The 'nanny state' has taken over my school!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
On the first day of school my friends and I were amazed when we found out A) That our county apparently has obesity laws B) Our school now only sells diet drinks, tea, and water from the vending machines!!!!!! We're high schoolers....I think we know what will cause us to gain weight and what could affect us, let us make our own f***ing decisions! I myself am a Dr. Pepper addict and am very skinny (high metabolism :D ), I don't need diet crap! I need fatening stuff! The government should lay off. Anyway that's enough of my rant, I was just very disappointed when I couldn't buy any Dr. Pepper on the first day.

U2democrat : it seems that you'll have to buy your own fat food ! So you can't buy the kind of food you like in your school but are you allowed to eat what you want ?

*imagines you hiding in the toilets with chocolate bars ! *

Klaus said:
I feel the need to pass some klenex to Tomer and MissMaCo :wink:

MissMaCo
You can only dring Coca, Pepsi etc with lots of ice. 1st it increases the water-proportion and 2nd the colder it is the less you can sense the shuger ;)

:hug:

:happy:

*I'm thirsty now*

MissMaCo
:lol:

Free Klenex for MissMaCo :sexywink: and of course lots of Kleenex for Tomer :laugh:
kleenex.gif

u2democrat, can you bring your own drinks and munchies in with you? It would be less expensive (more money to spend on other stuff!) and you'd have what you want.

I remember the days when schools didn't even have vending machines, and your choice of beverage was white milk, chocolate milk or water. Horrors!!

I usually do bring my own stuff, but there are some days where say, i'm out of drinks at home or something comes up and I have to buy my lunch. It's just very annoying. I don't want tea! Give me the sugary-rotting your teeth-150 calorie drinks!

I'd be irked if I couldn't buy soft drinks at all, to be perfectly honest. I like to have fluids to drink and prefer it to be something besides water.

U2Democrat, that kind of stuff annoys the crap out of me. Eliminating temptation is the behavioral control necessary for addicts, not those who simply need to make better choices. It's only fair to offer both options, calorie free and calorie full.

It's is nice to know, however, that some schools are heading in the right direction. When I was in high school (that makes me sound old, but it wasn't that long ago), you couldn't get anything remotely healthy if you tried. Fat-filled, high calorie foods were the ONLY option. Guess the pendulum swings too far the other way . . .

I don't see what the big deal is, that stuff is just plain disgusting in the first place. We didn't even have vending machines when I was in school at first, many moons ago and it was no great loss either way.

Diet drinks have aspartame, which has loosely been associated with some tumorigenesis, but at extremely high doses which you simply cannot reach by drinking Diet drinks. A bigger concern is the kidneys.

Many people prefer the diet stuff because you don't get that gritty feeling on your teeth later on.

Back
Top Bottom