The Quarter-Life Crises?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article847599.ece

Crying on the inside
They’re young, free, single — but are they having a great time? No, says Damian Barr, they’re suffering the ‘quarterlife crisis’

My hair is really long right now. So long I can chew it. And it’s big — Texan-televangelist big. Tons of wax and a westerly wind keep it vaguely under control. I don’t even like it. But I am resisting pressure to get it cut. Why? I am 27 and a half years old. If I get savaged by scissors now my hair will take two years to grow back. By then I’ll be nearly 30. Which means I’ll look like some twat trying to get down with the kids. This is my last chance to have long locks. So the mane stays, however inappropriate. It’s a trophy from my twenties.
We’ve no problem abandoning acne and all the ugly baggage of our teens. Au revoir to all that. Physically, socially and sexually, our twenties are supposed to be our peak. We twentysomethings are supposed to be hopping from gym to party to bed (with pauses in the boardroom). But it’s not like that.

It’s like this. You’re 25, but feel 45. You should be having the time of your life. But all you do is stress about your future-free job, scary debts, alleged friends and non-existent partner. If your life was a movie it would go straight to video. And nobody would rent it.

You’re not alone. Ask any twentysomething how they’re doing and they will bravely say, “fine”. They might well be. But scratch the surface and you’ll see that for many of us all is not fine. Not really. Far from roaring, your twenties are an extended mourning period. Wave goodbye to the metabolism which lets you eat anything and stay thin. Cry for the constitution which gets you over hangovers in hours not days. Watch in horror as your eyebrows turn to topiary. We stop growing and start ageing. And the freedom-responsibility balance tips as we are faced with the three Ms — mortgage, monogamy and marriage.

Feeling you should be having, doing or being more is the core of the “quarterlife crisis”. Suddenly, 30 is so close you can smell it and everyone is doing better than you (or seems to be). The excitement of graduation fades. Real life sets in. And it’s expensive, ugly and competitive. We feel stressed, inadequate and somehow not quite as good as our peers. We feel poorer, less successful and less together. We feel, even though we’re only twentysomething, that our lives are in crisis.

Why? Property has never been more expensive, work has never been so insecure and debt has never been so pervasive Yet we’re all supposed to be as carefree as the women in tampon adverts. “You worry too much,” says my mother, unaware of my five credit cards or the high-low realities of freelancing.

If, as we’re constantly told, the world is our oyster, it’s definitely a dodgy one. Unlike the midlife crisis, the quarterlife crisis is not widely recognised. There are are no “experts” to help us. We have no support apart from each other.

This is partly because no other generation has had a quarterlife crisis or graduated straight into such crippling debt — £12,700 on average and nearly £15,000 in London. No other generation has had so much choice or such great expectations. So we have become the experts on our own lives even when we expertly f*** them up. It’s just fine for your father to leave your mother for a motorbike half her age while she pursues her passion for home-shopping. But dare to share even a teensy bit of trauma and you’re slammed as self-indulgent. Apparently, we don’t know how lucky we are.

Researching my book, I travelled the UK talking to twentysomethings. There were, undoubtedly, some whiners. And I did want to slap a few trustafarians. But, 200 conversations later, it was clear. The quarterlife crisis is real: getting and keeping it together has never been harder.

Our twenties are not, as they were for our parents, ten years of tie-dye fun and quality me-time. Being twentysomething now is scary — fighting millions of other graduates for your first job, undergoing medical experiments to raise a mortgage deposit and finding time to juggle all your relationships.

We have the misfortune to be catapulted into a perilous property market. You will never have a home as big as the one you grew up in. The home your parents are secretly sucking equity from to fund painting holidays while you struggle to paint over the damp in your sixfigure studio flat.

Financially, the outlook is mixed. We’re earning more, and spending more, than ever. Now averaging £13,422 outside London, graduate salaries are great — even greater if you can find a graduate job. Gone are the days of raking in the bargain corner. No more dented tins. You’re off the breadline and on the focaccia line. It’s not easy, but it is easier.

That is partly because we use credit in ways our parents would never consider. Because we have to. For us, red is the new black — one in three callers to the National Debtline are now aged 25 to 30. Currently, I owe about £10,000 give or take £1,000. We’re getting into debt to finance our degrees, careers and accommodation. It’s not fun money. We need debt to live.

We are now also more likely to be depressed. The Depression Alliance says one in five adults is depressed at any time but it estimates that a third of twentysomethings have the doom. That didn’t used to be the case. Another cheery fact: suicide now accounts for a fifth of all deaths in this country by young people. That’s two twentysomethings a day.

Plenty of people are going to say the quarterlife crisis doesn’t exist. Let them. My father doesn’t believe in it. But consider that it’s not so long ago that the menopause, the midlife crisis and other life-stage problems were dismissed as self-indulgent. We’re convinced everyone else is having more (and better) sex, doing more (and better) drugs and generally having more fun than we are. And maybe they are. Our parents certainly did. But you aren’t the only twentysomething who hasn’t bought a great house, snared a gorgeous partner, paid off hideous debts and landed a dream job. In reality, few of us have. Most are just as freaked out as you are that your twenties are bigger, scarier and harder than promised. It’s just that nobody really talks about it. Until now.

So . . . you don’t know what you’re doing or where you’re going or whether you should buy a flat, get a pension or go travelling. Who cares? You have the rest of your life to work that s*** out. The decisions we make now are incredibly important, but they’re rarely irreversible. In the meantime, I think I’ll get my hair cut. Just a little bit shorter. I can always grow it back

Honestly, that sounds to me like a whiny sort of rant. Deal with it, man. I'm 32 now. At 27 I had car debt, credit card debt, a mortgage, student loans, a new wife, a new house, a new job. You just go day to day and deal with it. It's not a crisis, it's life.

I guess I should consider myself fortunate. I'm 25, and if all goes according to plan, I will have my car and student loans paid off by this fall. I live in a nice house with a great guy. I say with 100% confidence and honesty that I am happy. Finally.

I do worry that some big event could happen to take away some or all of what I have...but anything can happen, I can't dwell on it.

Fortune favours those who don't sit around whining ~ so get a book deal by publishing the whining of others.

Last edited:
Every period in life is hard. Maybe our parents spoiled my generation - I don't know.

But eventually you have to stand up on your own two feet. I have student debt, so, you don't buy expensive clothes, you work a lot during the summer and eventually you pay it back. Nobody needs to have a McMansion and a BMW by the time they're 28. Why anyone would want a McMansion in the suburbs is beyond me anyway.

You can live perfectly happy modestly. If you're an unhappy person, you could make a million and have a perfect spouse and still be unhappy. We can't control life or things that happen but we can control how we react to what happens to us.

Angela Harlem said:
Forgive me for not crying a river. It's adulthood. It's full of debt and real and actual hardships.

Part of the problem is generational, at least in America.

My parents' generation had job security, low tuition rates (if you even bothered to go to college; you could still live well on a high school diploma or a A.A. My uncle was considered "overeducated" in the early 1970s with a B.A.), guaranteed retirement pensions, full health benefits, and cheap cars. The only substantial debt my parents had was their mortgage (while my grandparents' generation didn't even need that; they were able to pay cash for their house).

For further evidence, I conversed with someone employed as a psychologist who was in his 60s. He related a story where he was able to work a regular student-type job for a summer to pay for an entire year's worth of a private university. Nowadays, you can't even remotely do that for a public university.

Today? We have massive student loans for college degrees that are little more than work permits for shitty jobs that pay crap, car loans if you live outside the few urban areas with reliable public transportation--and crushingly high rent prices if you live in those urban areas even for the most basic apartments, negating any savings from not having a car, no job security, no pensions (we have to hope that the stock market continues to go up, otherwise we don't retire), record-high real estate prices, and weak health insurance with lots of out-of-pocket costs.

Basically, it's not as cut-and-dry as it seems.

Last edited:
Ormus said:
The only substantial debt my parents had was their mortgage (while my grandparents' generation didn't even need that; they were able to pay cash for their house).

it stuns me that i'll have to pay around $400K for a one-bedroom (!!!) condo if i live inside the District, and nearly as much if i were to live in northern virginia. compare that to the house -- 3 bedroom house in a semi-uppity CT suburb -- i was born in that my father bought in 1977 for $65K. if i want to be responsible and put down a 20% payment on said condo, i'll have to save $80K. how one does that ... i don't know. this is probably why kids, wealthy kids, remain dependent upon their parents well into adulthood for things like down payments.

the reality is that, yes, adulthood is hard, and we shouldn't begrudge anyone any growing pains. we've all had them, and we learn from them. malaise will get you nowhere, and i have seen my financial situation improve dramatically over the past year due to a hard earned promotion, and if things continue to go as they should, things will continue to get better. being an adult, to me, seems to have everything to do with tenacity and the willingness to do the things you don't want to do.

but there is also the reality that, yes, it was easier for previous generations to afford things like houses, and it was also drastically easier to not only afford a college education but to be accepted into a top-tier school.

it's a vastly more competitive world today than it was in 1965, and i don't think a small amount of moaning is worthy of scorn. maybe a cup of hot chocolate, a pep talk and a pat on the back, but not scorn.

That's true Ormus, but a lot of those things have alternatives. You can buy a used car, avoid that debt - or use mass transit - no insurance either! Go to a state school and live at home, save a lot there. Get a cheaper apartment out in the suburbs, save a ton of money there. But people don't want the alternatives, they give into to the higher standards, so they get themselves into debt.

UberBeaver said:
That's true Ormus, but a lot of those things have alternatives. You can buy a used car, avoid that debt - or use mass transit - no insurance either! Go to a state school and live at home, save a lot there. Get a cheaper apartment out in the suburbs, save a ton of money there. But people don't want the alternatives, they give into to the higher standards, so they get themselves into debt.

Used cars are not cheap either. They still require a loan, unless you want a clunker--and then you'll be spending lots of money on car repairs.

Cities with viable mass transit are also expensive cities. Sky-high rent costs, coupled with expensive monthly mass transit passes (comparable to the monthly costs of car insurance in rural areas, in many cases) negate any potential savings.

State universities are not affordable either. Sure, they're more affordable than private schools, for the most part, but I still racked up $20,000 in student loans going to a public, in-state university.

That's the point: there are no alternatives to running up massive debt these days. The "Me Generation" got everything handed to them and burned all their bridges on the way out.

It makes me want to cut off their Social Security and Medicare benefits.

I agree with Ormus that things were much more affordable in prior generations. I worry about my kids and I hope that our relationship is good enough that they will stay home with me and save/keep out of debt in their early 20's.

How many parents these days are helping their kids with the sky-rocketing tuition? I'm not talking about parents who are themselves lower class and can't afford to help (although by comparison, we came here as refugees and my parents were not only poor but as Oprah says: "po" and they worked 2-3 jobs so we had no undergraduate debt, and didn't go on a vacation for 15 years...). I'm talking about friends of mine whose parents are at least middle-upper middle class and feel like when that kid hits 18, they're done. I know this is probably a cultural issue, and immigrants treat their kids differently, but I just don't understand at all how somebody can got to the Caribbean twice a year and drive a BMW and live in a McMansion and watch their 22 year old start life out $75K in the hole. It's incomprehensible to me, so I guess it's some kind of culture shock.

I can't wait until we have machines which can be hooked directly into the pleasure centre of the brain, so that people like this article writer can stop whining and sit in a dark room and receive unending pleasure and let the rest of us get on with our awesome lives now that they're not making up stupid terms for stupid concepts.

Ormus said:

Used cars are not cheap either. They still require a loan, unless you want a clunker--and then you'll be spending lots of money on car repairs.

Cities with viable mass transit are also expensive cities. Sky-high rent costs, coupled with expensive monthly mass transit passes (comparable to the monthly costs of car insurance in rural areas, in many cases) negate any potential savings.

Under $10k will get a good used car, and housing is significantly cheaper in some parts of country. The $400k for the 1BR DC condo(mentioned above) can buy a McMansion in somewhere like Raleigh or Austin. Another factor in increasing living costs is simply population growth concentrated in certain cities and regions.

while this isn't about finances, i think it does a good job illustrating the differences between "kids today" and the kids of 35 years ago:

[q]Young, Gifted, and Not Getting Into Harvard

By MICHAEL WINERIP

On a Sunday morning a few months back, I interviewed my final Harvard applicant of the year. After saying goodbye to the girl and watching her and her mother drive off, I headed to the beach at the end of our street for a run.

It was a spectacular winter day, bright, sunny and cold; the tide was out, the waves were high, and I had the beach to myself. As I ran, I thought the same thing I do after all these interviews: Another amazing kid who won’t get into Harvard.

That used to upset me. But I’ve changed.

Over the last decade, I’ve done perhaps 40 of these interviews, which are conducted by alumni across the country. They’re my only remaining link to my alma mater; I’ve never been back to a reunion or a football game, and my total donations since graduating in the 1970s do not add up to four figures.

No matter how glowing my recommendations, in all this time only one kid, a girl, got in, many years back. I do not tell this to the eager, well-groomed seniors who settle onto the couch in our den. They’re under too much pressure already. Better than anyone, they know the odds, particularly for a kid from a New York suburb.

By the time I meet them, they’re pros at working the system. Some have Googled me because they think knowing about me will improve their odds. After the interview, many send handwritten thank-you notes saying how much they enjoyed meeting me.

Maybe it’s true.

I used to be upset by these attempts to ingratiate. Since I’ve watched my own children go through similar torture, I find these gestures touching. Everyone’s trying so hard.

My reason for doing these interviews has shifted over time. When I started, my kids were young, and I thought it might give them a little advantage when they applied to Harvard. That has turned out not to be an issue. My oldest, now a college freshman, did not apply, nor will my twins, who are both high school juniors.

We are not snubbing Harvard. Even my oldest, who is my most academic son, did not quite have the class rank or the SATs. His SAT score was probably 100 points too low — though it was identical to the SAT score that got me in 35 years ago.

Why do I continue to interview? It’s very moving meeting all these bright young people who won’t get into Harvard. Recent news articles make it sound unbearably tragic. Several Ivies, including Harvard, rejected a record number of applicants this year.

Actually, meeting the soon-to-be rejected makes me hopeful about young people. They are far more accomplished than I was at their age and without a doubt will do superbly wherever they go.

Knowing me and seeing them is like witnessing some major evolutionary change take place in just 35 years, from the Neanderthal Harvard applicant of 1970 to today’s fully evolved Homo sapiens applicant.

There was the girl who, during summer vacation, left her house before 7 each morning to make a two-hour train ride to a major university, where she worked all day doing cutting-edge research for NASA on weightlessness in mice.

When I was in high school, my 10th-grade science project was on plant tropism — a shoebox with soil and bean sprouts bending toward the light.

These kids who don’t get into Harvard spend summers on schooners in Chesapeake Bay studying marine biology, building homes for the poor in Central America, touring Europe with all-star orchestras.

Summers, I dug trenches for my local sewer department during the day, and sold hot dogs at Fenway Park at night.

As I listen to them, I can visualize their parents, striving to teach excellence. One girl I interviewed described how her father made her watch the 2004 convention speeches by both President Bush and Senator John Kerry and then tell him which she liked better and why.

What kind of kid doesn’t get into Harvard? Well, there was the charming boy I interviewed with 1560 SATs. He did cancer research in the summer; played two instruments in three orchestras; and composed his own music. He redid the computer system for his student paper, loved to cook and was writing his own cookbook. One of his specialties was snapper poached in tea and served with noodle cake.

At his age, when I got hungry, I made myself peanut butter and jam on white bread and got into Harvard.

Some take 10 AP courses and get top scores of 5 on all of them.

I took one AP course and scored 3.

Of course, evolution is not the same as progress. These kids have an AP history textbook that has been specially created to match the content of the AP test, as well as review books and tutors for those tests. We had no AP textbook; many of our readings came from primary documents, and there was no Princeton Review then. I was never tutored in anything and walked into the SATs without having seen a sample SAT question.

As for my bean sprouts project, as bad it was, I did it alone. I interview kids who describe how their schools provide a statistician to analyze their science project data.

I see these kids — and watch my own applying to college — and as evolved as they are, I wouldn’t change places with them for anything. They’re under such pressure.

I used to say goodbye at my door, but since my own kids reached this age, I walk them out to their cars, where a parent waits. I always say the same thing to the mom or dad: “You’ve done a wonderful job — you should be very proud.” And I mean it.

But I’ve stopped feeling bad about the looming rejection. When my four were little, I used to hope a couple might go to Harvard. I pushed them, but by the end of middle school it was clear my twins, at least, were not made that way. They rebelled, and I had to learn to see who they were.

I came to understand that my own focus on Harvard was a matter of not sophistication but narrowness. I grew up in an unworldly blue-collar environment. Getting perfect grades and attending an elite college was one of the few ways up I could see.

My four have been raised in an upper-middle-class world. They look around and see lots of avenues to success. My wife’s two brothers struggled as students at mainstream colleges and both have made wonderful full lives, one as a salesman, the other as a builder. Each found his own best path. Each knows excellence.

That day, running on the beach, I was lost in my thoughts when a voice startled me. “Pops, hey, Pops!” It was Sammy, one of my twins, who’s probably heading for a good state school. He was in his wetsuit, surfing alone in the 30-degree weather, the only other person on the beach. “What a day!” he yelled, and his joy filled my heart.[/q]

They learn to do really well for the required testing but can they actually think; I know more than enough smart people who can regurgitate facts but couldn't have an original thought or put together the links.

Well, having taken the AP U.S. History test last year, I can say that critical thinking skills are required. You have to write 4 essays about different topics. There is, of course, a multiple choice section too.

That article is interesting because my dad and I talked about how much applying for college has changed since he went through the process. I will graduate from high school with around a 3.5 cumulative GPA, and I have taken this entire year of classes at a college instead of my high school. I had to fight to get into our top state school. On the other hand, when he went to college, he had a 3.3 or so GPA, and got into several different state colleges with no problems. He's only 38, and the stress put onto people my age has increased ten fold since then.

A_Wanderer said:
They learn to do really well for the required testing but can they actually think; I know more than enough smart people who can regurgitate facts but couldn't have an original thought or put together the links.

I am sorry
But I can not recall the response
to your baseless accusation.

It wasn't a slight against them, I don't know them - and they sound like accomplished and intelligent people who fall under a very high bar for whatever circumstance - the first part of the quote is a question without a question mark. The second part is a statement in regards to people that I know who did well in their high school exams but had trouble adapting to university level studies, very well prepared and adept at exams but struggled with lit reviews and all the leg work when it wasn't layed out for them to remember.

Everything is learned - perhaps phrasing it as "With all the effort put into their end of year exams do they gain the skills needed to succeed when they get into university" would be better.

Last edited:
anitram said:
How many parents these days are helping their kids with the sky-rocketing tuition? I'm not talking about parents who are themselves lower class and can't afford to help (although by comparison, we came here as refugees and my parents were not only poor but as Oprah says: "po" and they worked 2-3 jobs so we had no undergraduate debt, and didn't go on a vacation for 15 years...). I'm talking about friends of mine whose parents are at least middle-upper middle class and feel like when that kid hits 18, they're done. I know this is probably a cultural issue, and immigrants treat their kids differently, but I just don't understand at all how somebody can got to the Caribbean twice a year and drive a BMW and live in a McMansion and watch their 22 year old start life out $75K in the hole. It's incomprehensible to me, so I guess it's some kind of culture shock.
I see you've met my parents.

The article about Harvard, I believe, ignores the fact that college admissions, and especially graduate program admissions, are often ridiculously politicized; in this instance, the generations preceding that of new applicants creates a great deal of stress and uncontrollable obstacles for the latter.
In any case, debt is also often the result of certain social assumptions- i.e., the only way to happiness is through a lavish wedding, a new SUV, and a spatious suburban house- that are startlingly pervasive. I understand that many are forced into debt simply to have a chance at making their way in the world, but it seems to me that many also place themselves into significant debt based on these assumptions. A friend of mine, for instance, just decided to build a $300k, four bedroom house with his fiance; this is in addition to a $25k car that he recently purchased. To me, all of this is pure superfluity- in his mind, however, this is what young, business-casual type people are expected to do.

cdisantis83 said:
The article about Harvard, I believe, ignores the fact that college admissions, and especially graduate program admissions, are often ridiculously politicized; in this instance, the generations preceding that of new applicants creates a great deal of stress and uncontrollable obstacles for the latter.

can you explain this further?

Irvine511 said:

can you explain this further?

Faculty involved with graduate admissions sometimes allow feuds or personal agendas to influence who will be admitted and who will not. For instance, a student that would work with a specific professor may be vetoed by another professor that is looking to spite him or her, or perhaps to promote the growth of their own program over others, etc. This certainly is not always the case, but I have been assured that it happens more than one would like to believe. Furthermore, with budget cuts and state funding issues, many programs are prioritized by administration, resulting in many qualified individuals being kept out owing simply to the glamour of their disciplines. Realistically, there is quite a bit of luck involved with being accepted into graduate programs, especially those with strong reputations. As with anything else, egos can get out of control in academia.

cdisantis83 said:

Faculty involved with graduate admissions sometimes allow feuds or personal agendas to influence who will be admitted and who will not. For instance, a student that would work with a specific professor may be vetoed by another professor that is looking to spite him or her, or perhaps to promote the growth of their own program over others, etc. This certainly is not always the case, but I have been assured that it happens more than one would like to believe. Furthermore, with budget cuts and state funding issues, many programs are prioritized by administration, resulting in many qualified individuals being kept out owing simply to the glamour of their disciplines. Realistically, there is quite a bit of luck involved with being accepted into graduate programs, especially those with strong reputations. As with anything else, egos can get out of control in academia.

it's for the above reasons that i decided not to go into academia.

but does this happen as much in undergrad admissions? to my mind, being admitted to Harvard undergrad is a much more impressive admit than to any Harvard graduate program, and that includes the Law and Medical schools.

Probably not so much with undergraduates, but I would be willing to bet that there is some degree of politicking that goes on with undergrad admissions to somewhere like Harvard. With all of the outstanding applicants that they receive, it is probably unavoidable.

Here in Australia there is a similar trend happening. Undergraduate university courses are mainly offered under the HECS scheme, where you can take out what is effectively an interest free loan every semester, and when you are earning a certain wage an extra amount comes out of your tax until the debt is paid off. If you pay up front at the beginning of semester, you pay less. You also get a discount if you make a lump-sum payment later.

I was lucky. My gran saw the value in me going to uni and paid some of my fees up front so my debt wasn’t as large. When I got a good job (only on a six month contract mind you), I paid that debt off in no time, as well my car loan.

However, at nearly 32, I’m not so well off. I’m not badly off by any means – my only debt is the mortgage my husband and I took out last September on a very modest house in a modest suburb. In recent months interest rates have been steadily rising here, and while we can still easily afford our mortgage because we were sensible when we bought a property, it still hurts that we can’t pay it off as quickly as we would like. We have 2 cars because we both work in places where public transport is not an option. We don’t have a McMansion, no big screen plasma tv with surround sound, don’t eat out all the time, neither of us has ever bought a new car, and we haven’t been on holiday since our honeymoon over 2 years ago. Our wedding was kindly funded by my parents, and we came in well under the $10 000 limit we were given.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m quite happy with what I’ve got and don’t want all those trappings anyway. (Well, a holiday would be nice :wink: ) But in annoys the heck out of me when people assume that all young people today are in huge amounts of debt because they do have all those trappings. And it also annoys me that people running up huge amounts of debt on their credit cards and personal loans buying all those trappings are the ones forcing interest rates up, which has an effect on those of us with mortgages but doesn’t seem to be doing a huge amount to slow such spending, which is what the interest rate rises are supposed to be doing!

There also sometimes seems to be a lack of understanding that not all of us have the option of moving to a rural area. My husband and I lived in a rural area for 18 months. But to work in the field I really wanted to work in we had to come back to Brisbane, and there were also family reasons for returning to our home town.

Sorry if this has turned into a real rant – it is a product not only of some of the comments made here, but also of the kind of rubbish that is frequently spewed out by others here in Australia in the media. I guess I’m just saying we shouldn’t all be tarred with the same brush.

anitram said:

I go to college in a little over two years. My family is upper middle class. I am not getting any money for college from my family.

I will say, 95% of the people I talk to, if not more, will receive money for college from their parents. 80% of them are having them paid entirely.

Lucky bastards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom