.......GW has acted through the UN.

Now they are whining because the inspectors quite possibly might find violations and lead to war.

Peace

U2Bama said:

Oh, get over it deathbeer. Go write some radiohead threads or something. Weirdo.

Bama baby!!!!!

I love you! In a hetero kinda way!!!!!

Not that there is anything wrong with that!!!!

Peace Brother!

Clark W. Griswold said:
It could be argued that Clinton's failure to make Iraq comply with UN resolutions, coupled with his refusal to take bin Laden when the opportunity presented itself has led us to the problems that face the Bush administration.

One of the most true statements made ever!!!!!!

PEACE

dreadsox, you sound like a little boy thats about to get 10 dollars from his grandfather.

i am constantly amused that only americans are defending american policy here, at this forum.

how many of you can locate where winnipeg, manitoba is? do you know the capitol of canada? do you know the capitol of china?

its no secret at all that the american general public has no idea of what goes on outside their own home. living 5 miles away from the us border, i see it all the time. attending an american university, i heard it all the time.

"its really cold up there, EH?" ya, its two hours north of here, its way colder there.... :rolleyes:

naturally theyre right though, cause of their wonderful democratic TWO PARTY system which is for pure comical relief.

two :up: 's up for a system that cant even count its own ballots AND elects a cowboy with oil ties who didnt even get the most votes! thats democracy! way to go!

this elitist attitude your country holds while it shits on everyone else will only get you into further trouble. you cannot shoot your way out of everything.

"if your not with us, your against us" - dubya

trust me george, there are a LOT of us that are against you.

cloudimani said:
the fact that US doesnt see why its not liked kind of epitomises what we're talking about...

precisely. its like communicating with a wall. and not some super-computerized wall that communicates. oh no...definately not. just an ordinary wall. yup.

STING2 said:

Most Germans, 53%, have a positive view of US foreign Policy! Looks like German citizens may understand a thing or two about foreign policy after all, unlike are friends to the North.

You say that many of the countries with an unfavorable view support sucide bombing when in actuality you can only find one other country that doesnt support sucide boming that like americans. What about the other countries they dont like you. It says in the report that several countries that support sucide bombing dont like you. And remember not any of these countries, with the execption of Iraq and maybe Palestine, support bombing. Face the facts Sting the world doesnt like your country. Please answer this: What would ever convince you that the world doesnt like your country?

Or when the whole world says they dont like your country would you pick out one person that likes america and use them as the bases for your claim?

Americans are very, very selfish. Most of the people I know don't give a goddamn about anyone outside of American borders. People need to wake up and realize that in this high tech world, any decision taken by the U.S. is going to affect the entire planet. While it is a good thing to improve our country, we have to take into consideration the effect on the rest of the world, and this selfishness is why other countries don't like us.

Personally I think the american oil companies DO want free access to Iraqi oil, because if we have an abundance of fuel there will be much less pressure to develop alternate energy sources, which would probably be the death of the oil business.

ThatGuy,

American consumers already have access to some Iraqi Oil. Not as much as they did though before 1990. American Oil Companies may eventually try to get into the market of Iraqi Oil but there is no real need to plus there will be competition from Iraq's own companies and foreign companies as well. In addition, its a mistake to assume that there is simply one Oil Company in America. There are multiple oil companies that have stiff competition with each other. I do not know exactly what American companies will do if Iraq is liberated from Saddam Hussian but things will most likely resemble the situation back in the 1980s. Some American companies will attempt to do business in the area just as they have done in the past and just like every foreign oil company on the planet will do.

But are concern with middle east oil is not to give US oil Companies a new place to drill or buy up foreign companies, but to make sure that there is foreign supply and foreign competition against US companies to keep the Global price of oil down! Bush is more concerned about a low oil price especially at this time because of the economic health of the country. Higher oil prices over the long run will insure further economic problems for the country and prevent George Bush from being re-elected.

One of the best ways for Bush to get re-elected is to bring the price of oil down. Energy consumes a significant amount of the average Americans budget and in these muddled economic times, a below market equilibrium price for Oil could fire up the economy. But these changes take time.

One of the USA's most important National Security objective over the last 60 years has been to make sure that Persian Gulf oil supply was secure. Doing so has been a delicate process because of the middle east turbulant history.

In 1979/1980, Jimmy Carter warned the Soviet Union after its invasion of Afghanistan that any Soviet move towards the Persian Gulf would initiate an immediate US response which "could" include the use of Nuclear Weapons. My point is that the USA has for decades had a very strong defense policy in regards to Persian Gulf and Middle East Oil since it makes up 75% of the worlds known reserves of Oil. Middle East Oil effects everyone on the planet period. The point I'm making with this is that the Bush administration is simply carrying out policies in the middle east that we have had for decades, regardless of the President being Democrat or Republican. US foreign policy in the middle east is not designed to make US oil companies richer, its designed to help insure foreign competition and foreign supply of oil on the global market, so that consumers won't have to pay a high cost for their energy which could cause severe damage for the economy.

To more specifically answer your questions, no oil company is going to rush into Iraq wants we liberate it unless they feel they can profit from such a move. Saddam Hussian has been occasionally restricting oil supplies because he can only sell it through the United Nations for Humanitarian supplies. While Iraq has the worlds second largest reserves of Oil, the amount of Iraqi Oil on the global market is a smaller fraction of the total than it was in 1990. A liberated Iraq will probably be resume the same pumping capacity that it had before 1990 as a percentage of the global total. This extra supply will of course drop the price of oil worldwide which is not really in the interest of the oil companies. It certainly would not make since for them to move operations into Iraq to pump more of this oil. Setting up new plant and highering new workers is expensive. There really is no economic incentive for American companies to rush in and set up in Iraq. Some in the Oil Industry are clearly dreading in an economic sense, Bush's move into Iraq, because clearly Iraqi Oil will become a stronger player on the market, driving the price of oil down. Market levels never remain completely steady and a sudden move into Iraq by American Oil companies would be expensive and is not really in their profit interest.

Middle East Policy and more particular Persian Gulf Policy is about ensuring the safety of the supply of oil that is there. That supply keeps oil prices down. The motivivation for being involved in the region is the economic health of the United States and the planet, not a few Oil Companies that supported the Bush Administration. Those US Oil Companies don't benefit from foreign competition and Foreign Supply.

Bush enjoys the money he recieves from the Oil Companies but the Oil Companies cannot win re-election for him. Only the consumer who puts gas in his car and heats his home every winter can do that. Consumers bottom line is most influenced by how much they have to pay for energy. The more they pay for energy, the less they spend on things in the American economy. When that happens, unemployment goes up, businesses close down, and people start to struggle and get angery. Once that happens for any reason, come election time, the President gets dumped. George Bush does not want that. Bush wants a healthy economy and one way to do that is insure peace and stability in the middle east and get more of that Iraqi Oil on the market. Once the average American consumer is happy then Bush can try to do something for his Oil Buddies.

Domestically things may be a different situation. But when it comes to foreign policy, its about aiding the US consumer and the US and global economy, not aiding the Oil and Gas business.

Bonoman,

I still don't understand what your saying here:

"It says in the report that several countries that support sucide bombing dont like you. And remember not any of these countries, with the execption of Iraq and maybe Palestine, support bombing."

I know several countries in the report that don't like us also support suicide bombing. The second sentence there contradicts your first sentence.

The whole world has not said they hate America. The poll shows that the majority still has a favorable(50% or more) opinion of America. The number of Russians that have a favorable opinion of America has more than doubled in only the past two years.

You've not shown any facts to support your view that more than 50% of the worlds population hates America. But hey, continue to believe and speculate all you want.

Back
Top Bottom