The official Election Day 2006 thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
woooohooo CNN finally gave me obama.

(sorry for the excessive posting, I'm all alone in my dark living room at nearly 5am, me, the tv and the computer. I need some company in celebrating :))

anitram said:
I flipped over to Fox News for a moment. They all look like their dog died.

:giggle:

The Dems are doing well in Michigan so far, although the results for the proposals so far are opposite of what I voted....

onebloodonelife said:
Noting on some important state races in Wisconsin, these are both pretty early, but nonetheless...

Death penalty: so far Yes for reinstating :sigh:
"Gay Marriage" amendment: also Yes :sigh:

I thought Wisconsin was better than that :( Also the post's ballot initiative coverage doesn't include the death penalty, I had no idea that was up for a vote.

On the bright side KOs has us halfway there in the house now.

redhotswami said:
Sheesh!!!! Is there any friggin state that said NO to the marriage amendment??? :eyebrow: WTF.

Yeah and thursday MA legislators could vote to send it to a vote next year that could put a ban on the 2008 MA ballot.

But it will never get there, and if it does, it ain't passing.

redhotswami said:
Sheesh!!!! Is there any friggin state that said NO to the marriage amendment??? :eyebrow: WTF.

Putting minority rights to a vote is always a disaster. I have my doubts that the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments to the Constitution, which ended slavery and gave blacks civil rights, would ever have passed had their passage not been a condition for the former Confederate states' readmission into the union.

Considering it took nearly 100 years for them to be fully enforced tends to add to my doubts.

Sherwood in PA goes down and Foley's seat has been conceded by teh R write-in candidate to the Dems. Add those to what KOs has and it's 10 for the dems, though CNN has it at 9.

They're talking about Nancy Pelosi being the first female speaker of the house. :hyper:

Varitek said:

I thought Wisconsin was better than that :( Also the post's ballot initiative coverage doesn't include the death penalty, I had no idea that was up for a vote.

So did I. :sad:

CNN has projected the "gay marriage" amendment to go Yes. I'm so upset about this because there's also some language in the amendment that goes like this: "a legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized in this state." So, basically, people who are unmarried, even if they have been together for many, many years, will have no legal rights when making decisions (medical, etc.)

It's horrible that people who have been married for one day have more legal rights than people who have been together for 20 years. And, obviously horrible that we "ban" gay marriage, even though the Wisconsin Constitution already restricts marriage to between an man and woman :rolleyes: It was just called a gay marriage amendment to get people angry and out to vote.

I find it interesting that FOX News, of all people, have been more quick to call contested House races in favor of the Democrats than CNN. FOX News states currently that there's only one to go for them. CNN gives five to go.

At least on the websites.

yay dems

looks like senate might stay republican though, but thats just my own interpretation of data I've seen

So will assuming congress is split between two different parties, how effective will it be in passing legislation since this past congress has been criticized as a do nothing congress even though one party controlled both houses?

For instance, here in Canada, some of our most effective Parliaments have come from minority governments, not all the time but sometimes.

Plus Bush has the veto. So will this just be much ado about nothing?

I'm Ready said:
looks like senate might stay republican though, but thats just my own interpretation of data I've seen

I know. An unlikely addition, though, might be Montana. Their exit polls and current data shows that they might oust their incumbent Republican senator.

trevster2k said:
So will assuming congress is split between two different parties, how effective will it be in passing legislation since this past congress has been criticized as a do nothing congress even though one party controlled both houses?

We will probably have gridlock. In fact, Wall Street is praying for just that.

I'm not too confident about the senate either but we're going to have the house decisively. One thing that's really cool is New Hampshire - 1 was supposed to be safe for the repubs and 2 was a cointoss - but we've got 2 in the bag and 1 is very, very close.

Stephen Colbert, to Jon Stewart: "I can't hear you over all the liberty!"

anitram said:
Stephen Colbert, to Jon Stewart: "I can't hear you over all the liberty!"

Thanks for the reminder, just switched over.

Ormus said:

I know. An unlikely addition, though, might be Montana. Their exit polls and current data shows that they might oust their incumbent Republican senator.

This was actually more sure earlier in the week, and pretty clearly a dem seat, though the polls of late have tightened.
Go Tester cut!

Anybody else enjoying that this thread has turned into a Democratic splooge-fest?

trevster2k said:

Thanks for the reminder, just switched over.

If this doesn't end up on BitTorrent I am going to cry. a lot.

Stupid google buying youtube and removing all the latest daily/report videos.

Varitek said:

I should also mention that the death penalty vote is a referendum, so the legislature would have to decide whether to reinstate the death penalty or not.

Also, a fact I just heard on the news, the death penalty was abolished in Wisconsin in the mid 1800s...

onebloodonelife said:

I should also mention that the death penalty vote is a referendum, so the legislature would have to decide whether to reinstate the death penalty or not.

Also, a fact I just heard on the news, the death penalty was abolished in Wisconsin in the mid 1800s...

Ugh. I bet the leg will keep it from passing. I hope. I have no idea - thoughts?

Hastert looks like his grandmother just shat on his face. he's also a delightful shade of red.

Back
Top Bottom