The Secret To Being Married For 80 Years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
No it's not separate residences :wink:

It sounds so unbelievably simplistic but maybe it's just all so true-or maybe after 60 years or something it gets much easier :D

4024850347.jpg

LONDON - A British husband and wife revealed the secrets of the longest marriage of any living couple on Wednesday as they celebrated their 80th wedding anniversary — don't sleep on an argument, always share a kiss and hold hands before going to bed.

Percy Arrowsmith, 105, and his 100-year-old wife Florence, were married on June 1, 1925, after meeting at their local church in Hereford, western England, where he sang in the choir and she was a Sunday school teacher.

Queen Elizabeth II sent her congratulations to the Arrowsmiths, who celebrated their anniversary Wednesday with coffee and nibbles at home with family and friends.

"What a splendid achievement. I send you my warm congratulations and best wishes for your 80th wedding anniversary," the Queen wrote in a card to the couple.

The Arrowsmiths, who have three children, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren, claim the key to their long marriage is not to go to sleep on an argument. They say they always kiss each other and hold hands each night before going to bed.

"He can't settle down if I'm not holding his hand," Mrs. Arrowsmith was quoted as saying last month.

The couple's daughter Jane Woolley said her parents were both "very perky."

"She (Mrs. Arrowsmith) says she can't dance any longer but it feels good to have been married for 80 years. She says she can still have a drink," Woolley said.

I think we're very blessed," Florence, 100, told the BBC. "We still love one another, that's the most important part."

Asked for their secret, Florence said you must never be afraid to say "sorry."

"You must never go to sleep bad friends," she said, while Percy, 105, said his secret to marital bliss was just two words: "yes dear."

Guinness World Records said the pair held records for the longest marriage for a living couple and the oldest aggregate age of a married couple.

Last edited:
by the looks of the picture, it looks like he just slept through the whole thing.

nbcrusader said:
Only 65 years to go....

:up:

aw :cute:

that picture is Mr and Mrs nbc in 65 years..

Mrs nbc ~ "honey please stop reading that silly FYM and do the dishes"

nbc ~ "yes dear,they're still talking about George Bush and gay marriage so it's not as if anything's changed in 65 years anyway"

:wink:

:lmao: at the "Yes, dear" bit. There was a thing about them on the news tonight and I was laughing because the wife was doing all the talking and then would turn to her husband and say, "Isn't that right?" and he'd just reply, "Yes, dear."

Tough, but totally worth it (imo). The peace of mind I get from going to sleep without an argument hanging over me is worth far more than the sleep I might have gotten.

pax said:
Tough, but totally worth it (imo). The peace of mind I get from going to sleep without an argument hanging over me is worth far more than the sleep I might have gotten.

:up:

And in a way, it symbolizes one of the key elements to a long lasting relationship: the committment to work at it (even when you are tired).

melon said:

I'm gonna get married in Canada when the time comes. Fuck America.

Melon

Was the "fuck America" really necessary, melon? We all know your feelings on the subject, but your relentless and increasingly reckless bitterness towards just about everyone here is really not adding anything to the environment of constructive criticism and open debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom