The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
Excerpt: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3881738/
040105_schlessinger_book_vsm_2p.vsmall.jpg

I would read this book if I didn't have to buy it.

:down: Dr. Laura :down:

That was hilarious! Leaving aside the condescending, sexist idea that women are there to cook, keep house and jump into bed whenever their husband wants them to, this sentence in particular pissed me off:

or if it's okay to cut him off from sex because they're annoyed about something or just too tired from their busy day

Yes it bloody well is. Apparently our dear Dr Laura isn't familiar with the idea that sex is CONSENSUAL and people are entitled to say no at whatever time and for whatever reason they damn well please. So yes, being tired or in a bad mood is a perfectly good reason to tell your husband to piss off and it's ridiculous for Dr Laura to imply otherwise. :rolleyes:

All "Dr." Laura needs is a burqa and she'd fit in perfectly with Taliban-era Afghanistan.

BTW, "Dr." Laura is not a psychologist nor a psychiatrist. Her doctorate is in Physiology only. She is also a licensed MFCC (Marriage, Family, Child Counselor) but not a psychologist. This has been a great misconception of Laura Schlessinger which she has in many ways been willing to perpetuate and exploit. Even when she was in the TV listings she was being called a Psychotherapist, which is totally inaccurate.

Another religious fanatic trying to pose as a professional; thus making a mockery of science in the process.

Melon

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

I like to read things I disagree with.

I have never gotten a complaint from a male listener in twenty-five years on the radio over my assertion that men are very simple creatures. They agree.

:rolleyes:

Probably because the men who aren't 'very simple creatures' aren't listening to her.

She's no worse than the opposite camp telling women they must be out in the workforce proving themselves, shattering the glass ceilings of the world, eating men for breakfast...I wish these people would all fuck off and stop telling women to adhere ot one stereotype or another. It doesn't matter which one. Be Mrs Housewife, or be Ms CEO. Just be whatever the hell makes you happy. There is nothing wrong with either. there is something wrong with individuals and groups who feel they have a civic duty to drill any stereoptype into any person, male or female.

:rolleyes: she is CRAZY

to actually take something like this seriously? She sounds like Howard Stern!

"Men are only interested in two things: If I'm not horny, make me a sandwich."
-- John

:barf:

What a way to degrade both men and women. :down:

melon said:
Even when she was in the TV listings she was being called a Psychotherapist, which is totally inaccurate.

She seems to go so far as to call herself Psychotherapist:

As a radio talk-show host/psychotherapist, I've got to tell you how remarkably true and sad it is that so many women struggle to hold on to some jerk....

I agree with Angela about the whole "women/men must be one or the other" and God forbid they be both. A relationship goes both ways, both have to support and respect each other. The way 'dr' laura talks it's all down to the woman to conform and sacrifice for "you know, the guy who slays dragons for her and their child every day."

:|

If "Dr" Laura posted here, I'd edit ignore list her. :D

Angela, very good point.

I do wonder though, why it's still so much harder for women to balance work and family. Men have never been asked to choose.

sd

Sherry Darling said:
I do wonder though, why it's still so much harder for women to balance work and family. Men have never been asked to choose.

A lot of men abdicate their family responsibilities and lose out on the real wealth (beyond $$) a family brings.

Absolutely, NBC. Housework and childcare is a partnership. You've provided a good example of how sexist assumptions hurt men as well as women.

sd

nbcrusader said:

A lot of men abdicate their family responsibilities and lose out on the real wealth (beyond $$) a family brings.

So true, and it has a terrible effect on their children, as I know too well :|

Yes, marriage should ideally be a true partnership, but sadly there are many people who still don't see it that way, even younger people. I think the most influential factor is the kind of relationship your parents have, and especially the influence mothers have on sons. I think these issues should be discussed thoroughly (expectations, etc) before people get married.

oliveu2cm said:
She seems to go so far as to call herself Psychotherapist:

Well, at least half of that word describes her well...;) :p.

Anywho, seriously, I agree with the others. The best relationships are ones in which both people are equal in their respect and support and love of the other, and who are equal in the workload they may take on. :yes:.

Angela

nbcrusader said:

You're so right. I've seen that happen. Sexism hurts both sexes, not just women.

Angela Harlem said:
She's no worse than the opposite camp telling women they must be out in the workforce proving themselves, shattering the glass ceilings of the world, eating men for breakfast...I wish these people would all fuck off and stop telling women to adhere ot one stereotype or another. It doesn't matter which one. Be Mrs Housewife, or be Ms CEO. Just be whatever the hell makes you happy. There is nothing wrong with either. there is something wrong with individuals and groups who feel they have a civic duty to drill any stereoptype into any person, male or female.

I agree. I don't see why a woman with children should necessarily be out there climbing the corporate ladder or whatever. Someone I know of who's made the wise choice is Mary Matalin, the Republican who's married to James Carville. She quit her job with Dick Cheney so she could stay home with her children and just be a mother. I read an article she wrote about this. She was so much happier being a mother than she was in a high-power position. She just loves her life with her children and her husband. It was a very wise choice on her part, and I just wish more women would make choices based on what they want as opposed to trying to impress other people all the time.

I had some unpleasant (and I'm being generous) interactions with both "Dr." Laura and her husband when I worked in publishing. :no: :down:

verte76 said:

...and I just wish more women would make choices based on what they want as opposed to trying to impress other people all the time.

I've never met a professional woman who was trying to impress anyone by climbing the corporate ladder - but rather, because a career is truly what she wanted to do in life, and because of society's continual evolution in that respect towards women, they are now able to be hired for more jobs and succeed at them.

As for me, I am a professional who is living with my boyfriend of the past 5 years. I am truly doing what I want in life. I have never wanted to be anyone's wife or mother.

:shrug:

I want to be a housewife.

But Sam wants to be a househusband, so I think we're both just supremely lazy. :wink:

And I agree completely about the people who criticize women who CHOOSE to stay at home or couples who choose to have children. :down:

HelloAngel said:

I've never met a professional woman who was trying to impress anyone by climbing the corporate ladder - but rather, because a career is truly what she wanted to do in life, and because of society's continual evolution in that respect towards women, they are now able to be hired for more jobs and succeed at them.

As for me, I am a professional who is living with my boyfriend of the past 5 years. I am truly doing what I want in life. I have never wanted to be anyone's wife or mother.

I'm not saying that women who are climbing the corporate ladder are just out to impress people or whatever. I'm just stating a hypothetical situation in which Woman X, or Man X for that matter, might be ignoring his or her emotional needs to try to impress other people. I should know, I have done this myself, and it's a drag. I had to make some big time changes to stop self-destructive tendencies. Ugh. I don't want anyone else to make this mistake.

I agree that people getting married have mutual respect for each other and be what they want to be, not conform to what some expert tells us, I have been married for 21 years, I am a housewife and a mother but that was my choice.. and I don't have a problem with other women having different choices, career or whatever, I done what makes me happy and it has worked out fine, best of all my husband is also my best friend, and we always manage to pull each other up when one of us is down, we never let anything come between us and our relationship, we still holds hand in public and always tell each other every day how much we love and appreciate each other
and we reckon we are pretty lucky to keep our relationship fresh and fun and still going... and I would not follow any advice from some woman who wrote a book, I will just follow my heart:)

verte76 said:

I'm not saying that women who are climbing the corporate ladder are just out to impress people or whatever. I'm just stating a hypothetical situation in which Woman X, or Man X for that matter, might be ignoring his or her emotional needs to try to impress other people. I should know, I have done this myself, and it's a drag. I had to make some big time changes to stop self-destructive tendencies. Ugh. I don't want anyone else to make this mistake.

I'm sure that happens to a great extent.. but I also think that there are many of us out there who have the supreme emotional need to be a workaholic professionally like myself. I am never more happy than when I am working. Domestic life, whenever I have to deal with it on the weekends makes me miserable.

Back
Top Bottom