The shooting in Montreal Quebec/ High school why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

love_u2_adam

Blue Crack Addict
Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Bas
Even over in the west we feel the morning, we even have to have lock downs now that we didn't have before. The "emo" or "goth" people are getting slammed for this. I don't like it when people discriminate against these people, i mean if they want to shoot up a school or collage or what ever then they need help and we need to get these people help. I don't want my school to get shot up....high school is a mean place....i don't get bullied cause im popular, but i AM NOT one of the rude bitches who think they run the world. That is what drives these people....girls!! Most popular teen girls are rude, they only care about what they look like and who likes who and who's getting it on with who, i know...maybe it's not all schools but mine is all of that....i know i use to be one of the bullied people about 4 yrs ago...in elementary school. i would be called ugly by the girls and i would be kicked by the girls. I am a teenage girl, i am not like people i go to school with, i talk to the people below me..i will never bully some one cause what they look like or how they act. I get told "oh god Kayla just don't k DON'T" when i talk to people who are "unpopular"...lower on the chain...wtf?!?!?! Now since this shooting....they don't say a damn thing cause i always answer: "you want to get shot cause you made this persons life a living hell???" Didn't think so!!

if you think this isn't true please tell me or pm me thanks!!

I respectfully disagree with you. Being in middle school, where the clique's are the worst, when Columbine happened I would say that in general people acted the same after as they did before. In my opinion, what drives students to shoot up schools is the teachers. Teachers allow students to harm each other mentally and emotionally. They sometimes do the harm themselves. In a school, the "cool" kids are treated better by the teachers and are allowed more often to be mean or disrespectful to fellow students. Next time you go to school, look at how teachers react and are around the kids that are popular opposed to the rest of the students and especially those you'd define as outcasts. If anything you should use this line with teachers:

"you want to get shot cause you made this persons life a living hell???"

I've found that those that are picked on aren't anymore aggressive after something like this. They'll be in more danger of falling into depression.

:slant:

I think blaming ANYONE besides, possibly, the shooters themselves for this kind of thing is way off-base. Yeah, cliques exist, assumptions about "social reject" goth/grunge/etc. kids exist, assumptions about "reliable, outgoing" popular/preppy/etc. kids exist, and both students and teachers are sometimes guilty of buying into, facilitating, or at the very least not resisting them. But obviously the kids who wind up strolling into school one day and spraying their classmates and teachers with bullets are expressing something a bit deeper than garden-variety teenage angst about the pains and hypocrisies of social hierarchies. Kids (and adults too) belong to the "tribes" they do for all kinds of reasons; it's not as simple as kids go preppy because they've won some kind of pissing contest, or kids go goth because they've lost it. Calling out people who pick on others (or trash them behind their backs) is always commendable, but doing it because you worry the person doing the picking-on or trashing might get shot (or shoot!) really only reinforces the assumptions. Kayla, I don't think this is a good way to shut up your more mean-spirited friends; you should appeal to their consciences instead. And if you're on good enough terms with these people "below" you to say it, I'd suggest that if you hear them railing about the popular kids, then perhaps try replying, "Don't you think some people in your clique do the same things?"

yolland said:
:slant:

I think blaming ANYONE besides, possibly, the shooters themselves for this kind of thing is way off-base.

But obviously the kids who wind up strolling into school one day and spraying their classmates and teachers with bullets are expressing something a bit deeper than garden-variety teenage angst about the pains and hypocrisies of social hierarchies.

I agree. The one thing I never quite understood about all the media post-Columbine was this obsession with bullying. I'm not saying those boys weren't bullied, or that the deserved what they got from bullies, but as far as all this attention from the media for kids to reach out to everyone else...sorry, I'm just not ever going to want to "reach out" to a neo-Nazi who writes discriminatory and hateful things on the 'net and likes to make bombs.

My high school had bomb threats on various occasions and each time, the kid responsible was someone with issues that go WAY deeper than just cliques or bullying. If it wasn't a bomb threat, they would've found another way to lash out.

What saddens me the most is that the people who ARE responsible for dealing with this - teachers, parents, and guidance counsellors, not other students - never seem to pick up on it until it's too late.

Screwtape2 said:
In my opinion, what drives students to shoot up schools is the teachers.
as a teacher i'm offended by such a blanket statement of blame. you cannot say that all teachers contribute to people who have no sense of empathy, or who have socialization or anger issues that may stem from the home and are unfortunately exacerbated at school.

i can't count how many lunch hours in the staff room i gave up to go sit and eat my lunch with a student who generally sat alone. or sought out the loner on the playground and asked him or her to come keep me company as i walked around on supervision. or the time devoted to setting up and coordinating peer support groups among my students. or the time taken from mandated curriculum to teach students about respect, tolerance, kindess, empathy, etc., etc., etc. oh yeah, and how about the times that i invited kids to join me or a group of kids only to be turned down by the lone student because he/she was too busy with his/her eyes (and thumbs) glued to his gameboy or psp? :slant:

my condolences to you, screwtape, if you had teachers who differentiated between the so-called 'cool' kids and the rest, but i am NOT one of those teachers. if i saw bullying or heard about it, i called kids on it. fact is, a lot of bullying takes place out of school and out of the jurisdiction of the teacher. letting parents know of the incident is often of little help, as they often side with their child, saying the bully was provoked. in my experience, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree when it comes to bullying.

I did not mean to offend you, lmjhitman. Nor was I making a blank statement. I should have made that clearer.
You sound like a great teacher and I have huge respect for how you go about your job. I would have liked to have had a teacher like you.

However, *most* teachers are not like you. In my opinion, *most* teachers are accomplices to the shooters. People might disagree but that is what I believe. :shrug:

It is extremely sad that anyone would think spraying a playground, workplace or school with gunfire is going to send a message or make anything better for anyone. I blame it on society. What happened to values, fmaily values, family ties, solid relationships and respect?

I just picked up my mom from work (at a daycare center) and she said they spent the afternoon watching a bus where an elementary school kid pulled a gun. Three of the daycare kids had been on the bus. She said it turned out only to be an "airsoft" gun (I don't know what that is), but I guess from his threats, the gun seemed real. The bus driver stopped the bus, grabbed the kid, pulled him out and called the cops. Now the kid's parents are crying brutality and excessive force. From what I've heard, the kid with the gun was the one doing the bullying.

Will it ever end? :(

Screwtape2 said:

However, *most* teachers are not like you. In my opinion, *most* teachers are accomplices to the shooters. People might disagree but that is what I believe. :shrug:

I'll respectfully disagree. I was not popular in school, nor bullied. Just the average kid who goes unnoticed by everyone but my small group of close friends (and honestly I prefered it this way). I felt more open with all of my teachers than most of my peers. Teachers cared about the things that really mattered - learning, hobbies, future career goals, things I was struggling with - while my classmates were mainly focused on themselves and other superficial aspects of teenage life.

Maybe it's the schools I went to, but I can't recall ever having a teacher that I honestly think is not fit to do his or her job. Sure, no one's perfect and there were teaching styles I didn't like, but I could never, ever go so far as to call my teachers accomplices to the kids who made the bomb threats. I *might* dare say it about some of the kids' parents, depending on the situation, but a teacher's job is to teach and be equally available to all of their students, not babysit or be constantly monitoring for psychological disturbances.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I just picked up my mom from work (at a daycare center) and she said they spent the afternoon watching a bus where an elementary school kid pulled a gun. Three of the daycare kids had been on the bus. She said it turned out only to be an "airsoft" gun (I don't know what that is), but I guess from his threats, the gun seemed real. The bus driver stopped the bus, grabbed the kid, pulled him out and called the cops. Now the kid's parents are crying brutality and excessive force. From what I've heard, the kid with the gun was the one doing the bullying.

Will it ever end? :(

:no: This is just so so sad. It is alarming when something like a mass gunshot spraying occurs in the news somewhere that sure enough there are going to be some other unstable people thinking they'll go for their 15 mins or so of fame and try something similar. Makes me ill. The parents of this boy should have NO rights to slap anyone with any kind of lawsuit. In the days of heightened Terrorist alert, ANYONE who pulls a stunt like this boy did even if he had been faking he had a gun or weapon in his pocket should be locked away. He is lucky the cops didn't blow him away when they arrived at the scene. Good for the bus driver! What a hero!

Screwtape2 said:

This ranks up there with some of the most disgusting/ridiculous stuff ever to be posted on this message board.

Carek1230 said:

:no: This is just so so sad. It is alarming when something like a mass gunshot spraying occurs in the news somewhere that sure enough there are going to be some other unstable people thinking they'll go for their 15 mins or so of fame and try something similar. Makes me ill. The parents of this boy should have NO rights to slap anyone with any kind of lawsuit. In the days of heightened Terrorist alert, ANYONE who pulls a stunt like this boy did even if he had been faking he had a gun or weapon in his pocket should be locked away. He is lucky the cops didn't blow him away when they arrived at the scene. Good for the bus driver! What a hero!

I totally agree. The saddest thing is that this was nowhere near the scariest thing that happened in this area. There's frequent stabbings, and two years back one teenager killed another over $14. The violence and drug crimes got so bad that the daycare pestered police until they setup a trailor home style unit in the park across from the daycare. Luckily the boy faking the gun threats was dealt with quickly because the police unit was a block away. It's such a shame. The daycare is tearing out their basketball court and building something else because no one can play basketball, it's the popular place for drug deals.

A lot of the kids at the daycare come from this neighborhood, so the daycare tries to reach them as best they can, but when the parents are always strung out or beat the kids or don't even enforce that they go to elementary school, it's hard to make progress.

Back
Top Bottom