The most trusted NEWS source in America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Robert Reich Blames 90's Righty Rise on Fox News ... 2 Years Before It Existed

Former Obama economic advisor, Clinton Secretary of Labor, and Berkely Prof. Robert Reich claimed yesterday in his column at Salon.com that Fox News played a role in the conservative resurgence of 1994:

In December 1994, Bill Clinton proposed a so-called middle-class bill of rights including more tax credits for families with children, expanded retirement accounts, and tax-deductible college tuition. Clinton had lost his battle for healthcare reform. Even worse, by that time the Dems had lost the House and Senate. Washington was riding a huge anti-incumbent wave. Right-wing populists were the ascendancy, with Newt Gingrich and Fox News leading the charge. Bill Clinton thought it desperately important to assure Americans he was on their side.

But Prof. Reich overlooked one minor detail: Fox News Channel’s first broadcast wasn’t until October 7, 1996.

The success of Fox News brings out the moonbat in even the most austere of liberals.

Cable news in general, is, in my view a blight on the culture. I'd even question the reach of its audience among the population as a whole, but whatever it is, it's too much.

As for conservatives and FOX, it's symptomatic of an internal nihilism. A nothing. Where the highest possible goal is to piss off some imagined ideological opponent. News? This isn't news, it's drunk gladiators fighting off a lame boar for the edification of a late-period Roman emperor.

Fox News host: Palin should show Obama more respect

By David Edwards
Monday, February 8th, 2010 -- 9:46 am

Palin should show Obama more respectFormer Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin attacked President Barack Obama's popularity Saturday, mocking him as teleprompter-happy even as she was cribbing off her hands.

Fox News Channel host Brian Kilmeade told his fellow hosts Monday morning that Palin should show a little more respect.

What?

Speaking to delegates at the National Tea Party convention Sunday, Palin told a roaring crowd, "This is about the people and it's bigger than any king or queen of a tea party and it's a lot bigger than any charismatic guy with a teleprompter."

On Monday, Kilmeade said he found the remarks troubling.

"The only thing I was uncomfortable with [was] when she said it is bigger than any guy with charisma and a teleprompter," Kilmeade quipped. "That guy is still president. I think you got to -- you got to -- you're no longer the candidate. He's not the guy you're running against."

"I think you got to give that title its due even if you don't respect the policies," he concluded.

I'd go with PBS. Outside of opinionated broadcasts like Bill Moyers or even the McLaughlin Group, the news is straightforward. But still, this is part of the stereotypical "liberal media" according to those trapped in Pleasantville.

CNN is (mostly) tabloid and/or sensationalist bullshit, IMO.
While they don't have a partisan axe to grind, I think their hysterics (or perhaps histrionics?) on certain issues both political and generally topical make them actually worse than Fox or MSNBC when it comes to being watchable. Just as far as my tastes go, that is. At least O'Reilly and Olbermann can be interesting. Outside of an occasional interesting Larry King interview, CNN could cease to exist as far as I'm concerned.

NPR, I don't listen to enough to have an opinion.

pretty much all cable news is poison. there are individuals who are good at what they do, and the way that CNN can blanket a major event is remarkable.

but we'd be better off without it.

Especially if the opportunity to quench that Schadenfreude thirst* is involved. CNN is all over it.

To be fair, they do a good job on some things, but "poison" is a good way to describe it.

*ETA
I understand the only reason they do it, is because that's what people like to watch. So it's not anymore a serious news organization than FOX or MSNBC in my book. It's capitalizing on a demographic.

I cringe every time I see a clip where Blitzer or someone else says, "..blah hot air the best political news team in the world steam ...". :huh:

Fox News Is Serious About This Whole Obama Pronoun-Counting Thing

"Much attention has been given to President Obama's persistent use of "I" when giving speeches to sell his administration's agenda. Is he taking responsibility -- or, as his critics say, is he still in campaign mode? FoxNews.com is tracking the president's speeches all this month and will report back after each to see whether The "I's" Have It."

MSNBC Contributor Crawford Resigns, No Longer Willing to be 'Cartoon Player for Lefty Games'

No longer capable of tolerating his colleagues at NBC, political contributor Craig Crawford announced he has resigned from MSNBC post.

"Three months short of my current contract I sent the following to the boss, Phil Griffin: ‘Phil, Just wanted to give you the heads up that my situation with MSNBC has become so unrewarding for me that I've decided to move on,'" he wrote this morning on his Congressional Quarterly blog.

"I simply could not any longer endure being a cartoon player for lefty games, just gotta move on to higher ground even if there's no oxygen," Crawford later elaborated on a comments thread.

Great thanks Craig.

Only Fox is more watched.

Wonder why? :hmm:

Tea partiers need the preaching to the choir mentality, those who can think for themselves usually get their news from several news sources, preferably those that aren't so transparent.

Or did you have another explanation?

Tea partiers need the preaching to the choir mentality, those who can think for themselves usually get their news from several news sources, preferably those that aren't so transparent.

Or did you have another explanation?

It's not just the tea partiers who watch Fox...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom