The Tea Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They just know they hate black people in positions of power, right?

Now who's playing the straw man?

Show me where I said that...

You can't, it's just a way of avoidance, avoiding the hypocricy, and the fact that it is plagued with a lot of hatred that seems to cloud the real issues.

Is there an official platform for the Tea Party somewhere?

It really just seems to be the catchall for people's frustrations. (However misplaced I think that is.)

Well yes, if the poll puts one in line with the tea party e.g. because he favored tax cuts, then I guess that number is even low. So it depends on how strongly your views have to be aligned with the main claims of the tea party to be counted in the 48% number.

a congressman here who's spoken out against some tea party members has now received death threats: Congressman Steve Cohen, Tea Party, Hate Mail; Congress, John Lewis, Emanuel Cleaver - WREG

FAST FACTS:
  • FBI Investigates Hate Mail Sent To Congressman Cohen
  • Threats Received After Cohen Criticizes Tea Party Movement
  • Cohen Says He's Willing To Talk With Tea Party Members

(Memphis 4/6/2010) Inside his Memphis office, Congressman Steve Cohen shows hate mail he's received on his Blackberry containing threats for criticizing the Tea Party movement.

Cohen says he's received at least three emails, "When you take the action of three sick individuals who suggested that I should be burned on a cross and or my throat slit, this doesn't reflect well on the Tea Party."

One email says, "It would be nice to read someone had cut your (expletive) throat."

Another email reads, "If our tea parties had hoods, we would burn your (expletive) on a cross on the White House front lawn."

The comments were sparked by an interview Cohen did last week.

Cohen said, "I did not suggest, although some people have taken it, that all Tea Party people are out to do harm to others, as the Ku Klux Klan did. I said they were without robes and hoods, which means they were not the Klan."

Cohen said his remarks were motivated by incidents at a Washington, D.C. rally last month in which he says his heroes, Congressmen John Lewis and Emanuel Cleaver, were spat upon and called the N-word.

Cohen says someone in the Tea Party should denounce those actions.

But some Tea Party members say Cohen should be apologizing to them and retract his statements made last week. The "N" word is not heard in video of the D.C. incident and it's not clear is Congressman Cleaver was spat on.

"I've always had a reputation of speaking truth to power and this is a power group and I think I spoke some truth. It might have been with a broad brush, it was maybe hyperbolic and I'm sorry people got so concerned."

Cohen says he's met with a group of Tea Party members before and would be willing to listen to them again if, he says, they are willing to discuss their disagreements without anger filled slogans.

a congressman here who's spoken out against some tea party members has now received death threats:

Yeah, a guy in Washington State was arrested yesterday for making threats against a senator who'd voted for the health care bill.

No idea if he calls himself a Tea Partier or not, but just following in the lines of the threats.

Yeah, a guy in Washington State was arrested yesterday for making threats against a senator who'd voted for the health care bill.

No idea if he calls himself a Tea Partier or not, but just following in the lines of the threats.
oh god. i should point out too cohen did vote for the healthcare bill. only one of two memphis area congressmen who did.

i still can't understand the mindset that x billions to make sure people aren't bankrupted by health problems that aren't their fault is so egregious, but billions of dollars on a totally unnecessary war in iraq is a-ok.

foreignerd.jpg

Are you hot-blooded, Ian? Should I ... er, Khan check it and see?

Do you have a fever of a hundred and three?

53176479.jpg

By DANIELA ALTIMARI The Hartford Courant

2:06 p.m. EDT, April 8, 2010

Tea Party activists won't be permitted to fly the Gadsden Flag over the state Capitol after all.

State Capitol police today reversed an earlier decision to allow the bright yellow "Don't Tread On Me" banner to flutter from the highly visible flagpole after learning that activists had planned a political rally following the flag-raising ceremony.

But Tea Party activists said today they plan to go ahead with the flag-raising they plan to bring their own flagpole.

"It went from being a flag-raising ceremony to a political event,'' Acting Capitol police Chief Walter Lee said. "They are using it as a launching pad for [candidates for] public office."

Tea Party activists view the flag as a historic symbol of American defiance, but critics say the familiar flag with the image of a coiled rattlesnake is now associated with the controversial political movement.

Tea Party groups have unfurled it at rallies across the nation, and some Republican members of Congress, who hung it from a balcony at the U.S. Capitol before a vote on the health care overhaul.

"Generally speaking, most people would agree the top of the Capitol is not the place for partisan political flags," said state Rep. Michael Lawlor, a Democrat from East Haven and co-chairman of the legislature's judiciary committee.

The Connecticut Tea Party Patriots, a loose-knit group of activists from across the state, had received permission from the state Capitol police to fly the flag from Friday through April 15.

The state's policy regarding flags specifies that only flags from the U.S., its states or territories, recognized Indian tribes, nations with which the U.S. has diplomatic relations and military organizations can fly at the highly visible spot over the state Capitol.

The Gadsden Flag dates to 1775 and is named for Christopher Gadsden, a delegate to the Continental Congress. It has long been associated with the U.S. Marine Corps, and that apparently was why it got the Capitol OK.

Lee said he initially granted permission because the flag is a symbol of the U.S. Marine Corps. The Tea Party group had wanted to fly it in connection with Patriots Day.

But permission was rescinded when he learned that the Connecticut Tea Party Patriots was planning to host a press conference with political candidates after the flag-raising.

Said Lawlor, "It doesn't sound like this is an event honoring the Marine Corps.''

Patriots coordinator Tanya Bachand rejects the notion that her group has a partisan agenda, even though it is supporting candidates in the November election. She says the group isn't allied with Republicans or Democrats, but rather is focused on promoting grass-roots activism.

"It's a nice encapsulation of the American spirit," Bachand said. "We are a strong-willed, independent people and given the chance, we can flourish."

The debate harkens back to another flag controversy that erupted at the Capitol in 1999.

Gay rights received permission to fly the rainbow flag, which drew criticism from socially conservative lawmakers and resulted in the policy limiting what flags can be hoisted at the highly visible spot. The Capitol flagpole "really should be limited to honoring countries and causes that are completely non-partisan and non controversial,'' Lawlor said.

Bachand said her group still hopes to work out a compromise. It has agreed to scrap the political rally and press conference if Capitol police permit the flag to hang. "They still said no,'' she said.

But even if the flag cannot be officially flown from a Capitol flagpole, the tea party group plans to have a flag-raising of its own. The group will bring another Gadsden Flag and a small flagpole to the Capitol tomorrow morning and hold the ceremony as planned.

"Since when did liberty become a controversial topic?'' Bachand asked. "The important thing is the flag-raising, not the press conference.''

So typical. Taking something meaningful to our history and putting a knee-jerk current political spin on it.

I hope that the only Tea Party that will be meaningful 30 years from now will be the one that started in Boston and ended with the birth of a nation.

And the anti-Teabaggers are too lazy to research the history of the Gadsden flag.

Besides, DONT blame the Teabaggers. Blame Ye Olde Flag Shoppe where they bought the thing.

OMG, I thought they would go 3rd party for sure, and teach those budget busting W supporting GOP members a lesson, once and for all.

OMG, I thought they would go 3rd party for sure, and teach those budget busting W supporting GOP members a lesson, once and for all.

Which is why everyone must consider the source, Bachmann.

Here is an excerpt:
**Those comments may not ring true to some conservative activists who have sought to distance themselves from the GOP. For example, Family Research Council President Tony Perkins (who has recently been critical of RNC spending missteps ) warned the GOP that "Republicans are not the only game in town," and said that the Tea Party was "taking on a life of its own."**

Actually, DON'T consider the source. Marginalize the source. Ignore the source. Maybe, she'll go away. Surely, there is a big, fat paycheck waiting for her as a Fox News Analyst.

I was (partially) kidding

sure there are some independents, and even a few democrats in that movement

but, when push comes to shove in November, Palin, Dick Army and others that have influence with them will have them pull the lever for the GOP

sure some, less than 10% of them, will complain, but all the GOP will be on board with Tea Party pledge of fiscal responsibility, pay as you go, talking points, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom