The mosaic vs the melting pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how bout naming 4 or 5 of the 26 Indonesian provinces?
Capital of the country?
What language(s) are spoken?
Who is the President?

The fourth largest country in the world, the largest population of Muslims in the world, and I would be willing to bet money that most people are wholly ignorant about it.

first of all, Canada does not share a border with indonesia. Second, we don't even speak the same launguage as them.

you got all of them right, now my turn

California
Indiana
Florida
West Vriginia
North Dakota
Alaska
Maine
Texas
Utah
Colorado

Washington D.C

California- Sacramento
Indiana- Indianapolis
Florida- Tallahasse
West Vriginia- Charleston
North Dakota- Bismarck
Alaska- Juneau
Maine- Augusta
Texas- Austin
Utah- Salt Lake City
Colorado- Denver

So sharing a border is the only requirement for the absence of ignorance? How very fascinating.

sharing a border helps. Do you know the president of Ethiopia off the top of your head? Or the capitol? It's only the poorest country in the world.

border war!
:lol:

ravenstar, what are you trying to accomplish here?
all sula said was 'not all american's are ignorant' and proceeded to complete your 'quiz'.

Addis Ababa was the capital of Ethiopia last time I checked. I'm not positive of the name of the ruler in charge at the moment, but I do know that they've just "hopefully" finished a war with their neighbor Eritrea over border disputes.

Afganistan is considered to be the world's poorest country.

I suppose it may be a blow to the prevailing wisdom in the Canadian psyche that takes comfort in the knowledge that "all Americans are ignorant" but it seems to me that bolstering one's ego at the expense of making sweeping generalizations about someone else is hardly a stable or productive way to go about forming opinions. On the subject of ignorance, in actuality, I have found that neither North American country is all that good when it comes to being aware of the world around them. And in my opinion that is of greater value in the long run.

Oh and just for the record...I've been mistaken for a Canadian on numerous occasions. Oh the heresy. ;)

sulawesigirl4 said:
So how bout naming 4 or 5 of the 26 Indonesian provinces?
Capital of the country?
What language(s) are spoken?
Who is the President?

The fourth largest country in the world, the largest population of Muslims in the world, and I would be willing to bet money that most people are wholly ignorant about it.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I *think* I can answer a few of those questions and so I'm just wondering if my answers are right...

1 - I don't know any of the provinces :(
2 - Jakarta is the capital?
3- I'm not sure, but I think there is a language called Indonesian? And because the country is a former Dutch colony, perhaps Dutch is still spoken there? And I'm sure there are many other dialects spoken in different areas of the country, but I can't name any of them.
4 - President Megawati? (spelling?)

It is shocking how little most of us know about other countries, I think our media are partly to blame for this as we hear very little about events in other countries in comparison to our own. Also, schools very rarely teach anything about the history or literature or current events of other countries - particularly countries in Africa and Asia.

There's so much we can learn from other countries, and our lives are richer when we learn about cultures different from our own. Our lives would be so much poorer if we refused to read books such as Crime and Punishment or War and Peace because their authors were from the USSR. Or imagine if we didn't listen to music by Beethoven or Bach or Rachmaninov because they are from other countries. (I'm writing this from a British perspective). We can learn so much from people of different nationalities or different cultures, and ultimately that can only benefit us.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I *think* I can answer a few of those questions and so I'm just wondering if my answers are right...

1 - I don't know any of the provinces :(
2 - Jakarta is the capital?
3- I'm not sure, but I think there is a language called Indonesian? And because the country is a former Dutch colony, perhaps Dutch is still spoken there? And I'm sure there are many other dialects spoken in different areas of the country, but I can't name any of them.
4 - President Megawati? (spelling?)

:up:

3 out of 4 is great! I am impressed! :)

1. Aceh, Bali, Bengkulu, Irian Jaya, Jakarta, Jambi, Jawa Barat, Jawa Tengah, Jawa Timur, Kalimantan Barat, Kalimantan Selatan, Kalimantan Tengah, Kalimantan Timur, Lampung, Maluku, Nusa Tenggara Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur, Riau, Sulawesi Selatan, Sulawesi Tengah, Sulawesi Tenggara, Sulawesi Utara, Sumatera Barat, Sumatera Selatan, Sumatera Utara, Yogyakarta (and no I didn't type those all from memory...used to be able to recite them along with their capitals, but it's been a while;) )
2. Jakarta is the capital.
3. The official language is Indonesian also called "Bahasa Indonesia"; there are thousands of other languages used within the country.
4. Megawati Sukarnoputri is the President.

And yes, War and Peace and Crime and Punishment are great novels.

Sula, your attempt at proving that this Canadian doesnt know much about Indonesia is laughable. I can take Ireland for example and ask you 5 questions and u might not be able to answer them. Does that mean your inferior no. Why should u know anything about Ireland. how much does your life involve Ireland. I could say name 3/4 provenices or 10 counties. The capital of 5 of them their independence. Why would u know that unless u had some intrest in that country that is not usual.

Canada and US are neighbours, we are eachother biggest trading partners. Without eachother we would be at a disadvantage. If this is an arguement about who knows more about the world u'll probably win but i can guarentee you if you were to take 1000 Americans and 1000 Canadians the Can. would have more common knowledge of the other.

bonoman said:
if you were to take 1000 Americans and 1000 Canadians the Can. would have more common knowledge of the other.

that was understood from the outset. sula simply said not all american's are ignorant. even with her limited american capacities she proved such:p

as a canadian, it is my belief that 'american's are stupid' is a view which propagates in large part within the minds of canadians rather than the actions of americans.

Back
Top Bottom