The New Role of the United States of America - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2002, 06:11 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Dreadsox,

Hundreds of millions of people around the world (even your very close Canadian neighbours) have a portion of their taxes going to universal health care and they are hardly homeless or broke. In fact, a number of countries with higher taxes and considerably better social systems placed above the USA on the UN's standard of living index; surely something is working, don't you agree?

If so many other countries can do it, then why is there such a paranoia about taxes going to social programs in the USA. People in Europe have a lot of their hard earned money going towards a universal health care system, and they're not any more impoverished than you are in the great ol' US of A.
Good for them......Maybe some of the people coming to my country illegally can go to those countries to receive their health services. I guess some "social program" must make it desireable to come here.

I am sorry, but when over 1/3 of the money I make is taken from me......I do not feel any more should go out of my pocket.

I have a home...a comfortable one. It is not a mansion....nor do I need one. It is a home. With two salaries......my wife and I would not get approved for a loan to buy this house today because of the vaulue of the market.

I am sorry, but I do not feel I should have to give any more of my money away. Cut other programs to make universal health care a reality. I am giving enough already as are many other Americans trying to make ends meet. I feel badly for the children that do not have health care. Because people are irresponsible and have children when they are not making enough money to afford children it is creating a problem. More social programs encourages this behavior to continue.

Peace

Old 11-13-2002, 10:29 PM   #42
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:49 AM
::ahem::

What are we, as a nation, doing--or what should we be doing--to cultivate an ethic of nationhood of which we can truly be proud?

No one is answering my question. I've read debates about weaponry and universal health care and overtaxation, but no one wants to attack the real issue.

<sidebar rant>
It is a peculiarity in American culture (though, to be fair, it probably exists in *human* culture) that we can shake our heads at 40 million uninsured persons, MANY IF NOT MOST OF WHOM ARE CHILDREN, but when the collection basket comes our way, it's "Well, it's not my problem that people keep having children they can't afford."

Well. It's hardly the kids' problem, now, is it?
</sidebar rant>

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:50 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
::ahem::

What are we, as a nation, doing--or what should we be doing--to cultivate an ethic of nationhood of which we can truly be proud?

No one is answering my question. I've read debates about weaponry and universal health care and overtaxation, but no one wants to attack the real issue.
Should we maybe define what exactly a better ethic of nationhood would be?

I hope people do not misunderstand what I am getting at. I am not against helping kids, obvioulsy being a teacher. I do however hate to see such abuse of programs. If ethics=more social programs and higher $$$$ I am against it. I do not wish to get off topic......however.....maybe we can work to define it first.

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

<sidebar rant>
It is a peculiarity in American culture (though, to be fair, it probably exists in *human* culture) that we can shake our heads at 40 million uninsured persons, MANY IF NOT MOST OF WHOM ARE CHILDREN, but when the collection basket comes our way, it's "Well, it's not my problem that people keep having children they can't afford."

Well. It's hardly the kids' problem, now, is it?
</sidebar rant>
As for your sidebar............ TAXATION = Collection basket?
Sorry, but the church I belong to is not the Federal, State, or Local government. I would love to put more in the collection basket. Care to lower my taxes?

Seriously, you think it is fair, that many people, like myself and my wife worked hard, put ourselves through school (Bachelors and Masters)....saved to buy a home, waited five years to have kids when we could better afford it......We should also have money taken from us to pay for someone elses child? This is not about a collection plate being passed around. Believe me, I have more fiath that my Church is going to take care of people than the government. I would rather see the tax money go there.

Pax.....that was my sidebar....I will try and join in the definition of the above mentioned question.....

Peace