The Rise of the Corporate Military

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Known as "privatized military firms," these companies are the corporate evolution of old-fashioned mercenaries?that is, they provide the service side of war rather than weapons. They range from small consulting firms that offer the advice of retired generals to transnational corporations that lease out battalions of commandoes. There are hundreds of them, with a global revenue of more than $100 billion a year, operating in at least 50 countries.[/Q]

This is one very interesting article. It makes me think of the dilemma we have with Al-Qaeda. A group that operates outside of government restrictions. It concerns and worries me. The article ends with this.

[Q]International and national laws must be updated so that governments gain some control over whom military firms are allowed to work with and can be certain the companies can be held accountable when things go wrong. Likewise, as governments come to rely more on private help, they must become more business-savvy, establishing good competition and oversight in their outsourcing. This is the only way to ensure that the public, not just the industry, enjoys the benefits of military privatization.[/Q]

I wanted to post the entire article. It gives some extremely good examples of the rise of the corporate military.

[Q]Perhaps nothing better illustrates the industry's growing role than the campaign against Iraq. Private employees worked on everything from feeding and housing coalition troops to maintaining weapons systems like the B-2 bomber. Indeed, there was roughly one private military worker in the region for every 10 soldiers fighting the war (as opposed to one for every 100 troops in the 1991 gulf war).[/Q]

This is something that I was shocked to read. The article is an interesting read. What do you think about it?

http://www.brook.edu/views/op-ed/fellows/singer20030721.htm

Time magazine had an excellent article a couple of months ago about the same subject. It may have even been the same author.

I too was shocked at the high percentage of non-military personnel involved in Iraq. Really gives a new meaning to the term military industrial complex. It ties the military and industry well being so tightly it's scary.

That is the whole concept of "military industrial complex" . Klaus you should read Eisenhower's exit speech. He talks about how the defense contractors will take over the choice to go to war so they can rebuild the military stockpiles.

That is exactly the way Iraq came down. Not only did military contractor suppliers profit, but private militia types, and rebuilding corps. Personally I think this was the most wicked war in history that actually achieved a decentl good. But the wickedness will live on long after the good is forgotten.

I thought for sure there would be more of a response than this. DId anyone else read the article?

haven't had a chance to read through the entire article, but i will say that this is oddly timely. I was just talking to an old highschool friend who was telling me about another mutual childhood friend of ours. he's been in the marines in the recon division (think navy seals) but will be finishing up in a month or so. He's got an offer to do some of this private subcontracting to the tune of 100K a year. Interesting. :slant:

You don't really want to know, Klaus. and quite frankly, the majority of American people don't want to know either. Just give me someone to vote for, on TV. Maybe I'm feeling a bit negative, but I keep hearing, "they" must know what going on. Whatever happpend to "I" know whats going on.

Last edited:
Klaus said:
I'd like to know how much these companies who profit now from war were giving money to the republican party or to mr. bush directly - i'm just curious

I posted this link in another thread. This group from MIT has put together a tremendous site.

Here we go.

[Q]Even before the war in Iraq began March 20, the Bush administration was considering plans to help rebuild the country after fighting ceased. According to news reports in early March, the U.S. Agency for International Development secretly asked six U.S. companies to submit bids for a $900 million government contract to repair and reconstruct water systems, roads, bridges, schools and hospitals in Iraq.

The six companies -- Bechtel Group Inc., Fluor Corp., Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg, Brown & Root, Louis Berger Group Inc., Parsons Corp. and Washington Group International Inc. -- contributed a combined $3.6 million in individual, PAC and soft money donations between 1999 and 2002, the Center reported on its news site, CapitalEye.org. Sixty-six percent of that total went to Republicans.[/Q]

These SIX were invited to bid on the $900 million dollar contract.

Here are the contribution breakdowns and the Iraqi prize:

[Q]Bechtel Group Inc.
The Contributions: $1,303,765 (59 percent to Republicans; 41 percent to Democrats)
Total to President Bush: $6,250

The Contract: USAID awarded the largest of its postwar Iraq contracts to Bechtel Group Inc. April 17. The capital construction contract gives Bechtel an initial award of $34.6 million, but provides for funding of up to $680 million over 18 months subject to Congress? approval. Bechtel?s primary activities under the contract will include rebuilding power generation facilities, electrical grids, water and sewage systems and airport facilities in Iraq. The company has said it plans to subcontract a number of these projects.

The Company: Bechtel Group Inc., the San Francisco-based engineering company, has been in the construction business for more than 100 years and has completed close to 20,000 projects in 140 countries. The privately owned firm, which had revenues of $13.3 billion last year, has made a number of friends in Washington over the years. Former Secretary of State George Shultz, once Bechtel?s president, now serves on the company?s board of directors. USAID Administrator Andrew Natsios, who oversees the bidding process for postwar contracts, once headed the Boston-area ?Big Dig? construction project, for which Bechtel was the primary contractor.[/Q]

What I love about this is that the Big Dig in Boston is/was one of the biggest sources of GRAFT EVER KNOW TO MANKIND. USAID director overseas the bidding process and awards the biggest Iraq contract to the company he worked for?????

[Q]Halliburton Co.
The Contributions: $708,770 (95 percent to Republicans)
Total to President Bush: $17,677

The Contract: On March 25, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers awarded Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg, Brown & Root the main contract to fight oil well fires and reconstruct oil fields in Iraq. The open-ended contract, which has no specified time or dollar limit, was given to the company without a bidding process. KBR has already announced it will subcontract the actual firefighting operations to Boots & Coots International Well Control Inc. and Wild Well Control Inc., both based in Houston.

The Company: Halliburton Co., the Dallas-based oil field services giant that took in $12.5 billion in sales last year, is no stranger to government contracts. Kellogg, Brown & Root fought oil well fires in Kuwait and provided support services to U.S. forces in the Balkans in the 1990s. But Halliburton's ties to Washington have made it a target of criticism in the latest bidding process. Vice President Dick Cheney headed the company for five years before becoming George W. Bush's runningmate in 2000. Lawrence Eagleburger, former U.S. secretary of state under President George H. W. Bush, sits on the company's board.[/Q]

95% of their money went to Republican Candidates????? LOL Wow!!!!! Cheney's former company gets an "open-ended contract"????

[Q]DynCorp
The Contributions: $226,865 (72 percent to Republicans)
Total to President Bush: $7,500

Computer Sciences Corp. (acquired DynCorp March 7)
The Contributions: $276,975 (74 percent to Republicans)
Total to President Bush: $10,250

The Contract: The U.S. State Department awarded DynCorp, now a unit of Computer Sciences Corp., a multimillion-dollar contract April 18 to advise the Iraqi government on setting up effective law enforcement, judicial and correctional agencies. DynCorp will arrange for up to 1,000 U.S. civilian law enforcement experts to travel to Iraq to help locals "assess threats to public order" and mentor personnel at the municipal, provincial and national levels. The company will also provide any logistical or technical support necessary for this peacekeeping project. DynCorp estimates it could recoup up to $50 million for the first year of the contract.

The Companies: Founded in 1946, DynCorp has long provided U.S. government agencies--particularly the Defense Department--with logistical and training support. Computer Sciences Corp. acquired DynCorp in March of this year for $950 million. CSC is one of the country's leading IT consulting firms and reported revenues of more than $11 billion in 2002.[/Q]

That would be 72% and 74% to Republicans. This sounds very much like one of the military type companies.

[Q]Stevedoring Services of America
The Contributions: $24,825 (77 percent to Republicans)
Total to President Bush: $1,000

The Contract: USAID awarded Stevedoring Services of America a $4.8 million contract on March 24 for "assessment and management" of the Umm Qasr port in southeastern Iraq. The agency says the Seattle-based company will operate the port as it receives shipments of humanitarian and reconstruction materials and will research ways to improve port productivity for the long term.

The Company: Stevedoring Services of America, the largest marine terminal operator in the United States, made an estimated $1 billion in sales last year. The family-owned and -operated company is a private venture.[/Q]

Not much money, but 77% to Republicans.

[Q]Abt Associates Inc.
The Contributions: $4,900 (100 percent to Democrats)
Total to President Bush: $0

The Contract: USAID awarded Abt Associates a $10 million contract April 30 to help reform the Iraqi Ministry of Health and to deliver health services and medical equipment to Iraqis. Under the ?Health System Strengthening Contract,? the firm will coordinate the training and recruiting of health staff and will provide health education to the general public. Abt will work in cooperation with UNICEF, the World Health Organization and other international organizations already on the ground in Iraq.

The Company: Abt Associates, based in Cambridge, Mass., is one of the largest for-profit government and business research and consulting firms in the world. In the United States, Abt has completed social and economic policy consulting, surveys and clinical trials for organizations such as the Environmental Protection Agency and the Centers for Disease Control. About one-third of the company?s revenues come from international activities.[/Q]

Wow...look at the total contributions...LOL.....all 100% to democrats.

[Q]SkyLink Air and Logistic Support (USA) Inc.
The Contributions: $3,900 (74 percent to Republicans)
Total to President Bush: $0

The Contract: USAID awarded SkyLink Air and Logistic Support (USA) Inc. an initial $2.5 million contract May 7 to help reopen and manage Iraq?s airports. SkyLink will oversee an international staff in its efforts to assess airport damage and get operations up and running. Ultimately, the company will turn over airport management to Iraqi staff.

The Company: Washington, D.C.-based SkyLink Air and Logistic Support is a government contractor with experience in emergency relief, peacekeeping, humanitarian aid and development activities in more than 60 countries. SkyLink?s regular clients include the United States and United Nations, which often use the company in areas plagued by war or natural disasters.[/Q]

Well they contribute a large percentage to the Republicans, but in the grand scheme of things not much $$.

There are more. I will put the link below. TO those who like to watch the money trail Bookmark this site.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/rebuilding_iraq/index.asp

Back
Top Bottom