The official Election Day 2006 thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the rockin edge said:

how cynical. :tsk:

if i truly thought that all the candidates were corrupt bastards i'd have a hard time voting for any of them..

You're young yet. Give yourself another 20 years. :wink:

Irvine511 said:
most homophobic anti-marriage equality initiatives are losing steam as election tools -- they will probably pass in states with little pro-gay infastructure and organization, but not by all that much, and they will look like embarassments written by illiterate bigots in 30 years.

See, I thought so too when I was living in DC...the climate is SO different there. And now that I'm in the armpit of VA, I see how so many people are set in their old ways and are unfortunately the dominant opinion here.

I don't think there will be much increase in gay rights in southern virginia...i mean, they still wear/hang confederate flags everywhere i turn. this state has a long way to go in terms of equal rights...from what i see, many people are still set in the pre-civil war era.

Here in Hampton Roads I'm seeing some more hope as people realize the broad implications of the amendment...cross your fingers and hold your breath...

GAH I'm so nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :insertnailbitingsmileyhere:

Election fixing charges fly in Utah town

Mon Nov 6, 10:24 PM ET

SALT LAKE CITY - Folks love voting in Daggett County. Even when they may not live there.

Daggett County registered 947 voters for Tuesday's election — four more than the county's population in 2005, according to the most recent Census figures.

Now, Attorney General Mark Shurtleff's office is looking into complaints of vote-stuffing in the county, spokesman Paul Murphy said.

Democrats suspect County Clerk Vickie McKee is letting outsiders swell the Daggett County registration rolls to give Republicans an advantage. They say the father of the deputy running against Democratic Sheriff Allen Campbell has 14 adults registered at his household.

redhotswami said:

I don't think there will be much increase in gay rights in southern virginia...i mean, they still wear/hang confederate flags everywhere i turn. this state has a long way to go in terms of equal rights...from what i see, many people are still set in the pre-civil war era.

Say 'hi' to my family for me. :)

In Tennessee, we have a two-headed Republicrat Beast that I've nicknamed Harold Bob Forker.

"Do you hate homosexuals? Do you hate Mexicans? Do you love war? Then please vote for Harold Bob Forker for US Senate. He believes what you believe."

Even my 13-old-daughter said she'd vote for the younger guy with the "funny haircut" and tried to school me on the "lesser of two evils," but I couldn't be swayed.

I'm so proud I "threw my vote away" and supported my firend and Green Party candidate Chris Lugo in his modest and meaningful campaign for peace.

For enlightenment and a laugh, check out what the "skeptical brotha" has to say about Harold Ford
http://skepticalbrotha.wordpress.com/tag/harold-ford-jr/

or perhaps you should google "Julia Corker" (to learn how the would-be senator and mayor's daughter might undermine her daddy's campaign).

http://www.wonkette.com/politics/fa...er-experiments-with-mary-cheneyism-180720.php

Best, Anu

meegannie said:

Say 'hi' to my family for me. :)

Ouch...really? I didn't mean any offense by it :reject:

I understand there are cultural differences. But for me and my family history, that flag represents all sorts of painful memories. The argument I hear by the flag-wavers is that it is "heritage not hate", however to me, that heritage bases itself on a way of life that I am glad I wasn't born during, and I would rather forget, because those of us on the other side of that way of life were really treated unfairly.

That's all I meant.

One of the best things about WITS coming out today: totally distracted me from my nervousness over the election. I haven't even checked the news sights in 2 hours!

redhotswami said:

Ouch...really? I didn't mean any offense by it :reject:

I understand there are cultural differences. But for me and my family history, that flag represents all sorts of painful memories. The argument I hear by the flag-wavers is that it is "heritage not hate", however to me, that heritage bases itself on a way of life that I am glad I wasn't born during, and I would rather forget, because those of us on the other side of that way of life were really treated unfairly.

That's all I meant.

Oh, no! I didn't mean it to sound bitchy at all, and I completely agree with you. I really shouldn't try to read FYM and post in the last minute of my lunch break. :reject: I just said it because my family lives in southern Virginia and are the type you described. I can hardly bear it for the one week out of a year that I visit -- there are reasons I moved to DC and then finally moved to another country! ;)

Rumored possible early numbers accdg to The New Republic

http://www.tnr.com/blog/theplank?pid=55236

"These numbers have now come in to me from two different sources though like the others they seem too pro-Dem to be true"

Dems up:

VA 52-47

RI 53-46

PA 57-42

OH 57-43

NJ 52-45

MT 53-46

MO 50-48

MD 53-46

GOP up:

TN 51-48

AZ 50-46

http://thepoliticker.observer.com/2006/11/senate-numbers.html

Some early U.S. Senate exits, with all the normal caveats:

Casey 61 - Santorum 38

Cardin 51 - Steele 48

McCaskill 53 - Talent 46

Webb 55 - Allen 45

DaveC said:
Polls are closed in Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vermont, and Virginia.

What do you care, you Canucklehead!!!

:lol:

Just kidding, lotsa Canadians are following this.

Funny how they allow the results to be shown across the time zones unlike Canada. I remember earlier this year you were keeping us updated on the polls until 8pm pacific.

redhotswami said:
I've called everyone I know in this area (3 people) and there are NO election parties!!!!!! I am cry.

I'm gonna host my own tomorrow. My dog & I will be watching the action on PBS :wink:

:( aawwww, phoo, too bad.

I will turn on Air America as soon as I leave here. That 'll be my election-watch Party!:D

while he sometimes did some things too centerist for me - i think he also did some good things as well......
......I did campiagn work for Clinton in 92.
and the NYC office knew had talent so i did posters and stuff.

SO they asked me to be part of the Decorationg committee at the Sheriton hotel in NYC.....BIG ballroom!

We were allowed to stay, and i got to watch the WHOLE voting thing unfold {in pre-:mad:diebold machine days} in a big crowd of "wired" {me, too} people.......till we won! It was an INCREDIBLE night! :happy:
And i went down to DC for the Inaguaration. First & only one so far. ANother WOW day!

dazzledbylight said:

:( aawwww, phoo, too bad.

I will turn on Air America as soon as I leave here. That 'll be my election-watch Party!:D

while he sometimes did some things too centerist for me - i think he also did some good things as well......
......I did campiagn work for Clinton in 92.
and the NYC office knew had talent so i did posters and stuff.

SO they asked me to be part of the Decorationg committee at the Sheriton hotel in NYC.....BIG ballroom!

We were allowed to stay, and i got to watch the WHOLE voting thing unfold {in pre-:mad:diebold machine days} in a big crowd of "wired" {me, too} people.......till we won! It was an INCREDIBLE night! :happy:
And i went down to DC for the Inaguaration. First & only one so far. ANother WOW day!

How exciting!!! I wish I had gotten more involved in campaigning. For some reason it didn't interest me back in the day....but now I kinda wish I had participated more.

redhotswami said:

Yeah I was surprised!

You shouldn't be. We have a very shaky Conservative government here which will likely be forced into an election in the spring and if your electorate is shifting left, it will hurt them.

indra said:

You're young yet. Give yourself another 20 years. :wink:

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk: indra

I HAVE those 20 extra years and then some.........there ARE good politians still out there . :yes:

part of it, you must know is how our campaigns are finances........ there's corruption in every [or just about} facet of life..........in small to big amounts.depending on...the rules/ the inclusive or un inclusiveness of the times/the personalities of the individual people etc........ :)

do I GET cynical, oh sure. However, i rebalance towards my sometimes more optimistic outlook much of the time.

It's amazing that as liberal as Massachusetts is, it's the first time in quite awhile that a democrat will be leading the state. It'll be interesting to see what this means for my state.

Back
Top Bottom