The night club fire in Buenos Aires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ava79

Refugee
Just when you think that the news can't get any worse, you have to hear about yet another horrible event. There has been a huge fire in a night club in Buenos Aires, at least 170 were killed and hundreds were injured. :(

I don't know what to say anymore.

...and the latest news from BBC:

At least 175 people have died in a fire that tore through a crowded nightclub in the Argentine capital, Buenos Aires.
More than 619 others were injured when the fire broke out late on Thursday, city officials said.

Up to 4,000 people, many of them teenagers, were inside the club for a New Year performance by rock group Los Callejeros, reports say.

Officials are investigating the possibility that emergency exits at the nightclub were locked.

Argentine Interior Minister Anibal Fernandez said the blaze may have claimed more victims because the exits had been tied shut with wire, Reuters news agency reports.

"It appears they were condemned to walk into a trap," Mr Fernandez said.

Buenos Aires Mayor Anibal Ibarra said the emergency exit appeared to be shut "so that people wouldn't enter without paying" and firefighters had to break it open, Reuters added.

:(

Hi, I am in Buenos Aires for the holidays and have to say that we are all really sad and depressed for this immense tragedy. It is not the way that Argentina deserves to close the year, as our country has been suffering way too much in these last couple of years.

With that, I wanted to let you all know that myself and all my relatives are doing well. I hope that Flavia, Soldatti and all the other Argentine interferencers also report soon.

Regardless of this tragedy, I wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year.

Pablo

This is terrible. I was living in Rhode Island when that night club fire happened and I lost a friend that I had known since high school....Ugh, I just hope all our Interferencers are ok and I pray for everyone affected....:sad:

U2@NYC said:
With that, I wanted to let you all know that myself and all my relatives are doing well.

That's good to hear :hug:. Glad you're all okay.

Originally posted by U2@NYC
I hope that Flavia, Soldatti and all the other Argentine interferencers also report soon.

Yeah...I want to hear from them, too.

Originally posted by U2@NYC
Regardless of this tragedy, I wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year.

Yes, same to you as well. May the new year bring much happier events for everyone. Way too much sad stuff going on thus far (so sad, this newest tragedy :tsk:. Geez...rest in peace, everyone who's died :().

Angela

Hi guys!

As Pablo said we are all depressed and shocked down here. What a fucking horrible way to end this year! :(

I was at my bf's when the tragedy took place. I just couldnt believe my eyes when I saw the first news. It was just so...so.... there are no words to describe it.

None of my friends were there at the moment of the fire, thank God. But my friend's friend's boyfriend's drummer died last night. They were playing with the main band and he didn't make it. :sad:

Please say a prayer for those who lost their lives, their families and the kids who are still in hospital.

Tonight we won't be having a big New Year's do out of respect for those who are gone.

It is so sad... it is the largest tragedy in Argentine history... even more people died yesterday night than in the bombings of the Israeli embassy and the jewish mutual.

We will also have a very quiet New Year's Eve with our families for respect and mourning for those that did not make it. My only hope, and sometimes in Argentina this seems too much too ask, is that this tragedy acts as an example to enforce tighter regulations in local clubs. A similar thing happened 11 years ago in a club in the outskirts of Buenos Aires and, still, no one has been condemned. :(

Flavia, me alegra mucho que estes bien. Un beso grande para vos y toda tu familia y espero que, a pesar de lo triste que son las noticias, pases un excelente 2005. Un beso grande.

Bye to all and hope that you can celebrate the coming of the New Year with the ones you love. That is, after all, what matters the most.

Niamh_Saoirse said:
None of my friends were there at the moment of the fire, thank God.

That's good. And I'm glad you're okay, too :hug:.

Originally posted by Niamh_Saoirse
But my friend's friend's boyfriend's drummer died last night. They were playing with the main band and he didn't make it. :sad:

Oh, no :(. I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolances to his family and friends :hug:. May he rest in peace.

I'm glad to hear you're ok Flavia! :hug: It's odd, I haven't been here at the forums for that long but I really feel like a part of a great community and start worrying about people whenever I hear bad news. Call me strange if you want...

Anyway, I will light a candle tonight to the memory of everyone who died or got injured at the fire and their near and dear ones. Stay safe tonight.
It's not the happiest day today as New Year's Day is an official day of mourning in Sweden, Finland and Norway because we have lost so many people in Asia.

All is quiet on New Year's day...:sad:

Thanks for all the kind words. We really appreciate it. :hug:

Argentinians are going through a mixture of pain, anger and dispair. It's such a shock... People still don't know how to react.

I think our country has had enough of this nasty stuff and it's high time the people in charge started controlling important stuff, such as safety issues in pblic places, instead of handling matters that can wait.

Pablo, gracias por tu mensajito. Me alegra saber que vos y los tuyos estan bien. Espero que tengas un buen año, a pesar del tropezon con el que tuvimos que empezar. Cuidate mucho. :)

Dios Bendiga a la Argentina. Tantas cosas que han sucedido por allá en tan poco tiempo. Dios sabe que se merecen un descanso.

Feliz Año a todos los argentinos y argentinas que leen por acá.

Estoy para servirles.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Dios Bendiga a la Argentina. Tantas cosas que han sucedido por allá en tan poco tiempo. Dios sabe que se merecen un descanso.

Feliz Año a todos los argentinos y argentinas que leen por acá.

Estoy para servirles.

Back
Top Bottom