The Israel / Palestine situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CannabilisticArtist,

Jews coming from Europe consulted with the british about settling on unoccupied land in Israel/Palestine because after 1917, the British were the only legal authority in the area and controlled trade and immigration to Palestine. Before the Jews had been asking the Ottoman Empire because after all it was Ottoman land they were moving on to. NO country existed in Israel/Palestine so there was no one to legally consult with except the British who now controlled the area. Again, with the end of the Ottoman Empire, the unoccupied area's of what is now Israel/Palestine became available to anyone on the planet.

I'm aware that other area's were considered for a Jewish homeland, but it made sense to settle them and give them a homeland in unoccupied area's where no country at that time existed and where several hundred thousand Jews were now living as of 1917.

Only the radicals who wanted to claim Palestine all for themselves were opposed to Jewish movement into unowned, unoccupied area's. Even with 7 million people today there is still much unoccupied land in the area. Back in 1948 there were only a total of 2 million people in the area, so claims that people were being crowded out are unfounded.

Friction between various Jewish Groups and Muslim groups existed as early as 1905 when the area was legally apart of the Ottoman Empire. But the Ottomans who owned the area allowed Jewish Emigration to continue.

The UN agreement in 1948 was a fair one but the Palestinians and Arab countries rejected it. The Palestinians could of had far more land than they have today, plus an indpendent state, and peace, but they along with the Arabs rejected the UN treaty of 1948 and attacked Israel.

STING2 said:
CannabilisticArtist,

Jews coming from Europe consulted with the british about settling on unoccupied land in Israel/Palestine because after 1917, the British were the only legal authority in the area and controlled trade and immigration to Palestine. Before the Jews had been asking the Ottoman Empire because after all it was Ottoman land they were moving on to. NO country existed in Israel/Palestine so there was no one to legally consult with except the British who now controlled the area. Again, with the end of the Ottoman Empire, the unoccupied area's of what is now Israel/Palestine became available to anyone on the planet.

see this is where the problems lay, first off:
the area was NOT unoccupied, it was NOT fair game for anyone on the planet. there were scattered tribes there, and they were there for a long time. just because it wasn't a country doesn't mean it's right to go ahead and take it over, which brings me to my next point:
different interpetations of ownership. European views of ownership demand maps to be drawn land to be bought. tribal ownership comes from working on the land and inheriting it. the british had NO right to take over a piece of land JUST because it wasn't a proper country, who makes those rules anyway? who decided what country is what? who decided where your home should be? you have been living in the same place for a long time, then some people come over and sudden buy your land from under you? it makes no sense. and just because these peasants were scattered and had no common voice does not make them less human, which was exactly how the british used to view colonised lands. lands filled with untamed godless heathen for them to educate and enlighten. they thought they were doing these poor people a favour by colonising them.
as much as i love england, i believe this whole situation to be the british empire's fault. much like what is going on between india and pakistan. they suck out the economy, fuck up the place, then leave the people to pick up the pieces.

Last edited:
CannibalisticArtist said:

European views of ownership demand maps to be drawn land to be bought. tribal ownership comes from working on the land and inheriting it. the british had NO right to take over a piece of land JUST because it wasn't a proper country, who makes those rules anyway? who decided what country is what? who decided where your home should be? you have been living in the same place for a long time, then some people come over and sudden buy your land from under you?

Well, I think this is just a bit naive. I mean we are talking about all this happening in the 20th century, it was not like the British were colonizing anything.

In any event, I keep reading complaints about how the Jews and the British handled this, but what is the argument for the "Palestinians" of that time to have the land? If there is a valid argument as to why at that time (early 1900's) the "Palestinians" should have had that land I would like to hear it.

If not they are terrorizing a people who settled, formed a democracy, and try to live in peace.

How about this for a far flung analogy, what would the US do if the Native American tribes who live here on reservations decided they had had enough. What if they started to walk into discos, pizza joints, and shopping malls strapped with explosives and shards of metal and nails (you know to do MORE damage to the innocents around them) and started to blow themselves up? What if they started demanding that the "occupiers" leave the land that is rightfully theirs? They were here many more years than the British settlers were, we have no right to be here, I mean hell, should I be afraid to go outside and get a turkey sandwich because I took land from the Native Americans? How would our government react?

CannibalisticArtist,

I don't think your understanding me. I never said the area was completely unoccupied, I did say there were large area's of land that was unoccupied and not in use by ANYONE! More importantly this was the land of the OTTOMAN EMPIRE! That is a fact. The OTTOMAN EMPIRE had owned this land and other area's for hundreds of years! Its their land and suddenly they did not exist anymore. This is not some wild area of the world made of only tribes. Ownership has been a key concept in this area for thousands of years.

There were scattered tribes here and there of course. Some were Palestinian Muslims, others were Christians, others were Jews. What right do Palestinian Muslim have to claim all the unoccupied unused land in the area, ABOVE Jews and Christians!? They don't have any rights above Jews and Christians that had been living there for centuries as well. Jews and Christians living in the area just as long as the Palestinian Muslims, however smaller their groups may be have just as much right to form a state as Palestinian Muslims do.

I'm sorry but there is simply no united group of Muslims that have a right to claim all the unoccupied land in the area. Again this is former OTTOMAN land. Remember that Jewish Emigration started under the OTTOMAN EMPIRE, not England!

You say that tribal ownership comes from working on the land and inheriting it. When I say unoccupied land, I'm talking about the land, which is much of it, was NOT worked on by ANYONE or anyones to inherit it. It would be like the way Vermont or Wyoming

Remember this land is OTTOMAN land and they ceaced to exist in 1917. They were defeated by Allies in World War I for their unlawful support and engagement in that War. The British were only in the area for 30 years, and there would be a Jewish state or at least an attempt at one with or without British control of the area. Remember, the OTTOMAN EMPIRE allowed Jewish emigration to the point that at the time of its break up, there were over 200,000 Jews living in Israel/Palestine before the British ever entered into the area.

I think you forget the context in which the British came into the area. World War I was going on and the OTTOMAN EMPIRE was fighting against the allies along with Austria-Hungery and Germany. The British never took over any country, but occupied this area do to the military situations that happen in war. The Break of the OTTOMAN EMPIRE created many problems. The British did consult with the people of the area about the formation of a states, but this is a difficult process. They only had 30 years and they tried to bring security and stability to the area to allow the formation of states by people in the area, which included Jews, Christians, as well as Muslims. The British never decided where anyones actual home should be!

NO one bought anyones land out from under them! That is a myth! Absent of a country that one is apart of, Absent of living and working on a particular area of land, that land is unoccupied and does not belong to ANYONE. Ones closer geographic proximity to an area of land they have never used or lived on before does not confer ownership! Jews from outside Israel/Palestine had every right to move to the area after the fall of the OTTOMAN EMPIRE( as they had done before with the legal permision of the OTTOMAN EMPIRE) as did any Muslim or Christian from outside of Israel/Palestine. The British never blocked emigration to the area by Muslims or Christians from outside the Israel/Palestine area, yet you suggest they should have excluded Jews from moving there?!?! Thats very anti-Jewish if you feel that way.

Bottom line, Jews were moving to Israel/Palestine, long before the British were in control of the area, with the legal permission of the OTTOMAN EMPIRE who's land it had been legally for hundreds of years. When the OTTOMAN EMPIRE broke up at the end of World War I, unoccupied and unused land, which much of the land in the area of Israel/Palestine was, became available to anyone who wanted to settle it. Every group in Israel/Palestine had the right to attempt to form a state. There was never any Christian attempt, but certainly attempts by the Jews and the Muslims. There is definitely NO rational basis to conclude that Jews did not have a right to form a State in the area that is now Israel/Palestine. 200,000 Jews were already living in the area when the Ottoman Empire broke up in 1917/1918. The Palestinians should have signed the UN deal in 1948 which gave them a massive amount of land in the area, but instead along with 5 Arab nations brutally attacked Israel the first day of Israels existence.

In Israel/Palestine, the British did not suck anything out but rather were in possesion of land that belonged to the OTTOMAN EMPIRE that no longer existed. Its a shame the UN did not exist to solve the problems in 1917, but its good the British were there in 1917, which helped prevent the radical elements in the area(on both sides) from completely slaughtering everyone. The Palestinians and Arab countries unwillingness to negotiate and settle things peacefully in 1948 is the most of the reason for the problems we see today!

but the arabs that lived in the area after WW1 did not request thei own state, they were happy with what they had. why did the Jewish people that lived in the area want their own state? i realize that they have a right to do so, but they could not just request and area which they originally shared with arabs. i imagine they might have consulted with the arabs there and got rejected, so they turned to the british and they just gave them land. land which did not belong to them. why didn't the christians also request their own state? hell the land was free for all, except for the few tribes that actually LIVED there.

i'm not blaming the Jews, rather bad planning by the british. for pete's sake, anti-semitism was at it's height in Europe at the time, these Jews had to go somewhere safe. and since muslims are semites too and the area had a population of jews, they figured the middle east to be the best place. too bad it had to turn out this way.

Last edited:
ouizy said:

Well, I think this is just a bit naive. I mean we are talking about all this happening in the 20th century, it was not like the British were colonizing anything.

In any event, I keep reading complaints about how the Jews and the British handled this, but what is the argument for the "Palestinians" of that time to have the land? If there is a valid argument as to why at that time (early 1900's) the "Palestinians" should have had that land I would like to hear it.

it might have not been actual colonisation, but it's not too hard to imagine the tribes that lived there believed to be so.

the arabs never even wanted a state, they were just happy with whatever land they had. they only started their nationalism movement in response to the Jewish state hood call. they used to all live together, then the Jews suddenly wanted to seperate. fo course i'd expect the muslims to do the same. the Jews only wanted to seperated BECAUSE they had been influenced by the Jews from european countries, these european Jews were coming into tribal areas and buying and selling land. they could not settle for simple tribes, they needed states, counties and borders. again different ideas of ownership.
the now palestinians should have state because they want to, exactly the same reason the Jews wanted their state back in the day. nothing about who owns what. the Jews wanted a state and they got it. the Palestinians want a land and they should get one too.

CannabalisticArtist,

It seems that STING2 is posting the history of what happened in that area, and instead of responding to the actual facts, you seem to be asking why the other groups Muslims, Christians et al. DIDN'T do everything in their power to take, share, or co-habitate on the land.

You Say:

but the arabs that lived in the area after WW1 did not request thei own state, they were happy with what they had.

So why then do they have such a problem now with the way things were solved? It seems they made bad decisions over 80 years ago that are now coming to light. Had they thought it was a good idea, they too would have created a state of their own and prospered.

why didn't the cvhristians also request their own state?

Who knows? But have you ever heard of the Vatican? Do you see the Italians blowing themselves up to regain the land the Vatican resides on?

From the tone of your posts it seems the theme is that the Jews did something wrong by doing all they could to claim themselves as a state, instead of looking at the groups you are defending and asking, why didn't they do all they could?

I have to quote STING2 here:

The British never blocked emigration to the area by Muslims or Christians from outside the Israel/Palestine area, yet you suggest they should have excluded Jews from moving there?!?! Thats very anti-Jewish if you feel that way.

I would like to read a post that gives some clear response as to what basis and right the current Palestinians have to claim the land (specifically over the Jews), and not simply the negative side of the question which are the reasons why the Jews should not have been allowed to claim the land.

Remember two things:

1. It is not only Jews that live in Israel.
2. The Palestinians have had numerous chances to do what they could to gain land, live in peace, and start to prosper, but have
CHOSEN not to. That is on thier shoulders.

ouizy, you still do not get it. i am not posting about what should be done now, i am posting about what happened in the past to perpetuate the conflict. the whole situation now is skewerd from what originally happened. palestinians now want to kill Jews because they simply hate them and vice-versa. they are bred into hating their adversary. it did not start like this as many people think. i do not have a solution to the problem, never did, and do not pretend to have. it's a complicated and delicat situation that has only gotten worse.

STING is posting historical info, i am posting my THOUGHT to what was really happening. you have to take in info from both sides and make your own educated choice on where you stand, not adopt other people's choices blindly. every source is baised so you have to make up your mind. you and sting obviously stand by the Jewish claim, i stand by both because they each have solid claim but against the british at the time because they were a big part of the problem.

also show me were i said that the british should have blocked immigration of jews to israel, i just said that might have been part of the problem. as a matter of fact, i recall from reading a book that the british DID actually try to regulated mass immigration of the jews, it just wasn't very sucessful especially after the holocaust.

GOT IT.

I think we have kind of beat a dead horse, but I think there is one thing we can all agree on and you said it:

the now palestinians should have state because they want to, exactly the same reason the Jews wanted their state back in the day. nothing about who owns what. the Jews wanted a state and they got it. the Palestinians want a land and they should get one too.

this I can agree with, as long as it comes through diplomatic means.

I will say this one more time, just imagine what it is going to be like when all this is over, the violence has stopped and Israel and Palestine are peaceful neighbors...

CannibalistArtist,

When the OTTOMAN EMPIRE broke up in 1917/1918, there were many ethnic groups throughout the region, not just in Israel/Palestine that aspired to have their own state. Jews aspired to have their own state partly because they did not want to be a minority in a Muslim based state. There was a movement for a Muslim state of Palestine before the break up of the OTTOMAN EMPIRE as it became clear that it would lose the war.

The British never gave the JEWS land that did not belong to them! They gave them the land they already owned, or land that was unoccupied, unused by ANYONE and therefor open to anyone to settle it! It was important that the British kept law and order in the area after the end of the OTTOMAN EMPIRE to prevent Anarchy. 30 years later in 1948, the UN came up with the perfect proposal two form two states and the Palestinians rejected it.

You continue to speak as if the Palestinians Muslim were the only ones living Israel/Palestine and that simply is false. Fact is, most of the land was unoccupied and unused and did not belong to anyone. The British never blocked Muslims or Christians trying to settle this unoccupied unused land. It is true that they temporarily blocked Jews from settling there because of the fighting they were having trouble containing. But again that was temporary. I don't have an explanation of why the Christians did not request a state. Maybe they did, but there wasn't enough support among Christians themselves for it.

I've tried to look at this always from an objective and unbiased point of view. By doing research, I've learned to denunk many of the myths that suround the conflict. The one claim I don't accept by Jews is the simple claim to the land from thousands of years ago. But the Jews don't have to state that to have much of the land they have now. They can legally stake their claim on the fact that they settled in unoccupied and unused area's in a land that after centuries was no longer owned by the OTTOMAN EMPIRE because it did not exist anymore. The OTTOMAN EMPIRE did not leave a "Will" or anything to indicate who should inherit unused unoccupied OTTOMAN government land.

STING2 said:

They can legally stake their claim on the fact that they settled in unoccupied and unused area's in a land that after centuries was no longer owned by the OTTOMAN EMPIRE because it did not exist anymore. The OTTOMAN EMPIRE did not leave a "Will" or anything to indicate who should inherit unused unoccupied OTTOMAN government land.

the ottoman empire did not even care that much about the area and it's natives. it was ASSUMED by EUROPEAN TRAVELLERS that the area was unused and unoccupied but it was occupied, or else where would the problem be? if the area was truely empty then no one would honestly care if the Jews took it, least of which some tiny muslim tribes. the fact is the european Jews joined the native Jews and tried to blend in with other groups but could not so they requested their own state. this continued seperation, poor communication and the fact that the European Jews cultivated the area extremely well and turned it prosperous made the tensions even bigger and the gap wider between them and whatever tribes that did not like them.
do you realise how different the European Jews were in comparison to the natives? including the native Jews? maps, borders, states, politics made no sense to these people. they were simple tribal people. YOUR western politics did not apply to them, all they could understand was that they lived there, and they had lived there for a long time.

ouizy said:

I will say this one more time, just imagine what it is going to be like when all this is over, the violence has stopped and Israel and Palestine are peaceful neighbors...

things are so different now, it hard to imagine that. a friend of friend of mine died in the recent suicide bombing and i know that crap was done out of pure hate. i just hope one day they get sick of fighting and just put their guns down. we can always hope.

CannibalisticArtist,

There are large area's in Israel/Palestine even today that do not have people or business living on them and there are 7 million people there. Of course the land, even unoccupied land has been clearly divided up. At the end of World War I there was less than a million people. Certainly Palestinians Muslims occupied land in the area, BUT NOT ALL OF IT! This is where the Jews came and settled, in unoccupied tracks of land. The conflict came from Muslims who wanted to prevent any Jewish state anywhere in the region, in addition to racism. There were also a minority of Jews that leveled claims to own all of Israel/Palestine. The extremist on both sides created the conflictive environment. The Majority of Jews were happy to settle in unowned, unoccupied land.

This is a fact, and a close look at the population at the time compared to the number of square miles in the area will easily reveal this. Given the fact that most tribes or communities clustered together in certain area's, means the amount of unoccupied land was even greater than simple ratio of population to square miles of land would reveal.

The Palestinians Muslims have no right to claim land that they never occupied or used, or even settled on OVER Jews, Christians or any other group who might be settling on that land. The Palestinians Muslims land, is the land they had used and settled on, but NOT unoccupied, unused land in the region, unless of course they moved and settled there, which they were free to do. The OTTOMAN EMPIRE is not a European country, but they still had owned this land for hundreds of years and maintained law and order there. All the citizens in Israel/Palestine at the begining of World War I, were citizens of the OTTOMAN EMPIRE. That includes the 200,000 Jews living there. In the absense of the Ottoman Empire and any governing body, the ethnic groups of the area each had a right to form their own state. They could claim any land that they had settled. There is nothing from a tribal or western view that would exclusively give Palestinian Muslims a right to land they had yet to use or settle on in the area OVER the rights of Christians and Jews who were living there to settle in those unoccupied area's! The Palestinians also had no right to have exclusive control over who could emigrate from other area's of the world on to land that was former unsettled, unoccupied OTTOMAN government land!

In response to STING2
STING2 said:
It is a fact that an area of land that now has over 7 million people only had 400,000 back in 1890. I'm refering to Israel/Palestine. In 1890, Israel/Palestine was OWNED by the Ottoman Empire! The land was over 90% Muslim, but there were significant number of Jews and Christians. The Ottoman Empire approved Jewish emigration all the way until its end in World War I. Going back to the population level in 1890, 400,000, what this means is that most of the land was unoccupied. Certainly a Palestinian, Christian, Jew had a right to their house or business and the land it was on, but what about all that empty land to the south or certain area's on the coast, that would be government land, the government being the Ottoman Empire!
The land was NOT owned by the Ottoman Empire but rather was under its jurisdiction . It was privately owned on its most part as a result of the 1858 Ottoman Land Code I'll comment about later. The fact that there were "only" 400,000 inhabitants by 1890 (with a population in its 90% Muslim it makes for 40,000 between Jews and Christians) and therefore a low demographic coefficient resulted, does NOT mean that the land was there for anybody to take. I'm sure you know that the area was mainly rural at the time. People actually lived on it in villages or small farms and cultivated it and even if there might have been areas not permanently occupied but which were actually transitory sites for local nomad tribes, it does not mean that they couldn't be privately owned or that anybody could come in and forward claims on them. Many countries hold thousands of acres of unoccupied land which may be privately or state-owned and nobody in their right mind would deem logical that an alien people could advance a claim on them. OK Palestine was not a country then but the League of Nations' Covenant draft which regulated the future territories formerly under the Ottoman Empire among others is crystal clear: "Certain communities" (Palestine included) "formerly belonging to the Turkish Empire have reached a stage of development where their existence as independent nations can be provisionally recognised subject to the rendering of administrative advice and assistance by a Mandatory until such time as they are able to stand alone."

At the end of World War I the Ottoman Empire was no more. Suddenly there was no government or country. Certainly indviduals have a right to the land that live on, where their house or business would be, but most the land in the area was unoccupied land formely owned by the government of the Ottoman Empire. The end of the Ottoman Empire meant that unoccupied formely Ottoman government land became available to ANYONE willing to colonize it.

This is a misconception. As I've already said most of the land was indeed privately owned - this means that even if the entity under whose jurisdiction the land was, ceased to exist - nobody outside Palestine had any right whatsoever to appropriate and much less colonise that land. Military action does not entitle victors to expropriate private property. What may happen after an armed conflict is that the said land passes under the victorious power's jurisdiction which was NOT the case with Palestine. Palestine did not become part of the British Empire nor it was put under British jurisdiction - it was a declared a Mandate . The Mandates system was a transitory solution devised at the end of WWI to deal with colonial areas throughout the world and actual portions under the conflict losers' jurisdiction which had been annexed by them at some time or other and were inhabited by distinct ethnical, cultural groups which had a common background and a "national" identity linked to the places they lived in. This was the case of places which later became Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, etc. Since the situation of the latter and that of colonies was not analogous, the Mandates system classified areas as A, B and C-Mandates. A-Mandates were areas which were considered evolved and organised enough to become independent states in the near future. Palestine was classified an A-Mandate. It was clearly specified that the role of the Mandatory power for an A-Mandated area was specifically limited to "the rendering of administrative advice and assistance" in order to help the future nation to organise itself towards independence. This means that the Mandatory power, in this case Great Britain had no right whatsoever to arrogate to itself through the Balfour Declaration, the prerogative to pledge to the Zionist Organisation a land that was not theirs to give away. Furthermore, during the 25-year period in which they acted as Mandatory for Palestine they violated the spirit of their mission which was as I said, exclusively of a supervisory and advisory nature to aid the local population in the constitution of an independent state, in the same manner as it was done with Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan, by riding roughshod over the local population's will by encouraging the installation of an alien people in Palestine with the goal of establishing a "Jewish national home". It must be noted that it was explicitly indicated in Article 22 of the League of Nations' Covenant establishing the Mandates system that "the wishes of these communities (those living at the time in the mandated territories) must be a principal consideration". A similar recommendation was present in President Wilson's post-war 14 points.

Furthermore it must be observed that the people in this and other areas under the former Ottoman Empire which later became Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan actually helped the allied powers during WWI against the Ottoman rule since they did not identify themselves as "Turkish" or "Ottoman" even if they had been ruled by them for several hundreds years, but rather as nationals of the areas where they lived. In fact in exchange for their help they were promised independence after the end of the war. Whilst this promise was fulfilled in the cases of the mentioned states it was not in the case of Palestine. BTW the war ended in 1918 and the Balfour Declaration which favoured the creation of a Jewish national home in Palestine was drafted the year before when Palestine was still under Turkish occupation and even if the fall of the empire was impending the British had not yet been granted any authority over that land. In fact the Mandates system devised at the League of Nations' Covenant was passed in 1919 and Great Britain was not assigned the Mandate of Palestine until 1920.

The British may not of handled the situation from 1917 to 1947 in the best way, but the fact of the matter is, in the absense of the Ottoman Empire, states had to be formed in this area, and certainly Jews, as well as Muslims and Christians had every right to create their own states based on the land they were living on.

As you say local people had every right to create their own states based on the land they were living on. Jews were a minority in Palestine. In fact the "thousands of Jews" living in Israel at the time of WWI amounted to a bare 10% of the total population of Palestine, as multiple sources report including the officially appointed American King-Crane Commission of 1919 which clearly specifies that "it is to be remembered that the non-Jewish population of Palestine is nearly nine-tenths of the whole". It is also fact that many of those Jews had cohabited with the Arabs in peace for generations and were not particularly interested in creating a "Jewish independent state" as they did not see any need for it. It is also fact that there was not any movement in Palestine on part of the existent Jewish population to bring up the case for a Jewish State at the end of WWI when the independence of Palestine was a major issue since Palestine had been declared an A-Mandate i.e. candidate for independence in the short-term .

The idea of a Jewish national home was born in the bosom of a non-Palestinian Jewish entity - the Zionist Organisation - which clearly did not represent the will of the Jewry in general. In fact many Jewish people living in different countries around the world who had done so for generations and felt completely integrated in those societies were completely against the idea of the constitution of a Jewish national home since they saw that this initiative might jeopardise their current status in the countries were they lived, as it was possible that with the existence of a Jewish State they could start being considered foreigners in their own countries. This preoccupation was explicitly expressed by Lord Edwin Montagu - a Jewish member of the British Cabinet at the time of the Balfour Declaration. Also many representatives of Jewish religious groups were opposed to the concept of a Jewish state since they believed that it linked their condition of Jews - a status related in their eyes exclusively to faith - with secular motivations they considered extraneous to the Jewish faith.

On another account, regarding the status of the lands, the knowledge of some facts may prove useful. In 1858 the Turkish authorities passed the Ottoman Land Code. This new law indicated that agricultural land under the jurisdiction of the Empire required from that point on registration in the name of individual owners. Most of the land in rural Palestine had never been registered previously since it had formerly been treated according to traditional forms of land tenure, generally of communal usufruct. Peasants had never held titles to their land, but by the tenure system were implicitly recognised the right to live on them, cultivate and pass them on to their heirs. These provisions were never informed to or at least understood by peasants who had never had the need of holding any title to be able to live and labour on the land. In fact keeping most of the peasantry in the dark was in the interest of the Turkish upper classes since it allowed many of their members, under the provisions of the 1858 law, to register large areas of land as theirs. In any case the situation did not change for the peasants since they were allowed to continue inhabiting and cultivating the lands as they always had. Some other lands were not registered, which does not mean that they were unoccupied but rather that the inhabitants weren't aware of the need of doing so since as I said, it had never been that way. These lands were considered to be owned by "absentee landlords". Towards the end of the XIXth century some of these lands were purchased by incipient Jewish organisations (like ICA headed by Baron Maurice de Hirsch) whose aim was to facilitate the settlement of Jewish autonomous agricultural colonies in different parts of the world. In the case of Palestine this land was bought, with the approval of Turkish authorities, from "absentee landlords" (i. e. the Turkish state who acted "on their behalf") and even from actual Turkish ones. This wouldn't have constituted much of a problem if Jewish settlers hadn't been bound to agree with their mentors that the land they would come into possession of could never be re-sold or even leased to non-Jewish eventual purchasers/lessees and that only Jewish labour had to be employed in those settlements. This implied that Palestinian Arab peasants who had lived in the said land for generations under the tenure system and therefore naturally saw it as their own, were forced to leave. However this late XIXth century event was somewhat isolated in the sense that the idea then was not to expand Jewish establishment in Palestine in particular but rather to grant Jewish families the possibility to start agricultural businesses in the same manner as it was being done in other parts of the world. Furthermore while Turkish authorities had been more than helpful in evicting Palestinian Arab peasants from the purchased lands, they were not too keen on allowing indiscriminate non-Arab immigration.

At the end of the XIXth century the initiative of promoting Jewish settlements all over the world evolved into the idea of creating a Jewish national home under the newly created Zionist Organisation. The alternatives primarily considered by the Zionists as possible "Jewish national homes" were Palestine and Argentina. The latter was soon dropped since there was no possible way to back any claim on Argentinian soil, so their goal became Palestine on the grounds of a "historical connection" which bonded Jews to Palestine since it had been their homeland over 2000 years before, previous to their dispersation or "diaspora". This claim which could have never been given any serious consideration for its lack of any basic logic, however succeeded in prospering because of the sort of endorsement the Zionist Organisation had. In fact it received the support of rich and influential Jews all over the world who even constituted a Jewish National Fund with which to finance the operation of achieving the goal of a Jewish state. The fact that it was backed by influential people allowed Zionist authorities to lobby in favour of their cause at high governmental levels in countries such as France, the US and mainly Great Britain. As a result of this lobbying they obtained in 1917 the Balfour Declaration from the British government which openly favoured the establishment of a Jewish national home in Palestine, an initiative that was to gain foothold in Paris two years later and actual development under the British Mandatory from then on until the creation of the State of Israel in 1948. The Palestinian Arabs have always made a point regarding this declaration in that Palestine did not belong to the British for them to have any authority to give it away to whom they wished.

As soon as the Mandate for Palestine was established, the British, in compliance with the terms they had agreed upon the Balfour Declaration with the Zionist Organisation, opened the gates of Palestine to massive Jewish immigration against the wishes of the local population. This settlement had a clearly colonisation profile since the idea was to be able to establish, by replacing native people with immigrants, an increasing amount of Jewish population related to the total figures in order to be able to forward in the future a claim for statehood. To this end Jewish organisations busied themselves in the indiscriminate purchase of lands from "absentee landlords" for the settlement of immigrant Jews. This operation actually succeeded in evacuating large portions of Palestinian territory from Arab Palestinians since it pushed Arab inhabitants away from the land they had lived in for over 1200 years with no hope whatsoever of retrieval since the condition of no resale to non-Jewish purchasers held on more strictly than ever and the precise indication that only Jewish labour had to be employed prevented them from at least remaining as employed labourers. As it should be clear by now these lands were certainly not unoccupied, as even official British reports of the time explicitly state (1), but rather were by force with the aid of the Turkish authorities on a first stage and of the British Mandatory soon after WWI until 1948. While it's true that most Jewish immigrants ended up living in urban centres as opposed to rural ones, and therefore it was not explicitly needed for locals to be displaced in order to allow for immigrant establishment, it is noted that certain areas in large cities like Jerusalem, formerly Arab quarters, were torn down by the British Mandatory on the excuse of modernisation and destined later to the building of Jewish quarters as a retaliation technique for the Palestinian uprisings in demand for self-determination. Years later, Zionist terrorist activities performed mainly by the Irgun (attacks which included the ravaging of Palestinian villages during the WWII years and later) succeeded in kicking out more Palestinian Arabs of their lawful property, and literally put them in the condition of refugees unable to return to their property as it ended up being confiscated under the pretext of considering the proprietors "absentee". This is not to mention the hundreds of thousands refugees created after the1948 and 1967 conflicts. The fact that they fled did not entitle Israel to appropriate their lands since military conquest does not abolish private rights to property as a result of which it does not entitle the victor to confiscate the homes, property and personal belongings of the civilian population. It is natural that civilian population may panic during armed conflicts and therefore leave their property in search for safety. When military action subsides it is logical that they are allowed to go back to what is legitimately theirs. This is something Israel had committed to allow back in 1949 at Lausanne and never complied to in the same way that it did not comply to UN Resolution 242 in 1967.

(1) One of Britain's High Commissioners for Palestine during the Mandate, John Chancellor, recommended total suspension of Jewish immigration and land purchase to protect Arab agriculture on the grounds that "all cultivable land was occupied; that no cultivable land now in possession of the indigenous population could be sold to Jews without creating a class of landless Arab cultivators".

Why should any Jew be forced to live in a Muslim state when he has been living on certain land all his life. The UN compromise of 1948 was fair and gave the Jews the land they were living on and the "Palestinians" the land they were living on. The Israely state was cut into 3 parts and the "Palestinian state was fully connected. A fair agreement that Israel accepted. The "Palestinians" and 5 Arab countries did not and brutally invaded Israel to wipe it from the face of the earth on the first day of its independence.

A Muslim state? What else do you expect if the vast majority of the people living there were Muslim? In addition, no-one forced the Jews to go to a place where most of the population was non-Jewish. If they chose to live there they necessarily had to get used to the idea that they were a minority. On what grounds could they demand a separate state? I mean the US is in its majority Judeo-Christian, do you think it would be logical for the Muslim minority in the US to demand a piece of the country because they shouldn't be "forced to live in a Judeo-Christian state"? They chose to go there, they have to abide by the rules of the majority - if they don't like it they are free to go elsewhere.

The Israeli state was not cut into 3 parts - Palestine was. One of the parts became Israel. Re the "fair agreement": The partition of Palestine was already put forward by a British commission led by Sir Robert Peel in 1937 and by 1939 it was the same British government who recognised that it was an impracticable plan not only because Palestinians could never come to accept a proposal that deprived them of part of a land legitimately theirs but also because Zionists were not prepared to accept it either on the grounds that they claimed the whole of Palestine and even more to establish the site for the Jewish State. At this time, after unsuccessfully trying to reach an agreement with both parties, Great Britain drafted a White Paper by which it declared the unworkability of the partition plan and established its future policy in the area which postulated its intention of helping to conform an independent unified Palestine, with a Palestinian Arab majority, in 10 years. The creation of a unified Federative Palestinian State was again brought up at the UN in 1947 but the proposal was overridden by a formula which had been already declared unworkable 8 years before.

Re the "brutal" invasion of Israel in 1948: it is important to put this conflict within its right context. The 1948 conflict was the result of a 30-year policy in the area which systematically made a point of ignoring Palestinian claims to a land legitimately theirs and which instead of being amended in an international forum like the UN ended up by being endorsed even if it was clear that it created an unfair situation for the Palestinian Arabs. In addition, it must be noted that the Zionist forces did call for the conflict when during the period which spanned from the passing of the partition plan in November 1947 until the termination of the British Mandate in May 1948, Jewish paramilitary forces attacked and occupied areas the UN had allotted to the Arabs, as even Israeli sources describe. In fact almost every source describes that these forces, mainly the Irgun, resorted to terrorising tactics which brought about the exodus of thousands of Palestinian Arabs in fear. The intervention in Palestine of five Arab nations (much less equipped and trained than Jewish forces) later on to defend Palestinian Arab rights ended up in Israeli unlawful occupation of territories never assigned to them. In all fairness it has to be said that if the Arab coalition had won this conflict they would have more than probably retaliated on the Jews by expelling them from Palestine, confiscating their property, etc as the antagonism between both people (which stemmed exclusively from this conflict and was not ancestral at all, as both British and American official reports of the 20s and 30s state) was already well installed. In fact after their defeat they proceeded to expel a total of 200,000 Jews from the five individual states combined.

The West Bank and Gaza(taken control of in the 1967 war) are a different story but it should be noted that Israel has agreed to withdraw from these territories once a peace treaty is signed, just like they did with Egypt back in 1979. Israel has NEVER annexed the West Bank and Gaza and has no intention of doing so.

If putting the West Bank and Gaza under the jurisdiction of Israeli law is not annexing those territories I don't know what is. The UN Resolution 242 of 1967 directs Israel to withdraw from those territories and to allow Palestinian refugees back. Israel has ignored this resolution to date.

Israel is a democracy and a country of laws as is the USA. Its this fact about the USA that helped lead the civil rights movement for African Americans to victory in the USA. You think the Palestinians have it rough, think about what African Americans have had to go through to achieve civil rights. Yet, they succeeded in their goals with non-violent action because the US laws, government, and population were suceptible to such action unlike dictatorships. Non-violent action is the only way Palestinians will succeed in their goals as well. Israel is a democracy with a well educated citizenry and would respond in kind to non-violent action and peaceful negotiation, but it does take time and patience, but its the only way Palestinians can achieve their goals.

To judge the current episodes of violence simply as unprovoked "Palestinian violence" is to refuse to acknowledge what triggered them in the first place and to ignore that there also was Israeli violence which was most of the time more akin to offensive than to defensive tactics. In this scenario it is more than obvious that a "passive resistance" in the Luther King pattern would have never worked even if Israel is a democracy. Why? Because in the US neither Republicans nor Democrats were inherently by ideology contrary to granting equal rights to the Afro-Americans. In Israel conversely one of the two main parties, the Likud, has always been, in the spirit of early Zionism, clearly opposed to the existence of a Palestinian Arab State, and it is notorious that its leaders have always entertained the goal of holding the whole of Palestine as Israel's national soil.

As I've already said, even if non-violent action is the logical approach, how do you convince people who have been done away of what was lawfully theirs in the first place, who have been militarily occupied for 35 years, who have been forced to flee from their soil, who have seen Israel ride roughshod over every agreement they signed starting right back in 1949 at Lausanne when they agreed to let Palestinian refugees back and never did, to the 1993 Declaration of Principles which included the passing over to the Palestinian Authority certain territories, the redeployment of Israeli troops, the removal of Israeli settlements from the said areas, the creation of an independent Palestinian State in 1999, etc and most of it was never respected? Maybe if the cause of the present situation was analysed further instead of making judgements on the present results exclusively i.e. putting things into their right context it could help not only to a better understanding of the problem but towards devising more effective solutions.

Just like the claims of a massacre at Jenin were false so are most of these claims of IDF abuses. There were claims by some Muslims and organizations that reached 7,000 dead in Jenin. After a complete investigation it was found that only 48 had died. This would not have happened if the terrorist had 1. given up 2. not decided to base themselves in the center of a refugee camp.

False claims? Children who were found dead under the remnants of bulldozed houses were terrorists? Who bulldozed the houses? The number of 48, which is not proven either since even if the UN settled on that finally inexplicably since Israel did not allow immediate inspections of the area and could have easily cleared away evidence of a greater massacre, is however by no means "small" considering that the deaths were not by accident but inflicted by a deliberate action. There's no doubt that Israel would have raised hell if "only" 48 of its own civilians had died in similar conditions, not to mention that the IDF would have certainly refrained from bulldozing houses where suspect terrorists were inside if the civilians in them had been Israelis held as hostages. There is no way that the IDF's action in this case can be justified under any light since the fact that a particular group should use civilians as shields is no excuse to massacre innocent people.

More in response to STING2

Originally posted by STING2

I'm aware that other area's were considered for a Jewish homeland, but it made sense to settle them and give them a homeland in unoccupied area's where no country at that time existed and where several hundred thousand Jews were now living as of 1917.

Only the radicals who wanted to claim Palestine all for themselves were opposed to Jewish movement into unowned, unoccupied area's. Even with 7 million people today there is still much unoccupied land in the area. Back in 1948 there were only a total of 2 million people in the area, so claims that people were being crowded out are unfounded.

The British were not yet an authority in the area at the time of Zionist negotiation with them. As I've already said British authority in the area was limited by its mandatory powers which were to help the local population to conform an independent state. They had no right whatsoever to make decisions contrary to the will of the local population. There was no country at the time but it was agreed that there would be one in the near future. As I've already said the "unoccupied areas" either were private property in the western sense of the concept i. e. they were registered under someone's name or else were tenured lands. If there was hypothetically "non-owned land" the British Mandate had no right to assign it to the Jews or to anybody else without the prior consent of the local population through their leaders.

There were scattered tribes here and there of course. Some were Palestinian Muslims, others were Christians, others were Jews. What right do Palestinian Muslim have to claim all the unoccupied unused land in the area, ABOVE Jews and Christians!? They don't have any rights above Jews and Christians that had been living there for centuries as well. Jews and Christians living in the area just as long as the Palestinian Muslims, however smaller their groups may be have just as much right to form a state as Palestinian Muslims do.

They did not claim anything "above" the Jews and Christians but rather with the Jews and Christians who already lived there. As I already said, there were no separate Arab, Jewish and Christian movements originated in Palestine to claim three separate states, but rather a national movement which encompassed all the inhabitants of the area towards independence. In any case the Muslims were 90% of the population, if anyone should have been granted any sort of preferential treatment it would have to have been them since they were the majority. As you mention later Jewish immigration started at the end of the XIXth century which means that except for a very small group of Jews which had been living in Palestine for many years many of them were new to the area. Hardly could their claims be equal to those of people who had been living there for twelve centuries.

When I say unoccupied land, I'm talking about the land, which is much of it, was NOT worked on by ANYONE or anyones to inherit it.

There was hardly any land in this condition.

The British were only in the area for 30 years, and there would be a Jewish state or at least an attempt at one with or without British control of the area. Remember, the OTTOMAN EMPIRE allowed Jewish emigration to the point that at the time of its break up, there were over 200,000 Jews living in Israel/Palestine before the British ever entered into the area.

No, it wouldn't since the commitment to favour the creation of a Jewish national home is the result of a Zionist negotiation with the British which resulted in the drafting of an official British document: the Balfour Declaration of 1917. There had been immigration at the times of the Ottoman Empire but not on a sufficient scale to guarantee the creation of a Jewish State. Even after the end of the Mandate in 1948 considering the massive immigration both the legal allowed by the British and the illegal, the total number of Jews conformed 35% of the total population of Palestine. The figure of 200,000 by the end of WWI is erroneous. British official statements of 1919 estimated a total population of 700,000 of which 580,000 were Arab Palestinians and 60,000 Jews. As I mentioned before, on the same year the American King-Crane Commission also made mention of a population nine/tenths non-Jewish. In order to have 200,000 Jews in this scenario there should have been a total of 2,000,000 inhabitants which was the number approximately reached in 1948 after the massive immigration Palestine was subjected to during the previous 30 years.

The British never decided where anyones actual home should be!

Didn't they? Text of the Balfour Declaration:

"Dear Lord Rothschild,

I have much pleasure in conveying to you on behalf of His Majesty's Government the following declaration of sympathy with Jewish Zionist aspirations, which has been submitted to and approved by the Cabinet:

'His Majesty's Government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country.'

I should be grateful if you would bring this declaration to the knowledge of the Zionist Federation.
Yours sincerely,
Arthur James Balfour".

If this isn't deciding where anyone's actual home should be I don't know what is.

In response to Not George Lucas
Not George Lucas said:
1. Ariel Sharon is hardly a hero. He encourages terrorism against Palestinians. He's wanted for war crimes in multiple countries. He has done nothing to preserve peace in that region. While Yasser Arafat is not the greatest of men, he does condemn terrorist activity, and he has done a lot of work in the past to try to preserve peace. You may even recall that Arafat won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994, along with Shimon Peres and Yitzak Rabin, "for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East."

Fully agree about Sharon, not about Arafat though. He is well known for having promoted terrorist activities from as far back as the 70s. Though he seems to be more moderate now, I'm not so convinced of his "condemnation of terrorism". He has led negotiations for peace in the area but I wouldn't qualify him a champion of peace as the Nobel Prize would seem to imply.

2. Israel is not simply defending itself from suicide bombers. Israel has had a military occupation in Palestine for the last 35 years. Military occupations are by nature violent.

True. It is also true that there has been a fierce Jewish colonisation campaign of Palestine for over 80 years now.

These so-called terrorists are not trying to bring down the capitalist Americans. They're trying to get equal rights for their people. They don't want radical Islam to dominate the world. They want their famlies to be able to walk the streets without being harrassed or shot at.

They are not "so-called" terrorists - they ARE terrorists. Even if their motives may be legitimate the methods they indulge in cannot be condoned under any circumstance, in the same way most of the IDF's methods "to defend themselves" can't either. Even if the spirit of the intifada is to liberate Palestine from Israeli occupation, Hamas and Hezbollah ARE Islamic radical groups who use legitimate motivations to push forward their own covert agenda of expanding Islamic fundamentalism.

Furthermore, Israel is in violation of countless UN treaties and agreements and is responsible for multiple human rights violations, including (but not limited to) treating anyone who isn't Jewish (Muslims, and Christians alike) as second-class citizens, threatening, injuring, and killing doctors, nurses, and paramedics, shutting off water and electricity in hospitals, forcibly removing Palestinians from their homes at gunpoint, to make room for Israelis, and shooting Palestinian children for sport. And yet, somehow, it's unamerican to stand up to that?

Yes Israel is violating and has violated countless UN resolutions and agreements including the Declaration of Principles which kicked off the Peace Process arbitered by the US during the 90s.

I think anyone who is trying to save his/her country from military occupation and governmental oppression is justified in sacrificing him/herself for that cause. Palestine has been occupied by Israeli forces since 1967. Palestine has no army. Practically speaking, suicide bombing is an effective way of getting rid of invaders.
Defending yourself, your home, or your country is never terrorism. The Israelis want land. The Palestinians want freedom. Which is more important?

To defend their land is justifiable and even to sacrifice themselves for that cause is, but even if due to the lack of a proper army suicide bombing may be "effective" it is still terrorist tactics. What there is no doubt of is that through these tacticts they've succeeded in drawing international attention to their cause, but not certainly sympathy. Nothing justifies terrorism, even defending your own country or home. Let's not not mix up legitimate motivations with the legitimacy of the methods to defend those motivations. I mean no-one can justify bombings of schools, hospitals, stores, etc or the killing of the enemy's families to defend what's their own. This obviously cuts both ways.

In response to ouizy
ouizy said:
As a matter of fact, there is no such place as Palestine, and never was. This is the crux of the Palestinians debate, that they want Palestine back and the Israelis should leave. Go back to the old testament and see who occupied the land. I can tell you it was neither Palestinians, nor Israelis, but a complete mix of both and for one side or the other to claim the land today seems ludacris.

There IS and has always been such a place as Palestine, in fact at the time of its annexation to the Ottoman Empire in 1517 it already existed as such. Back in ancestral times (i.e. over 2000 years ago) there was indeed a mix of Philistines (that's where the name Palestine comes from) Canaanites and Jewish people over there. After the diaspora very few Jews were left and the non-Jewish communities which descended from Canaanites, Philistines and other conquering races continued to live there. These people mixed with Arab neighbouring tribes and with the expansion of Islamism became in their majority Muslim. They have been living in the area known as Palestine for over 1200 years and during that time time they cohabited while not in friendship but in peace with Jewish minorities who stayed or arrived there at a later time. When in 1917 the British agreed with the Zionist Organisation to propitiate the creation of a Jewish national home in Palestine nine tenths of the population living in the area referred to in all documentation of the time as Palestine were of Arabic and therefore Muslim descent. These people were not in any way consulted as to whether they agreed that their soil i.e. the one they had inhabited uninterruptedly for 1200 years should be given to the Jews, who had inhabited it 2000 years before but weren't at the time except for a bare 10% of the whole population, to create their own country. What is ludicrous is that the Zionist Organisation's claim of the land of Palestine on the grounds that it had been inhabited by the Jews 2000 years before was even seriously considered.

They need true leadership who will squash that behavior and who will ally themselves with the EU, the US and even Asian nations, to bring about some kind of peace settlement, because as we have seen, Arafat can do nothing, the US has done nothing, and Israel is simply in the position to give, but will only give when proper political action is taken. I believe in my heart Israel will give, should give, and eventually will even be more prosperous with a friendly Palestinian neighbor when the process is complete and the Palestinians are seen by the world as a peaceful state, and not a collection of refugee camps filled with terrorists the way they are now.

This is logical reasoning, but it is difficult to convince people who have been done away of what was lawfully theirs in the first place, who have been militarily occupied for 35 years, who have been forced to flee from their soil and who have seen Israel ride roughshod over every agreement they signed starting right back 1949. Putting things into their right historical context could not only help to a better understanding of the problem but towards devising more effective solutions.

Clearly the Plaestinian movement does not have the power from whatever land they have to defend themsleves, however they need to do so in a diplomatic, and not explosive way.

It would definitely be the ideal way, only that their claims have been historically ignored in the diplomatic arena and only given some consideration when they raised hell (terrorist attacks and so on). Not that such methods are justifiable in any way as I've already said, but if history is checked, who can blame them for turning to violence? There's a link to a page within the UN site, I've already posted it on another thread, which briefly describes the evolution of the "Question of Palestine". Within that page there are links to more comprehensive documents always within the UN site called "The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem" Parts I, II, II and IV which are very informative and well documented as well as full of lots of references to consult for further details.

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpa/ngo/history.html

He may condemn it, but he takes no action against it. If he truly is the leader of the Palestinian people, he would have the power to find, arrest, and imprision members of such groups as Hamas and Islamic Jihad, but he does not. Somehow they are always able to blow themselves up before he is able to bring them to justice. If he was a true leader such as Tony Blair, or even GWBush, he would have this power. He does not. Do you think for one moment that a group like Hamas would be able to operate in the US? Of course not. After the first incident, the rest of the conspiritors would be arrested and imprisioned. Not so in the Middle East, though. It goes on and on...

I've already given my opinion on Arafat and his less than convincing terrorism condemnations, however Hamas and Hezbollah get massive support from the people because they have seen that negotiation has got them nowhere because Israel is not willing to respect what it agreed to and because the international community esp the US who was the arbiter of this negotiation did not do enough to compel Israel into compliance of the terms it signed and not even the UN was willing or able to do so. If Arafat attempts to stop these groups he'll have most of the population against him which is not only detrimental to his own aspirations but which will undoubtedly favour the seizure of power on part of a more radical i.e. Islamic fundamentalist leadership. You can't compare the Middle East to any western country. Hamas couldn't operate in the US because no-one has any reason to support such a group over there.

The Israeli governments doctrine is to demolish the homes of convicted and/or deceased bombers (aka terrorists). Not to make way for Israelis, but to simply punish the criminals and their families if they blow themselves up. This has to be looked at as the opposite of what Saddam Hussein is doing by paying these families $10,000 for what their criminal child has done by blowing themselves up. As for shooting Palestinian children for sport, this is just another example of how you let your feelings take over what you write and allow immature thoughts to come out in your writings. That simply is not true, and is quite offensive.

The homes bulldozed at Jenin were not terrorist homes, but rather civilian homes were it was suspected that terrorists were hiding. Before this episode there have been scores of reports of Israeli attacks on Palestinian villages and towns which go as far back as 1948. I've never heard of Isrealis killing children for sport and would certainly hope that it isn't true, but there have been many reports from organisations like Amnesty International and even the UN Commission for Human Rights which state repeated violations of human rights on part of the IDF in detriment of Palestinian civilians. Also as joyfulgirl has already said, random, routine shootings of Palestinian civilians by Israeli soldiers and settlers have been repeatedly reported by these organisations and are proven fact.

I will go back to a statement I made a while ago. I beleive that the UN must occupy Israel and the Palestinian territories with troops for a specific period of time while negotiations take place. I believe any infraction of a specific set of rules the UN dictates by EITHER side should have international action taken against them. I do not think these two groups of people can do this by themselves, and there is no reason for the violence to stop at the rate they are going. Both sides deserve better and it is going to take a third party to give this to them.

This would be a logical solution, though I doubt Israel would be willing to accept it, since they've got more to lose.

nobody even identified themselves as Palestinian until the 1950s. Before that they were simply considered Arabs. The land of Israel was a Jewish state beginning about 1,000 years B.C. The Jews only dispersed in the year 70 AD because they were defeated by the Romans. The area did become controlled by Muslims around 700 AD or so and was part of the Ottoman empire.

There is a lot of documentation prior to the 50s that refers to the said area as Palestine and to its inhabitants as "Palestinian Arabs". Re remote history: the overall facts are correct though it must be mentioned that the "Jewish state" that began around 1000 BC under King David did not span until the diaspora in 70 AD. In fact it only lasted about 100 years as a unified entity in the way King David conformed it since it was divided in two parts, Israel and Judah, after King Solomon's death around 900 BC. This division weakened the Hebrews' power and Israel finally fell to Assyria around 700 BC and Judah to Babylon (Persia) in 586 BC. Jerusalem was destroyed and the Jews were carried as slaves to Babylon. Some years later they were allowed back to an area named Judea, a district of the territory known as Palestine and were allowed considerable autonomy under the Persian rule. In 333 BC the Persian hegemony was replaced by a Greek one as a result of Alexander the Great's defeat of the Persians. It continued to remain under Hellenistic domination under the Ptolemies and Seleucids. Around 140 BC the Jews rebelled and succeeded in establishing an independent state but were again defeated some years later by neighbouring tribes. Judea was renamed Syria Palaistina and many Jews were expelled from the area. In 63 BC Jerusalem was taken over by the Romans. In 70 AD after years of civil disorder Emperor Titus laid siege to Jerusalem and finally the Jews definitely dispersed from the area. In 638 AD when the Arabs entered Jerusalem, the area became known as Filastin and has had continued Muslim presence up to date. The inhabitants of the area were not forced to convert to Islamism but eventually did in their majority about a century later. They also adopted the Arabic and Islamic culture. After almost 900 years under different Muslim dynasties' rule Palestine was annexed by the Ottoman Empire as a distinct province in 1517. The area was divided into several districts, such as that of Jerusalem. The administration of the districts was placed largely in the hands of Arab Palestinians. The Christian and Jewish communities, however, were allowed certain autonomy.

The Arabs never claimed that Israel is theirs because they were indigenous people--they claimed it as an Islamic land. Muhammed wasn't even born until the 600s, which makes their claim really ridiculous.

Who says they claimed it as an "Islamic land"??? They claimed it as the land they lived on for the past 1200 years. If there is a ridiculous claim that is the Zionists' since it was based on the grounds that the Jews had lived in that land over 2000 years before, ignoring both the situation of the world at that time (they certainly were not propitiating that the Italians take over all what was under the Roman Empire) as well as what happened in the place during the 2000 years they had not lived in it.

The problem right now is that the Palestinians and Arabs agreed to negotiate for a final settlement peacefully and ended up w/ a deal that would give them 95% of the West Bank, all of Gaza, and a capital in part of Jerusalem. That wasn't good enough for them so then they started up again with the violence.

Violence did not start again because what it was offered to them "was not good enough for them" (which will never be for many of them since they see that they were dispossessed of the land their immediate ancestors lawfully lived in) but rather because most of what was agreed in the Declaration of Principles, Oslo II, the Wye River Memorandum, etc during the period 1993/99 was never completely fulfilled including the fact that the Palestinian State had to be created in 1999 and such a decision was postponed at President Clinton's request on a letter to Arafat against the promise of the complete fulfilment of the peace process in one year's time. Nothing was completely accomplished and with Sharon's visit to the Al-Aqsa precinct in September 2000 the situation blew over.

It seems one side is "re-negging" on an agreement, and is doing so by blowing up innocent people. I think we all agree the violence has to stop, however, to base claims on a land that never rightfully belonged to a group of people is incorrect.

Well Israel did not respect its part of the agreement at its proper time. Why did they increase Jewish settlements in areas they had to turn over to the Palestinian Authority esp during the Netanyahu rule? Why did they refuse to hand over all of the West Bank and Gaza Strip when they had to? Why did they refuse to hand over access routes and water supply control to areas they had agreed would be under the Palestinian Authority? Violence has to stop - yes. The land belonged to the people who were living there at the time and had been doing so for over 1000 years, if that isn't enough to claim a land as theirs I don't know what is. I can't understand why conversely it is acceptable that someone should base a claim on a land that belonged to them 2000 years before and which they did not inhabit at least in a majority for that period of time.

It's too simple. They were actually living there and had been doing so for generations during the previous 1200 years.

Rainbow said:
Invaders? Are you saying that Israel invaded Tel Aviv? Or the cities near it?

Yes. Before the massive immigration of Jews after WWI and until the creation of the state of Israel in 1948 Jews were only 10% of the population in the territory of Palestine.

you can even be more cynical and say that the british gave the jews israel because they wanted them out of europe.

No it has nothing to do with that. It had more to do with putting a dent in the Muslim world. Don't forget that the Arab nations formerly under the Ottoman Empire had deep cultural, racial and religious affinities and therefore were natural allies - in fact they later conformed an Arab League, that the Egyptians had been causing problems with the Suez Canal and that the control of oil was already becoming an issue at the time.

Pacotalica said:
If you were to do a comparison; whatever wrongs the Israelies have commited against Palistinians since the British gave them Israel (even if it wasn't the theirs to give) is a spec of dust in comparison to the atrocities commited against the Jewish people. Violent acts that have been going on for centuries, against them.

In truth there is virtually no period in history where the Jews have not been persicuted. With exception of the spread of Christianity when Judaism was more accepted, they have never known an extended period of peace. You would be hard press to find a place where they are truely accepted. And lets not forget or deny the Holocost. That nearly brought the extinction of their entire people. And they have endured the atrocities time and time and time and time again. They have always stayed strong and kept faith in their religion and their beilefs. For some it was the promise of the Holy land that kept them going. The promise of a land where they could be at peace. So it is something much deeper then simple dirt or space they are fighting for.

No-one denies the horrors Jews have undergone throughout history only that there's no reason why the Palestinian Arabs have to pay for them.

The events in WWII played a major role in the destiny of the region, since the massacre of Jews on part of the nazis, installed worldwide the idea that as no country could guarantee that such events against Jewish people would not happen again, it was logical that Jews should be allowed to live in a country of their own. Even if the claim to establish a Jewish national home in Palestine was never related to persecutory motives against the Jews it became inextricably linked to them after WWII for no valid reason whatsoever other than the international community's remorse for not having been able to prevent the Holocaust.

U2Bama said:
If Palestine has no army, then wouldn't ALL of the Palestinians who are killed by the Israelis be classified as "civilians"?

U2Bama, you surely realise they mean non-terrorist population. And yes your statement about them having a police force under the Palestinian Authority is correct.

In respomse to nbcrusader
nbcrusader said:
Actually, Israel has given up land for the sake of peace.

What land???

Israel is surrounded by peoples who would, bottom line, like to see all Jews dead. This is something that Americans, living in relative security, will never fully comprehend..

Some of them undoubtedly would in the same way the likes of Sharon would love to see Palestinians wiped out. Let's try to be fair in our judgement.

I think this highlights the fact that even a well-known respected journalist approaches the Israel-Palestine issue with a bias. Mr. Pilger is not a judge nor has the power to declare what is illegal.

A bias? Why? What makes you think that your own position is unbiased? Mr Pilger has not declared Israeli occuppation as illegal, he is echoing what the international community through the UN Resolution 242 of 1967 has already stated, as joyfulgirl has already said.

I believe we should start, as Ouizy?s post suggests, with a greater understanding of the historical context of the current situation. It is a far greater value in understanding the current conflict that various antidotal accounts.

Agree.

Ultraviolet7:

Well I knew it would not be long before you would come in with your anti-Israel on everything points of view. Sorry, but I just finished reading every single one of your post in entirety and am not in the mood for a rehash of past discusions at the moment. I disagree with everything you've had to say, but I just don't have time to go into everything at the moment.

I disagree with your contention that there was no unoccupied land in Israel/Palestine in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I would have to see actual documented proof of this, which of course may be fabricated by the Arab side. I mean actual names of people and the square miles they actually owned, where it was, and how it was illegally taken from them. I don't mean an example or generalizations either. There is no mass movement of Muslims off land in the late 18th century to make way for Jews recorded.

There is no way that with only 400,000 people that most of land in Israel/Palestine was already occupied. I'm not just talking about land suitable for farming, I'm talking about literally every square mile. Were talking of an area that had a population density of less than 40 people per square mile just by dividing the population by the land area. Most of the people were clustered into certain area's leaving large tracks of unoccupied land. Certainly all the land is definitely owned or by someone, private or government "today", but even with over 7 million people in the area, that are still massive area's that one could walk for miles without seeing another human being.

The Ottoman Empire were not just surpervising the land, it was their land, it would still be today if it was still a country. It had been their land since they took it in 1517 from the Mamelukes. So it was perhaps illegal, but the Turks of the 1900s don't have to give it back just because their ancestors took it illegally 400 years earlier. If were going to get into that, then the claim by some Jews that its their land because they were there 2,000 years ago becomes valid.

Just because the Jews made up 10% or 20% of the population does not mean that they don't have a right to form a state. When the Ottoman Empire colapsed, no country existed and certainly no Palestinian Muslim had the right to force Jews to be member of their state. The Jews had every right to form a state of their own, no matter how small. When no country exists, an ethnic majority has no right to force Jews rightfully living there to be a member of their Muslim state. The Palestinians Muslims have no right to claim all the land in Israel/Palestine just as the Jews do not either.

Israel is a democracy and while one political party may be opposed to Palestinian rights, Israel is a democracy and non-violent action would be effective where terrorism and war obviously has not been. Look at what the Palestinian Muslims could of had in 1948, but they said no to the agreement. Sorry, but I find it a little fishy that the day the 5 Arab countries decide to supposedly defend their Palestinian brothers is the day that Israel declares its independence. Self defense?!?!, I'm sure thats what they've always said to defend their actions on that day.

My parents grew up in the southern United States and know full well the difficulties faced by African Americans in obtaining civil rights. There were blocks of both parties that were opposed to civil rights. One thing that you have to understand about US politics is that not every issue comes down on party lines. Only 110 years before the civil rights movement, it was the law of the land in the USA to own slaves. After the Civil War while African Americans were free, their road to gain full civil rights was a long one and was resisted at every turn in the begining by the majority of Congressman. It took African Americans almost 100 years to get the Civil Rights due to them. During this time thousands were murdered by white extremist and their suffering ignored by an uncaring public. Yet through out, they new the principles of the US government and democracy of the nation would eventually lead them to victory and full civil rights. They accomplished their goals through non-violent action, even though in the late 1800s, they had virtually no real political support at all.

The Palestinians Muslims violent actions since 1948 in securing and independent state have been a terrible failure. Their terrorism and war's with their Arab "brothers" have just led to the loss of more of their land and refugees. The fact is, there never will be a Palestinian state until it ceases being a potential terrorist state. They need to prove that they can live in peace with Israel and reject the violent actions since 1948 that have prevented them from being able to form a state.

Even if you don't have much faith in non-violent action, wouldn't it be worth a try after 54 years of violence that has not succeeded in achieving the goal of an independent state? Many other countries even countries that our suffering oppression have had non-violent movements. Where is the Palestinian Muslims non-violent movement? Its their key to statehood!

Jenin was a legitmate military operation to destroy a terrorist cell. It is amazing that only 48 civilians were killed and is to the credit of the IDF that civilian losses were kept low. There is not any undisputed proof that any single civilian was killed on purpose at Jenin! That is a fact! Accidents occured as often does in the confusion of combat at night in an urban center. There were houses blown up by Palestinian terrorist that contributed to the number of 48 civilians that died in the fighting. Certainly terrorist houses were bulldozed, but one has to prove that IDF soldiers bulldozing the house new that only civilians were still in there once the procedure started. It is not IDF policy to bulldoze houses with only civilians in them. If terrorist are still fighting or firing from the house though, it does become a legitmate military target. If it was the IDFs goal to kill Palestinian civilians, they could have wiped out the entire population back in 1967! We all know what would happen if the roles were reversed and the terrorist had control of Israel!

There are people all around the world who suffer in worse conditions than the Palestinians, yet that don't strap bombs to themselves and go into disco's to blow up Israely teens listening to U2. This is just boneheaded and stupid as all terrorism is boneheaded and stupid. Accomplishes nothing except to purposely ruin the lives of innocent people! Its sick, just plain sick to target innocent people that have no control over your problems!

Hey if you think its legitimate or understandable, try exlpaining that to our fellow Interferencer RAINBOW who lives in Israel.

As a side note, I find it interesting that you mention Jewish "terrorism" before 1948 yet fell to mention Palestinian Muslim terrorism dating back to before 1905 against Jewish civilians in the Israel/Palestine area.

It would behoove the Palestinians to try alternative methods such as negotations and non-violent action in order to achieve their objectives. Set backs in the peace process or temporary delays are no justification to run off and kill teens listening to U2. The African American civil rights movement suffered all kinds of setbacks over a period of 100 years, but they knew that they could win through non-violent action because of the system of laws and democracy that the USA was founded on. People change over time, and politicians and political parties change much more rapidly in as little as 2- 4 years sometimes. As far as convincing people of their views and rights, the African American population had a far greater uphill battle at the start of the 1870s than the Palestinians do today. The Palestinians can achieve statehood through negotiation and non-violent action! It is a fact that violent methods to achieve statehood have failed for the past 54 years.

Sting2
I knew that it wouldn't be long before someone accused me of being "anti-Israel". Only I thought it wouldn't be you in view of the civilised way we have conducted our discussions in the past albeit our diametrically opposed points of view. I'm sorry to see that because you have no solid argument to bring forth to contend what I've posted which is, as you are perfectly well aware of not "a fabrication of the Arab side", but backed by historical documentation, most of it from British official sources of the time, you should choose to attack me. There is no way you can accuse me of being "anti-Israel" because I NEVER stated or implied that Israel has no right to exist. The fact that I see that Palestinians have legitimate rights over their soil, something which has been recognised by the international community through specific UN resolutions cannot in any way be interpreted as being "anti-Israel" and not even pro-Palestinian. In fact I'm neither since I have no particular affinity with the Palestinian people nor with the Muslim in general and much less do I have aversion for the Jewish people since I'm partly of Jewish descent myself. If it had been the other way round or it had involved the Balinese, Scottish, Dutch, Peruvian, you name it instead of Palestinians my view of the situation would be exactly the same. If I'm "anti" anything that is injustice . In this case and from the research I've done consulting both Zionist and anti-Zionist sources as well as neutral ones as official UN reports, British documents of the time, etc I've come to the conclusion that the Palestinian people have been the object of an injustice. This does NOT mean that I'm against the existence of a Jewish state especially after the atrocities they were victims of before and during WWII on part of the nazis. What I'm against of is the manoeuver the Zionist Organisation with the support of the British in the first place and other powers later on performed in detriment of the Palestinian people to achieve that goal.

I'm also sorry to see that you had the need to twist my words by saying that I "don't have much faith in non-violent action" to make your own point. There is no way that you can accuse me of being pro-violence because there isn't a single comma in any of my posts which could lead to such an interpretation. In fact if you had really read every single one of my posts as you claim, you would have noticed that in my responses to Not George Lucas and ouizy as well as in past exchange with you I have always condemned terrorist action and been favourable to the diplomatic way out. The fact that I believe that Palestinians have a legitimate motive to justify their fight DOES NOT mean that I believe that the methods they use are legitimate. I've made this point clear throughout my posts, if you choose to ignore it it's your own business, but please refrain from making uncalled for insinuations to reinforce your point. In any case, I come into this forum to hold intelligent and civilised debate and not to engage in fights with people I don't know a thing about, since my participation here stems from the desire of a pleasant break from my everyday activity and not from the need to vent any pent-up frustrations.

There's no need for you to prompt me to "try telling this to someone who lives in Israel" because I've already held similar discussions before with Israeli people in other forums - you'd be surprised to see how many of them are less fanatical in their defence of Israeli policies than people who have never set foot in the Middle East and how easily many of them can tell the difference between understanding the motives and justifying them. Even the most recalcitrant of them admit that Palestinian people as a whole don't wish to do away with Jews, but that such a notion is exclusive to Palestinian terrorist groups. On another account I don't have to remind you that I live in a country which was actually flogged by terrorism (not in the same scale it's understood - but terrorism all the same) back in the 70s so I do have an idea of what it is to live with the constant fear of terrorist attacks.

There's nothing else for me to add since I've already substantially made my points, provided references, posted a link from a neutral source (the UN) and your reply consists simply in a complete refutation of my post without providing any backing to your own claims which I could eventually argue or agree with. Furthermore, I'm not out to push my point of view down anybody's throat since I'm absolutely in favour of freedom of thought and speech.

Sting 2
first i am anti-Jewish for not liking the way the british handled the situation!, then ultraviolet7 is anti-israel for stating historical fact and backing it with evidence. it's easy to label people.

I say we demolish all of Israel/Palestine, and make it a Eastern/Western strip mall. "Holy Lands" kind of irritate me, because of all this crap...

Melon

Ultraviolet7:

I really don't know what to say except that when I said anti-Israel points of view, I meant it in the general sense of it not being a pro-Israel point of view. There are often two opposing sides to this debate. Perhaps Pro and Anti are not the best terms to be used in this discussion, and sometimes there are more than just two directly opposing view points, but I've had plenty of a discussions with other people on different issues where the same terms were used but no one took it personally including myself. The real opposite of Pro is Con and perhaps if I had said Con instead of Anti, I would not be accused of attacking you, but I guess that can depend on how one interprets a few words. I don't understand why you would twist that into a personal attack on you? I was talking about YOUR points of view on a particular topic, NOT you personally, there is a difference. I appeal to you not to create something that does not exist or imply that I have attacked you personally when I have not. I've been a member of this forum for over 2 years and never been accused of attacking anyone. I apologize for any bad feelings, that something I said, may have created. But its important that you understand that was not my intention and that my comments were not personal.

Cannibalisticarist:

It is easy to apply incorrect thoughts and idea's to what people say, incorrect interpretation. I never said you were anti-Jewish. Ultraviolet's views are selective facts and a different point of view on a very contentious policy issue. There are very credible arguements and counterpoints to everything he listed in detail.

Ultraviolet7:

It is your opinion that I do not have a solid arguement and my reference to a "a fabrication by the Arab side" was in regards specifically to if there are any legal documents that have the names of people that privately owned all the land of Israel/Palestine in the late 1800s. I never said this was in fact the case, just a possibility. Many Arabs(NOT ALL ARABS) consider terrorism to be a legitamite form of action so a fabrication of documents would not be beneath them.

When I brought up the point of not having much faith in "non-violent action" I was talking about are debate about what could or could not accomplish the Palestinian Muslims goals. I tried to explain that non-violent action had a much better chance of accomplishing their goals. You doubted my assumption. So I don't see it as inaccurate to say that you have little faith(that does not mean any faith) in non-violent action to achieve the Palestinians goal in this particular case. How you construe that I'm saying that your PRO violence by this, I have no Idea.

I'd just had an interesting discussion with are fellow interference member (RAINBOW from Israel) who told me she sometimes gets upset by certain post on this forum about the situation. I have no Idea if you have or have not talked to anyone in Israel(before you stated so), but whats the harm, in light of that, in mentioning that we have a fellow interferencer who lives in Israel and may have an interesting insight whether it be Pro or Con in this debate or neutral. Why is suggesting discussion with one of our fellow interference members construed as a personal attack?

The UN source you gave is an interesting one but while the UN is supposed to be an unbiased source, the way the report is written at least the first part of it, is clearly biased towards the Palestinian Muslims. British sources can't be assumed to be unbiased or biased towards Israel since there was a strong Con-Jewish feelings among many British officials especially the officer corp stationed in Palestine at the time of the mandate. Plus, the report should give equal space(50%) to Jewish counter arguements but does not. I could site sources as well, but then I would be accused of citing biased sources. Its fine to the list the source, but the report is not unbiased.

I apologize for any thing you have written that I might have (or did) mis-interpreted or twisted. At the same time I hope you would be careful and not mis-interpret or twist things that I say, which you have clearly done in your last post.

Arafat continually tells the world that he is for peace and condemns terrorism, then tells his own people that they should not rest until every israeli citizen is wiped out. Now, I don't know if he really believes this or he is just saying this to avoid being killed by his own people, but nothing justifies murder. I can't understand why most of the world supports the Palestinians. They are clearly the aggressors. I'll admit Israel is not 100% innocent (name one country that is), but if your very right to exist was threatened, wouldn't you take extreme measures to protect yourself?
I've heard the argument that Israel should give back the land that they took in the sixties or seventies (sorry if I don't recall the year). Maybe they should, but these terrorist groups are acting out of pure hatred; a far cry from simply wanting freedom. So even if Israel did give them their land and freedom, the terrorism would not stop. If it is just their own country that the Palestinians are looking for, then why don't they look to Jordan. From what I understand, when the UN created Israel, (1947, I believe) they also created Jordan exclusively for the Palestinians, but almost immediately afterwards, someone (I forget his name) came in and declared himself the King (Prince?) of Jordan, and he didn't want the Palestinians to live there. Ever since then, the Palestinians blame Israel. Excuse me?
When will people stop being zealots and accept the fact that human beings are human beings no matter what they believe. Live and let live.

Sting2
What I took as personal more than the "anti-Israel" issue itself (which I did) was the context in which you used it in your reply:
Well I knew it would not be long before you would come in with your anti-Israel on everything points of view.
It's OK if it wasn't your intention but you'll have to agree that it does sound aggressive. I did not twist it into a personal attack, it simply sounded like it.

Re the use of labels: my personal approach is, when referring to somebody else's points of view, to refrain from issuing qualifications especially when the individual isn't personally known since labels may easily lead to misconceptions related to somebody's true standing regarding a particular issue. That is why I avoid them, expect others to do the same and it irritates me when they are used. This labelling is particularly offensive when it entails the concepts of "anti" (or con - it's exactly the same) or "pro" a particular nation/people/race/religion since in this context the "anti/con" tag has a distinct connotation of hatred or intense dislike generally rooted in racist or other irrational motives (anti-semitism comes immediately to mind as an illustrative example), whilst "pro" in this same context is normally a notion linked to blind adhesion and approval of anything the nation/people/race/religion does. This particular debate is illustrative as to how misleading qualifying tags can be, in fact to narrow it down to two opposing sides labelled as "anti-Israel" and "pro-Israel" (or pro-Palestinian or anti-Palestinian) is to clearly to oversimplify the issue and to jump to conclusions regarding people's real stance. In fact, as I said in my previous post, "anti-Israel" implies, among other things which may be even read by some people as anti-semitism, the denial of the right of Israel to exist. People who acknowledge Palestinian rights are not necessarily denying the right of a Jewish state to exist. Some might and some might not. In the same way people who acknowledge such rights are not necessarily pro-Palestinian, a tag which may way too easily be confused with being pro-terrorist, since they might not see the light of day in everything the Palestinians do nor have any particular affinity with them. Again some might and some might not.

When I brought up the point of not having much faith in "non-violent action" I was talking about are debate about what could or could not accomplish the Palestinian Muslims goals. I tried to explain that non-violent action had a much better chance of accomplishing their goals. You doubted my assumption. So I don't see it as inaccurate to say that you have little faith(that does not mean any faith) in non-violent action to achieve the Palestinians goal in this particular case. How you construe that I'm saying that your PRO violence by this, I have no Idea.

Well it is not too difficult to construe from a statement which claims that someone "has no (or little) faith in non-violent action" that it is suggested that the said person is pro-violence since such a statement implicitly conveys the idea that the person sees violence as the only way to solve problems. In any case I never said that non-violent action didn't have a better chance to accomplish Palestinian goals. What I said is that from the very beginning decisions made in the diplomatic circles have been less than beneficial to Palestinian aspirations. In fact it was a diplomatic agreement which deprived them from part of their soil. To make things worse Israel has unfailingly refused to comply with all or some of the terms of the agreements it signed and never once was it emphatically forced by international arbiters to respect them. In view of this it is understandable that Palestinians (NOT me) have little faith in diplomacy and therefore are adept to violence as the method to force their claims. It is my opinion that if treaties satisfactory to the two parties can be accorded and the two of them are compelled to respect the terms, a solution will be devised much more successfully than with any violence. Simply it has never been the case and in view of the mounting resentment this conflict continues to create it is certainly no easy task. On another account what I said is that as a result of violent action Palestinians succeeded in drawing international attention to their problem. In fact if they hadn't we wouldn't be even discussing this issue and they would probably have got nothing at all from Israel. Again this does not mean condoning violent action but rather making an observation on its effect. It's conjecturing to say that if they had settled for the partition plan in 1947 they would have a state now, basically because the partition plan was not satisfactory for either side. This is because the Palestinians felt at the time that they couldn't settle for what was being offered to them as they did not see that they were being given but rather taken away something lawfully theirs, a situation which could very well contemplate the creation of a conflict in the near future. Such a conflict could also have been triggered from the Israeli side in view of the explicit expansionist ambitions of extreme Zionism which entertained the idea of making all of the territory of Palestine the site of the Jewish state. These irreconcilable aspirations were already more than obvious before WWII and were precisely the reason why the British had to abandon back in 1939 the partition idea suggested by the Peel Commission two years before.

I'd just had an interesting discussion with are fellow interference member (RAINBOW from Israel) who told me she sometimes gets upset by certain post on this forum about the situation. I have no Idea if you have or have not talked to anyone in Israel(before you stated so), but whats the harm, in light of that, in mentioning that we have a fellow interferencer who lives in Israel and may have an interesting insight whether it be Pro or Con in this debate or neutral. Why is suggesting discussion with one of our fellow interference members construed as a personal attack?

I never considered the suggestion of holding a discussion with Rainbow a personal attack. I merely said that I had already had similar discussions with Israelis. I have no problem in having another one. My response was to the "try telling an Israeli".

The UN source you gave is an interesting one but while the UN is supposed to be an unbiased source, the way the report is written at least the first part of it, is clearly biased towards the Palestinian Muslims. British sources can't be assumed to be unbiased or biased towards Israel since there was a strong Con-Jewish feelings among many British officials especially the officer corp stationed in Palestine at the time of the mandate. Plus, the report should give equal space(50%) to Jewish counter arguements but does not. I could site sources as well, but then I would be accused of citing biased sources. Its fine to the list the source, but the report is not unbiased.

I'm curious to find out what you would consider to be an "unbiased" source. My own opinion of an unbiased source is linked not to what the source says in itself i. e. the result, but rather to what sort of documentation and references it uses to elaborate its reports and to what endorsement the source itself has. In my opinion the UN can be considered an unbiased source prima facie because it is an international organisation which supposedly serves no particular nation's interests and therefore there should be no reason for it to publish an unobjective report. On a second analysis its objectivity is actually proved by the fact that it does not make gratuitous statements, but everything it claims is referenced to official documentation and public statements picked up from well known newspapers like The New York Times and not from sources favourable to only one of the sides in particular. Conversely I don't believe an encyclopaedia to be necessarily an unbiased source as you mentioned on another post, since even if it may try to offer an opinionless panorama of facts its objectivity depends on the sort of sources that are consulted to elaborate the entries and who publishes it. Unless the sources consulted are actually mentioned to be able to judge the degree objectivity they offer, there's no guarantee whatsoever that the information on them is "unbiased".

In the case of the UN report, the fact that its result does not imply that both sides are equally right (or wrong) does certainly not mean that it is biased since in a situation like this one it is very improbable that there is a balance between the two sides' rights and wrongs. Your claim that the report should give 50% space to Jewish arguments supposes that it gives more space to the Palestinian ones. This is simply not the case since the report does not cite Palestinian or other Arab sources at all other than bringing up statements made by some of their leaders in the same way it quotes Zionist leaders like Ben-Gurion or Begin. It's true that the report is in the end more favourable to the Palestinian side but this was not the result of giving Palestinian arguments more space, but rather of the analysis of official documentation of the time. On another account the assumption that British sources were biased against the Jews is highly dubious since British policy throughout the Mandate as well as the documents drafted by the British Government were clearly favourable to the Zionist cause.

It is your opinion that I do not have a solid arguement and my reference to a "a fabrication by the Arab side" was in regards specifically to if there are any legal documents that have the names of people that privately owned all the land of Israel/Palestine in the late 1800s. I never said this was in fact the case, just a possibility. Many Arabs(NOT ALL ARABS) consider terrorism to be a legitamite form of action so a fabrication of documents would not be beneath them.

My reference about you not having a solid argument stems from the fact that you have not presented any backing to your case. In fact you said you disagreed with everything I said but did not offer any documented reason as to why my own arguments (which I backed with references) were wrong other than you said so. Obviously if your references come from Zionist sources there wouldn't be much room for discussion. On another account, I don't quite get what is the connection between fabrication of documents and considering terrorism a legitimate method to defend a cause. In my interpretation fabrication of documents is not beneath anyone who does not have enough legitimate arguments to defend their cause, while terrorism may not be beneath anyone who does not have enough strength to defend their arguments otherwise.

I apologize for any thing you have written that I might have (or did) mis-interpreted or twisted. At the same time I hope you would be careful and not mis-interpret or twist things that I say, which you have clearly done in your last post.

It's OK. I in turn I'm sorry if I have done the same, however I don't have a clue to what it is exactly that I have twisted.

ultraviolet7 said:
In respomse to nbcrusader

What land???

Israel has acquired land following wars with neighboring countries ? countries that initiate wars, then lose. Israel returned the Sinai Peninsula to Egypt in exchange for peace.

nbcrusader said:

Israel has acquired land following wars with neighboring countries ? countries that initiate wars, then lose. Israel returned the Sinai Peninsula to Egypt in exchange for peace.

OK, but it isn't land that belonged to Israel in the first place. I mean they did not "give up" the Sinai, they returned to whom it belonged in the first place.

Ultraviolet7:

I was refering to my comments that you took to be aggressive or hostile. You mis-interpreted or twisted this to be something that it was not. Perhaps it was easy to do though, and I will do my best to avoid language that can be easily mis-interpreted or twisted to mean something else. I'll avoid the use of Pro, Con, and anti and use in place different or opposite or any word that would not be mistaken for a particular bias.

From appearence, the UN should be an unbiased source of info. I don't have time to go into detail here, but there are several points in the report where different people are clarifying the condition of certain people and using words to define them in ways that I would not after examining the same information. The UN is the some of its parts and most members of the UN can be said to have a bias view against Israel. While the selection of sources main seem legitimate, it is just that "selective", as well are the quotes from the various people. It is interesting to see which quotes they choose to reference from people and the quotes they choose not to. I consider it a biased report from what should be an unbiased organization. But thats ok, and is certainly something that everyone should read.

I'd be careful about defining someone's arguement as not being solid just because they have not cited an internet source. You certainly have not cited every single post you have made at interference, but I'm not going to then say you don't have a solid arguement for that reason alone. Its fine to list sources of info whether they be biased or unbiased and present info to back your arguement up. Whats the point in defining someones arguement as not being solid by a single criteria. Present your information and sources if you have them and make your point and move on. Were getting into the whole clarification thing now. Most post on these discussion boards are uncited and based on the general knowledge one may have gained from looking at multiple sources on a particular topic over several years. One may have read or learned from certain people the information they present here and may not be able to identify a particular source at the current time for the info and idea's they present. Don't assume that just because someone has not cited an internet source for their points that they don't have a solid arguement. As I said in that post back then, I did not have time to fully respond and still don't right now.

In my opinion I would not automatically label a source that is from a citizen of Israel or an Israely organization as a Zionist source. I've not listed sources because in any source there is a subjective quality to it and then "selective" use of objective facts. It can therefor be judged as being biased by someone. Raw statistics are usually not a problem though. I'll list sources if that would please people here though. There are a large number of sources though that are simply not available on the internet.

The UN source is great. But I would not present it as the Gospel or that it is entirely free of Bias, the report itself that is.

Unfortunately right now I do not have time for a more in depth discussion on the topic of this thread. But maybe this weekend, we'll see.

Ultraviolet7:

Just one more point. I never said "try telling an Israely". Look back at that post where I first mentioned Rainbow.

Back
Top Bottom