the U.N.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
does it work?

no one seems to think so.

why not?

a lot of people seem to think it is unworkable. the impossibility of its scheme is a common complaint among american commentators. im a student of a lot of things but history is not one of them and when i hear this i wonder, has the U.S. been committed fully of late to the U.N.?

[the U.S. debt to the U.N. is said to be quite substantial, is this a fair proxy for american commitment to the process? or is it an indication in america's lack of faith in the process?]

if not, would their being so spur a different result?

if it truly is an unworkable model with the U.S. and other tier powers onboard, then how is the world to be led?

long term, is an american led coalition of variable partners acting unilaterally or multilaterally to deal with imminent, medium and long term threats appropriate?

what a loaded post.

the u.n. in its current state appears to me to be too corrupt, fractured, and weak to do anything of significance at this point. i think the whole thing needs an overhaul. that said, ultimately i think a global body would be a much better way to deal with international crises in comparison to a "coalition" lead by one domineering nation that rewards the willing with economic/military benefits.

The U.N. is very flawed. There are all sorts of destructive power games going on in there. I actually need to study the situation further before I try to make an authoritative statement about it, though. Political history is my big weakness, I've always done better in cultural and social history.

The UN is more than just the Security Council. Most of the excellent work they do in the field of human rights, social and economic affairs occurs behind the scenes out of the public eye, while conflict inside the UN ends up in the media.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
funny... the oil for food scandle remains out of the public eye, too. seems no one wants to talk about that doozey... haliburton, apparently, gets higher ratings. :shrug:

That's weird, I've read and heard about both scandles here. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom