The New South Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
During the Apartheid era, there was widespread international protest against white South Africa and its treatment of black South Africa. Major demonstrations, economic sanctions and calls for an end to the white regime! Well, we're certainly no better off now...

I knew nothing of the extent to which South Africa has regressed until this morning. My mother found several South African blogs on the Internet. She, my father, and I crowded around the computer and just looked on in shock. Not only are our once beautiful cities turning to rubble under the pock marks of AK-47 bullet holes, but our people are also being slaughtered for no other reason than they are white. Black South Africans murdering and torturing white South Africans because they are white, and the rest of the world potters on as usual. It's just because it doesn't have a snazzy name like "Apartheid" that it goes on unnoticed... Black South Africa is trying to eradicate the fact that White South Africa ever existed, and it's about time that someone noticed. They're replacing English and Afrikaans towns with new Zulu/Xhosa names. They're slowly but surely forcing whites out of the workplace with their "Affirmative Action" policies. And they're slaughtering and raping the rest.

Please don't take this as a racist post - despite being one of the so-called evil white South Africans of English and Afrikaaner descent, I'm not racist and I despise racism of every kind. I have friends of every race, colour and creed. But I'm sorry, what's going on in South Africa right now is racism, and it has to stop. Apartheid was horrible, and the reverse apartheid that is going on right now is just as bad, if not worse. Of course, there will be thousands of black South Africans who are opposed to what is going on. Just like there were thousands of white South Africans who were opposed to apartheid. And there are a lot of black South Africans who are also dying at the hands of other black South Africans. However, there is no denying that the number of crimes commited against whites for no reason other than race is on the rise.

http://southafricaiscrap.blogspot.com/

Some excerpts (all of these have sources, by the way):

Crime Wave “Worse Than Ever” – It Seems Like Every Second Person is a Victim, says Police Spokesman

Last month airline manager Clay Pierre-Louis and Cape Town journalist Megan Herselman were shot dead, in separate attacks, at the Rivonia Road off-ramp in Sandton. The only thing stolen in either case was Pierre-Louis’ cellphone.
Another recent murder without apparent motive was that of John Wharton, who was shot dead in his Melville, Johannesburg, driveway, his attackers leaving without taking his car, two cellphones, wallet or firearm.
Perhaps the most terrifying trend is the torture. North West smallholding resident Frans Pieterse was tortured for more than four hours in front of his wife and two children three weeks ago. His attackers burnt him with scalding water and cut his head open before strangling him to death with a shoelace. They poured melted plastic onto his 10-year-old son.

Policemen Attack White Woman in Pretoria

The latest incident happened in Verwoerdburg (sorry, Centurion) when a New South African in full police uniform greeted Heidi Bothma, 36, politely before hitting her in the face with a gun and throwing her on the ground before another policeman raced away in her car.
Heidi had to crawl to the neighbours' gate with a bleeding lip after three policemen fled when she started screaming. At the gate she kept ringing the bell in order to get help. Her husband Justin, 43, rushed to her aid, but had to keep their five-year-old daughter inside to prevent her from seeing what had happened to her mother.
Heidi said when she explained to the child that somebody had taken her handbag, the girl looked at her bruised lip and offered her her own Lip Ice, as her mother's had been taken along with the handbag.
The Bothmas were visiting friends barely two kilometres from their home in Pierre van Ryneveld in Centurion when Bothma briefly left to visit another friend. "When I arrived at our friends' house again shortly after 20:00, a white Volkswagen stopped next to me," she said. "A man dressed in a police uniform approached me and said hello."
The next moment he took out a gun and hit Bothma on the mouth. "He threw me to the ground, got on top of me and tried to rip off my blouse to see whether I was wearing jewellery," she said.
"I couldn't remove my watch quickly enough and thought he was going to shoot me," she said.
She said another robber, also dressed in blue uniform and boots, got into her green Hyundai while she was being assaulted. The third "policeman" remained seated in the Volkswagen.
"I screamed as loudly as I could, upon which they escaped in both cars. "I crawled to the gate and kept pressing the bell," she said.
Bothma, a businesswoman, said her husband and a friend pursued the suspects into Tembisa, but couldn't find them. "I had no reason to suspect the 'policemen' would harm me," she said.
"How can one know in an instant whether they are policemen or not?"
"They took everything - my identity document, driver's licence, more than R1 000 in cash, bank cards, jewellery and our car," she said. "I had to borrow money this morning to buy milk and bread for my child."

New South African Mother Killed her Baby Because he was “too White”

Minutes after giving birth to a baby boy in her own bathroom, Puleng Lephuting put the child in a toilet and flushed it over and over again, until he was dead. Then she took the body and placed it on a rubbish heap outside her house.
And for that, 24-year-old Lephuting, of Welkom, received a sentence of just 2 000 hours in jail. But it will not be 2 000 consecutive hours: she will only spend her weekends as a prisoner, at the women's prison in Kroonstad, and will be free to do as she pleases on weekdays.
Lephuting this week entered into a plea agreement with the State. She admitted to murdering her own baby on July 13 last year after realising that the child was possibly the product of an affair, as it "was too white".

Just disgusting.

http://deathofjohannesburg.blogspot.com/

This is an example of what Johannesburg is being reduced to. My father, who was born in and grew up around Johannesburg could hardly believe his eyes. The whole place is a bloody squatter camp now. And the scary thing is, ten years ago, ten bloody years ago, it looked nothing like this! All thanks to our great leader Thabo Mbeki and his corrupt cronies.

And I saved the worst link for last. Please DO NOT visit this site if you are offended by graphic photographs. Believe me, they are graphic.

http://www.africancrisis.org/Photos45.asp

Black South Africans did that to white farmers...because they were white. No other reason. Those images made me cry because I know that either one of those people could have easily been me. It's terrifying to know that if I were still living in South Africa right now, I could be killed for saying "Ja" instead of "Yebo."

Forgive me for rambling on, but as someone who still holds South African citizenship, it was very disturbing to find out just how bad things have gotten at home. In fact, it makes me downright furious. This has had its effects on my family as well, all of whom are still living in Cape Town and Johannesburg. My cousin, who is the same age as I am, has been mugged three times whilst travelling by train in Cape Town. The last time, he was held at gun and knife point, insulted by his black attackers for being white. In the meantime, everyone else in the station went about their own business without even batting an eyelid. He doesn't ride trains anymore. My fifteen-year-old cousin sleeps in my aunt's bedroom every night because she is terrified that people will come in through her window and rape her. Her fears are warranted, because their neighbours were broken into by black South Africans just last week. My grandmother in Johannesburg has been broken into several times. Just after my family and I left South Africa in 1996, our neighbours were shot to death in their shop.

"Statistically a South African is 12 times as likely to be murdered than the average American and his chances of being killed are 50 times greater than if he lived in Western Europe. In countries not at war, only a Colombian has a greater chance of dying in a hail of gunfire." (Source)

It has to stop. After seeing some of this stuff, particularly the pictures of those farmers, I know I can never return to my home unless something is done to reverse all of this.

This reminds me of Americas dark past and what the white people did to the Africans here and the Native Americans.

Justin24 said:
This reminds me of Americas dark past and what the white people did to the Africans here and the Native Americans.

And the horrific thing is, the same thing is happening to white South Africans in this day and age. Not even during apartheid did white South African police do to black South Africans what you see in the farm murders page.

financeguy said:
Anti-white racism is the racism we don't like to talk about.

Exactly. You're labelled a racist in South Africa if you have anything negative to say about such obviously race-fuelled murders commited by blacks.

This quote from the page about the farm murders really stood out:

All the photos you see on this page are white people who were murdered or attacked by blacks. Kindly note, our government falls over itself to spread news across the world when a Police dog attacks a black man. They then shout RACIST! RACIST! At the top of their voices. The trained Police dog does not even draw blood. They find this, and parade it as a white hate crime against a black. Now come and take a look at a very small sampling of black hate crimes on whites and compare them. Note, these are often committed by fit young black men - often against the very old or against women or children. As I say in my book, our new leaders are the most racist people in the country. They want race hatred. They love it. It is the only thing that gives them a reason to exist. They are incapable of doing anything positive for the country so all they can do is beat that worn old racist drum of theirs and remind everyone that all our problems are supposedly caused by whites! It is that sort of talk which encourages and leads to crimes of the sort you will see on this page.

GibsonGirl, this is good information - thanks.
It seems like blogs cover a lot of the important, untold stories.

A couple of questions
- is the crime rate you mention prevalent across all races?
- how is the outlook for the current crime situation?
- Has this crime rate caused any large-scale emigration from South Africa?

This Sums it up for me especially this.

"Heaven on Earth, we need it now
I'm sick of all of this hanging around
Sick of sorrow, sick of the pain
(I'm sick of hearing again and again
That there's gonna be peace on Earth)"

Back in the 90s it became apparent that the pendulum would swing in the opposite direction. And there was precedent set for this if you just looked a bit north to Zimbabwe, so as disturbing as it is, it's not surprising to me.

I'm not sure what solution exists here, to be honest. Apart from Johannesburg's race issues, a large problem is that hundreds of thousands of people moved in from the villages and started occupying the shantytowns because they felt they would be able to fluorish now with the new equal opportunity employment laws. But instead their cardboard boxes pretty much became the equivalent of Rio's favelas and this might be more responsible for the rising crime rate than anything else.

For anyone who has read Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" (I highly recommend it, btw), this might remind you of one of his last observations. When he and another man are finally liberated from Auschwitz, they stumble around the countryside in Poland, and come across a field of newly emerged crops. To get to where they want to go, cutting across the field is the shortest route and his friend insists they do so. After all, so much has been taken from them, they've lost everyone they loved and everything they had, who cares about this field of oats. And Frankl tells him, no, even today you have a choice to make that's better than that. In SA, I can see how people who suffered terribly for hundreds of years can feel like they are entitled to be the boss the way they choose to be. It's not right in any sense of the word but unfortunately when you feel that you're justified in your actions, that's a really difficult thing to eradicate.

This is absolutely horrific. I think I've read about your experience with this in other threads, but I had no clue things were getting this bad.

As a child, I had a similar experience. Not nearly comparable to what you've experienced and posted, but I was the Dutch kid that grew up in the black part of town. As soon as my parents could afford it, we moved because it was too dangerous for us, we were afraid to play on our own swingset even though we'd never done one thing wrong or made a single racist remark towards anyone. At age 4 and 6, my brother and I were shot at by a well-known gang member, simply because we were little white kids playing in our own tree house. In this country at this time, you should NOT have the police coming to your house because people think it's fun to shoot white kids.

Racism is still everywhere in every color in every direction.

ntalwar said:

A couple of questions
- is the crime rate you mention prevalent across all races?
- how is the outlook for the current crime situation?
- Has this crime rate caused any large-scale emigration from South Africa?

You mean the statistics relating to the likelihood of murder? Yes, I believe that applies to all races. There's tremendous inter-clan fighting that goes on between the different black cultures in South Africa in the townships and such. And since South Africans have such easy access to weapons like AK-47s, it's all the more easier for people to kill one another. The chance of a white person being killed is obviously skewed, because we are in the minority. The last time I checked, white South Africans comprised about 11% of the population (though it wouldn't surprise me if the number has dropped since.)

The official outlook for crime in South Africa will always be good. The government insists that South Africa is not as dangerous as its citizens make it out to be, but this is coming from a government headed by a man who insists that HIV does not cause AIDS. They're continually hiring more police officers, but the police force is just as corrupt as the government. I was listening to 702, Joburg's talk radio station on the internet the other day. A man phoned in saying that he had reported a robbery in his home, but the police were too busy to respond. This wasn't just a minor theft - a full blown robbery, with family members held hostage. So the unofficial outlook for crime in South Africa is not good. In my personal opinion, give South Africa another ten, fifteen years and it will be another Zimbabwe. Already, from the photographs of Johannesburg, it's apparent what path we're heading out on. http://dojjouubertpark.blogspot.com/

And yes, it has caused a great deal of emigration, particularly by whites. I'm just one of the many who have left. This site has some information: http://www.migrationint.com.au/news/ukraine/feb_2001-18mn.asp

White South Africans continue to emigrate. Statistics South Africa reported that, in 1999, there were 8,402 emigrants and 3,669 immigrants- many South Africans do not announce their departure, so the true number is higher. By one estimate, some 250,000 South Africans emigrated to Australia, Britain, Canada, New Zealand and the United States between 1989 and 1997. According to experts, the major factors prompting emigration include fear of violent crime; worries over the cost and quality of health and schooling; and uncertainty over job prospects for themselves and their children in the face of "affirmative action."

That affirmative action is a big push, aside from the crime. I would have a very poor chance of getting into a South African university as a white (my Afrikaaner surname would make it ten times worse). I would also have a very poor chance of getting a job.

anitram said:
In SA, I can see how people who suffered terribly for hundreds of years can feel like they are entitled to be the boss the way they choose to be. It's not right in any sense of the word but unfortunately when you feel that you're justified in your actions, that's a really difficult thing to eradicate.

And that's the key to all of this. You've got blacks thinking they can pot off as many whites as they want, because of apartheid. What they're forgetting is that Nelson Mandela fought and struggled so hard not only to end white police brutality and unfair government restrictions, but to unite the races of South Africa! We're called the "Rainbow Nation" for a good reason, but some South Africans have it in their heads that a rainbow consists of only one colour.

I firmly, firmly believe that South Africa will end up being just another Zimbabwe. All we need is a nut like Mugabe in power, and the orders to kill white South Africans and take their property will be music to the ears of the murderers and rapists that continue to treat the once great South Africa as their playground. And we certainly have plenty of nuts waiting to gain power. Who could ever forget the "One Boer, One Bullet" slogan?

EDIT: By the way, I'm very sorry to hear about the difficulties you went through, LivLuv. They really have it out for the Dutch and those of Dutch descent...

GibsonGirl said:

I firmly, firmly believe that South Africa will end up being just another Zimbabwe. All we need is a nut like Mugabe in power, and the orders to kill white South Africans and take their property will be music to the ears of the murderers and rapists that continue to treat the once great South Africa as their playground.

Mandela is the only thing that's holding the ANC together, and as long as he is alive, I think there is an important pretext for working together in a civilized fashion. My fear is that when he dies someday, it will all degenerate into complete chaos.

GibsonGirl said:

"Statistically a South African is 12 times as likely to be murdered than the average American and his chances of being killed are 50 times greater than if he lived in Western Europe. "

I found another blog - http://thenewsouthafrica.blogspirit.com/
that says "54 murders a day....When will it Stop".
Unreal.

And this is a country that will host the World Cup :huh:.

:(

Justice is dead. It's been dead for a very, very long time.

It's like this in many parts of the world but there are just not enough advocates to bring it to light.

I'll have to read the book you posted later, Steph. :wink: I can't do it at work.

This thread really makes me shiver all over. The fact that these things still happen - mind you it's 2006 - makes me so mad, so angry, so sad, and most of all, filled with fear.

Justice is dead, and I wish it wasn't. This world just keeps on tumbling down while some people try to make it a better place, but they are withheld by others.

I'm sorry for all the loss that anyone reading this thread (or anyone else for that matter) had to face.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic, I'm also very sorry what happened to you...

I just wish this world would change, for good. That we don't have to live in fear or sadness any longer, afraid that somebody might shoot us, just because of the colour of our skin, or where we come from...

sulawesigirl4 said:

Excuse me, but who is the "they" you are referring to here? :eyebrow:

Oh heavens, this is funny. :happy: Are you trying to insinuate that I was making a racist comment? Hey, it's all fact that black South Africans did this to white Afrikaaners of Dutch descent, just because they were white Afrikaaners of Dutch descent. Fact. If you want to nitpick over the use of the word "they," go right ahead. Please don't accuse me of racism. Accuse the man who sawed off the top half of a white Afrikaaner's head and dumped him in a bath to die.

ntalwar, the more I think about it, the less comfortable I am with the idea of South Africa hosting the next world cup. If we can't even take care of our own bloody people in the slightest, how on earth are we going to take care of international football teams and the fans that will be following? Knowing South Africa, there will be people who will attempt to hijack the bloody stadiums themselves. On the other hand, knowing that it will be in the international eye, perhaps the world cup will force South African leaders to make some changes in the way they do things. Thanks for the link, by the way.

Originally posted by anitram

Mandela is the only thing that's holding the ANC together, and as long as he is alive, I think there is an important pretext for working together in a civilized fashion. My fear is that when he dies someday, it will all degenerate into complete chaos.

Once Mandela is gone, I'm almost certain South Africa will be doomed. The ANC will slowly disintegrate, some chief or dictator will take over, the rand will plummet, and the citizens will get poorer while the idiot in power drives his Mercedes Benz. South Africa will become just another stuffed up African nation, when it could have been a beacon. I hate to be so pessimistic, but I honestly don't see any way out of the current state of affairs.

This is horrible. I had no idea things had gotten this bad in SA. I met some Afrikaaners on my trip to Turkey, they didn't talk about this. I hope they're OK. Reading this stuff makes me sick. Racism of any kind sucks.

verte76 said:
This is horrible. I had no idea things had gotten this bad in SA. I met some Afrikaaners on my trip to Turkey, they didn't talk about this. I hope they're OK. Reading this stuff makes me sick. Racism of any kind sucks.

I think the worst of it all is that there are a lot of Afrikaaners and other whites who just don't know it's going on. I had absolutely no idea that things were this bad. I'd heard rumours of it online here and there, but nothing at all like this. It's like the apartheid era all over again - back then, the news wasn't reporting cases of white police brutality. Now it isn't reporting cases of black murder. And South Africans back home who can't leave permanently seem to be trying to ignore the fact that the country is falling apart. If I had known all this earlier...

See, I've been missing home for quite some time now. I haven't set foot on South African soil since 2001. I've been longing to go back to see family and such. But now, I just don't know anymore. I actually can't believe I was honestly thinking of going back there, even for a holiday. And that's a shame, because South Africa is a beautiful country and I will always consider it my home. I'll always be South African, no matter what it says on my passport.

I don't understand it. The colour of our skin shouldn't determine whether we live or we die, whether or not we have a job, whether or not we go to university. It's just horrific. We're all South African, whether we're black, white or coloured. Ever since my cousin got held up at knife/gun point for "being a Boer," I've been worrying terribly for the safety of my family. It's so hard to emigrate out of that bloody place unless you work in a specialised position, and none of my extended family does. So they're stuck...

:sigh:

GibsonGirl said:
It's so hard to emigrate out of that bloody place unless you work in a specialised position, and none of my extended family does. So they're stuck...

I was just about to ask you that. :( That's awful and I definitely know what it's like to have an extended family stuck in a deteriorated country.

I got a chance to read the whole thing on the sly :shifty: (not all the blogs though) and it sickened me, again. I find my self disgusted at the cruelty that happens around the world everywhere. For any fucking reason. It just supports my theory that the devil doesn't exist because humanity is evil enough.
Anyways, now I want to wiki up South Africa to get a better grasp on the whole subject.
I think the last thing I saw about South Africa was the Disney movie, "The Color of Friendship." :reject:
I can imagine it's backwards now, and much worse off. :(

GibsonGirl said:

It's so hard to emigrate out of that bloody place unless you work in a specialised position, and none of my extended family does. So they're stuck...

That's too bad about your extended family. I wonder if applying for asylum somewhere is an option for them :hmm:.

Also, not sure if you saw another link on that blog,
but they had a good site for crime reporting- http://www.crimexposouthafrica.org/

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
As a child, I had a similar experience. Not nearly comparable to what you've experienced and posted, but I was the Dutch kid that grew up in the black part of town...

GibsonGirl said:
EDIT: By the way, I'm very sorry to hear about the difficulties you went through, LivLuv. They really have it out for the Dutch and those of Dutch descent...

sulawesigirl4 said:
Excuse me, but who is the "they" you are referring to here? :eyebrow:

GibsonGirl said:
Oh heavens, this is funny. :happy: Are you trying to insinuate that I was making a racist comment?

How is it funny? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought that LivLuv was from the U.S. in which case her story has nothing to do with Afrikaaners and blacks in South Africa, and a lot more to do with race relations in her particular city. So why would you insinuate that black people apparently "have it out" for white people of Dutch descent? It seems to me that any time you start seeing things through an "us vs. them" prism, it is bound to disintegrate into stereotyping - which is never helpful.

I understand that this is an emotional topic for you, and I can respect that. However, racism is a charged topic for me as well, as I'm in a committed relationship with someone from Africa. I'm white and he's black. We've both had to deal with our respective cultures' views of the "other", and if I've learned anything it is that you can never categorize an entire race or color of people based on the actions of some. That's why reading a comment like "they have it out for us" makes me very uncomfortable.

sulawesigirl4 said:

How is it funny?

It's funny, because you were implying something that wasn't at all true.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought that LivLuv was from the U.S. in which case her story has nothing to do with Afrikaaners and blacks in South Africa, and a lot more to do with race relations in her particular city. So why would you insinuate that black people apparently "have it out" for white people of Dutch descent?

Hmm? LivLuv wrote that she was "the Dutch kid" living in "the black part of town" and that she and her brother were shot at because of this. Which is, again, very similar to Afrikaaners (who are of Dutch descent) being shot at by blacks.

That's why reading a comment like "they have it out for us" makes me very uncomfortable.

Interesting. Of all the things that could have POSSIBLY made you uncomfortable in this thread, that's the one you chose to comment about? A comment you perceived as being racist that wasn't even racist at all, just a general comment about how some black people treat the white "oppressor" because of things long past? financeguy said it all. Anti-white racism is the racism we don't like to talk about.

Thanks, Pla, ntalwar and everyone else for your sympathy. :( It's very tough knowing that I'm sitting here safe and sound on the other side of the world, when any member of my family could be killed at any given moment...because of the colour of their skin. Whatever progress South Africa made in 1994 is making a massive turn around and has been for some time now.

Last edited:
Those stories are horrible and disgusting. My next door neighbor and good friend was born and raised in South Africa (she is white) and she used to tell me some pretty crazy stories regarding black SA's vs white SA's. Her parents live in Johannesburg.. she hasnt mentioned anything about it lately but this sparks my interest and I want to ask her how they are doing. I remember her telling me that last year some SAs looted and trashed her parents fish store. They had just bought it .. saved up and everything, and it was their own business and then it was destroyed. It's really sad and makes you stop and appreciate what you have, and the things you take for granted.

I tend to think that this is a phenomenon that deserves more research, as it is not completely unique globally. There's plenty of examples of oppressed minorities and how they react after finally obtaining civil rights, but it is less common to run in to examples of oppressed majorities and how they react afterwards. However, I think that a similar dynamic is happening in Iraq currently, as the Shi'ite majority is now in power and going on a murderous rampage against the minority Sunnis who used to rule over them.

I have to ask myself what the root of the problem is; whether it is driven by vengeance, whether the majority had developed unrealistic expectations for prosperity and takes out their frustrations on the former ruling minority, or if it has to do with mass political ignorance and incompetance when dealing with a group of people who, after being shut out of the political process for decades, now suddenly have complete control.

Being part of a minority that is misunderstood and irrationally hated by the majority of Americans has made me think about how to end hatred for a while now. I hope, someday, that global prejudice of all kind is eradicated.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom