The Tea Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that's y i m so smrat.

Now that I'm on summer break I don't have a morning commute. I miss my NPR :sad:

An iPhone has apps to listen live or seek out programs.

also, the ZUNE player has a pretty good FM tuner. I use both of those a lot, when walking the dog, or doing chores, etc. I probably listen to at least 4 hours of public radio a day.

??? ya stumped me.

Lincoln is way over-rated

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Giants: The Parallel Lives of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln

Among the things that upset Douglass most about Lincoln was the fact that Lincoln ran for re-election as Congressman from Illinois on promises to strictly enforce the dreaded and draconian fugitive slave laws. Douglass was even more bitter over the fact that when Lincoln was reelected he refused to support a bill to emancipate Blacks in Washington D.C. Douglass also wrote about Lincoln's support of the aborted first draft of the 13th Amendment, which advocated enshrining within the Constitution slavery for blacks in perpetuity. Later,in his second inaugural address, Lincoln made clear that although he personally hated slavery, he did not want to free the slaves if it meant upsetting the social status quo. He preferred gradual emancipation: over a period of 100 years or so. In addition, Lincoln insisted that slave owners be compensated for the slaves they freed; and suggested that the U.S. government subsidize a "back to Africa" program for all blacks.

I'm afraid I didn't get it either.

Sean, I know the 'party line' when teaching history, I don't expect you to deviate from the approved books, and risk your profession.
we have touched on this era before, for me John Brown is a much greater American than Lincoln

I would recommend this book
it got 4 1/2 out of 5 stars

Amazon.com: Giants: The Parallel Lives of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln…

Lincoln is way over-rated

Sean, I know the 'party line' when teaching history, I don't expect you to deviate from the approved books, and risk your profession.
we have touched on this era before, for me John Brown is a much greater American than Lincoln

How dares you talk 'bout Massa Lincoln like that!

:rolleyes:

It doesn't surprise me to learn that Lincoln was a product of his times. The information you shared is not news to me nor would it be verboten for me to teach me students this.

But regardless of Lincoln's "true" racism, he did what he did. And the Republican Party was THE party of abolition, and the black voter's only real choice in the years immediately after the Civil War.

Let me further add that while John Brown might have better passed the purity test of membership in the Republican party back then, I think he lacked the political acumen to accomplish anything of lasting consequence. After all, you know how his plans turned out.

Brown kick started the Civil War, but that is down-played,
he risked everything and got others (a few) to do the same

I don't know what Lincoln was, I am not one to throw around terms like racist, even today.
I just believe he floundered around and some how things worked out better than they might have.

Brown kick started the Civil War, but that is down-played,
he risked everything and got others (a few) to do the same

I don't know what Lincoln was, I am not one to throw around terms like racist, even today.
I just believe he floundered around and some how things worked out better than they might have.

Actuallly secession kick-started the Civil War and secession took place, not because of Brown's failed raid on Harper's Ferry, but because Lincoln was elected president. The southern states (led by the ever-brilliant South Carolina) has always said they'd leave the Union if he became president.

What Lincoln was was an astute politician who did we had to do to achieve his primary goal--not freeing the slaves, but keeping the Union together.

ovaloffice.jpg

Wonkette : Handy Photo Key For Crazy Oval Office Photoshop

Sure hope this guy or his family have a medical emergency in the future where it potentially could bankrupt them and then make him switch sides to be screaming that the gov should be taking care of his problem etc etc.

This guy reminds me of my coworker. Really nice guy, good morals, good family man (at least seems to be); but you get him on the topic of government and he turns face. Just spits venom and believes every single theory on the internet or from Beck/Rush/etc.

How can you live your life in so much fear or anger?

Serfdom would be more accurate than slavery. The promise of a level of security and equality in exchange for the loss of individual economic liberty.

If you're so concerned about this road to serfdom why aren't you pushing for a system that spends less government money per capita (such as Canada's).

Do you want to live in a world were the U.S. spends the same % of GDP on defense as the other NATO countries?

(Oh settle down you guys in Moscow, Tehran, Beijing, Pyongyang, Oslo and Berkeley, California. It's just a question, not a proposal.)

Do you want to live in a world were the U.S. spends the same % of GDP on defense as the other NATO countries?

(Oh settle down you guys in Moscow, Tehran, Beijing, Pyongyang, Oslo and Berkeley, California. It's just a question, not a proposal.)
Do you want to live in a country with an infant mortality rate lower than Cuba?

Serfdom would be more accurate than slavery. The promise of a level of security and equality in exchange for the loss of individual economic liberty.

You and your fellow Tea Partiers are willing to exchange "security" for a complete removal of Constitutional rights, which is why all this babbling about the "loss of freedoms" is such a load of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom