The US House Of Representative's votes to support Bush's resolution on Iraq!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The US House Of Representatives has voted 296 to 133 to support the Presidents resolution in regards to military action against Iraq. Of the 296 that voted for the resolution, 215 were Republicans and 81 were Democrats. Of the 133 that voted against, 126 were Democrat, 6 were Republican and 1 was an independent.

I must confess I am SHOCKED.

This is not what I would call a partisan vote on the for it side.

I really thought this vote would go along party lines.

Did Daschell change his tune?

Dread,

It was the House. Senate has not voted, yet. I think Tom Daschle has said he expects to support it in the end.

A majority of Democrats voted against the resolution even though their House leader, Dick Gephardt, was one of its authors.

Despite efforts by party leaders to defuse Iraq as a political issue four weeks before the election, 126 of the House's 208 Democrats voted against it.

The Senate will pass it with probably a 65-70 vote, but not a majority of the 49 Democrats.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
I must confess I am SHOCKED.

This is not what I would call a partisan vote on the for it side.

I really thought this vote would go along party lines.

Did Daschell change his tune?

Democrats voting in favor had to consider the pending election and the impact of a "No" vote in their districts.

Daschell still has plenty of airtime opportunity on this one.

Although it was not a majority, 40% of Democrats did vote for the resolution.

Another interesting point is that this resolution passed in the House of Representatives by a much greater margin than Bush Sr. resolutions in regards to removing Iraq from Kuwait with military force back in 1990/1991.

deep said:
Dread,

It was the House. Senate has not voted, yet. I think Tom Daschle has said he expects to support it in the end.

A majority of Democrats voted against the resolution even though their House leader, Dick Gephardt, was one of its authors.

Despite efforts by party leaders to defuse Iraq as a political issue four weeks before the election, 126 of the House's 208 Democrats voted against it.

The Senate will pass it with probably a 65-70 vote, but not a majority of the 49 Democrats.

Ouch...now I am kicking myself. I somehow mixed up Daschel and equated him with the house. Brain Cramps. I have had a migrane for the past four days. Thanks for setting me straight.

Homer Simpson "Duh"

deep said:
Ha! Hillary votes yes.

ur surprised?...

how did R byrd vote?? has he yet?...the suspense is killing me!!!

I feel pretty! so pretty!! pretty....etc.

The US Senate has just voted to support Bush's resolution on military action against Iraq! The Vote was 77 to 23!

Deep,

It will be to your surprise that a majority of Democrats voted to support Bush's resolution on military action against Iraq.

The American people through their elected representitives have now spoken and demand that Saddam Hussein be disarmed, with force if necessary. The President has the support of the country for his policy.

STING2 said:
The US Senate has just voted to support Bush's resolution on military action against Iraq! The Vote was 77 to 23!

Deep,

It will be to your surprise that a majority of Democrats voted to support Bush's resolution on military action against Iraq.

The American people through their elected representitives have now spoken and demand that Saddam Hussein be disarmed, with force if necessary. The President has the support of the country for his policy.

Where did you get that info (about the Senate vote)? I haven't heard that, plus it's in the middle of the night...seems a bit preliminary to me...

LOL...funny, I didn't ever get to talk to my elected representative to voice my concern over this "war"...I seriously doubt that if the actual public voted, the support would be that overwhelming. It's virtual representation...they're voting for what they feel is best for the country as a whole...not by what their represented district/state says.

my cspan 2 goes off and I lose senate coverage in the evening

STING2 said:

Just like Las Vegas.

A person can be right most of the time.

But, when your wrong, it really cost ya.:yes:

I'm not shocked at all. The general political climate was in support of military action in the war on terrorism. Most protest against the war on terrorism comes from the far left, which is outside of the Democratic Party.

Melon

CNN.com

The U.S. Senate has joined the House of Representatives in approving a resolution giving President Bush authority to use force against Iraq.

walkon11 said:

Where did you get that info (about the Senate vote)? I haven't heard that, plus it's in the middle of the night...seems a bit preliminary to me...

They stay late all the time. I feel sorry for the offices where staffers have to stay as long as the Congressman/Senator is there, just in case he/she needs something.

melon said:
I'm not shocked at all. The general political climate was in support of military action in the war on terrorism. Most protest against the war on terrorism comes from the far left, which is outside of the Democratic Party.

Melon

Wow, we must have a lot of far lefties on this board.

Sparkysgrrrl said:
I wish the far lefties would post more often, I can't find any...
The far lefties I know would make a lot of you poo yourself :evil:

:p

Is that because they smell of poo or because they're full of poo?

I imagine it's both.

Do you actually think it matters that Congress voted yes on military action? It doesn't. It's a formality that has no consequence on anything. Congress knows that, so they may as well just go along with it, since it's going to happen anyway.

Just for Fun

us3 said:

ur surprised?...

how did R byrd vote?? has he yet?...the suspense is killing me!!!

I feel pretty! so pretty!! pretty....etc.

Ok - a far leftie who neither smells like poo nor is full of poo:

R Byrd slammed the Democrats for having no backbone, and of course voted no.

It sucked, not because I disagree on moving against Iraq if the UN fails, but the availability of preemptive strikes against any country in the future.

Not George Lucas:

Actually it does matter because this is a democracy not a dictatorship. Also, the elected officials had to be mindful of the general feeling among voters when they cast their votes with elections only a few weeks away. This is what the majority of Americans feel is the right policy. That is why support for the resolution was so overwhelming.

After all these people saying how Bush does not have this support and that support from this group or whatever and now Bush has the majority support of the American people and may possibly get UN approval as well. After all the ranting of people saying he did not have these things, and now finally gets them, suddenly it does not matter to them:eyebrow:. Why did they bother to rant in the first place?

Not George Lucas said:
Do you actually think it matters that Congress voted yes on military action? It doesn't.

Imho it matters because GWB can raise the presure on the UN (irelevance).

The 2nd consequence is that GWB dosn't have to ask for Congress permission for a war anymore.
If he dosn't care about UN rules he could start war now.

But in the end it's not surprising at all. Imho GWB uses war to run an election campaign as Gerhard Schroeder used Pacifism.
Both play with the fear of their people to get some more votes.

Klaus

Klaus said:

But in the end it's not surprising at all. Imho GWB uses war to run an election campaign as Gerhard Schroeder used Pacifism.
Both play with the fear of their people to get some more votes.

Klaus

Among the top ten truths I have ever read!

Back
Top Bottom