The Real McCain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2387 said:

Actually the 40 million was well spent on prosecuting Bill.
He got him impeached, disbarred and will keep his wife from obtaining the presidency, money well spent for the future of our country- my hot headed little friend.

<>

Bluer White said:
Temperament is a big factor when I vote for a president.

McCain's reputation makes me uneasy.

:up:

i think temperament is totally different from "character" -- that seems to refer to the perception of chastity.

this is why i prefer Obama. his relative lack of experience aside (and we know that "experience" is malleable, and that it also gets you people like Cheney and Rumsfeld), he strikes me as being the coolest head in the room, the one not likely to say, on september 12th, "fuck it, we're going after Iraq." or whatever the 2008-2012 equivalent would be.

Strongbow said:
John McCain's extensive military service to the United States is NOT a mere footnote nor is it simply about his time as a POW during the Vietnam War. He is the most experienced person on the US military and national security in government today. He has over 50 years of uninterrupted service and experience on these issues.

again, experience can give you people like Cheney and Rumsfeld.

it's about leadership, judgment, and temperance.

joyfulgirl said:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/03/06/commander_in_chief/

McCain draws mixed reviews among military leaders, and they expressed serious doubts about whether McCain has the right temperament to be the next president and commander in chief. Some expressed more confidence in Obama, citing his temperament as an asset.

It is not difficult in Washington to find high-level military officials who have had close encounters with John McCain's temper, and who find it worrisome. Politicians sometimes scream for effect, but the concern is that McCain has, at times, come across as out of control. It It is difficult to find current or former officers willing to describe those encounters in detail on the record. That's because, by and large, those officers admire McCain. But that doesn't mean they want his finger on the proverbial button, and they are supporting Clinton or Obama instead.

"I like McCain. I respect McCain. But I am a little worried by his knee-jerk response factor," said retired Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, who was in charge of training the Iraqi military from 2003 to 2004 and is now campaigning for Clinton. "I think it is a little scary. I think this guy's first reactions are not necessarily the best reactions. I believe that he acts on impulse."

"I studied leadership for a long time during 32 years in the military," said retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Scott Gration, a one-time Republican who is supporting Obama. "It is all about character. Who can motivate willing followers? Who has the vision? Who can inspire people?" Gration asked. "I have tremendous respect for John McCain, but I would not follow him."

"One of the things the senior military would like to see when they go visit the president is a kind of consistency, a kind of reliability," explained retired Gen. Merrill McPeak, a former Republican, former chief of staff of the Air Force and former fighter pilot who flew 285 combat missions. McPeak said his perception is that Obama is "not that up when he is up and not that down when he is down. He is kind of a steady Eddie. This is a very important feature," McPeak said. On the other hand, he said, "McCain has got a reputation for being a little volatile." McPeak is campaigning for Obama.

Stephen Wayne, a political science professor at Georgetown who is studying the personalities of the presidential candidates, agrees McCain's temperament is of real concern. "The anger is there," Wayne said. If McCain is the one to answer the phone at 3 a.m., he said, "you worry about an initial emotive, less rational response."

Thanks for that, joyfulgirl. Very interesting to hear that perspective coming from military men.

This may also be why military leaders aren't in favor of McCain.

Not only has he refused to support the 21st Century GI Bill, which the Veterans of Foreign Wars endorsed last June, he has consistently voted against increasing funding for the Veterans’ Administration, which oversees all medical care for veterans:

– Voted AGAINST an amendment providing $20 billion to the VA’s medical facilities. [5/4/06]

– Voted AGAINST providing $430 million to the VA for outpatient care “and treatment for veterans,” one of only 13 senators to do so. [4/26/06]

– Voted AGAINST increasing VA funding by $1.5 billion by closing corporate loopholes. [3/14/06]

– Voted AGAINST increasing VA funding by $1.8 billion by ending “abusive tax loopholes.” [3/10/04]

– Voted AGAINST a $650 million increase in veterans’ medical care funding. [8/1/01]

Though McCain has derided progressive universal health care plans as “a government takeover,” he is mum on the success of the VA, a government-run, integrated approach that, as Paul Krugman put it, is “one of the few clear American success stories in the struggle to contain health care costs.”

Scarletwine said:
This may also be why military leaders aren't in favor of McCain.

Huh? :eyebrow: He's got over 100 former military leaders endorsing him, much more than Hillary and Obama.

Only in FYM would the idea be floated of finding fault with the character of a man who is battled test and true patriot for his country, only in FYM.

I often wonder if some of you take the metaphorical "short bus" to your computer monitors every morning.

<>

diamond said:
Only in FYM would the idea be floated of finding fault with the character of a man who is battled test and true patriot for his country, only in FYM.

<>

Incorrect. I've seen a lot of the same on DailyKos, Media Matters, Huffington Post, and I'm more and more starting to equate some of the stuff I read here to those sites.

diamond said:

Or in a campaign against George W...

Oh how the right forget...

2861U2 said:

Incorrect. I've seen a lot of the same on DailyKos, Media Matters, Huffington Post, and I'm more and more starting to equate some of the stuff I read here to those sites.

yes yes, i think that's where a lot garner their weak kneed talking points, then think they're brilliant and come post here.

next when challenged they go to the drama card, name calling and their indivual meltdowns then commence.

next day, same cycle.

pass me a cigar tim.

:wink:

diamond said:

I often wonder if some of you take the metaphorical "short bus" to your computer monitors every morning.

<>

i see. we're making fun of the handicapped now.

this, ladies and gentlemen, is a core value of the Republican Party -- making yourself feel better because of the misfortunes of others, the "i got mine, you can't have yours, now fuck off" entitlement crowd.

thank you diamond! :applaud:

diamond said:

yes yes, i think that's where a lot garner their weak kneed talking points, then think they're brilliant and come post here.

next when challenged they go to the drama card, name calling and their indivual meltdowns then commence.

next day, same cycle.

pass me a cigar tim.

:wink:

this? from someone who's routinely eviscerated in here?

2861U2 said:

considering you're quite open about how you liberally borrow from Limbaugh, it's hard not to think that you're hardly in a position to either be throwing stones or to fault others from taking their opinions from an echo chamber. ditto!

Diamond and 286 are like the dynamic duo of pointing to the other side and accusing the "others" of exactly what they themselves are doing... Maybe they don't have mirrors :shrug:

It's quite humurous.

Irvine511 said:

considering you're quite open about how you liberally borrow from Limbaugh, it's hard not to think that you're hardly in a position to either be throwing stones or to fault others from taking their opinions from an echo chamber. ditto!

I wasn't talking about listening to/posting on different news outlets. I could care less if people here check out some of those sites- Lord knows Keith Olbermann has the daily Media Matters postings sent directly into his teleprompter. I was just talking about some pretty mean things I've seen written here, similar to those I've seen on Kos, HP, etc.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Diamond and 286 are like the dynamic duo It's quite humurous.

039_45125~Batman-Robin-Posters.jpg

I'm Batman:angry:

Btw in 1987 Adam West came to the dealership in his Peugeot as that was one of the many brands we sold at the time in North Salt Lake, Utah. He tried to trade it in but wasn't in a strong enough equity postion. Sadly, even a fellow named 'diamond' couldn't save Batman that day-but I digress.

<>

Irvine511 said:

i see. we're making fun of the handicapped now.

thank you diamond! :applaud:

boobie-

thank you for proving my point at such an early hour.
i said metaphorically, however you jumped to the drama card straight away.

having had a father in a wheel chair, i'm sensitive to people with physical and mental needs and challenges.

i suggest that you stop trying to using people with their organic and genetic make up to advance your cause; it's quite disingenuous.

<>

Last edited:
diamond said:

boobie-

<>

That's the typical liberal defense. Ever eager to call someone a name or say they don't care about a certain group of people. So uptight.

One time in 4th grade, this African-American kid stole my pencil. I really didn't like that at all. I guess that makes me a racist. Or maybe he was too poor to buy his own school supplies. I guess I don't care about the poor, then.

diamond said:

boobie-

having had a father in a wheel chair, i'm sensitive to people with physical and mental needs and challenges.

i suggest that you stop trying to using people with their organic and genetic make up to advance your cause; it's quite disingenuous.

<>

sweet pea -- when you say the "metaphorical" bus, you are referencing something that exists in real life, and what you really meant to say was "proverbial." and your use of either word doesn't get away with the fact that you were using the idea of the "short bus" in an insulting manner, that you were saying that people who think differently from you are retards.

:hug:

it's okay, the english language can be tough.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:eyebrow: Like what?
Good question, I have yet to see any FYM lefties say that mercenaries slaughtered like pigs in Iraq had it coming because they ever so innocently pillaged, raped and murdered their way through the ashed out remains of a fascist state.

If there were more voices saying mean things like that it might raise somebodies awareness by hurting their feelings.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

That's the typical liberal defense. Ever eager to call someone a name or say they don't care about a certain group of people. So uptight.

delve into stereotypes much? do you look at the world and try to make events fit what you've already decided is reality?

did you get mugged by a typical black person?
did you get screwed over by a typical jew?
did you hate gay people like a typical christian?
did you get the curve on the math test reset by a typical asian?
did you get creationism taught to you like a typical Christian?

tell me, where does typicality end?

you realize, with this post, you've done exactly what you've accused me of doing?

and you've misunderstood. diamond loves to walk around and point to various things in history -- Lincoln, MLK, the inventing of the printing press -- and point to them as examples of what "core Republican values" are, regardless of fact or context. so to draw out some retard humor is also, i suppose, part of these "core Republican values."

2861U2 said:
One time in 4th grade, this African-American kid stole my pencil. I really didn't like that at all. I guess that makes me a racist. Or maybe he was too poor to buy his own school supplies. I guess I don't care about the poor, then.

This is a dangerous trap a lot of people fall into.

What you wrote is not true.

But, it is revealing of how you view things.

Why describe this kid by his race. :huh:

The African race did not get together to steal your pencil.

Why not say a Libra kid (if that is his astrological sign) stole your pencil.

A Coke drinking kid stole your pencil.

A Nikes shoe wearing kid stole your pencil.

A freckle faced kid stole your pencil.

A Republican kid stole your pencil.

The African race did not get together and vote to steal your pencil.

I am guilty of my own bias myself.
I often ask myself what difference it makes when I relate a story and include things like "race", "gay" or other descriptive that apply to a group.
Am I only talking about an individuals behavior?
If so, than the descriptive word had no value in the story.

Irvine511 said:

sweet pea -- when you say the "metaphorical" bus, you are referencing something that exists in real life, and what you really meant to say was "proverbial." and your use of either word doesn't get away with the fact that you were using the idea of the "short bus" in an insulting manner, that you were saying that people who think differently from you are retards.

:hug:

it's okay, the english language can be tough.

ouch, you got be on that one, sorta.

where we differ sweet cheeks is here:

i think one can start out in life riding on the proverbial big bus and by their actions wind up on a proverbial short bus, due to thinking inside the box instead of outside of the box. how about that hot shot?

my bus analogy was an intellectual one, so there.

and u did get all dramatic on me, how does memphis deal w/this?
:sexywink:

<>

More on McCain's temper here. It is worth reading. Seems like a balanced piece though I am unfamiliar with the source.
http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2007/1/10/182118.shtml

It's too long to quote here in its entirety but here are some of the more disturbing highlights:

Nowhere is that sentiment stronger than in the Senate, where McCain has few friends or supporters. In fact, when McCain ran for the Republican nomination for president in 2000, only four Republican senators endorsed him.

"I have witnessed incidents where he has used profanity at colleagues and exploded at colleagues," former Sen. Bob Smith told me for the article. A New Hampshire Republican, Smith served with McCain on the Senate Armed Services Committee, on a select committee on POWs missing in action, and on Republican policy committees.

"He would disagree about something and then explode," Smith said. "[There were] incidents of irrational behavior. We've all had incidents where we have gotten angry, but I've never seen anyone act like that."

"He had very few friends in the Senate," said former Sen. Smith, who dealt with McCain daily. "He has a lot of support around the country, but I don't think he has a lot of support from people who know him well."

"People who disagree with him get the f*** you," said former Rep. John LeBoutillier, a New York Republican who had an encounter with McCain when he was on a POW task force in the House. "I think he is mentally unstable and not fit to be president."

Democrat Paul Johnson, the former mayor of Phoenix, saw McCain's temper up close.

"His volatility borders in the area of being unstable," Johnson has said. ""Before I let this guy put his finger on the button, I would have to give considerable pause."

In 1992, Robin Silver and Bob Witzeman, both medical doctors, met with McCain at his Phoenix office to discuss the endangered Mount Graham red squirrel. At the mention of the issue, McCain erupted.

"He slammed his fists on his desk, scattering papers across the room," Silver said. "He jumped up and down, screaming obscenities at us for at least 10 minutes. He shook his fists as if he was going to slug us."

After Silver pointed out that his behavior was inappropriate, "He apologized and was contrite," Silver said.

McCain's office did not respond to my requests for comment about his anger.

However, when I appeared on Tucker Carlson's MSNBC show "The Situation" to discuss NewsMax's disclosures about McCain's anger on July 6, Carlson said on the air, "We got a call earlier tonight from McCain's Senate office suggesting that we not do this story. [They were] annoyed about it."

Intimidation Tactics

That hint at intimidation is one reason why major media outlets may think twice about revealing what they know about McCain's temper, which is widely whispered about in Washington. With the exception of NewsMax, no media outlet has been willing to suffer the possibility of lack of access to a candidate who could wind up in the White House by reporting the full story of McCain's dark side.

In the past, McCain has alternately denied being prone to angry outbursts or admitted he struggles to control his anger or has claimed he only becomes angry over waste and abuse. But those who have experienced his anger say it does not erupt over policy issues or waste and abuse. Rather, his outbursts manifest themselves when peers disagree with McCain or tell him they won't support him.

In his 2002 book, "Worth the Fighting For: A Memoir," McCain said, "I have a temper, to state the obvious, which I have tried to control with varying degrees of success because it does not always serve my interest or the public's."

But the Baltimore Sun quoted McCain on March 20 as denying he had a temper.

"Just because someone says it's there, you would have to provide some corroboration that it was," McCain said. "Because I do not lose my temper. I do not . . . for someone to say that McCain became just angry and yelled or raised my voice or — it's just not true," McCain said.

Just two days earlier, however, McCain said at a forum in Scottsdale, Ariz., "I have had a bad temper in my life." Saying he displayed his temper in his early days in office, McCain said, "Every time I ever lost my temper, I regretted it since then."

If McCain has trouble keeping his story straight, it has not detracted from his glowing press coverage. The media routinely portray McCain as an amiable war hero, a man of moderation and compassion.

In part because McCain gives reporters access and charms them with his apparent openness, and in part because they relish his periodic criticisms of President Bush's policies and of the FBI and CIA, the media have largely ignored McCain's anger issues and a string of inappropriate, offensive comments he has made.

So far, no one has claimed that McCain's temper has manifested itself openly in front of a reporter such as Purdum writing a story about him. Nor does McCain's temper compare with Clinton's or Giuliani's. McCain displays what colleagues describe as vicious, irrational behavior when they disagree with him. Clinton and Giuliani get mad at subordinates in a more controlled way when they think they have not done their jobs.

deep said:

This is a dangerous trap a lot of people fall into.

What you wrote is not true.

But, it is revealing of how you view things.

Why describe this kid by his race. :huh:

The African race did not get together to steal your pencil.

Why not say a Libra kid (if that is his astrological sign) stole your pencil.

A Coke drinking kid stole your pencil.

A Nikes shoe wearing kid stole your pencil.

A freckle faced kid stole your pencil.

A Republican kid stole your pencil.

The African race did not get together and vote to steal your pencil.

I am guilty of my own bias myself.
I often ask myself what difference it makes when I relate a story and include things like "race", "gay" or other descriptive that apply to a group.
Am I only talking about an individuals behavior?
If so, than the descriptive word had no value in the story.

is that why you can't vote for obama?
but slobber all over hillary, cause white ppl were nicer to you growing up while hillary has the personal ethics of a pit boss?

<>

Last edited:
diamond said:

Oh, so serving in the military and being a POW automatically means your character is wonderful and perfect?

Back
Top Bottom