The Teachings of the Twelve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Here is the earliest teachings written down. It was written in the year that the Apostle John died according to my research.

[Q]THE TEACHING TO THE NATIONS
CHAPTER 1
THE TWO WAYS;THE FIRST COMMANDMENT
1) There are two ways: one of Life - one of Death, each having great differences between them.
2) The way of life is this:
First, You must love the One who formed you;
Second, you must love your neighbor in the same manner as yourself. Do not do to others, what you yourself would not want done to you.
3) And these are our teachings:
Bless the ones who curse you. Pray for your enemies. Fast for your persecuters. Do you expect a great reward if you only love those who love you? Do the Gentiles not conduct themselves accordingly? But if you practice love to those who hate you, your enemies will vanish.
4) Refrain from the impulses of your selfish nature and the self-serving world. If someone strikes you on your right cheek, turn the left to be likewise stiked. This discipline will lead to your perfecting. If someone forces you to go one mile in service, go with him a second. If someone robs you of your robe, freely give him your coat. If someone takes anything from you, don't ask that it be returned, for what good would that do?
5) Give to all who ask, and don't expect return; for your Parent in heaven wills that everyone should be recipients of our free gifts. Great rewards await anyone who gives according to the commandment; for that person is guiltless. A negative return is given to the one who receives but has no need, for he will pay the penalty for why he received for nothing but greed, and under examination will be required to divulge everything concerning his choices, and will not be freed from his obligations until everything owed is paid.
6) On the other hand, the one who is in need and receives is guiltless. Let your gifts rest in in your sweaty hands, until you know to can discern to whom you should give.

CHAPTER 2
THE SECOND COMMANDMENT: GROSS SIN FORBIDDEN
1) This is the second commandment of the Teaching;
2) You must not murder; nor given to adultery; nor molest children; nor practice immorality; nor theft; nor a practicioner of black magic; nor a practicioner of witchcraft; nor a terminator of unborn children; nor any sort of infanticide; nor one who unlawfully seek to take ownership of your neighbor's possessions,
3) You must not commit perjury nor be given over to false testimony, nor speak evil, nor hold grudges.
4) You must not be deceitful nor fickle; for to be fickeled is a snare of death.
5) Your speech must never be false, nor meaningless, but confirmed by action.
6) You must never be greedy, nor accumulate riches, nor a hypocrite, nor malicious, nor arrogant; nor given over to plot evil against your neighbor.
7) You must not hate anyone; but some you must correct, and pray for others, and some you must love even more than your own life.

CHAPTER 3
OTHER SINS FORBIDDEN
1) My child, turn away from everything evil, even from anything that resembles it.
2) Control your anger, for anger leads to murder. Control your jealousy, and do not bicker, nor be hot-tempered, for all these these things are the roots of murder.
3) My child, don't entertain lust in your heart; for lust leads to immorality. Do not be foul-mouthed, nor allow your eyes to roam; for all these are the roots of adultery.
4) My child, do not practice any part of omens, because this leads to idolatry. Do not practice enchantment, nor self-centered astrology, nor black magic, nor join with those who exhibit these things; for these all lead to idolatry.
5) My child, do not lie because lying lead to theft. Do not accumulate selfish wealth, nor build conceit because these all lead to theft.
6) My child, do not grumble because this leads to blasphemy. Do not be arrogant nor evil-minded because all of these lead to blasphemy.
7) Rather, be meek for they will inherit the Land of Promise.
8) Be humble, patient, merciful, gentle and good, always showing proper respect and reverence for that which you have heard.
9) Never seek self-exaltation, nor be over-confident in your own self. You must not be joined with the worldly upper class, but with the righteous and humble.
10) Whatsoever things that happen to you should be taken as good, after all we know that nothing happens apart from God.

CHAPTER 4
VARIOUS PRECEPTS
1) My child, every night and day remember those who teach you; and you must honor him.
2) And you must daily seek the companionship of the saints, so that you may find support in their words.
3) Never cause division, but be an arbitor to those who quarrel. Always judge righteously, never showing partiality when mediating transgressions.
4) Always stand firm in your decisions.
5) Don't be a habitual receiver, ever reluctant in generosity.
6) If you've earned something through work, your giving will be weighed as a ransom against your sins.
7) You must not hesitate to give, nor grumble afterwards, for one day you will face the reward of the Paymaster.
8) Never turn away those in need, but always share all things with your brother, and never say that your possessions exclusively your own, because if you share in eternal things, how much more in things that are temporary!
9) Never neglect your responsibilities concerning your son and daughter, but always teach them from their youth proper respect.
10) Never give orders in anger to your servant or maid, especially if their hope is the same, lest they are provoked to lose respect for God who is over you both. For He doesn't come to people based on their appearance or reputation, but to the ones whom the Spirit has prepared.
11) And your servants must be subject to your own masters in respect and fear.
12) You must hate all hypocrisy and everything that is not positive.
13) Never turn away from practicing the commandments and always guard what you have received, being careful to never add to or take away from anything that was received.
14) In the assembly you should confess your transgressions, and be careful to never approach your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life.

CHAPTER 5
THE WAY OF DEATH
1) The way of death is this: First of all, it is evil and cursed: full of murders, adulteries, lusts, fornications, thefts, idolatries, magical arts, witchcrafts, robberies, false testimonies, hypocrisy, deceit, arrogance, depravity, self-will, greed, filthy talk, jealous, over-confidence, false-pride, boastful;
2) Persecutors of all things good, hating truth, loving lies, ignorant of the reward for righteousness, not clinging to good nor righteous judgment, being drawn to evil rather than good; from whom gentleness and endurance are distanced, loving vanities, chasing temporary reward, having no mercy for the poor, not working for the afflicted, not knowing their Creator, murderers of children, destroyers of creation, turning away from the needy, oppressing the afflicted, prejudiced in favor of the rich and against the poor, utterly sinful. Children, may all of you be delivered from all these abominations.

CHAPTER 6
AGAINST FALSE TEACHERS, AND FOOD OFFERED TO IDOLS
1) Be on your guard for many would like to lead you away from the way of the Teaching, for their priorities have no regard.
2) If you are able to bear the yoke, you will be perfect; but if you can't, you should make your best effort.
3) And concerning food, eat what is right but guard that you never eat that which is sacrificed to idols, for that is recognized as worship of the dead.

CHAPTER 7
CONCERNING BAPTISM
1) And concerning baptism, baptize this way: After reviewing all of this teaching, baptize in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in living (running) water.
2) But if living water is not available, then baptize into other water; and cold is prefered, but if not available in warm.
3) But if neither is available, pour water three times upon the head in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
4) But before the baptism, let the overseer fast, and also the one being baptized, and all others who are able; Be sure to instruct the one being baptized to fast one or two days before.

CHAPTER 8
CONCERNING FASTING AND PRAYER
1) Be careful not to schedule your fasts at the times when the hypocrites fast. They fast on the second (Monday) and fifth (Thursday) day of the week, therefore make your fast on the fourth (Wednesday) day and the Preparation day (Friday, the day of preparation for the Sabbath-Saturday).
2) Likewise, don't pray as the hypocrites, but as commanded in the Gospel in this manner:
Our Father in heaven,
Sacred is Your Name.
Your kingdom comes.
Your will is acomplished,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us each day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debt
in the manner that we forgive our debtors.
And do not allow us to fall to temptation,
but deliver us from evil,
for Yours is the power and the glory forever.
Amen!
3) Pray in this manner three times per day.

CHAPTER 9
THE THANKSGIVING SACRAMENT
1) Now concerning the Thanksgiving meal, give thanks in this manner.
2) First, concerning the cup:
We thank You, our Father,
For the Holy Vine of David Your servant,
Whom You made known to us through Your Servant;
May the glory be Yours forever.
3) Concerning the broken bread:
We thank You, our Father,
For the life and knowledge
Which You made known to us through Your Servant;
May the glory be Yours forever.
As this broken bread was scattered over the mountains,
And was gathered together to become one,
So let Your Body of Faithful be gathered together
From the ends of the earth into Your kingdom;
for the glory and power are Yours forever.
5) But let no one eat or drink of your Thanksgiving, unless they have been baptized; for concerning this is taught, "Do not give what is holy to dogs."

CHAPTER 10
PRAYER AFTER COMMUNION
1) After the meal, give thanks in this manner:
2) We offer thanks, Holy Father,
For Your Holy Name which fills our hearts,
And for the knowledge, faith and eternal life,
You made known to us through Your Servant;
Yours is the glory forever.
3) Almighty Master, You created all things for Your own purpose;
You gave men food and drink to enjoy,
That they might give You thanks;
But to us You freely give spiritual food and drink,
And eternal life through Your Servant.
4) Foremost, we thank You because You are mighty;
Yours is the glory forever.
5) Remember Your Body of Servants,
To deliver it from everything evil
And perfect it according to Your love,
And gather it from the four winds,
Sanctified for Your kingdom which You have prepared for it;
For the power and glory are Yours forever.
6) Let Your grace come,
And let this world pass away.
Hosanna to the God of David!
May all who are holy, come;
Let those who are not, repent.
Maranatha. Amen.
7)But permit the prophets to make Thanksgiving as they wish.

CHAPTER 11
CONCERNING TEACHERS, EMISSARIES, AND PROPHETS
TEACHERS:
1) Whoever comes to teach you in accordance with all these things we've written here, receive him.
2) But if the teacher himself goes astray, teaching another doctrine which would undermine this doctrine, do not hear him; but if his teaching provokes you to greater righteousness and increases your knowledge, welcome him.

EMISSARIES & PROPHETS
3) Concerning the emissaries and prophets, Deal with them according to the decree of our Teaching.

EMISSARIES:
4) Let every emissary that comes to you be received.
5) But he must not remain longer than one day, unless it is absolutely necessary, in which case he may stay another. But if he stays three days, suspect him as a false prophet.
6) When the emissary leaves, send him with only bread to sustain him to his next destination. But if he asks for money, be assured that he is a false prophet.

PROPHETS:
7) Do not test or judge any prophet who speaks according to the Spirit.
8) But be warned; not everyone who speaks according to the Spirit is a prophet, but only those who walk in the Spirit. Therefore, from their consistent behaviors can you discern the false prophet.
9) And every prophet who commands food to be brought to him in the Spirit will not eat from it, unless he is a false prophet;
10) Every prophet will teach the truth, but if he doesn't practice his own words, he should be regarded as a false prophet.
11) And every prophet who has proven that they are in fact genuine, whose illustrations occasionally appear too worldly when teaching about the Body of Believers, yet he scrupulously does not teach others to copy his illustrations, shall not be judged negatively among you, for God will judge righteously. For his example came from the ancient prophets.
12) Whoever says in the Spirit, "Give me money," or something similar thing, do not listen to him. But if he solicites that you give to the needy, none should judge him.

CHAPTER 12
RECEPTION OF BELIEVERS
1) Everyone who comes should be received, but then you should watch him. Under scrutiny you will gain insight into his character.
2) If he is a traveler, help him according to your ability. But he should not be allowed to stay with you more than two or possibly three days.
3) But if he desides to stay longer, and is a craftsman, put him to work.
4) But if he is not skilled, make a careful judgment as to his living conditions as a fellow believer among you, making sure that he is not allowed to be idle.
5) But if he doesn't cooperate, he is a user - even trading on Christ for profit. Beware of such as this.

CHAPTER 13
SUPPORT OF PROPHETS
1) Every true prophet who settles among you is deserving of his food.
2) A true teacher is also worthy of his food.
3) For this reason, Store all the first-fruits of your wine, grain, cattle, and sheep. Give these to the prophets, for they are your high priests.
4) If a prophet does not reside among you, distribute it to the poor.
5) If you make bread, give the first-fruit according to the instruction.
6) In this manner, when you open a container of wine or oil, give the first-fruit of it to the prophets.
7) And concerning your money, clothing, and all possessions, give the appropriate first-fruit, according to godly discretion, and give according to the instruction.

CHAPTER 14
THE SABBATH ASSEMBLY
1) Every day, gather together, eat a meal, and give thanks after having first confessed your sins, that your sacrifice may be pure.
2) Discourage anyone who has a disputation with his brother to gather with you, until they are reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be defiled.
3) For this is the sacrifice that was spoken of in our teaching:
"In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, and My Name is marvelous among the nations."

CHAPTER 15
BISHOPS AND DEACONS; REPROOF
1) Therefore, appoint for yourselves, worthy bishops and deacons. Make sure that they are men who are meek, not lovers of money, but truthful and proven. They will provide among you the services of prophets and teachers.
2) Do not despise them, rather they should be honored, together with the prophets and teachers.
3) Correct each other in peace, not in anger. But if one among you wrongs another, do not befriend and console the offender, until he reconciles.
4) Concerning your prayers, giving, and works, perform them according to our teachings.

CHAPTER 16
WATCHFULNESS; THE COMING JUDGMENT
1) Guard your lives. Keep your menorah's (lamps) burning, and ever prepared, for the hour is not known.
2) Gather together frequently, pursuing that which will benefit your souls, otherwise the entire time of your faith will be nearly worthless if you have not persevered to the end.
3) For in the last days false prophets and corrupters will be multiplied, and the sheep will become wolves, and love will be turned into hate.
4) As lawlessness increases, they will hate and persecute and betray one another. And then the deceiver of the world will appear as a son of God, and will perform signs and wonders, and the earth will be delivered into his hands, and he will do abominable things that will surpass all evil done since the beginning.
5) Then all mankind will be tried by fire, causing many to fall away and perish. But those with enduring faith will be saved from by the One Who was cursed.
6) Then the signs of truth will appear: First, the sign of heaven opening. Then, the sign of the trumpet sounding. And third, the resurrection of the dead.
7) Yet, not of all, but as it is said: "The Judge will come, and all His angels."
8) Then the world will see the judgment coming on the clouds of heaven.[/Q]

Any thoughts......I find it interesting.

Never turn away those in need, but always share all things with your brother, and never say that your possessions exclusively your own, because if you share in eternal things, how much more in things that are temporary!

Yet then he says;

But let no one eat or drink of your Thanksgiving, unless they have been baptized; for concerning this is taught, "Do not give what is holy to dogs."

The teachings about prophets and emissaries I found to be interesting.

But I have a question about this:
You must not ... nor a terminator of unborn children
Was this even practiced back then? I found this to be a little strange.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yet then he says;

The teachings about prophets and emissaries I found to be interesting.

But I have a question about this:
Was this even practiced back then? I found this to be a little strange.

you may be on to something

from the same site:

the epistle of jesus christ to abgarus king od edessa

[The first writer who makes any mention of the Epistles that passed between Jesus Christ and Abgarus, is Eusebius, Bishop of Caesarea, in Palestine, who flourished in the early part of the fourth century. For their genuineness, he appeals to the public registers and records of the City of Edessa in Mesopotamia, where Abgarus reigned, and where he affirms that he found them written, in the Syriac lauguage. He published a Greek translation of them, in his Ecclesiastical History.

A copy of a letter written by King Abgarus to Jesus, and sent to him by Ananias, his footman, to Jerusalem, 5 inviting him to Edessa.

ABGARUS, king of Edessa, to Jesus the good Saviour, who appears at Jerusalem, greeting.

2 I have been informed concerning you and your cures, which are performed without the use of medicines and herbs,

3 For it is reported, that you cause the blind to see, the lame to walk, do both cleanse lepers,

and cast out unclean spirits and devils, and restore them to health who have been long diseased, and raisest up the dead;

4 All which when I heard, I was persuaded of one of these two, viz: either that you are God himself descended from heaven, who do these things, or the son of God.

5 On this account therefore I have wrote to you, earnestly to desire you would take the trouble of a journey hither, and cure a disease which I am under.

6 For I hear the Jews ridicule you, and intend you mischief.

7 My city is indeed small, but neat, and large enough for us both.

(The answer of Jesus by Ananias the footman to Abgarus the king, 3 declining to visit Edessa.)

ABGARUS, you are happy, forasmuch as you have believed on me, whom ye have not seen.

2 For it is written concerning me, that those who have seen me should not believe on me,
that they who have not seen might believe and live.

3 As to that part of your letter, which relates to my giving you a visit, I must inform you,
that I must fulfil all the ends of my mission in this country, and
after that be received up again to him who sent me.

4 But after my ascension I will send one of my disciples, who will cure your disease,
and give life to you, and all that are with you.
Jesus HMO services

And Bonovox....excellent pick up.......As I said earlier...I got out of surgery and home and came here and I am pretty drugged up....

Here is anopther translation of the same Verse

[Q]2:2 Thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not commit adultery; thou shalt not corrupt youth; thou shalt not commit fornication; thou shalt not steal; thou shalt not use soothsaying; thou shalt not practise sorcery; thou shalt not kill a child by abortion, neither shalt thou slay it when born; thou shalt not covet the goods of thy neighbour; [/Q]

If you atre interested in looking this up....do a google search on the Didache....there are many links...I am still to hazy to do much thinking on this.

I love this site! It turns out to have a link to one of my favorite historical sites, the ECOLE Initiative (stands for Early Church Online Encyclopedia). This stuff is fascinating, to say the least.

No kidding...:huh: However that was not the site I used...and I did not have access to the things that were attributed to the site I used. As a matter of fact, there are many translations, which I linked to.:yes: Despite my current state I do understand there are many translations.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff....one researcher believes it is very close to the time of the Apostles...

[Q]c. 60-100 C.E.

The Didache is, in all probability, the oldest surviving extant piece of non-canonical literature. It is not so much a letter as a handbook for new Christian converts, consisting of instructions derived directly from the treachings of Jesus. The book can be divided into three sections?the first six chapters consist of catechetical lessons; the next four give descriptions of the liturgy, including baptism, fasting and communion; and the last six outline the church organization.

The Didache claims to have been authored by the twelve apostles. While this is unlikely, the work could be a direct result of the first Apostolic Council, c.50 C.E. (Acts 15:28). Similarities to the Apostolic Decree are apparent, and the given structure of the church is quite primitive. Also, the description of the Eucharist carefully avoids mention of the "body and blood of Christ," obviously being regarded as one of the secret mysteries of eary Christianity. Most scholars agree that the work, in its earliest form, may have circulated as early as the 60's C.E., though additions and modifications may have taken place well into the third century. The work was never officially rejected by the Church, but was excluded from the canon for its lack of literary value.

The complete text of the Didache was discovered in the Codex Hierosolymitanus, though a number of fragments exist, most notably in the Oxyrhynchus Papyri. It was originally composed in Greek, probably within a small community.[/Q]

What I find most interesting is that this may very well be the PUREST view we have as to what the Disciples felt that Jesus wanted taught.

I am specifically thinking of all of the DOGMA that has been shoved into our concept of Christianity over almost 2,000 years.

This appears so pure....and simple....and something that would not cause the Church to split and fracture into denominations.

I have my suspicions that this could be Jewish Christian in origin, as I do notice the fairly "ritual" nature of the text, something that doesn't seem very "Pauline." This line, "Do the Gentiles not conduct themselves accordingly?" also makes me wonder as well, as St. Paul's church was referred to as "Gentile Christians," unofficially, and, thus, they would never make such a statement.

If my suspicions are, indeed, correct, it was never included in the canon, because the Jewish Christian church was obliterated by the third century A.D., and the entire NT canon was directed by St. Paul's successor church, which formed the basis for the present-day Roman Catholic church.

It is highly likely that this was not found prior to more recent times, because all non-canon works were ordered to be destroyed after the NT was finalized in the sixth century A.D. Of course, some things always slip through the cracks.

As to how "accurate" this is, age doesn't always equate with accuracy. It may just be a brilliant relic of a defeated church, who had their own agenda, just like St. Paul did.

Melon

It apparently has MAJOR parts from one of Paul's disciples in it though. Actually, whole sections almost word for word right out of the Epistle of Barnabas.

It DEFINITELY has its Jewish tradition, mimicing the Two Paths in Jewish tradition.

What specifically makes you think it is not of Paul? Is it because there are such Jewish overtones?

CHAPTER 6
AGAINST FALSE TEACHERS, AND FOOD OFFERED TO IDOLS
1) Be on your guard for many would like to lead you away from the way of the Teaching, for their priorities have no regard.
2) If you are able to bear the yoke, you will be perfect; but if you can't, you should make your best effort.
3) And concerning food, eat what is right but guard that you never eat that which is sacrificed to idols, for that is recognized as worship of the dead.

Point three seems to be in conflict with 1 Corinthians 8:

1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge.[1] Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the man who loves God is known by God.
4So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.
7But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.
9Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.

The only known complete Didache in Greek is the Codex Hierosolymitanus, which was first published by Bryennios in 1883. The Greek Oxyrhynchus Papyrus No. 1782, dating from the late fourth century, contained fragments of a codex that preserved Didache 1:3b-4a and 2:7b to 3:2a in slightly variant and expanded form. A Coptic fragment from the fifth century contains Didache 10:3b through 12:1b,2a, and appends a prayer for oil at 10:8.

A nineteenth-century manuscript preserved at Constantinople contains a complete Georgian version of the Didache, the translation of which may be as early as the fifth century. It lacks Didache 1:5-6 and 13:5-7. The title includes the words "written in the year 90 or 100 after the Lord Christ." Although never published, readings were made available in 1931.

The Greek "Apostolic Constitutions" has many references to the Didache, re-worked with additional Scriptures and other traditions, as does the Ethiopic "Ecclesiastical Canons of the Apostles." Arabic versions both add and subtract from the Didache.

Several writers (Eusebius, about 325, and Athanasius of Alexandria in a letter of 367, etc.,) and lists from the beginning of the fourth century and onward refer to a writing known as the "Teaching" or "Teachings" of the Apostles, but inasmuch as nothing is specifically cited, we cannot be sure if the references are to the document we know today as the Didache.

Our present version of the ancient Didache is a reliable guide to help us understand the conduct code of the earliest Christian community.

Concerning prophets:

[Q]11:9 But if he asks for money, he is a false prophet.[/Q]

[Q]11:20 And whoever shall say in the Spirit, Give me silver or anything else, you shall not listen to him;
11:21 But if he tell you to give on behalf of others that are in need, let no man judge him.[/Q]

Anyone know any Televangelists that come to mind?

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
Point three seems to be in conflict with 1 Corinthians 8

An example of St. Paul's duplicity. St. Paul's total opposition to the Mosaic Law versus St. Peter and St. James' insistence on its complete adherence led to a compromise, which is listed in Acts 15, which is what the Didache here refers to. What is not mentioned, however, is that St. Paul and his Gentile church never adhered to that compromise at all, and St. Paul went further on his insistence that Jesus was the fulfillment of the Mosaic Law, and, thus, is replaced by Jesus' sole commandment to "love one another" (and made more explicit in Romans 13).

This conflict is really one of my primary reasons as to why I believe this to be Jewish Christian in origin.

Melon

OK...take it down a notch boys, and remember I am drugged up....

Help me understand the conflict.

NB and Melon....I am still trying to keep up with you.....

This author had this to say about the verse you were chatting about:

[Q]6:3 Concerning food, bear what you can, but carefully keep away from food sacrificed to idols, for it is a worship-service to gods from the realm of the dead.

The prohibition against eating food sacrificed to idols was one part of the decision of the Council of Jerusalem in AD 49. The entire decision was sent as a letter to all the churches (Acts 15:20-29, 21:25), so why doesn't the Didache include all of it? [/Q]

More:

[Q]Content Analysis
The Didache contains some material that is also in Matthew and Luke, rather a lot that is only in Matthew, and much that is not in any of the canonized gospels, but -- and this is remarkable -- it contains virtually nothing that is found in Mark.

How could that have happened? If the Didache was based on Matthew, as most New Testament scholars assume, how did the writer manage to exclude virtually everything that Matthew copied from Mark? And even if he had both of those gospels open in front of him, why would he want to do that?

A more likely hypothesis is:

Sayings of Jesus were probably in wide circulation in both oral and written form. The Didache refers to a collection of the sayings of Jesus known as "The Gospel of the Lord" but none of the four canonized gospels. Mark wrote his Gospel based on the preaching of Peter, as most New Testament scholars maintain. Matthew had the Didache and copied from it as he did from Mark: that would explain the origin of the passages that are only in the Didache and Matthew. Luke compiled his Gospel from several sources, including Mark, but he did not have the Didache.

Much of the material in the Didache is also in Acts and/or the Epistles of Paul. The style of these parts is typical of Paul.

The common source for parts of the Didache and the Epistle of Barnabas is not very difficult to ascertain. If we were to compare two sermons by Billy Graham, one given in the 1950s and the other in the 1990s, many phrases and even whole sentences would be virtually identical, but not in the same sequence -- which is precisely what we find in the Didache and the Epistle of Barnabas. Therefore, the most probable source is Barnabas himself, early and late in his career.

The Didache shows several abrupt changes in vocabulary, phrasing, and ways of addressing an audience that capture the "voices" of three different speakers. In sum, it reads like a set of lecture notes taken by someone listening to three people.
Historical Context
Many strong parallels point to Paul and Barnabas as the apostles involved in this teaching. If so, what we know about them from other sources brackets the time and place in which the Didache was written.

The followers of Jesus first preached the gospel only to Jews. After several years, some of them started preaching to Gentiles in Antioch of Syria, many of whom were converted. When the leaders of the church in Jerusalem heard about this, they sent Barnabas to Antioch. He found a sizable congregation and many more people eager to hear about Jesus. So Barnabas went to Tarsus and brought Paul to Antioch. They taught there together for a year. (Acts 11:19-26)
Now in these days prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. And one of them named Agabus stood up and foretold by the spirit that there would be a great famine over all the world, and this took place in the days of Claudius. And the disciples determined, every one according to his ability, to send relief to the brethren who lived in Judea; and they did so, sending it to the elders by the hand of Barnabas and Paul. (Acts 11:27-30)
Historical sources say there was a great famine in Judea in AD 47. Therefore, Acts 12:1-23 may be misplaced in Luke's otherwise chronological report. "About that time" King Herod killed James the brother of John and arrested Peter; but Peter escaped from prison, and King Herod died at Caesarea. There are historical records that King Herod (Agrippa I) died during a festival at Caesarea in AD 44. Luke adds a time-space: "But the word of God grew and multiplied" (Acts 12:24).

In his epistle to the Galatians, Paul wrote:
Then after fourteen years, I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. I went up by revelation; and I laid before them (but privately before those who were of repute) the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, lest somehow I should be running or had run in vain. (Galatians 2:1-2)
Fourteen years after Paul's first visit to Jerusalem probably equates to AD 47. The Didache may be what Paul laid before the leaders in Jerusalem -- a summary document prepared in advance for just that purpose -- or more likely from the way it sounds, a set of lecture notes taken while Barnabas and Paul and Titus were speaking. In either case it is worth noting that in the Didache and in Acts 15:12 Barnabas speaks first. He was the leader at Antioch. Paul was his assistant.
when they perceived the grace that was given to me, James and Peter and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. (Galatians 2:9)
This was when Barnabas and Paul received their charter as "The Apostles to the Gentiles." They returned from Jerusalem to Antioch, bringing Mark with them. (Acts 12:25) Shortly thereafter, all three of them set out on Paul's first missionary journey, which scholars date in AD 47. (Acts 13:1-4)

They went from Antioch to and through the island of Cyprus, and then north to what is now the southern coast of Turkey. There Mark left them and went back to Jerusalem. Paul and Barnabas went on establishing new churches in the Roman province of Galatia. They returned to the coast by the way they came, sailed back to Antioch of Syria, and "remained no little time with the disciples." (Acts 13 - 14)
But some men came down from Jerusalem [to Antioch] and were teaching the brethren, "Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved." (Acts 15:1)
Paul's letter to the Galatians was probably written at this time. No doubt, men from Jerusalem also told his converts in Galatia that they had to be circumcised. Paul was angry because the leaders in Jerusalem had broken their agreement by sending men to the Gentiles. Thus, his letter to the Galatians was written in late AD 48 or early AD 49.
Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go [from Antioch] up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question. (Acts 15:2b)
Scholars date the Apostolic Council of Jerusalem in AD 49. The controversy was not between Paul and Peter. After all, Peter was the one who first preached the gospel to Gentiles (Acts 11:1-3). It was between Paul and "the circumcision party" led by James of Jerusalem, the brother of Jesus (Galatians 2:12).

Peter spoke first, in favor of preaching the gospel to Gentiles. Then Barnabas and Paul presented their case. Finally, James of Jerusalem yielded. The decision was that Gentiles did not have to become Jews in order to be Christians, but they must: "Abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from unchastity." (Acts 15:6-21, 29) The first part of this decision is in the Didache (6:3); the other three provisions apparently were added to it by the "apostles and elders" in Jerusalem.

With their charter thus reaffirmed, Paul and Barnabas were ready to carry the decision of the Apostolic Council back to the churches they established. Barnabas wanted to take Mark with them again, but Paul objected because Mark left them during their previous journey. Paul and Barnabas quarreled. Finally, Barnabas took Mark with him and went back to Cyprus (Acts 15:36-39). This is the last we hear of Barnabas in the New Testament, except for an indication that he was still preaching the gospel several years later (I Corinthians 9:6).

The long title of the Didache in the manuscript dated 1056 reads: "The Teaching of the Lord by the Twelve Apostles to the Gentiles" but I believe the original title was "The Teaching of the Apostles to the Gentiles" and the rest was inserted later.

Certainly Barnabas and Paul were "The Apostles to the Gentiles." If the Didache is a sample of their teaching, as it certainly seems to be, then it must be dated no later than AD 49 because that was when they went their separate ways. The most probable date is either AD 44 or AD 47. In either case, those dates are earlier than anything in the New Testament. Therefore, I believe the Didache is the earliest Christian document we have. Although rightly regarded as a church handbook and not a Gospel or absolutely based on the teachings of Jesus, it provides valuable insights concerning the moral doctrines, theology, rituals, esoteric operations and congregational testing of apostles and prophets, and the basic organization of First Century Christianity. [/Q]

Back
Top Bottom