The Taliban

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
Ok....these guys are freaking crazy. This is what we are up against.....

Scary.......

Some facts about the Taliban:

Upon taking power, the Taliban banned all women from the workforce. As 40% of physicians and half of all teachers were women, this shortage is still being felt today.

Women cannot leave the house without wearing a burqa, an oppressive garment which covers a woman from head to toe with only a tiny bit of mesh through which to see. They are also restricted to travel outside the home only with a husband or male relative, and the windows of their homes must be blacked out. The punishment for violating these decrees is execution, though following them has led to a skyrocketing suicide rate.

90-95% of all Afghan women are illiterate, as are 75-80% of all men -- however, given that, presumably, some people are still alive who lived through the literacy-promoting Soviet regime, I'm not sure how these numbers work out. I'll have to do more research.

The Taliban's leader, Mullah Mohammed Omar, decreed in February 2001 that all statues in Afghanistan should be destroyed in accordance with an inaccurately interpreted

Islamic proscription against idol-worship. Those statues destroyed include the two largest statues of the Buddha in the world, as well as countless priceless works embodying the rich heritage of Afghanistan.

Laughing too loudly, a woman showing her ankle, and a man shaving his beard are all imprisonable, if not stonable, offences.

Music, films, cinema, television, computers, musical instruments, and video are all outlawed.

Women are stoned to death for being the victims of rape and committing adultery.
80% of Afghanistan's citizens are unemployed due to gross fiscal mismanagement by the

Taliban, which demolished the economic infrastructure. This has driven many women to prostitution, another stonable offence.

Women are not allowed health care or education, and what education there is for males consists of lackluster "religious instruction."

Boys are thrown out of school for not wearing turbans, which may not seem like much, but aside from the civil liberties violations this embodies, one must take into account that turbans are a great expense for already destitute and often starving families.

The Taliban has destroyed thousands of fertile fields in a show of attempting to curb the poppy crop. This further compounds the famine now in full force.

Afghans are the largest refugee population in the world (2,562,000 according to the UNHCR).

The Taliban harbours extremist terrorist Osama bin Laden, accused of numerous bombing attacks, and allows him to set up training camps, for the purpose of training new terrorist soldiers.

Taliban religious secret police, the Ministry for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice (Orwell, much?), are given the freedom to indiscriminately kill, imprison, and "disappear" anyone they suspect of violating Taliban decrees. Not only does this apply to Afghan citizens, but numerous foreign aid workers have been murdered and tortured by the secret police as well.
Ahmad Shah Masoud made deals with the Soviet invaders during the Cold War, allowing them safe passage into the country in exchange for assistance, even going so far as to stage mock battles with Soviet forces to keep other mujahadin groups from becoming suspicious. Currently, summary executions and torture are practiced in the territory controlled by the Northern Alliance.

In May 2001, the Taliban decreed that religious minorities must identify themselves as such. The Sikh population has been thus far unaffected by this as they are already recognisable due to their turbans and beards, but Hindus are made to carry yellow markers with them at all times.
Conversion to or practice of Christianity is punishable by death in Afghanistan.
The Taliban has had a couple publically beaten who were accused of having sex without being married. The man was lashed into unconsciousness.

Very interesting info, Hitman - thanks for gathering it up for us. Tells you that if this government harboring Bin Laden has little regard for their own people, they certainly won't have much for ours.

Laughing too loudly, a woman showing her ankle, and a man shaving his beard are all imprisonable, if not stonable, offences.

That last part is quite interesting, considering that in Bin Laden's manual for his terrorist organization he says that members should preferably be clean shaven and without a beard, which would seem to go directly against Taliban standards (these are the members living in other countries, but still).

Diemen, the aspect about that being for members in other countries is exactly why. I would imagine it's so that they seem less threatening. Less rough, scary.

As for the Taliban, they should all be eliminated. They are killing their own people, and are obviously dangerous to the rest of the world, given their harboring ways.

Okay, now where are all the uber-pacifists who want to leave them alone. I know you're out there. Come and tell us how their ways are okay because "we just don't understand." Maybe we should just arrest and imprison thousands of them...yeah, that's the ticket.

The Taliban is in power because the Americans
helped them fight the russians. And if the afganistan people want to run and find a
place to have peace, they are send away as streetdogs.

Originally posted by Rono:
The Taliban is in power because the Americans
helped them fight the russians. And if the afganistan people want to run and find a
place to have peace, they are send away as streetdogs.

Rono, I know that this statement is what many people think, but the USA did not help the Taliban take over. The Taliban came to power after the Russians were driven out. The following is an excerpt from a web site about Afghanistan:

"Afghanistan was invaded and occupied by the Soviet Union in 1979. The USSR was forced to withdraw 10 years later by anti-communist mujahidin forces supplied and trained by the US, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and others. Fighting subsequently continued among the various mujahidin factions, but the fundamentalist Islamic Taliban movement has been able to seize most of the country. "

Why are we even bothering to talk about the Taliban?! They surely aren't worth even an instant of concnetration? They are the shit of the Earth that haven't been yet disposed of; and are beneath notice.

Ant.

Rono:

The Taliban as we know it today came into existence in 1996!

Granted, some of the interests that are involved today were other rebel groups in the 1980s, and the West did infiltrate these and many other Afghan rebel groups in fighting imperialistic Soviet occupation. We had no influence in which ones would ultimately cone into power today. The most recent recognized leader of Mujahadin was assassinated by Taliban interests.

~U2Alabama

What people may not know really, or don'T want to understand :

During the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, the Talibans were a rebel movement. They were financed, trained and formed by the US government against the Soviets so they could take the power (and that's what happened). Now, most people hope through the rebel Afghan movement... wich is the old government, the pro-Soviet one.... shit happens.

Bin Ladden was formed by the US and financed by him against the Saoudian government.

The whole situation as reversed. At that time, I0 years ago or so, the US didn't have much interests in the North African region. Now they do have a lot and that's probably why a lot of the fanatic-extremists who took the airplanes were from the North African region. Bin Laddin never accepted the Gulf War and that's why he turned against the US government - CIA who formed him.

Funds come to him because he own many corporations.

If the good questions and acts are issued about this terrorist attack, maybe and hopefully the same kind of mistakes won't be made in the future.

cheers and peace

------------------
La resignacion es un suicido permanente

I need to get me a new name, i will
look for myself what the taliban is
or are, Links ?

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

So? Whats your point Holy John? Other people do know that, if not more. It doesn't stop the fact that whoever did it (probably the Taliban) will get what they deserve. Regardless of past mistakes.

During the Spanish Civil War, Republicans helped the ETA against Franco's fascist regime, does that mean that the Republicans are responsible for Spain's problems with terrorism now? Everything is somehow related and intertwined, there's no real point to make an issue out of it.

Ant.

Originally posted by Holy John:
During the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, the Talibans were a rebel movement. They were financed, trained and formed by the US government against the Soviets so they could take the power (and that's what happened).
Holy John, that's NOT true. The Soviets were driven from Afghanistan by anti-communist mujahidin forces supplied and trained by the US, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and others. The rebel army was called the Mujahidin, whihc is VERY different from the Taliban. They are not theame thing at all. The taliban wasn't even created yet when the Soviets were forced out of Afghanistan.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Holy John, that's NOT true. The Soviets were driven from Afghanistan by anti-communist mujahidin forces supplied and trained by the US, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and others. The rebel army was called the Mujahidin, whihc is VERY different from the Taliban. They are not theame thing at all. The taliban wasn't even created yet when the Soviets were forced out of Afghanistan.

Well, we should know by now that Holy John has never been one to let facts get in the way of a good America-bashing.

[This message has been edited by MSU2mike (edited 09-16-2001).]

More on the Taliban:

They all music is evil and have banned it

They have banned TV since this occured

They are the ones who were going around destroying the 2000 year old Buddah statues

A hairstylist got his hands cut off for giving guys a Leonardo DiCaprio hairdo

The rebel leader, who was on our side and led those in the Civil War who opposed the Taliban, was assassinated by another suicide bomb attack a few days before the US attacks. The news said this was ordered by Bin Laden as a favor to the Taliban for harboring him. He also did it because he knew once the US struck back in Afghanistan,
he would not be there to help us against the Taliban and it would weaken his anti-Taliban forces who would be on our side. I think that is only more proof against Bin Laden.

Those Taliban guys suck. You don't think they'll read this and come after us do you?

------------------
I B 4 U2!

Back in April, they issued a new law that Afghanistan's minority Hindu population would be required to wear yellow armbands, in order to differentiate them from the Muslims and Sikhs (who wear noticeable turbans). I think they got this idea from Hitler's Nazi society.

Then there are the foreign aid workers who were jailed and tried for mentioning Christianity to Afghansi, and the native Afghanis who happened to be Christians themselves who will likely face execution, as the Taliban has declared it illegal for Afghanis to be Christian.

The Taliban's sentence for homosexuality is death.

They blew up some of the world's largest and oldest statues of Buddha because they deem such "icons" to be evil.

And their archaic view towards women will be infuriated when the U.S. 82nd Airborne lands, including female paratroopers!

If nothing else, I hope we liberate the people of Afghanistan from this ridiculous regime.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by MSU2mike:
Well, we should know by now that Holy John has never been one to let facts get in the way of a good America-bashing.

Just as long as the references sound official and important.

Well said, Mike.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Rono:

The Taliban as we know it today came into existence in 1996!

Granted, some of the interests that are involved today were other rebel groups in the 1980s, and the West did infiltrate these and many other Afghan rebel groups in fighting imperialistic Soviet occupation. We had no influence in which ones would ultimately cone into power today. The most recent recognized leader of Mujahadin was assassinated by Taliban interests.

~U2Alabama

Oke, only the weapons are American.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Back
Top Bottom