The Political Correctness of PJs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I know, who cares.. but at least it's something different to discuss :wink:

I don't think I've ever worn PJ pants in public as much as I'd love to. And thinking about wearing footy PJs in public ("And some young people also have told her they plan to wear the one-piece, footed PJs to school".), well that seems a bit odd unless you're 1-3 years old

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/09/22/pjs.public.ap/index.html

"Public pajama-wearing grew out of college students' long-standing habit of rolling out of bed and into class. Now pajamas are a fashion statement, with such retailers as Old Navy, Target and J.C. Penney offering myriad styles for adults, teens and preteens.

The trend isn't popular with everyone, though. School officials from Houston County, Georgia, to Katy, Texas, to Southfield, Michigan, to Bakersfield, California, have banned pajama-wearing at school.

And even some under-30s think it's inappropriate to wear them anywhere but home.

"It isn't a matter of being too casual," says Olga Shmuklyer, a 28-year-old New Yorker who readily acknowledges to being a member of the "flip-flop" generation. She simply thinks pajamas aren't flattering, for anyone. "They look like vagrants," says Shmuklyer, whose own college-age sister wears pajamas in public, much to her "dismay."

Haha...well I wear pajamas to school every now and then. This despite the school's ban on them. But it is clear that dress code is becoming hard to enforce in many schools, because of what the administration would consider 'rampant infractions' on the part of the student body.

This is the strangest thing I've ever heard. Where is the fashion police when you need them? :ohmy:

U2democrat said:
I almost always go to my 8am class in my PJs, which is usually sweatpants and a t-shirt. :shrug:

I wouldn't do that in public though.

So you don't consider your 8am class to be in public? :hmm:

I've always been prissy I guess. I'm just too vain to wear unflattering clothing in public. Just sitting here at my desk I suddenly need to apply some lip-liner. I even like to look good at home in case I catch my reflection in the window. I'm hopeless, really.

i think it's the ultimate in slothfulness, and i wouldn't be caught dead in pjs in public, ever. i think the only fashion statement that makes is "i just couldn't be bothered."

/overopinionated fashionista :wink:

but hey, to each their own. and at least pj pants cover people's arses, unlike some other articles of clothing that people deem fit to wander around town in.

i do think, though, that the PJ fad is for the college-aged set only.

once they graduate and get high paying consulting jobs in NYC, Boston, SF, LA, etc., their wardrobe changes considerably.

As someone who has been completely aghast at the belly-baring T-shirts, ruffled miniskirts, and platform shoes I've seen on girls as young as five or six, I'm all for gals going to school in sweatshirts and PJ pants...at least they'll be decently covered.

nbcrusader said:
As if children do not have enough distractions in their education.

:eyebrow: How is this a distraction? I mean really all we're talking about is different material. What's the real difference between pants and pj pants?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:eyebrow: How is this a distraction? I mean really all we're talking about is different material. What's the real difference between pants and pj pants?

I guess I'd leave that to the school adminstrators.

I agree w/ what pax said, seems to me those kind of outfits on girls and guys w/ their droopy drawered butt crack hanging out would be much more distracting than PJ's

What is in the imagination is far more distracting especially when you're a teenager and even PJs can be sexual (well they can when you're an adult too but that's a whole other story), but that's a product of natural human thoughts.

Heh....we have homecoming week at my high school next week and Monday is "Pajama Day".

Wear your PJs to school if you have school spirit!!!!

I got in trouble for wearing PJ pants to school one day my sophomore year of high school. Of course that was the first day they decided to start cracking down on it. It was during exam week, and it had been sort of a tradition to just go to the exam in your PJs. I was only going to be in school for 1 exam, and i still got my name taken down by the principal. My friend who was with me, who was also in PJ pants, managed to run away before he could get her name too :madspit:

Nothing ever happened to me though :shrug:

At my school, if you wear PJ's (or break dress code in any other way) to school they make you change into an old P.E. uniform that is always too big. But it's really funny if a guy's pants are sagging, because an admin. will tie pink rope around their waist to hold the pants up...:wink:

they need to find better ways to occupy their time on the school board. Of all the silly issues, this is the most foolish. These school districts probably have also banned playing dodgeball and christmas parties.

Take on some real issues, like discovering what cafeteria chicken nuggets are really made out of :wink:

If what we wear reflects our inner state, and I believe it does, what does wearing pajamas to school suggest? Like if my house is a mess it's usually because my mind is in disorder (not true for everyone, of course). When I shower and put on clean, ironed clothes I feel more clear-headed and ready for the day's challenges. When I'm in pajamas I am definitely comfortable but also in a lounge around the house mood--or going to bed. I think if I were a parent I'd probably not interfere too much with current fashion trends but I'd probably ask my kids to at least think about it and to monitor their attitude/state of mind when wearing pajamas to school, for example, vs. wearing better clothing, and let them decide for themselves if there is any difference in their learning/attention span/etc.

This has caught on at my college--which is ironic, given that we all have to commute there as there are no dorms. I can understand it if you live on campus and have an early class, but when you have to drive there? It's only girls who do it, I guess guys sleep in their underwear. :wink:

Weirdly, on my campus, we then have the opposite of girls decked out like they are going clubbing, down to the stiletto boots and fringe tops.

Girls like me, in t-shirts and jeans, are freaks. :|

Pajamas are instruments of Satan. They should go to school wearing only the suit that God made them in. :shame:

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Perhaps NBC was referring to what you usually sleep in being distracting.... :wink:

joyfulgirl said:
If what we wear reflects our inner state, and I believe it does, what does wearing pajamas to school suggest? Like if my house is a mess it's usually because my mind is in disorder (not true for everyone, of course). When I shower and put on clean, ironed clothes I feel more clear-headed and ready for the day's challenges. When I'm in pajamas I am definitely comfortable but also in a lounge around the house mood--or going to bed. I think if I were a parent I'd probably not interfere too much with current fashion trends but I'd probably ask my kids to at least think about it and to monitor their attitude/state of mind when wearing pajamas to school, for example, vs. wearing better clothing, and let them decide for themselves if there is any difference in their learning/attention span/etc.

Putting on "good" clothes never worked that way for me...it just made/makes me uncomfortable. And if I'm uncomfortable all I'm thinking about is how miserable I am. :shrug:

Guess it's different for each person.

Back
Top Bottom