The most trusted NEWS source in America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An employee of Fox News tweeting is hardly the same thing as broadcasting the story. Why not blame Twitter rather than FNC?

Or better yet, ignore any story that originates from Twitter, Facebook, drunk-dialing or sexting*.

* with the exception of congressional wieners.

I agree that it's wise to not look to Twitter or Facebook for our news, but she did say she was "looking for opinions", whatever that meant.

She could have just not tweeted the story at all, 'cause it's stupid and pointless and is only there for inflammatory purposes. Like stated, fair or not, when you work for a company, you have to be more careful about what you post on social networks in your free time.

If it was someone from MSNBC putting some crazy rumor type of story about a Republican candidate on Twitter, are you saying you or other conservatives wouldn't react similarly?

An employee of Fox News tweeting is hardly the same thing as broadcasting the story. Why not blame Twitter rather than FNC?

Or better yet, ignore any story that originates from Twitter, Facebook, drunk-dialing or sexting*.

* with the exception of congressional wieners.
Why would I blame Twitter? Did Twitter post the messages or did the person with the account post them? People who run media outlets go to great pains to advise journalists on how much impact Twitter has and how much responsibility you need to have over what you post.

Saturday, 10:34 PM

foxorl1.jpg

Sunday, 6:45 PM

foxorl2.jpg

Sunday, 10:41 PM

foxorl3.jpg

Well, that didn’t take very long. Yesterday afternoon, we told you about Gawker’s newest addition, a Fox News employee hired to deliver anonymous dispatches on the inner workings of the cable network. Less than 24 hours later, Fox News is now saying they’ve identified the employee. “We found the person and we’re exploring legal options at this time,” a Fox spokesperson told Mediaite this afternoon.
A former Fox News employee tells TVNewser, “There are a lot of employees that share similar views about FNC but are just to afraid to speak up — and rightly so. You have to protect the brand even if you feel differently.”
A second installment of the Gawker series, focusing on the atmosphere of the basement-level newsroom, was posted this morning.
>Update: the Fox mole responds on Gawker:
So Fox’s PR team has been telling people that they have “found” me and are presently “exploring legal options.” If Fox has smoked me out, it’s news to me. I’m still here. Back to work.​

Oh they did!

In what became an all-day, back-and-forth saga, the network said on Wednesday afternoon that they had identified the employee, who then responded on Gawker by discrediting those claims, taunting, "I'm still here." Later on, the Mole revealed himself to be an eight-year employee of the network named Joe Muto, who had been working for Bill O'Reilly. Fox had suspended him -- with pay -- after tracking down his identity using his digital username trail, he said.
"I am a weasel, a traitor, a sell-out and every bad word you can throw at me... but as of today, I am free, and I am ready to tell my story, which I wasn't able to fully do for the previous 36 hours," Muto wrote. "Stay tuned for much, much more

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/roger-ailes-fox-news-mole-jason-muto-slams-gawker-311180

Muto is revealing more:

Joe Muto has already revealed some defamatory information. Here are some of the most interesting snippets from his Gawker column (click here, here and here to read the full columns):

"I always intended to keep my mouth shut. The plan was simple: get hired, keep my head down and my views to myself, work for a few months, build my resume, then eventually hop to a new job that didn't make me cringe every morning when I looked in the mirror... The ten resumes a month I was sending out dwindled into five, then two, then one, then zero. No one wants me. I'm blacklisted. I work at Fox News Channel."
The moment that "ended it" for him: "The post [entitled 'Obama's Hip Hop BBQ Didn't Create Jobs') neatly summed up everything that had been troubling me about my employer: Non sequitur, ad hominem attacks on the president; gleeful race baiting; a willful disregard for facts; and so on. It came close on the heels of theCommon controversy, which exhibited a lot of the same ugly traits. (See also:terrorist fist jabs; Fox & Friendsmadrassa accusations; etc.)"
"'So why not just leave Fox News?' you might ask. Good question! I've asked myself that same thing many times. And I am leaving. Sooner rather than later, I'm guessing. But I can't just leave quietly, can I? Where's the fun in that? So I'm John McClane-ing this shit. I'm inside the building, crawling through the air vents, gathering intel, and passing it along to Carl Winslow."
"The basement newsroom is dreary, with no windows, fluorescent lighting, and constant worrying about an infestation from bedbugs, mice or some other vermin. Nobody really has a lunch break, so we bolt down our food at our desks like convicts and toss our sandwich wrappers and salad bowls into the wastepaper baskets under our desks, creating a tasty daily buffet for insects."
"The place is oddly low-rent. The computers are all at least 6 or 7 years old, and can barely run more than two software programs at a time. Everyone has a TV at their desk with a cable hookup, but the signal is bad and constantly cuts out and has static on half the channels. Half the printers are usually out of commission, and god help you if you have to find a working fax machine."
"The lobby isn't too shabby. It's mostly bland and marble, with the usual pieces of inoffensive corporate art. Not so usual, however, are the 25-foot-tall murals featuring a rotating cast of on-air personalities. Up until a couple months ago it was Fox News prime time people plastered up there. Currently it's Fox Business personalities, the grim swollen visages of Neil Cavuto and Lou Dobbs grinning at you, North Korea-style, insisting that all is well at the ratings-challenged business network."
"Sean Hannity's interviews are a source of embarrassment for many of us at the network... The ongoing right-wing obsession with Obama's teleprompter remains a mystery to me. He doesn't use one any more often than any of his predecessors, or any more often than the men who want to replace him. Yet it's always "har har har he has to write down his words before he says them" and so on.Yet Hannity advises Romney to use one lest his enemies find an error to exploit."
"To me, that's the most offensive thing about him [Sean Hannity]. He practices the laziest form partisan journalism - if Obama does it, it must be bad. Case in point - early in Pres. Obama's term, he went to a burger place with the media in tow. The outing elicited the sort of embarrassing-in-retrospect media fawning that was typical of the early Obama presidency, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for a president still in his honeymoon phase."
"Seizing on Obama's choice of Dijon mustard on his burger, Hannity sneered: 'I hope you enjoyed that fancy burger Mr. President.' That clip still enrages me, almost 3 years later."

Joe Muto Fox News Mole: His Biggest Allegations About The News Giant - International Business Times

Gawker.com has some comments and I honestly feel this one really zings it to Muto. As much as I think he was brave, he also acted immaturely.

This comment sums up exactly how I feel:

Hi Joe, can I be the first liberal to call you a douchebag?

Do you have that much of a delusion of grandeur that you think you are doing America such an amazing service? What a martyr you are, sacrificing your job, oh my goodness me. How exciting, a clandestine reporter in a big evil news company. Get over yourself, dude. And what a coward you are, denying it to Dianne's face! Why didn't you just admit it when the game was up? They were right to fire your a$$, and should've done so without pay. I hope they do sooner rather than later and stop wasting their money. I'm glad they found you so fast. Poor you, your dream of being a secret hero has been cut short. For God's sake, you were an idiot, using your login to get stuff on them, the other posters are right. And I hate to tell you, but what you got wasn't even all that special. Big deal, Romney talking off-air to Hannity about horseback riding. BFD. Like no one out there knows he's a stuck up snob? Most politicians are. What were you hoping for, a guest spot on Jon Stewart with that revelation? He's said it 100 times already.

I am not a viewer of FOX News Channel myself, per se, although I am in the FNC family. I worked there for several years, both on the TV side and the web side, and had some great years there. It was a great job to have, on both sides. And I am going to very well stick up for them. You and I both know that they don't sit around inventing facts. They are just trying to fill 24 hours of air time with what they think their viewers want to watch. I hate to tell you, there is nothing wrong with that. You don't have to like every second of it. Shows fail on every network, FNC is no different. Some of the shows were not earth-shattering, admittedly. But let's be honest, most of the higher ups in management at FNC are smarter and more shrewd than you.

You and I both know that most of the newsroom is liberal. In my time we weren't all fans of Bush, far from it. But we had jobs and we worked to support the business, which is a news and talk channel. It's not some crazy right-wing machine where people sit around conspiring to tell falsehoods and tapping their fingers together saying "Eeeexxxcellent..." no matter how fashionable it is to call them so. It's a business. Think what you want about them, but Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch found an untapped market and capitalized on it, you can't help but admire that. It's called America. Sure, there have been a lot of mistakes made there, but that's everywhere. So the viewers are nutjobs for the most part, everybody knows that. So FOX Nation is an abomination. So what? What do you care? You were happy enough to take the job and stay and take the paychecks for as long as you did and pay your rent with them, unless Mommy and Daddy pay your rent, which wouldn't surprise me.

I also hate to tell you that we live in a country that upholds the right to free speech, and that whether or not you The Great Joe Muto agree with what they say - FNC in general, the talk show hosts, the guests - they have a right to say it. I hated hearing Michelle Malkin or Ann Coulter on the channel as a guest, but I don't rule the world, and neither do you. It's called programming. I wasn't always thrilled to see Newt Gingrich or Geraldo or God forbid Judith Regan in the halls, or hear Bill O'Reilly bellowing. But it's not my company. It's a business. Everyone knows O'Reilly is a pompous ass, you didn't uncover anything special. But people out there, whoever they are, are free to be his fans. Think what you will of him or them.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't shit where you eat"? You don't like it at FNC? You should've quit like a normal person. You wanna be all highbrow and purist and holier than thou? Go to CSPAN or NPR or BBC. Although you will soon find there is perceived wrongdoing everywhere. Nowhere is perfect, no matter what industry you're in or the political inclination of the unfortunate company that hires you next. How old are you, anyway? Don't make a life lesson for you into something bigger than it is and think more of yourself than you deserve. You went into the wrong biz kid if you expected Wonderland. They work hard and party harder and live and breathe news and strategy and ratings and viewership and journalism (yes, journalism) and they cater to people whose opinions apparently differ from yours. If you don't like it, get out.

The truth is, that place gave you an opportunity and a job. You complain you couldn't get another job, despite trying? Did you ever think - maybe, just maybe - that it is YOU that is the problem there? Both I and my fiance have done very well since our employment at FOX News Channel for many years. You are quite ignorant, not to see the business for what it is and respect it. Welcome to the way the world works. And may I say on behalf of the FNC family: you are an ungrateful bastard.

Hi Roger. It's Me, Joe: The Fox Mole

A job is a job. No one always agrees with their boss or the politics of their workplace. And as someone who used to work in news, I do agree that all channels have their agenda. Also, Muto may have a hard time getting a job after this. Sure he can work for Gawker.com for a while, but after the novelty wears off, where can he go?

yes, because quizzing one person from each channel about light topics like pop culture and world history is so indicative of the quality of the channel itself.

talk about an overreach.

It's as much about your skill with the buzzer as it is about knowing the answers. Ask Ken Jennings. (And my biodad, who was on the show in the 80s! He lost.)

Every Jewish media outlet in America swooned over the fact that she performed to Hava Nagila wearing an American flag leotard.

CNN Eying Reality Shows, Talk Shows As Way Out Of Ratings Slump: NY Post

Could we be getting "The Real Housewives of CNN" soon?
As the oldest cable news network struggles with plunging ratings and a leadership vacuum at the top, the New York Post reported Monday that it is looking to reality shows as a potential savior.
Citing documents, the tabloid wrote that executives have been talking to Hollywood agencies and producers, mulling a late-night talk show in the style of "The View," a slew of reality programming on weekends, and searching for hosts from outside the normal TV news arenas.
If the plans go through, CNN would be far from the first cable network to stray somewhat from its original identity. An outside producer who has been involved told the Post, that the meetings were akin to "that moment when MTV decided to stop playing music videos."

:banghead:

If this is really true, then the world has fallen apart. Sorry, can't find a better expression for that. How can what was once a serious news station reduce itself to shitty, gossipy programming? I even saw Ted Turner tell Piers Morgan that he wants CNN to be like the New York Times - and it should be.

If this is really true, then the world has fallen apart. Sorry, can't find a better expression for that. How can what was once a serious news station reduce itself to shitty, gossipy programming? I even saw Ted Turner tell Piers Morgan that he wants CNN to be like the New York Times - and it should be.

i'd almost rather all the cable news stations morph into something else because they certainly aren't doing news very well.

Wow, CNN is on a downward spiral. But they have been for quite a while now.

Maybe there's some sort of CNN curse- the Daily Mail has pictures of Anderson's boyfriend making out with some other guy. I hope they were already split, because that sure is a lousy way to find out that someone's cheating on you.

CNN is abhorrent. Sometimes I'm not sure if I even like it more than Fox News. Well, they can have some halfway decent online content, but their news programs are pretty bad.

Zakaria was always my favorite thing about that network. His show is good, discounting the plagiarism. The plagiarism is unfortunate.

Yes, Michael Jordan will go down in history as a failed baseball player and not a great basketball player. :tsk:

I don't know what point FOX was trying to make, but it was pretty lousy to describe Jordan like that.

Ha! Nice try FOX! I'm sure even your most loyal fans will not see Jordan as a failed baseball player.

Huffington Post

R.E.M. is the latest music act to request that its songs not be played in a political context.

The band -- which broke up last September after 31 years together -- released a statement on their website denouncing Fox News for playing its seminal hit "Losing My Religion" during coverage of the Democratic National Convention.

"We have little or no respect for their puff adder brand of reportage," R.E.M. lead singer Michael Stipe said in the statement. "Our music does not belong there." R.E.M. said that Fox News is not authorized or licensed to use the song -- a cheeky way for the cable news network to comment on the perceived lack of faith at the DNC -- in the future.

R.E.M. is far from the first band to push-back against Republicans during election season. The Silversun Pickups sent Mitt Romney's campaign a cease-and-desist letter after the Republican candidate for president used their song "Panic Switch" during a campaign event.

“The song was inadvertently played during event set-up before Gov. Romney arrived at the location," Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul told HuffPost. "As anyone who attends Gov. Romney’s events knows, this is not a song we would have played intentionally. That said, it was covered under the campaign’s regular blanket license, but we will not play it again.”

Similarly, Dee Snider requested that Paul Ryan stop playing the Twisted Sister anthem "We're Not Gonna Take It" during his campaign stops. (Said Ryan spokesman Brandon Buck after the rock star's demand: "We're Not Gonna Play It anymore.")

To read the full R.E.M. statement, head over to the band's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom