The Official "Pick the Next SCOTUS Nominee" FYM Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Please insert your educated guesses, wild speculations, and deepest, darkest fantasies about the next SCOTUS nominee here. Want someone who will suspend habeas corpus and personally erect a stone tablet with the 10 Commandments on it in your front yard? Or do you fancy someone who counts pro-choice rallies and secretly performing gay marriages among their hobbies? Come on down! :wink:

Seriously...who will get the call next?

EDUCATED GUESS: Alberto Gonzales (if Bush decides not to swing hard right) or Priscilla Owen (if he does).

WILD SPECULATION: Edith Brown Clement (she deserves it after being the "bait" for the Roberts nomination, and looking a bit more likely after Laura Bush and Sandra Day O'Connor have both called for a female nominee)

DEEPEST, DARKEST FANTASY: 9th Circuit Judge Lawrence Karlton :wink:

It'll be a hardcore conservative who doesn't like to answer questions.

Melon

Alan Shore-now that would be an interesting and wildly sexy Supreme Court judge :wink:

I don't know much about any of the possibilities.. I just want someone who is fair, reasonable, humble, and moderate, and just there to do their job - not to carry out their own moral/political agenda. I would love to see a woman get the nod.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Alan Shore-now that would be an interesting and wildly sexy Supreme Court judge :wink:

Ah, good. A pragmatist. Pull a rabbit out of a hat. Besides he looks very good in black and can you imagine the opinions?

Last edited:
judge%20judy.JPG

we'll get a far-right, minority judicial activist.

the country is finally united again -- against the gross incompetence of the Bush administration (really, what's going on? seems like no one's minding the store ... we're seeing Bush Raw, sans handlers and scripters and lighting technicians), and against government at all levels.

time to whip out the "moral values" card and stir up the base and re-polarize the country.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

the country is finally united again -- against the gross incompetence of the Bush administration (really, what's going on? seems like no one's minding the store ... we're seeing Bush Raw, sans handlers and scripters and lighting technicians), and against government at all levels.

time to whip out the "moral values" card and stir up the base and re-polarize the country.

The next appointment will be more centrist than Roberts. That would further deflate the Dem's political ammo against the GOP in the next election.

Just like a hurricane grows strength over warm water, Rove knows the Dems will gain strength hovering over a "far-right" appointment.

The game will be how to paint any proposed nominee as "far right". We will get the "out of touch with the mainstream" message again.

nbcrusader said:

The next appointment will be more centrist than Roberts. That would further deflate the Dem's political ammo against the GOP in the next election.

Just like a hurricane grows strength over warm water, Rove knows the Dems will gain strength hovering over a "far-right" appointment.

The game will be how to paint any proposed nominee as "far right". We will get the "out of touch with the mainstream" message again.

interesting analysis.

am most curious to see which political strategy is employed.

however, how much longer can Bush afford to keep alienating both sides of the Republican base -- the social conservatives (roe v wade) and the fiscal conservatives ($200b on Katrina)?

Bush Near End of O'Connor Successor Search

President Bush, nearing the end of his search for a successor to retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, has whittled his list to a handful of candidates and could announce his decision by week's end.

"We have been listening to the views and ideas of members of the Senate, and the president will take those into account as he makes a decision about who should fill that vacancy," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Tuesday.

Bush is expected to announce his nominee quickly after Thursday's anticipated confirmation and swearing in of John Roberts as chief justice, the president's first pick for the nation's top court.

Bush advisers have consulted with nearly 70 senators, including 17 members of the 18-member Judiciary Committee, McClellan said. He declined to list people the president has interviewed or discuss his list of favorites.

Legal analysts monitoring the selection process, however, say the list has been narrowed to about five or six candidates, mostly federal appellate judges and a few individuals who have never worn a judicial robe.

Often mentioned are federal appellate judges Alice Batchelder, J. Michael Luttig, Edith Jones, J. Harvie Wilkinson, Priscilla Owen, Samuel Alito, Karen Williams and Michael McConnell.

Also said to be under consideration are corporate attorney Larry Thompson, White House counsel Harriet Miers, Michigan Supreme Court Justice Maura Corrigan and Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

Corrigan05.jpg

Corrigan seems well qualified, but unfortunately, that no longer counts for much.

I think the broach will gain more attention than her qualifications.

nbcrusader said:
Corrigan05.jpg

Corrigan seems well qualified, but unfortunately, that no longer counts for much.

I think the broach will gain more attention than her qualifications.

yes, Christians have such a tough time expressing their beliefs in the US.

I REALLY hope it's not Priscilla Owen. I'd prefer Corrigan or Gonzales out of the current crop of names being floated around.

Harriet Miers is another name that until now looked like a major long shot.

Irvine511 said:

Funny, I always thought handlers were only necessary for drug-addled celebrities.

From Reuters:

In an Oval Office ceremony with Miers at his side, Bush credited her with breaking down barriers to women in the Texas legal profession, becoming the first woman to head her Dallas law firm, the first woman president of the Dallas Bar Association and the first woman elected president of the state bar of Texas.

"I believe that senators of both parties will find that Harriet Miers' talent, experience and judicial philosophy make her a superb choice to safeguard the constitutional liberties and quality of all Americans," Bush said.

He called on the Senate to conduct her confirmation hearings with "the same respect and civility" granted his nominee for U.S. chief justice, John Roberts, who was confirmed last week in time for the opening of the Supreme Court's new term on Monday.

and

A senior administration official said the name of Miers came up in consultations with both Republican and Democratic senators as someone who could win bipartisan support.

The official also said some senators from both parties thought it was important for Bush to pick someone who was not a judge and could offer a different perspective on the job.

how exciting! and unpredictable! another Bush crony! another indentured servant! and no paper trail!

i'm sure she'll do a heckuva job!

(seriously, does Bush know more than 6 people? a brief perusing of conservative blogs this morning has left me with the distinct impression that the conservatives are at best underwhelmed, which might be a good thing ...)

Irvine511 said:
another Bush crony! another indentured servant! and no paper trail!

Riiiiggghhtt, cuz Bush is the only politician or president to do such a thing. Look at FDR's picks for the Supreme Court for example. No president is going to pick someone who has an approach totally different from their's. For example, I suppose that you would pick a hardcore conservative if you were Pres, right? So that way no one could accuse you of what you are accusing Bush?

Ft. Worth Frog said:

Riiiiggghhtt, cuz Bush is the only politician or president to do such a thing. Look at FDR's picks for the Supreme Court for example. No president is going to pick someone who has an approach totally different from their's. For example, I suppose that you would pick a hardcore conservative if you were Pres, right? So that way no one could accuse you of what you are accusing Bush?

you're missing my point.

it has NOTHING to do with an ideology in line with the president. of course, you're right, ALL presidents do that.

the difference, here, is that she has been in Bush's back pocket for over a decade. she's a loyalist, every bit as much as Gonzales is. and there's really no evidence that she'd be a good SC Justice other than that Bush says she would be.

Irvine511 said:
it has NOTHING to do with an ideology in line with the president. of course, you're right, ALL presidents do that.

the difference, here, is that she has been in Bush's back pocket for over a decade. she's a loyalist, every bit as much as Gonzales is. and there's really no evidence that she'd be a good SC Justice other than that Bush says she would be.

Cause her qualifications don't matter at this point.

Back
Top Bottom