The most trusted NEWS source in America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RF2t3.jpg

One thing we have learned

the American public had no problem voting for her over others that were better qualified. Don't misunderestimate her.

One thing we have learned

the American public had no problem voting for her over others that were better qualified. Don't misunderestimate her.

Thankfully, she won't be eligible to run in 2024. Watch out in 2028.
But, can she raise the $115 quadrillion dollars it will take to run a competitive presidential campaign then?

interesting story: Fox News Insider: "Stuff Is Just Made Up"

it's a pretty long story so i won't post it all here, but here's the first few paragraphs:

Asked what most viewers and observers of Fox News would be surprised to learn about the controversial cable channel, a former insider from the world of Rupert Murdoch was quick with a response: “I don’t think people would believe it’s as concocted as it is; that stuff is just made up.”

Indeed, a former Fox News employee who recently agreed to talk with Media Matters confirmed what critics have been saying for years about Murdoch’s cable channel. Namely, that Fox News is run as a purely partisan operation, virtually every news story is actively spun by the staff, its primary goal is to prop up Republicans and knock down Democrats, and that staffers at Fox News routinely operate without the slightest regard for fairness or fact checking.

“It is their M.O. to undermine the administration and to undermine Democrats,” says the source. “They’re a propaganda outfit but they call themselves news.”

And that’s the word from inside Fox News.

Note the story here isn’t that Fox News leans right. Everyone knows the channel pushes a conservative-friendly version of the news. Everyone who’s been paying attention has known that since the channel’s inception more than a decade ago. The real story, and the real danger posed by the cable outlet, is that over time Fox News stopped simply leaning to the right and instead became an open and active political player, sort of one-part character assassin and one-part propagandist, depending on which party was in power. And that the operation thrives on fabrications and falsehoods.

Meanwhile, Media Matters revealed that during the 2009-2010 election cycle, dozens of Fox News personalities endorsed, raised money, or campaigned for Republican candidates or organizations in more than 600 instances. And in terms of free TV airtime that Fox News handed over to GOP hopefuls, Media Matters calculated the channel essentially donated $55 million worth of airtime to Republican presidential hopefuls last year who also collect Fox News paychecks.

And of course, that’s when Murdoch wasn’t writing $1 million checks in the hopes of electing more Republican politicians.

And that's okay, but when someone like Olbermann does it he gets suspended. Mmkay.

(Though, actually, that might speak more to the standards of MSNBC vs. Fox on that issue, but still, just very funny nonetheless)

Anywho, unfortunately, even if the stuff in that article is concrete truth (which I'd have no problem believing about most, if not all of what's said here), the fact that the person sharing this is an unnamed source is going to make it harder for people to take these accusations all that seriously. But it's pretty obvious there's at least some truth to what's being said here, and I wish more people would notice it.

Angela

Not a ton of examples offered in that piece. And his assertion that FNC was a mouthpiece for Bush or never criticized him in any way is simply wrong. I could list all day the instances when Fox personalities attacked the administration.

:down:

I suspect you might have a different definition of "attacked" than the rest of us do in this context.

Also, here's what I have an issue with in regards to the whole discussion on Fox News. If there are "personalities" that "attack" an administration, be it Republican, Democrat or what have you, that suggests an editorial bias and is therefore not journalism. On its own it's perfectly legitimate, but it is not news. Rather it is opinion, pure and simple, so stop trying to uphold it as some sort of unbiased counterpoint to the "mainstream media."

Not a ton of examples offered in that piece. And his assertion that FNC was a mouthpiece for Bush or never criticized him in any way is simply wrong. I could list all day the instances when Fox personalities attacked the administration.

But the assertion that FNC is a propaganda outlet that wants to destroy the Democrats is correct. I mean, that's pretty impossible to deny at this point, isn't it?

you're right.

by the middle of Bush's second term, it began to dawn on the Republicans that their role was to help Fox in the ratings. they worked for Fox, not the other way around.

Glenn Beck breaks down American Judaism for you. In responding to last month's open letter from Jewish Funds for Justice in the WSJ, which was signed by 400 rabbis and rebuked Beck for insinuating that "Puppet Master" George Soros was a Nazi collaborator in his youth:
[radio show co-host] PAT GRAY: And now remember, this is all fueled by an organization that Soros funds, that has a bunch of progressive rabbis that came out against Glenn and said--

BECK: OK, you have to--hang on just a second. When you talk about rabbis, understand that most--most people who are not Jewish don't understand that there are the Orthodox rabbis, and then there are the Reformed rabbis. Reformed rabbis are generally political in nature. It's almost like Islam, radicalized Islam in a way, to where it is just--radicalized Islam is less about religion than it is about politics. When you look at the Reform Judaism, it is more about politics. I'm not saying that they're the same on--

GRAY: No, obviously not.

BECK: --and they're going to take it at that, but--stand in line.

GRAY: "Glenn Beck says--"

BECK: It's not about terror or anything else, it's about politics, and so it becomes more about politics than it does about faith. Orthodox rabbis--that is about faith. There's not a single Orthodox rabbi on this list. This is all Reformed rabbis that were--that made this list.

[executive producer] STU BURGURIERE: Yeah, I don't know that for a fact. I know that certainly this organization is a progressive political organization. And that's fine.
"Yeah, I don't know that for a fact"--translation, here's our token CYA nod to actual reality, which would be that lots of rabbis from all four American Jewish movements (Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist) signed it. But whatever, the important point here is there are true, "Orthodox" Jews--like Beck's and Ailes' AIPAC buddies, for example, never mind that most of them aren't Orthodox--who are mostly Republican "not political in nature" except concerning Tel Aviv's interests; and then there are the closet Muslim/puppet master "Reform" types, who deviously don skullcaps for appearances' sake while pursuing liberal agendas, instead of piously chanting over their rosaries or whatever the hell it is they're supposed to be doing.

Last edited:
Anyone who watches Beck and agrees with him should be deeply ashamed of themselves and their stupidity. The rest of us shouldn't pussyfoot around this for fear of offending these ignoramuses.

And yes, before somebody here asks me whether I think that everyone who agrees with Glenn Beck is ignorant - yes, yes I do.

I don’t think you have to be ignorant just to believe it, I think you have to be stunningly ignorant just to check in at even the bottom level of consideration. I mean, the past few weeks on the Middle East, you would literally have to be tuning in with a completely empty mind on the subject* or there’s absolutely no way you could possibly take even one “Ok, I’m listening” type step forward with him.

*And given how far and wide he's been drifting lately, 'the subject' on which you have to be completely ignorant is pretty much 'the world'.

Mubarak Obama | Monica Crowley | Defense of Marriage Act | Mediaite

News broke today that the White House had told GOP leadership that it would not defend in a court of law the Defense of Marriage Act signed under President Clinton. The federal law defines marriage between a man and a woman, and had previously been defended by the Justice Department under previous administrations. This was the topic of conversation today on Fox News, and guest Monica Crowley told host Megyn Kelly that this decision was akin to a “dictatorship” calling the president “Mubarak Obama.”

Crowley took great exception to the Justice Department’s decision, calling it “beyond belief” before passionately stating that its the president’s responsibility to enforce the law that is on the books, not, in her words “to decide ‘well I don’t like that law so I’m not going to enforce it.’” Crowley then claimed that this was a “form of dictatorship” before referencing the president as “Mubarak Obama.”

Someone at the Fox News desk might have better prepared Dr. Crowley by letting her know that reports claim that, in a letter sent to House Speaker John Boehner, Attorney General Eric Holder said that the administration would continue to enforce the law until the court rules differently. So there’s that.

But the “Mubarak Obama” meme is officially out there. Expect to see it at a protest sign near you!

In one fell swoop, you get a nickname for protestors, a slap in the face to gay people, and an implication that Obama is Muslim. Go GOP! :hi5:

Well, if we really want to turn this back on her, one could argue that denying a certain portion of the population equal rights doesn't exactly scream "free country", but hey...

That is one sad, disjointed, pathetic excuse for an argument there. She went off in, like, five different directions. Consistency and logic are your friends, dear.

Angela

Salon, March 14
A Fox News website has picked up a hoax story about an Islamic council in Pakistan protesting the use of padded and colorful bras and presented it as fact. The story was illustrated with a picture of a woman's mid-section and carried the headline "Pakistan: Islamic Clerics Protest Women Wearing Padded Bras as 'Devil’s Cushions.'" (UPDATE 9:30: Fox has now pulled the story. See the original here.) The lead of the Fox Nation story, which sources the piece to the Indian news website sify.com, reads:

The Council of Islamic Ideology in Pakistan has protested the use of padded and colourful bras by Muslim women, and recommended that Pakistani Muslim researchers should try to invent an innerwear that makes female assets unnoticeable.​

...The sify.com story linked by Fox cites a "report" from yet another site called Roznama Jawani...a Pakistani version of The Onion, featuring such stories as "Karachi Preparing a Huge Ass Bat to Beat the Shit Out of Kamran Akmal," "Altaf Hussain Challenges Imran Khan to a Rap Battle to Settle Differences," and "Man From Peshawar Sues Red Bull. Says he has no wings!" The bra story on Roznama Jawani features a crudely photoshopped image of an Islamic council meeting with a large sign that says, "Future of Padded Bras." The story quotes an anti-padded bra protester saying that "Padded bras are evil as they make the breasts look bigger and perky...Only devil women show off private parts."
I was already laughing as soon as I read the "sourced to sify.com" part, but discovering that satire site was even better...

Actually, I was hoping people might enjoy a chuckle over a lighthearted story about a news network's gaffe. Hope dies hard, eh.

Fox News map of nuclear power plants in Japan.

You'll notice one on there called "Shibuyaeggman." Problem is, it doesn't exist.

There is however, in the Shibuya district of Tokyo, a nightclub called the Eggman. They've got it in the right spot on the map too.

I'm not even sure how they make the mistakes they make.

FOX-NEWS-JAPAN.jpg

Fox News map of nuclear power plants in Japan.

You'll notice one on there called "Shibuyaeggman." Problem is, it doesn't exist.

There is however, in the Shibuya district of Tokyo, a nightclub called the Eggman. They've got it in the right spot on the map too.

I'm not even sure how they make the mistakes they make.

FOX-NEWS-JAPAN.jpg

that is very funny

On his first day back from vacation, Glenn Beck addressed the earthquake in Japan, and said he thinks that it could be a "message [is] being sent" by God.

Speaking on his radio show Monday, Beck said, "I'm not saying God is, you know, causing earthquakes," before quickly adding, "I'm not not saying that either."

He then said that whatever one called God, "there's a message being sent. And that is, 'Hey, you know that stuff we're doing? Not really working out real well. Maybe we should stop doing some of it.' I'm just saying."

I'd love to see his blackboard analysis of this one.

He then said that whatever one called God, "there's a message being sent. And that is, 'Hey, you know that stuff we're doing? Not really working out real well. Maybe we should stop doing some of it.' I'm just saying."

Well, that's a crystal clear message. That stuff we're doing? Oooooh, of course! That stuff. Gotcha, God. Thanks for sending Glenn Beck to set us straight. :up:

Alright, gang. I think it's high time we stopped doing that stuff. Seriously, cut it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom