The Rights of Paedophiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anthony

Refugee
It probably doesn't mean much in other countries, especially the US being so far away and all, but today the murderer of Sarah Payne (a very young girl who's age escapes me, I think she was younger than ten, though) was convicted and sent to a life in prison.

Now, what has come out as new information was that this sick individual had ALREADY been convicted of a sex attack on a minor, but served only two years and was then released. For years, it has been speculated in Britain that local authorities and councils should be made aware of a convicted paedophile's history when he moves into the area, thereby notifying everybody else in the area of the individual's history in order to heighten security. This has been controversial to the extreme, but this murder case might change everything.

I don't know how they do it in the US, so any comments? Are the rights or paedophiles protected? If you ask me, this bastard should have been sent to life the FIRST time it even happened, as should any beast evil enough to comitt such a deed. To hell with their rights, as I have said before, people like these do NOT deserve such rights.

Ant.

Yes, we have community notification laws here in the U.S. (in Alabama at least) and it seems to work; rarely do we hear of a case falling through the cracks, but even one time is too many. Their rights to move into any community they desire is NOT protected; the community is notified wherever they move. To be honest, I have not even heard many complaints from the pedophiles' rights side either. I guess it's pretty tough to make a case for such creeps.

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 12-12-2001).]

Now, what has come out as new information was that this sick individual had ALREADY been convicted of a sex attack on a minor, but served only two years and was then released. For years, it has been speculated in Britain that local authorities and councils should be made aware of a convicted paedophile's history when he moves into the area, thereby notifying everybody else in the area of the individual's history in order to heighten security. This has been controversial to the extreme, but this murder case might change everything.

A girl was murdered a few miles away from my house even though her muderer was a registered sex offender. I don't believe having someone's name on a list is going to stop someone like that from commiting a crime of that nature, if they've done it before. I also don't see any evidence that the system actually works as it is intended to.

Though, if anyone has any links to statistics or reports on the matter, please post them. I would be interested to see some factual data on the subject. My opinion on the matter is relatively subjective considering what happened in my area and I would like to know what kind of effect the Sex Offendor registry has had.

Their rights to move into any community they desire is NOT protected; the community is notified wherever they move. To be honest, I have not even heard many complaints from the pedophiles' rights side either. I guess it's pretty tough to make a case for such creeps.

The Connecticut list has been withdrawn by order of a Federal Judge. The court found that the list made no provisions for excluding or differentiating between serial rapists and things like 18 year olds who had consensual sex with 16 year olds or some other non-predatory crime, and tended to lump the two together.

I'd agree that such a law may not prevent a lot, but on the other hand, if you don't do anything, you get situations such as in the UK following the Sarah Payne murder when a newspaper started printing names and pictures of paedophiles, and people went crazy, trying to harm or kill them, and of course also attacking a few innocent men in the process.

I don't know much about the effectivness of these kinds of programs, but I know my state does have a community notification program. It's only for what they call "level 3" sex offenders.

At this site: http://www.corr.state.mn.us/level3/level3.asp
you can see who's listed for a particular county or city in the state. There's also some histroy of the program there if you're interested.

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
You'd think people would recognize him...I mean he IS the king of pop.

This reminds me of how Bono introduced "Bad" at the end of the Zooropa tour: "Michael Jackson, if you're out there...I don't believe you're bad...guilty before you've been given a chance" (etc. etc...I can't quite make out the rest of it from my recording)

Back
Top Bottom